• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

@mu

Puzzle time

Spanish as well is completely gendered but it's mainly for making the language flow/rhyme than because they genuinely think that tables are female etc. Usually for people if there's any doubt the default is to just use the masculine term for everyone ("e.g. Do you have [un amigo] who can help?" "yes, [mi amiga] Ana can help") - notice the difference is just o/a - which sounds weird to me.

Recently I've seen a rather ugly but neat solution to this problem in more sensitive situations like job adverts where they don't want to subconsciously give out the impression that they are hoping to employ specifically males or females: they use '@' in place of the o/a!

So for "We are looking for waiters and waitresses for our restaurant" is "Buscamos camarer@s..."

On 1/17/2019 at 2:41 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

Fun tidbit: Thai for the number five is pronounced "ha," so the Thai equivalent of LOL is "555".

In Brazil they usually use "kkkk" which can sound uncomfortably like they're invoking white supremacist groups into your conversation... :o

On 1/17/2019 at 4:32 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I am so glad "they" is becoming acceptable for third person singular. When I was in grad school we had to write out "he or she," "She or he," "Him or her," or "Her or Him." Because we were far enough along to use gender inclusive language, but not far enough along not to be so formal. I believed in inclusive language, but didn't like the clunky construction, so I got good at writing sentences without third person singular pronouns.

I can't remember this ever not being natural in English? "Is it okay if my friend joins us?" "Sure, what time are they arriving?"

Happy birthday (like a week late, sorry! :)) and great work on the circus skills! I haven't seen you for a while so it stands out what cool stuff you're able to do! :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, SymphonicDan said:

I can't remember this ever not being natural in English? "Is it okay if my friend joins us?" "Sure, what time are they arriving?"

It's always been in common use conversationally, but it's become more accepted in formal written use in recent years.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

It's always been in common use conversationally, but it's become more accepted in formal written use in recent years.

Yep, in the early 2000s I still had to write out both pronouns in papers.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 6:06 PM, @mu said:

Here is a video of my last German hang / skin-the-cat, I left the sound on for the abs howl :D:stung:

Sympathy and lols xD 

Congrats on the handstand PR! You don't quite realise how long that is until you watch the video :)

On 1/20/2019 at 11:16 AM, @mu said:

This morning, I did some Java tests while having coffee.

Java and java. :P

That place feels much lighter too, which makes me lose balance at the moment because I still hold more tension than needed somehow.

Ooo, interesting.

P2 was very frustrating. On all elbow lever stuff, my chest was way too low and I kept pinching my left palm. The middle lever spin transition was even more infeasible than usual. I had to walk my feet a lot, same for lever switches. Tuck planche with knee support: very short holds & high-frog towards 1-leg: just coming out slowly with 1 leg (still making sure elbows/forearms are ok – it still feels super heavy, I will go slow). Pike PU the usual on the lazy side maybe, same for single bar PU.

To sum it up: struggle and frustration. It might be because of morning HS + doing P2 after a full day instead of early morning... and general low mood.

Sounds tough but productive anyway.

On 1/20/2019 at 11:02 PM, SymphonicDan said:

the default is to just use the masculine term for everyone

same in French...

they use '@' in place of the o/a! 

that's brilliant though!!

Happy birthday (like a week late, sorry! :)) and great work on the circus skills! I haven't seen you for a while so it stands out what cool stuff you're able to do! :D

Thank you very much! Some progress is happening yes, little by little :P

On 1/21/2019 at 6:22 PM, KB Girl said:

Sympathy and lols xD

:lol:

12 minutes ago, raptron said:

Java and java. :P

Exactly the full Java cuppa :P

12 minutes ago, raptron said:

Sounds tough but productive anyway.

Yep I'm telling myself that the next few months are going to be a bit hectic anyway, just doing the thing is good enough, no point getting annoyed/frustrated with practice, there is enough stress.

Internet is pitifully slow right now, with or without VPN, it's just a pain. I will catch up with threads as soon as I can but HAPPY BIRTHDAY LADY!!

Yesterday was rest from training. I did 1 Java quizz.

Today Cirque Physio + hanging raises + P2 hams + HS consistency.

P2 went okayish, not very good, but not very bad either. Pretty much the usual. Maybe HS to crow to firefly was similar to HS to V-sit this time (so first one was a little better than usual and second one a little worse :D  )

HS consistency: 17/25 ok, also the usual on this cycle.

Then I did aerial silks alignment + conditioning (meathooks) followed by Cirque Physio (peanut stuff & lats were particularly tender today).

