Turning My Alter Ego into My Reality Part 1

Mindrah

Hi All!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and are looking forward to an awesome new year!

Last year I did my first 4 Week Challenge and I have to say that I didn't make it but! I'm not the person I was yesterday and so here I am again giving it another whirl. 

I have identified 6 areas of my life I want to improve over this year. In no particular order:

1) Learn Japanese

2) Work on eating healthy and releasing weight

3) Work on my fitness especially in my ability to run

4) I am 35 years old, it would be nice if by the end of the year I actually felt like an adult (hard to put in words and measure but I am working on it!)

5) Professional Development

6) Art/Creativity

It makes sense to me to base this challenge around these 6 areas so I will have 6 goals for this challenge.

Health

Complete a 30 Day Keto Challenge

Last year I paid for a 30 day keto program with shopping lists and recipes. I made it to around day 20 when I got ill and stopped. After the first 4 days I had soo much energy and I didn't feel tired all the time! So I know it will work for me if I just stick to it. Because I don't want to wait until New Years to start improving my life I decided that when I got back from my holiday over Christmas I would do a two day fasting cleanse and then begin. So officially my 30 Days began on the 29th of December 2018. 

Fitness

Complete the first 4 weeks of a 12 week Couch to 5k Program

A few years I bought a learn to run program that is basically a couch to 5km program. It is a little more extensive however as on the days when you don't run it has strength training. I completed this training last year but on my last day I was only somewhere around 3.5-5km even though I was running for 30 mins straight. Because the program had finished however I didn't have a plan to continue and I stopped running. This time I have a plan for when it ends. I also have around 20 5ks to run for medals I have been buying for virtual races but have never actually completed them...

Adulting

Complete a 30 Day 30 Minutes of Family Time Challenge

Figure Out What it Means to be an Adult

Like I said above, this part is hard to put in words and measure but I know some of it involves parenting which is why I started a 30 day challenge on the 15th of December 2018. I will complete this mid January. It turns out I do already spend time with my kids, I just didn't... realise it? I am not like my parents though, which is probably why I feel that I am not adult like. So what is an adult? That is another thing I plan to have an answer for by the end of this challenge.

Japanese

Reach level 10 in WaniKani

Japanese is the language of my soul. Just hearing it takes me to a happy place so of course I want to learn to speak it! I don't know any Japanese speaking people but I am not going to let that stop me! I found this website a few years back that helps you to learn by focusing on reading. It has levels and uses mnemonics to help you remember meaning. So I want to reach level 10 by the end of January. I am already at level 2. 

Professional Development

Read the Book 'Schools for All Kinds of Minds'. Take notes, discuss in a group and apply learning to my teaching

After having kids I decided to change professions and become a teacher. I do not have a full time job which is maybe something I want but I have only worked in one school for reasons and I only work 1 day a week unless they call me in to cover). This means my CV looks rather dismal. I plan to improve it and myself (as I actually love to learn) by investing in some professional development courses.

Art/Creativity

Create Japanese characters in photoshop for later use in Japanese learning books

A couple of years ago I realised that I can actually draw, nothing amazing but much better than stick people. I also discovered a love for graphics and I put the two together drawing things and then teaching myself how to turn them into graphics using photoshop. 

It is my plan to review my progress every Sunday so that I can adjust if needed for the following week. So I am committing to one post every Sunday however I will probably post more than that as things progress. I know if I am posting here then I am still committed to completing the challenge and it will motivate me to stick to my goals and be working on them so I have things to post!

• Like 3

~If you change today, tomorrow will be different~

Hi, I'll be following your challenge. I want to encourage you to post more than once a week, it will help you stay engaged with your challenge. Also, I want to encourage you to follow some other threads as well, as that will help you get invested in what others are doing and keep you excited for your own progress.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Hello and welcome!  

I love your goals!  Sometimes I find it helpful to create some sort of tracking spreadsheet to keep track of how well you're doing.  It helps keep me accountable if I get too busy to remember to post updates here.  

