• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike Wazowski

Mike Wazowski: Back to the Grind

10 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

1) that I'm really happy with my current role and 2) I'm still really interested in a long-term trajectory that's heavy on data science and quantitative modeling. Good to get confirmation that the path I'm on is a good fit for me.

This is good stuff! As is the 10 count handstand! Very cool! 

• Thanks 1

giphy.gif

Challenge update: Still chugging along, though meditation, prayer, and stretching have all gotten quite spotty. I'll need to reinvigorate my evening routine back to its normal strength this week. But workouts are starting to feel very doable again, and dance practices are no longer involving me hanging on to survive. Calorie targets may require some tweaking to cut as quickly as I'd like, but I won't feel comfortable making that call until later this week.

Friday: Worked out in the morning, albeit abridged, grabbed a bagel and coffee, and headed into work (I'm trying to make a weekly post-workout bagel into a little treat built into my week, because bagels are delicious and carbs post workout feel great). Work itself was ok, still slow with lotsa meetings to learn a little bit more about how the business operates while waiting to really get all my accesses sorted out (I currently can't log in to the unix server where all my teammates do most of their work, so that's...not so fun). But the work day ended and I was off to the studio for dance practice with my partner before a quiet night with Netflix and cheese (not a real thing, but I'm making it one).

Saturday: Bunches of cleaning and light errands and maybe something else before dance, then a packed evening of birthday dinner for a friend then a super late showing of the RBG movie with a different subset of the same friend group - I really liked the movie and it was a good reminder (although I'm keeping in mind it's a dramatized version of RL events) that no one who achieved success had a path full of sunshine and daisies the whole way (Mark Manson's s*** sandwich quote seems to apply well here). It was also just a fun movie with some awesome snappy one-liners. Dance was especially good, we started the game planning process for the next year-plus with our coach and got the first ~1/3 of our open rumba choreography - it's already starting to feel nice to dance, and that'll only get better with time!

Sunday: The usual - wake up and cook breakfast, power through a couple hours of dance, run some errands and meal prep for the week. Not a whole lot else to report, although I taught my first 1:1 lesson for the first time in a while (with a girl who's been out of commission for a bit with an ankle injury) and it was a nice reminder that I really enjoy doing that in addition to working on my own dancing.

Today's Java: Double fisting a large coffee from Einstein Bros. that I got free with my bagel (they have an awesome rewards deal thing) and a French pressed texas pecan coffee from home.

Random workout updates: In addition to strength starting to return, handstands are starting to feel solid! I need to push myself to hold for longer, but I can feel my ribcage and legs stacking reasonably well - I'm also noticing the same when I check form in the gym mirror (which I know isn't *really* advisable with handstands).

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

- I'm also noticing the same when I check form in the gym mirror (which I know isn't *really* advisable with handstands).

To be fair, if you can do that and stay in balance I’m just impressed! Super nice progress!

34 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I'm also noticing the same when I check form in the gym mirror (which I know isn't *really* advisable with handstands).

Dude. I can barely stand up and check form in the mirror. Don't sell yourself short.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I'm also noticing the same when I check form in the gym mirror (which I know isn't *really* advisable with handstands).

I'm guesssing for balance? It's a common issue for me when I try to form check in a mirror while doing yoga.

And, what Grumble said.

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

To be fair, if you can do that and stay in balance I’m just impressed! Super nice progress!

Haha, it's more like I turn my head to the side to look, catch a brief glimpse of my line, then immediately need to bail because I've thrown my barely there balance off..

4 hours ago, Grumble said:

Dude. I can barely stand up and check form in the mirror. Don't sell yourself short.

Hard to sell myself short at my height? :P But in all seriousness, thanks! Easy to forget in the moment that where I'm at already is its own achievement, now we're just building on the base.

36 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I'm guesssing for balance? It's a common issue for me when I try to form check in a mirror while doing yoga.

And, what Grumble said.