/* Challenge Log */

P2:              3/3    _   3/3   2/3
HS:              3/3    _   3/3   2/3
[deload]          _    5/5    _    _

Stretching:      2/2   2/2  2/2   1/2
Hanging-raises:  6/6   6/6  6/6   3/6
Cirque-Physio: 18/18 12/12 18/18 11/18
Legs:            4/4   4/4  4/4   2/4
Ball-flex:       4/4   4/4  4/4   2/4
Aerial:          3/3   3/3  3/3   1/3

Java-tests:      3/5   5/5  6/5   4/5
Work-prep:     0.5/1   1/1  0/1   0/1
Market-review:   1/1   1/1  1/1   1/1

Aerial-puzzle:   1/1   1/1  1/1   0/1

• Like 3

I caught up with the string of colds / sore throats at work, and I am a bit under (runny nose, mild headache and fever). I tried back-bends yesterday but I did not manage at all :mask: Instead I started a kitchen inventory for our move, which was not such a great idea because I had to get my nose in a lot of spices and herbs that I never really organised properly, too much sneezing, my nose is dead.

Let's see what I can do today...

I did some work prep this morning (playing with gitlab) and a Java test.

And this afternoon, legzzz, ball drill, hanging raises and P2 elbows, followed by aerial alignment + conditioning (German hangs) /done.

Last week I bumped a big toe nail into a parallette and it's now turning purple... holding the ball on the left side is a little bit annoying, meh

P2 felt unexpectedly nice. Maybe because I'm a bit ill / under, I wasn't expecting much to start with. Not that it was better than usual technically but I wasn't as frustrated :P I took my time, rested more and I went slower on the bits I'm struggling with instead of trying to brute force my way through... I have been loathing this workout for a while so it was nice to get friendly again.

I also noticed that I think that my left arm is straight (in planche related drills / high frog) but it's not really, it's a bit weird but I have to consciously push it further.

And I'm starting to make sense of lever switches on the single bar. It has to come from a very big butt push :D :tyrannosaurus: Still using my feet but I think I know how to work that one out now.

Alignment and German hangs were a bit on the lazy side.

With all that, I did sweat some fever out, at least I'm feeling a bit better. I did have a lot of coffee though, I hope it get flushed out before HS tomorrow.

We have started looking into flats in Montpellier. It's a bit early but we want to get an idea of what's available and at what price range. We are doing a lot of street view click click walking to see what neighborhoods look like :D 

/* Challenge Log */

P2:              3/3    _   3/3   3/3
HS:              3/3    _   3/3   2/3

Hanging-raises:  6/6   6/6  6/6   4/6
Cirque-Physio: 18/18 12/12 18/18 11/18
Legs:            4/4   4/4  4/4   4/4
Ball-flex:       4/4   4/4  4/4   3/4
Aerial:          3/3   3/3  3/3   2/3

Java-tests:      3/5   5/5  6/5   5/5
Work-prep:     0.5/1   1/1  0/1   1/1

• Like 2

2 hours ago, @mu said:

P2 felt unexpectedly nice. Maybe because I'm a bit ill / under, I wasn't expecting much to start with. Not that it was better than usual technically but I wasn't as frustrated :P I took my time, rested more and I went slower on the bits I'm struggling with instead of trying to brute force my way through... I have been loathing this workout for a while so it was nice to get friendly again.

Ahhh, well tailored expectations. ;) 

2 hours ago, @mu said:

With all that, I did sweat some fever out, at least I'm feeling a bit better. I did have a lot of coffee though, I hope it get flushed out before HS tomorrow.

Glad you are on the ups!

2 hours ago, @mu said:

We have started looking into flats in Montpellier. It's a bit early but we want to get an idea of what's available and at what price range. We are doing a lot of street view click click walking to see what neighborhoods look like :D 

Google maps is so great, haha.

6 hours ago, @mu said:

I also noticed that I think that my left arm is straight (in planche related drills / high frog) but it's not really, it's a bit weird but I have to consciously push it further.

And I'm starting to make sense of lever switches on the single bar. It has to come from a very big butt push :D :tyrannosaurus: Still using my feet but I think I know how to work that one out now.

I really like your detailed reflection of your own training, good stuff. 

Sometimes those illnesses or little injuries can be a bit of a blessing in disguise hm. 