Happy New Year and good luck!

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

Thank you Tanktimus! I have posted on a few fellow Druid's posts and will make time every week to check out the forums and find some fellow Rebels with goals similar to mine to follow!

Thank you LittleTurtle! Last year I did tracking with an exercise book that I kind of turned into a bullet journal. This year I thought I would go a crazy and make a digital version using Google Sheets. It isn't as... creative? But it does have the added bonus of being quicker, simpler and of course there is charts and tracking for my weight loss and run goals. I do miss pen and paper but I know I can always return to it if this isn't working :)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Mindrah said:

This year I thought I would go a crazy and make a digital version using Google Sheets.

I love Google Sheets!  :)

• Like 1
Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

Even though the challenge hasn't officially started, I thought I would do an update. But first,

FOOD!!

494726022_IMG_85151.thumb.JPG.e6a4628be33347bcd4bdb615e0679953.JPG

I cooked a thing! 

I know it isn't one of my goals for this challenge but it is one of my goals to try cooking 10 new things this year, so here is number one! It was soooo yummy! Creamy Keto Shrimp Tacos!

Fitness

I completed day 4 today! Don't you love it the day after an ab workout when you come to realise just how much you actually use your abs? ...

Adulting

I have been spending time with my children more. I want to make eating family dinner a mandatory thing, unfortunately when I work the children usually eat at my in-laws house which makes it hard to do this as a habit (often I work when I am called in so it can be difficult to plan). An excuse I know, but I am working on it :) 

Japanese

I made it to level 3 today! I have been looking into it though and I see posts where people say it is normal for a level to take a week so I am actually uncertain now if I can actually reach this goal. I will keep trying! But I also won't be upset if I don't make it seems I wasn't aware before that it might take so long.

Professional Development

Read the Book 'Schools for All Kinds of Minds'. Take notes, discuss in a group and apply learning to my teaching

I read the introduction!... 

Art/Creativity

Create Japanese characters in photoshop for later use in Japanese learning books

I made the outlines of two of the characters. Turns out it is probably a bit job, which is probably why I haven't attempted it before. But I shall persevere! 

I must admit that I am feeling a little frustrated atm. I have soo much motivation, and sooo much to do. Unfortunately I cannot do it all right now! And that is frustrating... I guess I am worried about what will happen when I go back to work on Monday and am wanting to do as much as possible before that happens...

• Like 2

So it is Sunday, and this is supposed to be the day I make sure I check in and update my progress. I kind of feel that there isn't much more progress since my last update but I suppose it never hurts to remind yourself! Here it is:

Health

Today was day 9 of my 30 Days of Keto. I am a little concerned about how I am eating. I didn't check if I was in ketosis last week and I probably should have. I am supposed to check on Wednesdays. Even if I am not, I have been eating a lot better anyway and I haven't been hungry even though I am exercising and I am not sure if my plan takes that into account. I did discover an app called LifeSum for tracking all the things and it has a few keto plans which I think I might check out at some point, but the food is... kind of fancy? It is hard for me to firstly cook, but also find ingredients when things get fancy. Like cauliflower rice sounds nice but I don't have the shiny machine to make it nor for Zucchini spirals for spaghetti. A lot of the sauces that recopies call for I also haven't managed to find. Anyway... I am still going good. 

Fitness

I have completed my first week of learning to run. Current max run without stopping is 2.10mins. It was tough... hopefully I as just having a bad day...

Adulting

I have been spending the 30 mins with my family but I am wondering if I should be doing more. Like we play board games a lot, does this count as spending time then? We also try to read to the kids every night before bed. I wonder if I would feel better about this if I did 30 mins of just asking the kids what they want to do for the next 30 mins? But what if they just pick games anyway cos that is something they like to do? So far my favourite times is when I manage to get everyone sitting down to eat together. My husband however does not enjoy it...

Japanese

I am at level three. Still. This takes forever, but that is the point, delayed intervals between recall to help you remember better. There is just no rushing it. I have been trying to do reviews as much as I can. It is going to be harder from tomorrow though as I go back to work. 

