• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Akura

Akura travels the eightfold path

So... I'M BACK! I dropped out of the 4-week challenges and the forums as a whole in May, I think. The last big thing I wanted to do was to finish my dissertation until summer. But, yeah... That didn't happen XD.

Overall, the last year was kinda janky. In particular, I gained 10kg and slowed down or stopped almost all hobbies. On the plus side though, I worked out a lot in the summer; I found out that sumo deadlifts are very good and do not worsen my back pains; I moved in with girlfriend over the last few days; my dissertation is on the brink of being finished and I plan to hand it in on January 18th; I started to work on a new project at university and I can stay there for five years. So... things move ahead, but right now I'm pretty stressed out. However, I'm in the mood to get back into making personal progress and, hence, 4-week challenges.

The first challenge of 2019 will be a bit irregular. While moving my back pains got a bit worse and so I'll probably won't jump into working out with both feet. I want to go see my orthopaedist again and start things slow. Also, I /do/ have to finish off my dissertation, so until that is done at the end of January, other things will take a backseat. 

The overall focus of 2019 will be on losing weight again, trying to find a workout routine/program that is sustainable and building/finding "three essential" hobbies. The last part will be especially interesting: It is a concept Thomas Frank mentioned in his Info Geek Podcast. He said that everyone should have three hobbies with a different focus each. One physical one that goes beyond simply working out for fitness' sake. One entrepreneurial one in which you work on something "seriously" (that maybe can be a second career). And a skill-based one that challenges you and in which you want to improve.

As I have a million different interests and I often get overwhelmed by all the choices, I want to boil them down and use Thomas Frank categories as a guideline. My physical hobby will probably be either dancing, martial arts or bouldering. My entrepreneurial one might be programming video games or drawing comics. My skill-based one will probably be playing Go or playing the guitar.

To start off the year, I will focus primarily on tracking and planning. And the theme will be one of my favourite games of 2018:

Octopath Traveler

4aaf3b87d60bed9082952516172bf945.jpg

As all eight protagonists of Octopath Traveler have their own personal adventure, they all will give me their personal tasks. But, as in the game, there will be an overarching theme. Most tasks for these next weeks will be things I try to do daily or at least as often as possible. But some will be one-time things. As this first challenge is aimed at tracking and planning I won't have any particular goal numbers I want to achieve. Moreover, I will try to start tomorrow to take advantage of week zero. But with a Silvester party, a ton of things to wrap up in my old apartment and red tape I probably won't do much.

Okay... Let's go!!

Ophilia_thumb.png Ophilia's Quest

Meditating for 5 minutes.

Ophilia, the Cleric, wants me to take more care of my mind. The main tool for that is meditating. I did it here and there in the past; sometimes using headspace. But during the last year I saw little pay-off and couldn't keep up the dicipline. I want to give it another try and I'll start with 5 minutes, hopefully daily.

Cyrus' Quests Cyrus_thumb.png

Study something for 15 minutes.

Cyrus, the Scholar, wants me to study. As mentioned above, I want to build a habit out of, potentially, learning to program and playing Go more. Moreover, I'd like to learn a language. Either Japanese -- because I love the culture -- or Polish -- because of my girlfriend. So, I will try to sit down every day for 15 minutes and study one of these two languages or C++ or Go.

Tressa_thumb.pngTressa's Quest

Reevaluate budget for 2019.

Tressa, the Merchant, wants me to take care of my money. Last year I managed to save a little bit. But my girlfriend and I bought a big wardrobe and so it's significant less now. And since we want to build a future together I have to pay more attention on how I spend my money. First step, analysing by expenses from last year and adjusting my budget plan for 2019.

Olberic's Quest Olberic_thumb.png

Working out.

Olberic, the Warrior, wants me to get strong. So, I'll try to work out at least three times a week, preferably six times. I will do it with varying intensity mostly depending on how I feel every day. The workouts will mostly be standard bodyweight workouts mixed with yoga.

Primrose_thumb.png Primrose's Quest

Looking into dancing classes.

Primrose, the Dancer, wants me to dance. Taking dancing classes is the most likely "physical" hobby I'll start this year. So, I will look into the lessons I can get at the dancing school my girlfriend is in. And I'll research which other course her and me might want to do.

Alfyn's Quest Alfyn_thumb.png

Tracking food & weight.

Alfyn, the Apothecary, wants me to take care of my diet. Gaining 10 kg was tough to witness during 2018. But with the stress of my dissertation and other things it was to hard to focus properly on my diet. I have to change that and the first step is to track how much I eat.

Therion_thumb.png Therion's Quest

Be nice to others.