22 hours ago, @mu said:

which was not such a great idea because I had to get my nose in a lot of spices and herbs that I never really organised properly, too much sneezing, my nose is dead

I really have trouble with sorting herbs.  When I try to jst do a sniff test my nose can't seem to tell anything apart and then I just end up sneezing all over.   I did find one thing that works, though.  If I rub just a little bit of spice between my fingers and then smell my fingers [phrasing!], I can get a clear scent.  Much more effective than trying to sniff an open bottle because otherwise my nose just gets overwhelmed.

On 1/22/2019 at 6:37 PM, @mu said:

Yep I'm telling myself that the next few months are going to be a bit hectic anyway, just doing the thing is good enough, no point getting annoyed/frustrated with practice, there is enough stress.

On 1/24/2019 at 3:31 PM, @mu said:

Fantastic attitude on both fronts!

20 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I really like your detailed reflection of your own training, good stuff. 

Sometimes those illnesses or little injuries can be a bit of a blessing in disguise hm. 

I do ramble about a fair amount :P It's ok I think, sometimes I'm definitely over-analysing though!

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I really have trouble with sorting herbs.  When I try to jst do a sniff test my nose can't seem to tell anything apart and then I just end up sneezing all over.   I did find one thing that works, though.  If I rub just a little bit of spice between my fingers and then smell my fingers [phrasing!], I can get a clear scent.  Much more effective than trying to sniff an open bottle because otherwise my nose just gets overwhelmed.

Haaa yes indeed good option. I swear I will organise herbs & spices nicely in the next flat though, I should make it a challenge item :D I also still have this wishful thinking that I might be able to grow aromatic plants despite the cat :abnormal:

48 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Fantastic attitude on both fronts!

yep a tad bit annoying, but it might actually be the right time with respect to P2 as well, no way I can move to Phase 4 any time soon, so I might as well relax and take my time.

This morning: Cirque Physio, hanging raises, ball drill and HS endurance. I'm still putting too much effort in those. If I ever want to reach 1mn free standing, I will need to find the light spot and learn how to stay there. Today my longest felt more strength-based than balance-based really.

I had a few within 10-15s, then fails, then a couple just below 30s, then a 40s, then a lot of kick-up fails (hips way past shoulders), one 18s, one 28s and I called it a day for HS.

Then some furniture painting / refurbishing, which was a total time sucker. E. is also not very well because stress is a trigger in epilepsy. No full blown seizure but vertiges/coordination problems, a lot of fatigue and short absences. But we are still keeping up with our todo list, touching wood, it should be fine.

Later in the evening, I did aerial alignment + conditioning but did not manage my puzzle... I was too tired again. That goal might have been a bit too ambitious... too tiring + I find it difficult to explore new stuff right now. I have too much on my mind. I did set that goal for that very reason, to do something different from rep work and get a break from my huge todo list. But it seems that actually reps / pre-assigned flows are much easier to get along with, I don't have to think too much, I'm familiar with the moves, so it's safe as well, I don't need extra focus.

It could also be that Friday afternoon/evening is not a good time for this. Maybe I should do it in a morning session instead, when I'm fresh.

And my nose is still a bit funny, but it looks like it was a lightweight cold. So basically I lost 1 day of practice, I did not catch up and I skipped the puzzle. Let's see next week.

/* Challenge Log */

P2:              3/3    _   3/3   3/3
HS:              3/3    _   3/3   3/3

Hanging-raises:  6/6   6/6  6/6   5/6
Cirque-Physio: 18/18 12/12 18/18 15/18
Legs:            4/4   4/4  4/4   4/4
Ball-flex:       4/4   4/4  4/4   4/4
Aerial:          3/3   3/3  3/3   3/3

Java-tests:      3/5   5/5  6/5   5/5
Work-prep:     0.5/1   1/1  0/1   1/1

• Like 2

22 hours ago, @mu said:

I do ramble about a fair amount :P It's ok I think, sometimes I'm definitely over-analysing though!

Well I like your ramblings too. :D 

• Like 1

Saturday:

1 Java test

Hanging raises, ball drill, Cirque Physio, hip stretches

Work and afterwards more painting/refurbishing. I slept early and well, it was sooo nice!

This morning: Hanging raises, Cirque Physio, P2 hams and HS consistency.

Then a lot of work. I'm training and transferring responsibilities to a colleague, and while he is an absolutely lovely chap, I find those meetings quite draining.

I'm already in week 3 of Phase 3 Cycle 2, so I was due for a ref video. Here it is with some details.