Professional Development

I have been totally horrible with this and I am not sure why. I need to finish my note taking before the 18th as that is when my discussion is. It is not even a boring book or anything like that so I wonder why I am struggling to do it? Maybe because it is 'work' and I am still on holidays till tomorrow? Fingers crossed that is what it is and tomorrow I get right into it.

Art/Creativity

I have not worked anymore on this either. Which is a worry because I went up a level so now there is even more characters for me to create! And with me going back to work... Maybe I will be kind to myself and try and complete at least one per day. That way it is not super time consuming but it is being done slowly but surely.

On a side note, I also made it to level four of the NF handstand course! I have never been here before which is exciting. I do feel like I really need to work on my core muscles for this though as on level four I see it taking me quite some time to move on due to my inability to do body rocking with my arms out and the crow pose is just... Well, I did find a Yoga with Adriene crow pose 10 min practice video so I am going to be using that on practice days to help out. I love her and the way she makes it so... comfortable to fail, if that makes sense. 

So tomorrow is the official start day which is exciting! I hope everyone else is all ready to go. I'll have to spend some time going through the new posts that I haven't stalked yet :D 

• Like 3

First day back at work check in. 

I got up at 4am and went for my C25k run/walk. It wasn't a struggle to get up or get going thankfully. I ate breakfast and then the craziness started with me needing to pack my bag and get the kids ready for the school bus. In hindsight, I really should have packed my bag last night!

Got to the security gate at work later than I had hoped and realised I had left my pass at home. Went to pull my ID out of my wallet and realise I had taken it out for the part of the holidays we had gone away for and I hadn't put it back in my wallet... panic! Thankfully the security guards know me so the let me pass this time, could have been a disaster. 

Completed my 10k steps for the day by 7:30 am (over achiever) and then thought, you know if I drink all my water sooner rather than later... Probably not a good idea when you can't just up and go pee when you want to! Still. Drank 9 glasses of water by 10:15 am. 

Last night when I was trying to figure out how to do lunch at work I decided that instead of eating my salad for lunch which would probably end with me having to take many containers to work, which is an hours journey and the food going yuck cos it's out of the fridge, I would swap my dinner and lunch around. So I took out of my prawn/curry/soup things out of the freezer as I was leaving and sat it out until morning break to let it though then popped it in the fridge. I heated it up in the tiny kitchen we have and then hung out there like a total creep to eat it. Not sure why I didn't go sit with my colleagues while I was eating (I went after). I guess I'm not comfortable (yet?) with people asking me about my food. Especially seems I actually cooked it... I just don't want any judgement. Although they probably judged me worse because they probably thought I was not eating or I was a creep for hanging out in the kitchen... anyway!...

2pm came and went and I was not starving hungry like I usually am (before going keto). This was one thing I was worried about. Around 4:30pm when I was leaving work, with an hours journey ahead of me, I was feeling the first signs of hunger and it made me think. Would it be bad to eat dinner at work? When I feel truly hungry is when things start to go down hill and to be honesty I like to eat dinner around 5pm because I am usually in bed by 8 (if I can manage it, I am a horrible sleeper so I need to spend like 9hrs in bed to get 8hrs sleep). Anyway, this thought made me a little sad, like work is taking over my entire life... (lol first day of work after holidays thoughts...).

So I got home around 5:30 dumped my stuff and straight away made my salad and sat down to eat. Thankfully the kids have gone to my Mother-in-laws to visit for a few hours so I can sit down and eat in peace. 

And now to try and figure out how to squash all the things I have been doing in my days off, into the next two hours... Because in two hours my wow raid begins and I have to be there, even if I don't want to be and it means I won't get to bed till 11, and then I will get up tomorrow at 4.... Wish me luck for tomorrow! Think I'm going to need it!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mindrah said:

Not sure why I didn't go sit with my colleagues while I was eating (I went after). I guess I'm not comfortable (yet?) with people asking me about my food. Especially seems I actually cooked it... I just don't want any judgement. Although they probably judged me worse because they probably thought I was not eating or I was a creep for hanging out in the kitchen... anyway!...