Yup, for balance - turning your head while balanced on your hands adds extra challenge because you're moving a big block of your weight. I don't have the skill to really pull it off, so I end up just needing to bail earlier than I otherwise would.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Still chugging along, though meditation, prayer, and stretching have all gotten quite spotty. I'll need to reinvigorate my evening routine back to its normal strength this week.

Yeah, I go through periods where I let the small things slip. I'm still trying to figure out how to stay consistent when longer waves of tiredness/laziness/lack of inspiration/distraction roll in. 

8 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

But workouts are starting to feel very doable again, and dance practices are no longer involving me hanging on to survive.

Progress! Yay! 

4 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Yup, for balance - turning your head while balanced on your hands adds extra challenge because you're moving a big block of your weight. I don't have the skill to really pull it off, so I end up just needing to bail earlier than I otherwise would.

Not to mention, the rest of the body tends to follow where the head goes... if you fall over, please be careful not to land on something vital!

You also heavily use vision for balance so when the frame of reference changes it makes it very difficult to balance. It’s definitely a higher level skill. :) 

Video is great though. ;) 

14 hours ago, Harriet said:

Yeah, I go through periods where I let the small things slip. I'm still trying to figure out how to stay consistent when longer waves of tiredness/laziness/lack of inspiration/distraction roll in. 

Yup - happens to all of us, I'm sure. Doesn't help that a lot of my autopilot routines are thrown off as I figure out new daily routines for a new job.

Progress! Yay! 

Yay indeed!

12 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Not to mention, the rest of the body tends to follow where the head goes... if you fall over, please be careful not to land on something vital!

Haha don't worry - I think I'm mostly past the landing dangerously phase of learning to handstand. As long as I don't get too cocky.

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

You also heavily use vision for balance so when the frame of reference changes it makes it very difficult to balance. It’s definitely a higher level skill. :) 

Video is great though. ;) 

Haha video requires me to be thinking clearly before sunrise. Give it a couple months and I'll think of it, maybe.

Week 2, Day 1: The blahs have set in at the new job. I still don't have access to any of the tools I need to do my job, and no one on my team seems to know how to help me so it's very frustrating. I know I'll get through it without a problem, but it's frustrating sitting in limbo rather than feeling like I can make a contribution. BUT, I resolved to be more resilient in bouncing back from the annoyances today and focusing on what I can do.

After work was pretty solid, I led my first class of my SHINY NEW lesson plan - thanks to dancing with a high school teacher, I've slowly been convinced of the importance of lesson planning; and the focus of the session really seemed to help - the kiddos didn't seem overwhelmed with information, I felt more focused, and I left the lesson feeling AWESOME about having covered what I intended to cover. And the best part, I saw one of my students immediately start practicing what we had just done in class after class ended while waiting for her mom - fantastic to see that she had internalized the importance of what we were working on and had a clear idea of what she could of on her own to work on it.

Then did a short practice where I tried to apply a technique of closing my eyes and visualizing the movement I wanted to create from a third person perspective, then doing the movement - we did it as a warmup during rounds on Sunday and it seemed promising for me, and lo and behold, it was just as promising for solo practice! Felt like I made some solid progress on how I'm executing my new rumba choreography, though it remains to be seen if coach and/or partner agree there.

After practice, took a quick trip to the grocery store (totally out of milk) and picked up some clif bars because I did *not* feel like cooking an oat bake for post-workout breakfasts (I'm hitting a point, I think, where I'm willing to spend a bit more money to make my meal prep much easier day to day - still gotta experiment with exactly where this leads, but I suspect in the future I'll only be making one cooked meal for lunches with a bigger portion and LOTS of veggies, and my morning and afternoon snacks will be some combo of easy to grab and go foods). There was also a disastrous attempt at making mini frittatas, I'm going to try the results today but there's a real possibility that I scrap them - I may have used spoiled bacon fat in the veggies and I think I overcooked the eggs trying to get them to set. Stick to quiche, mike.

Brought back stretching and prayer in the evening, still not sure where, if anywhere, meditation fits in my day (though it should probably go...somewhere rather than nowhere).