HS & straddle holds (warm-up) => ok (not in video)

1-leg crow rotation => ok (working it)

Bent arm stand => still deep

Double arm lever to straddle hold back to lever => I added a transition back to elbow lever, I think it might help with that butt push thingy I have to work on in so many drills :) Legs are still bending and feet touching the floor

HS to crow to firefly => a couple okayish ones, and some full transitions but with feet help, and a few fails

HS to V-sit to seiza => a few good ones, legs are starting to straighten in the back but the front bit is still really hard without bending

HS lowers => not very good: first set without band was utter crap (elbows going the wrong way, arching, head coming up etc..), and with the band I still had difficulty lowering and balancing.

HS 5+s consistency

3/5 3/5 4/5 4/5 2/5 => 16/25 => ok

Here is the ref vid for HS consistency with a so so set and a better set, in real time.

Doing inverts with a slightly runny nose was … gneee …. annoying! But blood rushing to the head felt good.

• Like 3

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

Monday was REST but an otherwise very long day.

My vaping device broke but I managed to replace it ... and maybe the old one can still be fixed (the vaping market has massively improved in the past years, it used to be really hard to find pieces – or even liquid nicotine). And work+++. And E. is still having epilepsy-related difficulties, his meds also have side effects that are not helping. Long day.

Today we had to go find some packaging we are required to use in order to ship my rig elements (we can't use cartons...) but we haven't found what we need yet (big plastic tubes). I may end up selling it... In any case, I cannot use it right now because my FIL took some sample elements to see if he can find something in his area. So hanging is off the table for now. I might be able to do some stuff in the little square next to our place but (1) it's very polluted except the week-ends or until late in the evening and (2) I have to gear up Islamic style, so pfff, not sure I can be bothered right now.

Anyway today: P2 elbows & glutes (+ Cirque Physio + ball drill) and I was also due for a ref video, below, including some cannibal cat action for Mad Hatter :P

Quick summary:

Warm-up: low frogs + PU => ok (not on vid)

Lever spin flow => getting much better at moving my hand while balancing in the middle, I do use my chin on the opposite bar to balance sometimes, but there is definitely some progress. The lever switch on the single bar is still too hard. And I still pinch my palm on the left, it seems related to my chest position (? too low => pinch)

Knee supported tuck planche => ~9s

High frog towards 1-leg extension LR => simply putting the balancing leg down for now, definitely an elbow killer, taking my time on that one.

Elbow lever switches => improving on double bar, on single bar still pretty tough.

Pike PU => still losing the back, I think it's very visible on the video (losing protraction and arching even), I was probably too tired by then

Single bar PU with under grip => ok

/* Challenge Log */

P2:              3/3    _   3/3   3/3   2/3
HS:              3/3    _   3/3   3/3   1/3
[deload]          _    5/5    _    _     _

Stretching:      2/2   2/2  2/2   1/2   1/2
Hanging-raises:  6/6   6/6  6/6   5/6   2/6
Cirque-Physio: 18/18 12/12 18/18 15/18 11/18
Legs:            4/4   4/4  4/4   4/4   2/4
Ball-flex:       4/4   4/4  4/4   4/4   2/4
Aerial:          3/3   3/3  3/3   3/3   0/3

Java-tests:      3/5   5/5  6/5   5/5   1/5
Work-prep:     0.5/1   1/1  0/1   1/1   0/1
Market-review:   1/1   1/1  1/1   1/1   0/1

Aerial-puzzle:   1/1   1/1  1/1   0/1   0/1

• Like 3

Wednesday

Backbends (not a great session but okayish), Cirque Physio + Java tests

Thursday

Legs, ball drill, P2 hams

I usually do hamstring curls with silks, I'm not sure what other hams drills I can do, nothing came to mind. I did pistol squats progressions instead and the usual GHR.

P2 was the usual, on the lower side, with a bit more feet support/help and more fails.

HS consistency: 17/25 again, a lot of 17 this cycle.

Overall 5s+ consistency score for this cycle: 17+19+17+17+16+17 over 150 = 68% (same as last cycle + 1 rep)

Today

Java tests (including 1 extra)

Market review: reviewed 2 companies. One in publishing, using standard Java tech, but I couldn't find much about salaries and their website is a bit generic/dull regarding their activities. I reviewed another one, a bigger consulting company, ok salaries and I saw a Java ad, but on their website, they mainly list SAP positions so a priori not interested.

I'm counting both as 1 market review because it was fairly quick to identify them as “not so interesting”.

