Harriet's Year of Transformation: Act IV

Harriet

4 hours ago, raptron said:

I'd focus more on that energy piece than that weight piece. Obviously this is just my own experience, but I'm 15-20# heavier than when I started lifting and working out but wear mostly the same clothes and feel 10000x better (and look a whole lot better IMO). 

My experience matches yours, which in my mind proves that the scale that measures only my weight is a manipulative evil liar who needs to be evicted from my house.

When I started with Stronglifts, right after joining NF a little over a year ago, I got stronger, and felt great. My jeans were suddenly too lose and I had to go out and purchase new ones, and they were two sizes smaller! I was thrilled and overjoyed with my progress. Then I stepped onto the scale, and it told me that I had gained weight. Nearly 10 lbs, to be exact. And that was the real light bulb moment that taught me just how unproductive it is to fixate on the number on the scale as a measure of progress.

• Like 2

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36

23 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

My experience matches yours, which in my mind proves that the scale that measures only my weight is a manipulative evil liar who needs to be evicted from my house.

When I started with Stronglifts, right after joining NF a little over a year ago, I got stronger, and felt great. My jeans were suddenly too lose and I had to go out and purchase new ones, and they were two sizes smaller! I was thrilled and overjoyed with my progress. Then I stepped onto the scale, and it told me that I had gained weight. Nearly 10 lbs, to be exact. And that was the real light bulb moment that taught me just how unproductive it is to fixate on the number on the scale as a measure of progress.

... I got bigger and heavier from lifting... and probably from eating whatever I wanted after a year of rice cakes and sadness. Oh well. I just prefer eating food to losing weight, I guess. Gotta keep focusing on the intangibles: strength and energy. 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Ugh. No gym this week as I'm sick. I figured it would be a good chance for my shoulder to stop hurting, too. I'm trying to think of reasons to do my writing and art today, but feel like a total slug. Not even sure why as it's not exactly three hours of calculus practice or a marathon on the elliptical machine. All I have to do is open a document and put my fingers on the keys, or get a pencil and a picture and sketch for a few minutes. Very low standards, but I'm just trying to get into the habit of doing something--no matter how small--every day. Excellence and long hours of practice can wait... right, going to go type something now.

• Sad 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

18 hours ago, Harriet said:

Very low standards, but I'm just trying to get into the habit of doing something--no matter how small--every day.

This is the exact state of my reality right now. 

Did you type something? Or draw a little sketch? Or did you go for full-on rest (also a totes legit choice if that's what you needed)? How are you feeling today?

• Like 4

“To see that your life is a story while you're in the middle of living it may be a help to living it well."

-Ursula K. Le Guin

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, Simple

22 minutes ago, Gemma said:

This is the exact state of my reality right now. 

Did you type something? Or draw a little sketch? Or did you go for full-on rest (also a totes legit choice if that's what you needed)? How are you feeling today?

I did some writing got into a bit of a funk and did nothing else for the day. I'm still sick so at least I get to believe I'll be productive again when I'm better. 

22 hours ago, Harriet said:

Very low standards, but I'm just trying to get into the habit of doing something--no matter how small--every day. Excellence and long hours of practice can wait... 

Adjusting expectations to match your current circumstances is wise and it is a kindness to yourself, something you need when you're sick. It's like being injured - heal first, hard work later. :) 

• Like 2

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36

This week I did writing 5 times, art 4 times, cleaning and meditation 4 times, and reading every day, I think. Pretty patchy, but I have a sinus infection and don't feel awesome. I still went grocery shopping (on foot) every other day and cooked all our dinners, though. I took the whole week off the gym. Usually I would be champing at the bit, wanting to get back to it, but I was so glum I didn't even want to go. This scares me a bit, as lifting is the one thing I feel secure in my motivation to do. I think uncertainty about my programme has also made me reluctant to go back. Well, I'll go back tomorrow. I still feel bad but am unlikely to be infectious, I think. Even a bad workout would be good.