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Then did a short practice where I tried to apply a technique of closing my eyes and visualizing the movement I wanted to create from a third person perspective, then doing the movement - we did it as a warmup during rounds on Sunday and it seemed promising for me, and lo and behold, it was just as promising for solo practice!

This works very well for making sure you're lifting with good form, it's not surprising it helps your brain focus on what you want the body to do with other activities as well.

49 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Brought back stretching and prayer in the evening, still not sure where, if anywhere, meditation fits in my day (though it should probably go...somewhere rather than nowhere).

Is there something in your busy day you can remove, to make room for meditation? I cut out "check NF forums" from my morning routine, and use those 15 minutes to meditate instead. I'm currently debating if I can take ten minutes form my lunch break and meditate during that time instead of just keep working at my desk...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

The blahs have set in at the new job. I still don't have access to any of the tools I need to do my job, and no one on my team seems to know how to help me so it's very frustrating. I know I'll get through it without a problem, but it's frustrating sitting in limbo rather than feeling like I can make a contribution. BUT, I resolved to be more resilient in bouncing back from the annoyances today and focusing on what I can do.

I like how you're not letting the frustration overpower you. It's probably inevitable--and temporary--at a new job when settling in anyway. 

the kiddos didn't seem overwhelmed with information, I felt more focused, and I left the lesson feeling AWESOME about having covered what I intended to cover. And the best part, I saw one of my students immediately start practicing what we had just done in class after class ended while waiting for her mom

This is all really good stuff! Well done! 

Maybe prayer could go immediately after meditation, when your mind is quiet? Or does stretching do that for you? 

16 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

This works very well for making sure you're lifting with good form, it's not surprising it helps your brain focus on what you want the body to do with other activities as well.

Yep - don't know why I never made the connection before. I'm VERY visual and analytical, so just being able to make a mental model in my head before I start a movement makes it so much easier to execute consistently. It's a no duh moment in retrospect, but gosh it wasn't obvious.

16 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Is there something in your busy day you can remove, to make room for meditation? I cut out "check NF forums" from my morning routine, and use those 15 minutes to meditate instead. I'm currently debating if I can take ten minutes form my lunch break and meditate during that time instead of just keep working at my desk...

Uh.....absolutely. I don't even know if I'm truly busy or just "busy," but I for sure could make time. Probably wouldn't hurt to steal 5-10 minutes at some point in my work day, and almost certainly would make me more focused overall.

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I like how you're not letting the frustration overpower you. It's probably inevitable--and temporary--at a new job when settling in anyway. 

I mean...I pretty much shut down with frustration yesterday. But I recognized that it happened and limited it to a one-day affair rather than letting it derail a whole week. So....progress!

This is all really good stuff! Well done! 

Thank you!

Maybe prayer could go immediately after meditation, when your mind is quiet? Or does stretching do that for you? 

Stretching is doing a good job quieting the mind for me, I think. I'm gonna experiment with putting meditation mid-workday and see what happens - in my ideal fantasy land, it'd probably happen near the start of my morning routine, but that doesn't seem realistic - once I'm up and moving, I want to just keep moving and get out the door to work out.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2019 at 12:10 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

a quiet night with Netflix and cheese (not a real thing, but I'm making it one).

This 45738180925% should be a real thing and I fully support you in your quest to make it one.

On 1/14/2019 at 12:10 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Dance was especially good, we started the game planning process for the next year

YAY! When are you guys doing your first comp with your shiny new rumba routine?

On 1/15/2019 at 2:58 AM, Mad Hatter said:

So much this. My teacher has been doing drills with us where we releve and then quickly look up and then to the sides WOW IT'S HARD.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:41 AM, Mike Wazowski said:

I actually had to give up meditation for this reason.  Even though it's only 10-15 minutes I was finding it REALLY hard to squeeze it in, and those "only 15 minute" long tasks really add up and are definitely felt when I'm doing stuff right before bed.  I found that I get what I really want out of meditation from my time during ROMWODs breathing exercises anyway.  Is it possible you're getting what you need out of meditation from prayer (or something else) and that's why you're not really forcing yourself to make meditation a priority?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Raxie said:

This 45738180925% should be a real thing and I fully support you in your quest to make it one.