Work prep: nope

Cirque Physio, ball drill

HS endurance: struggle bus, the best I could manage were a few at 30s but most were much shorter.

HS endurance range for this cycle: 30-48s

And I still only have half a rig so no silks alignment/conditioning and no puzzle.

It's the end of the challenge for me! Will review a bit later when time permits.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, @mu said:

HS endurance range for this cycle: 30-48s

Really, really nice. Feels like your handstands have really made a leap lately.

Now that you've done an initial market review have you seen anything potentially interesting?

Yeeeees, the handstand endurance train is making no stops.  And ah well. You have plenty of things to train without hanging. ;) 

Sorry to hear E's still not doing so hot and that his experiencing rough side effects. Good thoughts to you guys.

Love seeing all the video! also very impressed by your skills, whoa. 

The puzzle thing.. when stressed it's just really nice when someone else (or a program) tells you what do hm. 

Hope all the moving prep goes as smoothly as possible, also to keep the stress down for E.

17 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Really, really nice. Feels like your handstands have really made a leap lately.

Yes Dec-Jan were a step-up somehow. Yesterday was so so (on the frustrating side) but even so so is much better than it used to be, I'm trying to keep that in mind.

I'm really dying to have a class or a workshop though.

17 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Now that you've done an initial market review have you seen anything potentially interesting?

So far 2 companies look interesting in terms of product/vertical, technologies and "atmosphere" (the way they write ads / website content). But I wouldn't mind going for a consulting company either, I will have to see how interviews go.

13 hours ago, raptron said:

Yeeeees, the handstand endurance train is making no stops.  And ah well. You have plenty of things to train without hanging. ;) 

True about hanging, I also know I won't lose everything with 1 or maybe 2 months off and it will come back anyway. But I'd like to find a way to practice at least once a week, to avoid heavy frustration when I get started again :P

13 hours ago, raptron said:

Sorry to hear E's still not doing so hot and that his experiencing rough side effects. Good thoughts to you guys.

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Hope all the moving prep goes as smoothly as possible, also to keep the stress down for E.

Thanks! E. still has a lot of stress. He was very excited/idealizing at first and now he is in the fearful stage. I think that would be all pretty normal, but epilepsy makes it a tad bit more delicate to handle :abnormal:

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Love seeing all the video! also very impressed by your skills, whoa. 

The puzzle thing.. when stressed it's just really nice when someone else (or a program) tells you what do hm. 

Cheers!

The aerial puzzle was too difficult and tiring for my current life context. I wanted to add a bit of fun and discovery but it turned out it's easier for me to keep to reps and known flows indeed. I just don't have enough focus to handle more than that. It's fair enough I think. I did start learning a new throw and catch with my ball, so it was not a complete loss.

So here is the final evaluation. [R] means “rig missing” so I couldn't have a full practice and the upper % takes that into account while the lower one doesn't.

/* Challenge Log */

P2:              3/3    _   3/3   3/3   3/3 100%
HS:              3/3    _   3/3   3/3   3/3 100%
[deload]          _    5/5    _    _     _  100%

Stretching:      2/2   2/2  2/2   1/2   2/2  90%
Hanging-raises:  6/6   6/6  6/6   5/6   2/6  83%-96%[R]
Cirque-Physio: 18/18 12/12 18/18 15/18 18/18 96%
Legs:            4/4   4/4  4/4   4/4   4/4  100%
Ball-flex:       4/4   4/4  4/4   4/4   4/4  100%
Aerial:          3/3   3/3  3/3   3/3   0/3  80%-100%[R]

Java-tests:      3/5   5/5  6/5   5/5   6/5  100%
Work-prep:     0.5/1   1/1  0/1   1/1   0/1   50%
Market-review:   1/1   1/1  1/1   1/1   1/1  100%

Aerial-puzzle:   1/1   1/1  1/1   0/1   0/1   60%-75%[R]

Practice was consistent despite the rig story and a bout of cold (I think something is still hanging to my leg, I feel very tired + headache + nose still runny).

Work-wise: all good except extra prep work. I thought I'd have the time but I didn't. I have too many extra “last minute before departure” requests at work, time for personal training is getting a little bit limited.

I'm not sure what I will do for the next challenge. I think I'm challenged enough right now :P

For sure this week is DELOAD, and then I will follow my usual practice minus the rig drills. P2 Phase 3 Cycle 3 already!!

I do want to keep hanging at least once a week. There will be that. But otherwise, I'll just get on with life. We are leaving in exactly 4 weeks!

• Like 2