Therion, the Thief, wants me to be a bit more outgoing and trustful. So, I'll try to do something nice for another person. Mostly, this will mean to post in someone else's challenge thread.

H'annit's Quest Haanit_thumb.png

Morning & evening movement.

H'annit, the Hunter, wants me to heal my injured back. First step, apart from getting an appointment with my orthopaedist again, is to do a little movment routine every morning and ever night. Right now I already do a 5 minutes routine every morning. But I want to expand it a bit and also do it at night.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well... Many small things to do. Let's see how much I can do. No stress, no big performance goals. Mainly observation and evaluation. Let's start strong!

tenor.gif

• Like 1

On 12/30/2018 at 3:00 PM, Akura said:

As I have a million different interests and I often get overwhelmed by all the choices, I want to boil them down and use Thomas Frank categories as a guideline.

100% hear this. I spent many many years chasing after a tangle of interests and not getting far. I bit the bullet and narrowed it down to 4 hobbies I allowed myself to really focus on, and have been making solid progress. 

Ophilia, the Cleric, wants me to take more care of my mind. The main tool for that is meditating. I did it here and there in the past; sometimes using headspace. But during the last year I saw little pay-off and couldn't keep up the dicipline.

What "pay off" are you looking for? Attitude change? Making it a habit? Deeper awareness? 

Overall, the last year was kinda janky. In particular, I gained 10kg and slowed down or stopped almost all hobbies. On the plus side though, I worked out a lot in the summer; I found out that sumo deadlifts are very good and do not worsen my back pains; I moved in with girlfriend over the last few days; my dissertation is on the brink of being finished and I plan to hand it in on January 18th; I started to work on a new project at university and I can stay there for five years. So... things move ahead, but right now I'm pretty stressed out. However, I'm in the mood to get back into making personal progress and, hence, 4-week challenges.

Wow, lots going on. Grats on finding strength-building moves that help; I was equally surprised on squats and knee health, funny how things work out. Early grats on finishing your dissertation, that will feel great once it's off your plate and is a completed achievement. Slow and steady, you've got this.

Quick update:

Added running to Olberic's Quest. Probably won't do it in the next two to three weeks, but it's good to have it in the back of my mind.

Adding tracking steps walked per day to H'annit's Quest. Want to walk more in 2019 again.

Ophilia’s Quest:
+1 Meditating  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Cyrus’ Quest:
Studying 
||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Tressa’s Quest:
Budgeting

Olberic’s Quest:
+1 Working out ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Running  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Primrose’s Quest:
Dancing research

Alfyn’s Quest:
+1 Tracking food  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Tracking weight  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Therion’s Quest:
Being nice 

H'annit’s Quest:

+2 Morning movement  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Evening movement  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+1 Tracking step  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

4 hours ago, Manarelle said:

What "pay off" are you looking for? Attitude change? Making it a habit? Deeper awareness? 

Not completely sure yet. Calmer mind, more control over my bad thoughts, more mindfulness throughout the day. I guess...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Akura said:

Not completely sure yet. Calmer mind, more control over my bad thoughts, more mindfulness throughout the day. I guess...

Is that something you could sneak in like during a bus ride, or at a time where you know you've got a couple minutes to kill while out and about, rather than "I must set aside 5 minutes to do this!"? My big trigger was driving, and I found if I specifically dedicated driving time to being mindful and backing off, it helped a lot more than 5 minutes sitting at home. Helps to have an idea of what "success" looks like to gauge if the goal is going well. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Is that something you could sneak in like during a bus ride

Maybe... Will try it once I'm back in my normal routine. But usually, I need a bit structure to do these things. Sneaking them in rarely works for me in the long run.

21 hours ago, Manarelle said:

specifically dedicated driving time to being mindful and backing off

Sounds like a really good idea! Unfortunately, I don't drive often enough. But I'll try to keep my eye out for such an opportunity!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Day 3 of week 0 and I realised something: Starting a new challenge and trying to build new habits while I'm on vacation and two days after moving into a new place is a real pain in the ass!! E.g., I usually wake up earlier than my girlfriend and I try to sneak out of the bedroom. But then I forget to step on the scale which is in the bedroom. I hope these things start to normalise once I'm back at work next week.

I continued to read Atomic Habits by James Clear (Highly recommend! Nerd Fitness is mentioned!) and I hope it'll keep me motivated to actually do all those small habit changes I now I have to do over the next days.