With our powers combined, I think we can make it so! One of the snack items I'm looking at for future weeks is cubes or slices of cheese, and I'm kind of excited by that fact!

YAY! When are you guys doing your first comp with your shiny new rumba routine?

At the latest, late April in Boston for MIT's collegiate comp (speaking of, @raptron and @CourtnieMarie, I'll be in Boston the weekend of 04/27 - lemme know if y'all wanna grab tasty food!). The hope is that we'll have at least 3 of our 5 open latin routines up and running by then, with all 5 up and running by the end of June when we head to New Orleans for a local USA Dance comp.

So much this. My teacher has been doing drills with us where we releve and then quickly look up and then to the sides WOW IT'S HARD.

Haha I believe it - even just working on getting my head and chest to stay horizontal and stacked has thrown off my balance by shifting where my head sits for a ton of stuff. It's surprisingly hard to readjust back to normal balance when shifting the head even a little bit.

I actually had to give up meditation for this reason.  Even though it's only 10-15 minutes I was finding it REALLY hard to squeeze it in, and those "only 15 minute" long tasks really add up and are definitely felt when I'm doing stuff right before bed.  I found that I get what I really want out of meditation from my time during ROMWODs breathing exercises anyway.  Is it possible you're getting what you need out of meditation from prayer (or something else) and that's why you're not really forcing yourself to make meditation a priority?

Amen, little daily tasks totally add up, and I think that may be why I'm struggle-busing with the meditation. I probably need to combine prayer and meditation into one super habit (that takes the same time as prayer) because they're both serving similar purposes for me right now. And then remember to really do it, every night (turning off the music / podcasts is key for that - I think I may have a mental block where I'm scared of total quiet in my home? TBD on that).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

At the latest, late April in Boston for MIT's collegiate comp (speaking of, @raptron and @CourtnieMarie, I'll be in Boston the weekend of 04/27 - lemme know if y'all wanna grab tasty food!). The hope is that we'll have at least 3 of our 5 open latin routines up and running by then, with all 5 up and running by the end of June when we head to New Orleans for a local USA Dance comp.

DEFINITE YES ON TASTY FOOD. I should be around that weekend! :) 

• Like 1

With our powers combined, I think we can make it so! One of the snack items I'm looking at for future weeks is cubes or slices of cheese, and I'm kind of excited by that fact!

I'm definitely here for contributing both Netflix and cheese power to this effort. 

Nice!! That's super exciting.  I feel like I remember you saying at some point you were doing syllabus, did that change when you got a new partner or did I mis-remember, or were you saying you wanted to do a closed routine in an open comp?

Also AHHHH FOMOOOOO

Amen, little daily tasks totally add up, and I think that may be why I'm struggle-busing with the meditation. I probably need to combine prayer and meditation into one super habit (that takes the same time as prayer) because they're both serving similar purposes for me right now. And then remember to really do it, every night (turning off the music / podcasts is key for that - I think I may have a mental block where I'm scared of total quiet in my home? TBD on that).

Combining them sounds like a good idea! 

Also, I find when things are too quiet it's actually distracting? I use a white noise machine for sleep and meditative purposes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, raptron said:

DEFINITE YES ON TASTY FOOD. I should be around that weekend! :) 

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

YESSS I just put it in my calendar :D

Huzzahhhh!!!! Looking forward to it - our competition is in Cambridge (this is me pretending I know where Boston neighborhoods are) but not sure where we're staying / airbnb'ing yet - I tasked my partner with figuring that out since he knows the area from going to school there. If y'all have recs of things I must see my first time in Boston, let me know!

50 minutes ago, Raxie said:

I'm definitely here for contributing both Netflix and cheese power to this effort. 

giphy.gif

All. The. Cheese! Or, you know, reasonable quantities of it consumed at enjoyable intervals.

Nice!! That's super exciting.  I feel like I remember you saying at some point you were doing syllabus, did that change when you got a new partner or did I mis-remember, or were you saying you wanted to do a closed routine in an open comp?