Many people don't have good boundaries when it comes to what their co-workers are eating. They feel free to comment on other's food without thought for how they are impacting people with their statements. Your fears are valid. The trick is to know if those particular co-workers are going to be cool about it or not. 

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

6 hours ago, Mindrah said:

I guess I'm not comfortable (yet?) with people asking me about my food. Especially seems I actually cooked it... I just don't want any judgement. Although they probably judged me worse because they probably thought I was not eating or I was a creep for hanging out in the kitchen... anyway!...

I went through the EXACT same thing for quite some time when I first changed my eating habits.  I ended up taking my lunch out to my car and eating it there so people would leave me the hell alone.  Sorry you're going through this, but it does fade eventually.

People's judgments typically have nothing to do with you anyway...if that helps at all.  :frog:  

• Like 2
Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

So today is kind of supposed to be my day of wins. It is the day I weigh in, check if I am in ketosis and do my 'big run' for the couch to 5k program I am doing (in other words I run my new PB). So I started off checking for ketosis, which I am in, yay! But then I weighed myself... and I have put on weight :( . And then I ran and I have a new PB yay! But... I put on weight :( 

The scale is not the best indicator of progress. That could be water instead of fat that made the scale go up. Weight can fluctuate for weird reasons from day to day. You are doing the things you set out to do, the scale sometimes takes a while to catch up and is a liar.

Well done on the PB.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

The scale is a useful tool, but can be a dirty, dirty liar!!  Do NOT let the number get you down!  And even if the number on the scale isn't a fluctuation, the number doesn't define you.  

Sending love because I know how disheartening seeing an increase can be.  :love_heart::love_heart:

• Like 2
Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

Thanks! 

I am over my my pity party and I’ve decided to focus on all the wins. 

I have stuck to a keto diet for almost two weeks!

I have not eaten take-out in over two weeks! (Huge win considering I used to order every meal except breakfast!)

I have almost completed my second week of my couch to 5k program!

I am still alive!!!

I got a job interview! 

I am finding balance between work and home! 

So I know I am doing a good job and I know that even if I didn’t lose weight my insides are much healthier than they were two weeks ago!!!

• Like 2

That looks like a LOT of win to me!!  A huge congrats to you!  Keep up the great work!

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

Following! I like your challenge title... so true. I'm interested in your Japanese progress, especially since I totally get that its the language of your soul. I feel the same way and I'm in the same boat where I don't have any one to practice with so I get discouraged and lose interest. You're inspiring me to pick it up again. I used Remember the Kanji and an SRS, but WaniKani looks really cool. I'll have to check it out! Douzo yoroshiku

11 hours ago, stormblessed said:

You're inspiring me to pick it up again. I used Remember the Kanji and an SRS, but WaniKani looks really cool. I'll have to check it out! Douzo yoroshiku

Ohayo Gozaimas!  

I am glad I have inspired you! Wanikani only has three free levels. These take around 2 or 3 weeks to work through so you get a real feel for what it is like. I think it’s brilliant so I did buy the life time access. It has 60 levels all together. I did find some other resources, if you want me to share them with you let me know! And if you want someone to practice with, I am happy to attempt it, I can’t claim that you would understand a word I am saying but, kaizen! My new motto!

My first week back at work was tough. Getting back into the rhythm of work, dealing with not being able to do the millions of things I want to be doing because I don't have the time anymore... I think I coped better and managed to do more in the first three days vs. the last two days when I was basically getting home, putting the kids to bed and then putting myself to bed. I think some of this is self inflicted because I "choose" to get up at 4am so I can exercise every day but it is still tough. I am averaging around 6 hrs sleep per night and that is super tough, I love to sleep, but if I put the kids to bed at 7:30 and after settling down manage to get to bed at 8 and then am getting up at 4, the most I could manage is 8 hrs, but unfortunately I can't just fall asleep on demand. 