Ophilia’s Quest:
Meditating 

Cyrus’ Quest:
+1 Studying  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Tressa’s Quest:
Budgeting

Olberic’s Quest:
Working out 

Primrose’s Quest:
Dancing research

Alfyn’s Quest:

Therion’s Quest:
+1 Being nice  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

H'annit’s Quest:

+1 Morning movement  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+1 Tracking step  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 10:00 PM, raptron said:

They might be small changes, but there are a lot of them. Good luck. :)

Thanks! I hope I don't get overwhelmed by the sheer number of changes I want to make... -_-;

So... Week zero is cancelled, more or less. A friend came to visit for a few days and he stays at our place. Also, we spent most of the time together -- no chance to do anything regular I planned to do. He leaves tomorrow evening, so hopefully I'm back on track in week one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Akura said:

Thanks! I hope I don't get overwhelmed by the sheer number of changes I want to make... -_-;

So... Week zero is cancelled, more or less. A friend came to visit for a few days and he stays at our place. Also, we spent most of the time together -- no chance to do anything regular I planned to do. He leaves tomorrow evening, so hopefully I'm back on track in week one.

fall1.png

• Like 1

So... First day back at work. Kinda stressful. And stomach problems drained my energy in the afternoon. Also, not really in the mood right now to write more. Gotta get back into the habit of posting daily. Makes both sharing and tracking easier.

Ophilia’s Quest:
Meditating 

Cyrus’ Quest:
Studying  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Tressa’s Quest:
Budgeting

Olberic’s Quest:
Working out 

Primrose’s Quest:
Dancing research

Alfyn’s Quest:
+3 Tracking food  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+3 Tracking weight  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Therion’s Quest:
Being nice  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

H'annit’s Quest:

+2 Morning movement  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+3 Tracking step  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

• Like 1

Had a long discussion with my advisor about my dissertation today. I won't be finished next week as planned. But the end of January should be more than doable. But that means that this challenge will continue to be a bit janky. On the plus side: I managed to do my movement routine at night for the first time. I want to do it right before I shower each night to build the habit. But I have problems actually remembering it. Partially because of the new flat, I guess.

Ophilia’s Quest:
Meditating 

Cyrus’ Quest:

Tressa’s Quest:
Budgeting

Olberic’s Quest:
Working out 

Primrose’s Quest:
Dancing research

Alfyn’s Quest:

+1 Tracking weight  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Therion’s Quest:

H'annit’s Quest:

+1 Evening movement  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+3 Tracking step  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Ophilia’s Quest:
Meditating 

Cyrus’ Quest:

Tressa’s Quest:
Budgeting

Olberic’s Quest:
+1 Working out 

Primrose’s Quest:
Dancing research

Alfyn’s Quest:
+3 Tracking food  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+2 Tracking weight  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Therion’s Quest:

H'annit’s Quest:

+3 Morning movement  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

+4 Tracking step  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Sorry to hear about the dissertation delay, that's probably something you want to get done and off your list, eh? Making good progress on your other quests though. 

5 hours ago, Manarelle said:

that's probably something you want to get done and off your list, eh?

Definitely! At the moment it's rather annoying. The work itself is interesting and fun, but producing this monography becomes quite tedious towards the end.

5 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Making good progress on your other quests though.

I'm not sure... So far it seems I do a quest 100% or 0%. Will reflect on everythings towards the end of the week a bit...

4 hours ago, raptron said:

End of the month! That's not too bad! 

Well... First it was July (2018), then September, then December, then this Friday... I just hope this series will converge towards a finite point... XD

Decided to use tally marks not only to measure how often I do things, but also on wich days. I.e., you'll see things like  ||||||instead of  |||||||.

Ophilia’s Quest:
Meditating 

Cyrus’ Quest:

Tressa’s Quest:
Budgeting

Olberic’s Quest:
Working out 

Primrose’s Quest:
Dancing research

Alfyn’s Quest:

Therion’s Quest:

H'annit’s Quest:

+1 Tracking steps  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Bloody hell! Why do I start to get motivated at 17 o'clock? Anyway... Overall a good day today!

Ophilia’s Quest:
Meditating 

Cyrus’ Quest:

Tressa’s Quest:
Budgeting

Olberic’s Quest:
Working out 

Primrose’s Quest:
Dancing research

Alfyn’s Quest:

Therion’s Quest:

H'annit’s Quest:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

Is that a bad thing?  

Well, when I'm starting work at 9 o'clock and try to finish at 19, it's quite annoying when motivation kicks in at 17 o'clock. If I have concrete things to get done, it's not a problem. But at the moment I have to be "creative" and then reluctance throughout the day is pretty obstructive. At least for me...

Today was a totally stupid day. Woke up at 3 in the morning and couldn't get back to sleep. And I had problems with the program compiling my dissertation and I spent hours to fix it. But I still managed to work quite a bit. Didn't result in many pages, but still quality work. However! I didn't do anything for the challenge.