Ahh, so clarity there:

- New partner and I started by working on syllabus together as a supplement to our existing open work (me with 2 different amateur partners back-to-back, him pro/am with our coach)

- When we made the partnership official, we knew we'd jump into open

- BUT we're keeping the syllabus routines up and running for joint purposes: 1) easy way to work technique and other fundamentals topics so that they can translate into our open work and 2) we'd like to compete them at least sometimes (USA Dance comps frequently offer just open and syllabus for same-sex, so the only way we can dance twice is by having a set of syllabus routines - and we'll likely do them at the pre-champ level for collegiate comps when we enter those, just for kicks)

Also AHHHH FOMOOOOO

Boston's basically next to NJ, right? :P Or at least, they're close by Texas standards.

Combining them sounds like a good idea! 

That's the plan, now just need to test and iterate.

Also, I find when things are too quiet it's actually distracting? I use a white noise machine for sleep and meditative purposes.

Umm maybe same actually. I found a couple ambient jazz stations on Spotify, gonna experiment with them for evening wind-down music (including maybe the prayer, or maybe I turn it off to pray specifically - will probably try both and make some decisions based on experiments).

Week 2, Day 2: 

giphy.gif

^^Not actually drinking espresso, but this gif makes me giggle.

Life in General: Work yesterday was much better, rather than getting mopey about access still being an issue, I doubled-down on learning about new-to-me software (Tableau) by watching free training videos on their website. This is now surfacing a new problem that there's an upper limit to the amount of video content I can watch without getting bored and losing focus, but at least there's a new problem to solve! Gonna experiment today with a mix of watching videos and playing around with Tableaus that co-workers have put together to teach myself things by breaking things (in a non-production copy of the reports, just in case anyone was worried that I've gone full stupid with the new job). After work, booked it home, set out stuff for today (food / clothes) and bagged up a couple bags of textiles for recycling (blankets / bedspreads I never use, coats that are now too big on me) and transferred the rest of my "get this out" pile to my balcony closet so it's not a pile in my living room. Slow progress, but it feels good!

Then went to teach - lesson plan is still going well and giving me focus - and practice. Practice was GREAT, but also DRAINING - I'm working on increasing how active my back muscles can be during all my dances, and that's leading to some serious DOMS from really really using them during reps with my partner. It's definitely increasing the quality of our movement and will be great over the long term, but in the short term it stinks being this drained and sore from practice. It definitely does just feel like DOMS / tired muscles though and not a pending injury, so I'm comforted by that.

Minimalism / Finding "Enough": Echoing @Gemma, I'm really loving this P333 thing, along with switching to a job with a more formal dress code - I feel like my sense of style is being forcibly upgraded by only keeping clothes I really look good in and trying to layer things differently so that I'm not wearing THE SAME 5 outfits week after week. I still need to attempt some intentional dryer shrinkage on two of my sweaters, but I am really liking this experiment so far (recognizing I'm only a week and a half in). It's also really comforting to know my closet could get even smaller and I'd still have room for everything I want to keep in it (my closet's big by NYC standards, tiny by TX standards). Oh, and I'm identifying lotsa stuff both in and out of my closet that could be minimalized away, so it feels like it's slowly becoming my overarching life philosophy (as long as I can keep this same minimalist mindset in mind when buying new things, otherwise I'll still have lots of purging and organizing to do always).

Challenge: Calories and exercise are happening pretty consistently - update on calorie targets in spoiler:

Spoiler

Data is suggesting my weight loss is not quite as rapid as I'd like (a little under a half pound per week), and meal prep for two and a half meals at work is getting cumbersome (oat bars for second breakfast, lunch, and second lunch) so I'm gonna make a couple food tweaks for next week: just bring a clif bar to have along with a protein shake for post-workout second breakfast, make a bigger portion for lunch with LOTS of veggies, then bring a greek yogurt with some cereal and syrup and either some slices of cheese or peanut butter and crackers for an afternoon snack if I need / want it. Should net out to a reduction of ~100 cals / day (so not much in the grand scheme of things, trying to make small tweaks as I tweak) and a LOT less prep time on Sunday evening. Context: I'll have dance til at minimum 8 at night most work nights, getting home closer to 9:30 or 10 on partnered practice nights, so I do almost all my eating on the go on work days.

