• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Unrealstrength

Can’t seem to lose weight

I need some help I’m at a point of giving up my fitness dream of being in a competition... which sucks. I have been eating cleaner and cleaner to the point where I’m almost only eating protein powder and some oatmeal... so it’s easy to say commitment isn’t the issue.

Additional info: I take in about 4500 cal. give or take a few here and there.

been busy with work so can’t work out much right now restricted to 30min a week at home.

Please ask for additional information. Thanks!

1) It's not a healthy choice to just eat protein powder and oatmeal - and you may want to re-examine how you define 'clean eating'. Switch things up, get some more variety in your protein/diet, and please please please add some veggies.

2) 4,500kcal is LOTS. As in, if you're a male over 6' who weighs a lean 240lbs, and worked out at least 6hrs/week that might be appropriate. Failing that, it's probably too much. If you want to lose weight, you need to eat less. If you want to lose fat, you need to make sure you're getting enough protein, sleeping well, stay in a caloric deficit, and ideally aim for 4-6hrs of resistance training a week (less than that is ok, but you'd probably benefit from more than 30min/week).

Losing weight is a matter of your 'calories in' totalling less than your 'calories out'. To optimise your body's ability to function, it's a good idea to focus on getting enough protein (0.8-1g protein/lb of bodyweight), at least 5 servings of veg a day, staying hydrated, limiting extra sugar to a maximum of 20-30g/day, and a minimum of 8hrs sleep/night. Calorie counting is not a perfect solution (estimates are not completely accurate, and your needs can change based on daily activity) but it's not a bad place to start, if that's how you'd prefer to track your intake. 

Things that can affect calories burned: age, weight, activity level, gender, sleep, stress, hormonal balance, etc. 

Things that can affect the accuracy of measuring calories consumed: weighing food vs eyeballing portions, calorific beverages (eg. cream in coffee, sodas, etc), not writing things down/forgetting everything you ate, etc.

Also, while I commend you on having a goal, it's not realistic to compete in ANYTHING without an exercise programme in place, a meal plan, and smaller measureable goals to track your progress. I'd suggest sitting down and being honest with yourself about what you can do right now, how you can maybe change things in the future to be able to do more, and what steps you can take to get from point A to point B. You may find that in addition to tracking your calories for a few weeks, you could also benefit from doing a time audit to see where you could fit in an extra workout or two.

TL:DR - eat less, eat better variety, make a plan

• Like 3

30 min a week of work out and 4500 calories? No. Doesn't matter if you are a muscular giant man that's still way too much. 

Consider calculate your basal metabolic rate to see how many calories you should be eating a day. 

First, I would recommend to you please stop eating protein powder and oatmeal mostly diet. I would have to agree switch up your proteins/diets and embrace the rainbow when it comes to vegetables because they have a lot of the micro nutrients that you body needs to function. Please eat vegetables. 

Okay 4,500kCal is a lot for just about anyone unless you are trying to be Gregor Clegane from Game of Thrones. If that is your goal in fitness you have workout a least 1hr day to burn that many kCal (but that still is based on you base metabolic rate) but otherwise work up to it (30 min is not enough).

Otherwise I have to agree with what has said before.

On 12/30/2018 at 6:45 PM, Defining said:

1) It's not a healthy choice to just eat protein powder and oatmeal - and you may want to re-examine how you define 'clean eating'. Switch things up, get some more variety in your protein/diet, and please please please add some veggies.

2) 4,500kcal is LOTS. As in, if you're a male over 6' who weighs a lean 240lbs, and worked out at least 6hrs/week that might be appropriate. Failing that, it's probably too much. If you want to lose weight, you need to eat less. If you want to lose fat, you need to make sure you're getting enough protein, sleeping well, stay in a caloric deficit, and ideally aim for 4-6hrs of resistance training a week (less than that is ok, but you'd probably benefit from more than 30min/week).

Losing weight is a matter of your 'calories in' totalling less than your 'calories out'. To optimise your body's ability to function, it's a good idea to focus on getting enough protein (0.8-1g protein/lb of bodyweight), at least 5 servings of veg a day, staying hydrated, limiting extra sugar to a maximum of 20-30g/day, and a minimum of 8hrs sleep/night. Calorie counting is not a perfect solution (estimates are not completely accurate, and your needs can change based on daily activity) but it's not a bad place to start, if that's how you'd prefer to track your intake. 

TL:DR - eat less, eat better variety, make a plan