Random thought: I started Tales of Vesperia on the Switch today. I'm expecting to replay it at least three times, and I plan to use Japanese texts and voice-overs for the replays. Had the same thought for Breath of the Wild. Maybe that'll speed up my Japanese endeavors...? I'll try it out in a couple of weeks/months...

Ophilia’s Quest:
Meditating 

Cyrus’ Quest:

Tressa’s Quest:
Budgeting

Olberic’s Quest:
Working out 

Primrose’s Quest:
Dancing research

Alfyn’s Quest:
Tracking food  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Therion’s Quest:

H'annit’s Quest:

Morning movement  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Ophilia’s Quest:
Meditating 

Cyrus’ Quest:

Tressa’s Quest:
Budgeting

Olberic’s Quest:
Working out 

Primrose’s Quest:
Dancing research

Alfyn’s Quest:

Therion’s Quest:

H'annit’s Quest:

On 1/16/2019 at 1:46 PM, Akura said:

Well, when I'm starting work at 9 o'clock and try to finish at 19, it's quite annoying when motivation kicks in at 17 o'clock. If I have concrete things to get done, it's not a problem. But at the moment I have to be "creative" and then reluctance throughout the day is pretty obstructive. At least for me...

Ahhhh, gotcha. Yes, that's a bad thing. Wasn't sure what the schedule was. Frustrating. 

2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Wasn't sure what the schedule was.

Yeah, was just a random burst of frustration.

Today was a bit weird.

The coordinator/assistant of my current project is pregnant and will be on maternity leave starting in June. The best solution for everyone would be if her responsibilities and tasks could be split among the other team members; instead of finding a substitute. In particular, our boss asked me to take care of all tasks concerning tech. Problem is that in the next winter semester I want to give a lecture. And both things together might be to much.

At the moment my mind is swamped with thinking about how to finish my dissertation until next Friday. So, it's hard to think about this reasonably right now. At January 29th we have meeting with the whole team. Hopefully, I have an opinion until then... XD

Went to a different grocery store today. First good point: it's not much farther away then my regular one. But! I decided to buy a crate (is that the right word?) of bottled water there instead of the closer store. Carrying it and the bag with groceries back was very hard on the tendons and muscles in my forearms. Now, two hours later, it's fine though. At least no pain. Maybe DOMS tomorrow... Anyway, I want to do it again and, hopefully, more often. It doesn't sit well with me (and my vain male ego) that I had so many problems.

After my back injury three years ago I slowly get better, healthier and fitter overall. But I want to push myslef a bit more -- shifting the focus a little bit more towards achieving and performing instead of just recovering.

Ophilia’s Quest:
Meditating 

Cyrus’ Quest:

Tressa’s Quest:
Budgeting

Olberic’s Quest:
Working out 

Primrose’s Quest:
Dancing research

Alfyn’s Quest:

Therion’s Quest:

H'annit’s Quest:

• Like 1

Went on my first run in about two months; first run in my new neighbourhood; first run in sub-zero temperatures since last winter. My barefoot running shoes are a little bit too thin for these temperatures, so my feet were rather cold. And I'm out of shape. So, I ran a much shorter route than I wanted to.

Ophilia’s Quest:
Meditating 

Cyrus’ Quest:

Tressa’s Quest:
Budgeting

Olberic’s Quest:
Working out 

+1 Running  ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - ||||||| - |||||||

Primrose’s Quest:
Dancing research

Alfyn’s Quest:

Therion’s Quest:

H'annit’s Quest:

Ophilia’s Quest:
Meditating 

Cyrus’ Quest:

Tressa’s Quest:
Budgeting

Olberic’s Quest:
Working out 

Primrose’s Quest:
Dancing research

Alfyn’s Quest:

Therion’s Quest:

H'annit’s Quest:

On 1/19/2019 at 1:52 PM, Akura said:

Went on my first run in about two months; first run in my new neighbourhood; first run in sub-zero temperatures since last winter. My barefoot running shoes are a little bit too thin for these temperatures, so my feet were rather cold. And I'm out of shape. So, I ran a much shorter route than I wanted to.

That sounds emphatically not fun, but nice job on getting out and doing it. 

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

That sounds emphatically not fun, but nice job on getting out and doing it. 

Oh, it was very fun! The beginning was uncomfortable because of my cold feet. But once I was actually running, it got better.

No scores today... Had chest pains throughout the day. Nothing too bad and I know that it's just a muscle issue. Still, it almost triggered a massive panic attack that kept m on edge most of the day. At least I got some work done...