Time for learning hasn't been terribly consistent, but I spent my lunch hour reviewing the linear algebra and multivariate calculus I'll need for my statistics class this term, so progress! And I'll be trying to do that with at lest some lunch breaks in the future (specifically when I have partnered practice in the evenings) so I do have a plan of attack to make time for learning daily (lunchtime when I have dance practice in the evening, evening when I don't on workdays, PLUS weekend mornings before dance).

Stretching is coming back to be a consistent habit, as is prayer; I think meditation will be dropped as a separate habit and just combined into prayer time, at least for now.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Ahh, so clarity there:

- New partner and I started by working on syllabus together as a supplement to our existing open work (me with 2 different amateur partners back-to-back, him pro/am with our coach)

- When we made the partnership official, we knew we'd jump into open

- BUT we're keeping the syllabus routines up and running for joint purposes: 1) easy way to work technique and other fundamentals topics so that they can translate into our open work and 2) we'd like to compete them at least sometimes (USA Dance comps frequently offer just open and syllabus for same-sex, so the only way we can dance twice is by having a set of syllabus routines - and we'll likely do them at the pre-champ level for collegiate comps when we enter those, just for kicks)

Oooooooh.  This makes sense now. Yay for more dancing and more routines!  

Boston's basically next to NJ, right? :P Or at least, they're close by Texas standards.

It's actually really not that far since I'm closer to NYC than I am to the rest of NJ XD My best friend lives in Boston so I go there semi-frequently and I wouldn't complain about the commute for a nerd meet up - buttttt that weekend is my studios spring showcase so boooo. :(

Umm maybe same actually. I found a couple ambient jazz stations on Spotify, gonna experiment with them for evening wind-down music (including maybe the prayer, or maybe I turn it off to pray specifically - will probably try both and make some decisions based on experiments)

I have an app that just makes rain noises - it's more or less white noise that doesn't sound like static.  I literally cannot sleep without it any more.

I'm really loving this P333 thing, along with switching to a job with a more formal dress code - I feel like my sense of style is being forcibly upgraded by only keeping clothes I really look good in and trying to layer things differently so that I'm not wearing THE SAME 5 outfits week after week.

Doing a capsule wardrobe is next on my list once I finish decluttering my clothes situation! I'll probably be diving into the capsuling in mid-2019 since that's around when my declutter goals should be complete. Super interesting to hear about others experiences with it before I get going on it!

my closet's big by NYC standards, tiny by TX standards

What even is big by TX standards??

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Huzzahhhh!!!! Looking forward to it - our competition is in Cambridge (this is me pretending I know where Boston neighborhoods are) but not sure where we're staying / airbnb'ing yet - I tasked my partner with figuring that out since he knows the area from going to school there. If y'all have recs of things I must see my first time in Boston, let me know!

good to have your partner for reference! Cambridge is a great area directly north of the Charles River and the center of Boston. It has a cute "square" with bookshops and coffee and music venues. April shouldn't be too deathly cold but will probably still be in the 40s so dress warm if you want to walk around! Otherwise there is plenty of ride-sharing to/from cozy bars :D 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, miss_marissa said:

I refuse to believe this is a closet and not a fancy boutique of some sort.

It's actually a closet in a texas mansion. I remember seeing this on HGTV before I turned the tv off in disgust and jealousy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raxie said:

Oooooooh.  This makes sense now. Yay for more dancing and more routines!  

Yup - kinda a weird setup, but I'm really happy with it. Partner and I both lean heavily towards classic, recognizable basics for things we enjoy watching, so much so that we're leaning towards 

It's actually really not that far since I'm closer to NYC than I am to the rest of NJ XD My best friend lives in Boston so I go there semi-frequently and I wouldn't complain about the commute for a nerd meet up - buttttt that weekend is my studios spring showcase so boooo. :(

Haha another time! We *for sure* want to do Columbia in early December, so pencil that in! :D

I have an app that just makes rain noises - it's more or less white noise that doesn't sound like static.  I literally cannot sleep without it any more.