Anyway, I did survive the week! Here is my check in a day early because I got put on a last minute first aid course, so am basically out both days of my weekend from 7 till 7 (including travel time) so I'm not sure that I will be coherent enough tomorrow to do it (did I mention that I'm tired?).

Health

Today is day 14. I still haven't started following the other program. I need time!!! I seriously need some time! This week worked because every meal I cooked the week before I batch cooked and froze some things. This week I haven't cooked a thing because of time issues and tiredness. My plan was to cook today and tomorrow and make sure I had extras for the week but then I got put on the course last minute so all of my day is gone and by the time I got home today I am just so tired! I cannot see tomorrow being all that better although it is rest day so I won't have to get up so early. So the plan... the plan is... Ask someone to cook stuff for me and  trust that they will follow the recipe and potion it out correctly...

Fitness

Two weeks down! Current max run without stopping is 3.38mins. It was actually easier than last run which sounds crazy. I still don't feel like I 'pushed' myself, but I don't want to break something and not be able to do anything at all. I beat my last run so... kaizen! continuous small improvements!

Adulting

So... With work started... I basically get home and put my kids to bed. I know that putting them to bed is spending time with them, but it is like, 5 minutes. If I feel the need to justify this, I do spend the first 10 mins of their day getting them ready for school. Two kids that's 20 mins plus 10 mins for both of them to get to bed then it is 30 minutes. How sad is that though? I spend 30 minutes with my children every work day... Is this where I mention that that 10 minutes in the morning makes me almost late for work everyday? I think we need to move closer to my job. And send the kids to the school I teach at!

Japanese

I made it to level 4! But that does mean I have only made 2 levels in two weeks which really does show that it takes a week to make a level. So I am officially adjusting this goal to reach level 6 in WaniKani! (this is why you should research before you set the goal and not after!)

Professional Development

I have made it to around the 4th chapter. This is another thing I was planning to do this weekend... I have 5 days to finish reading it...

Art/Creativity

So I haven't done any more work on this and because I know it is time consuming I am officially adjusting this goal as well. My new goal is to create one small book in Japanese putting in as much as I know, leaving spaces for me to add those that I do not. I totally just had this brilliant idea btw! I'm so excited to make it that I am going to do that now!!

11 hours ago, Mindrah said:

Two weeks down! Current max run without stopping is 3.38mins. It was actually easier than last run which sounds crazy. I still don't feel like I 'pushed' myself, but I don't want to break something and not be able to do anything at all.

You are so smart to pace yourself.  Every time I try to run, I always push myself too much and then I don't want to run at all for a long time.  I shall take a page out of your book next time!  :frog: 

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

6 hours ago, LittleTurtle said:

You are so smart to pace yourself.  Every time I try to run, I always push myself too much and then I don't want to run at all for a long time.  I shall take a page out of your book next time!  :frog: 

Slow and steady wins the race! 

• Like 1

So this week is the week I am supposed to try intermittent fasting for the Keto 30 day plan that I am loosely following. I thought it might be good as eating at work is one thing I do struggle with, however, I am not sure that it is really a good idea. The earliest I can manage to get home is around 5:30 and by that time I am ravishingly hungry. I know that feeling hungry at all is a trigger for me to order some kind of comfort/junk food, which is probably my biggest concern here. My other concern is that I wasn't hitting macros before and now I am finding it even harder. No matter how hungry I am, I cannot eat almost all my macro allowance in one sitting. This is why I am supposed to be having 'dessert' but I haven't actually had time to make any. 

My will power muscles are getting some huge flexing. I am proud that I have stuck with it so far, I am just aware that I cannot survive on will power alone and I need to find some way of making this easier so I don't have to rely on it so much to get me through. So do I just give up on the idea of intermittent fasting or do I persevere, realizing that it will get easier on the weekend when I have time to cook stuff?

I think I'll post this in the NF Keto group to see what they think too.

• Like 1