Hmm, might need to look into what Alexa can do for me there - I'd love to have something with a ~20 minute sleep timer that'd coordinate with my lights dimming out if I can manage it.

Doing a capsule wardrobe is next on my list once I finish decluttering my clothes situation! I'll probably be diving into the capsuling in mid-2019 since that's around when my declutter goals should be complete. Super interesting to hear about others experiences with it before I get going on it!

I'd recommend it - surprisingly liberating for me! Plus now I can be that guy in the office with the "fun fact" that I only own 5 dress shirts (technically, I'm down to 4 in my capsule right now, but might pick up another one that's tempting me and fits well with my style - I had 6 but cut one because the fit wasn't comfortable and another because of I didn't really like the color on me).

What even is big by TX standards??

See grumble's picture below - that might be an actual woman's bag level of her closet in Houston. But normal apartment closets are a solid 6' x 6' closet or maybe even bigger, I think? Enough for 2 long racks of hanging space plus some shelves, and hopefully way more than I'll ever need or want going forward. Mine is still technically a walk-in, but every Dallasite who sees it comments on how small it is, lol. But a large apartment closet in Dallas can be stupid large (like maybe 8' x 10'?) and I cannot fathom why it's necessary.

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

Image result for texas sized closet

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

good to have your partner for reference! Cambridge is a great area directly north of the Charles River and the center of Boston. It has a cute "square" with bookshops and coffee and music venues. April shouldn't be too deathly cold but will probably still be in the 40s so dress warm if you want to walk around! Otherwise there is plenty of ride-sharing to/from cozy bars :D 

Haha I have gone full Texan and will *definitely* be dressing warm! But exciting to hear that there's good coffee nearby! (Even if I'll have to drag my non-coffee-drinking partner there) And cozy bars are always a win :D

Week 2, Day 3:

giphy.gif

Not a whole ton to report - did the work thing, access requests are still going slowly but feel like some progress is being made (if nothing else, it's a point of shared commiseration with coworkers who've started relatively recently). After work, did dance practice and teaching, and it was another solid practice where new topics (this time, focusing on how light / low tone my partner and I could make our bodies) really seemed to make a difference in how things were feeling. Excited to keep the experiment going and maybe, just maybe, usher in a new era for my dancing (but that's probably an overreach). Got home, somehow lost an hour to IDK what, before drinking a smoothie and eating some almonds and washing up dishes and being out for the count. My evening routine needs some tweaking, I'm not quite sure where the time went yesterday night but I definitely missed my bedtime and didn't wind down as early as I would've liked. I also noticed myself eating just because things were already planned and not cause I was really hungry or wanting a treat (in the case of dark chocolate) - I'll try to monitor for that in the future and make sure I'm really enjoying what I'm eating or that it's serving a bodily need (i.e. hunger). Stretching didn't happen, nor did prayer or meditation. Goals are really slipping, but I got a pretty decent night's sleep which I've been short on this week, so we're still calling it a win of sorts.

Oh, and adding a training log because I haven't posted one in forever, from this morning's upper body training:

Spoiler

Standard joint warmup

Handstand kick-ups (freestanding): 5 x 5 attempts (mostly a couple seconds up top, but had a couple where I stuck it a bit longer, maybe some even over 5 seconds)

L-sits w/ parallettes; 4 x 15s

Tuck front lever hold: 3 x 30s

Tuck planche hold: 17s, 13s, 10s

Tuck front lever rows: 3 x 6

Stability ball crunches / situps: 3 x 13

Chin ups: 3 x 6

V-ups: 5# x 3 x 8

Dips: 3 x 11 (these were a struggle to finish, and push-ups / floor presses definitely suffered as a result)

Compression hold: 3 x 30s

Pseudo planche pushups: 8, 6, 8

Mountain climbers: 3 x 8

Floor press pushups: 5, 5, 6

• Like 2