Meanwhile I am reconsidering my approach of trying to install multiple habits at once. As you can see, sometimes I write and sometimes I don't. I'm considering redesigning my approach using some of the things I learned in atomic habits. Like starting with the smallest possible thing and doing it really consistently for a couple of weeks. And having actual times for things, and chaining new habits to existing habits, for example. I could start with the tiniest thing, like getting up at the same time every day and getting dressed/doing hair/makeup straight away instead of after breakfast so I'm ready to do whatever needs doing. Or having breakfast at the same time every day instead of waiting until I'm hungry. Because I use "after breakfast" as the time I start attempting to be productive, but I'm not always hungry straight away. Right now, I have a list of things to do (gym, groceries, cleaning, writing, painting, meditation) but no fixed time for them and no habit of scheduling my days. So I look at the list, feel anxious, procrastinate until I feel guilty enough or brave enough to start doing something, then start again on the next item. Not a very efficient use of my limited willpower. And certainly no good if something disrupts my equilibrium. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

This week I did writing 5 times, art 4 times, cleaning and meditation 4 times, and reading every day, I think. Pretty patchy, but I have a sinus infection and don't feel awesome. I still went grocery shopping (on foot) every other day and cooked all our dinners, though. I took the whole week off the gym. Usually I would be champing at the bit, wanting to get back to it, but I was so glum I didn't even want to go. This scares me a bit, as lifting is the one thing I feel secure in my motivation to do.

I may be pointing out the obvious here, but do you think it's possible these things may be related? :P 

Sinus infections suck. Pushing your body through a hard workout will burn energy it's using to fight the infection, and either slow down or reverse your recovery. If you're sick, it's not surprising the prospect of barbell lifting has temporarily lost its appeal. Once you feel better and have more energy, you will feel better about going to the gym as well.

Your Atomic Habits sounds very similar to The Power Of Habit, that @juliebarkley has been reading. She posted some really helpful stuff in her thread that might help you get started with forming good habits. I'm implementing some of what she shared to my side-quests, and I can already tell it makes a difference. One habit at a time, and start small...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

I may be pointing out the obvious here, but do you think it's possible these things may be related? :P 

I know, I know. I just get so many of these infections (I had fewer in the last year--is it the magic healing power of lifting?). If I used 'feeling sick' or 'feeling tired' I'd never get anything done because I'm coming from a place where I'm virtually always tired, anxious and unmotivated. Some rare spots of energy and motivation have started to shine through since I started lifting (magic healing power of lifting?) but most of the time I have to get started when I don't feel like it. Besides, I have a theory that deadlifts, placing so much pressure on the torso, squeeze out noxious humours* and speed in the recovery process. Also, every time I think a deadlift is too difficult for me but attempt it anyway, the spirits of the earth are pleased and bless me with calmness and valour.**

*I'm not serious, but a little bit of activity toward the end of an illness sometimes makes me feel better.
**I'm only half serious about this one.

Strangely enough I've read a lot of things on habits but haven't implemented them yet. Reading about habits motivates me, so I feel energised, so I say to myself "oh, I'll skip steps 1 through 5 and go straight to DO ALL THE THINGS, that seems reasonable", even as I'm reading about how important it is to do those little things like start small, get the cue and reward right, etc. I'm just like "nah, I've got this" but then I don't. I do not have it. 

I'm reading Julie's thread now, thank you. Maybe it will help to see someone else trying to get good habits going.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Harriet said:

1.  (I had fewer in the last year--is it the magic healing power of lifting?)

2.  (magic healing power of lifting?)

3.  I have a theory that deadlifts, placing so much pressure on the torso, squeeze out noxious humours* and speed in the recovery process.

4.  Also, every time I think a deadlift is too difficult for me but attempt it anyway, the spirits of the earth are pleased and bless me with calmness and valour.**

*I'm not serious, but a little bit of activity toward the end of an illness sometimes makes me feel better.
**I'm only half serious about this one.

1. Yes.

2. Yes! 

3. Absolutely yes and I don't ever wanna hear anyone say any different, alchemy is a thing just as much as any university science ever was for those who believe. And 'toward the end' is often very much a great time to get back at it.

4. Of course they are, of course they do, and you are well within your rights to be 100% serious about this one. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

“To see that your life is a story while you're in the middle of living it may be a help to living it well."

-Ursula K. Le Guin

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, Simple

Relatable - I definitely like to skip steps during motivated periods and think I've built new habits. Usually, I get a firm reawakening to let me know that I have not, in fact, changed my habits and I've been muscling through on willpower. So if we're restarting small, any thoughts on which habit you're installing first?

FWIW, I've started having a Saturday morning routine where I wake up, immediately make myself some pancakes and coffee, then set about cleaning my apartment, getting groceries and running any other errands, then get on with the relaxing and fun parts of my day. So I'm an anecdata entry of one, but it's very possible to build a productive weekend morning routine, slowly. (I'm assuming groceries and cleaning in your list are *not* daily things, but I could be assuming wrong there).

• Like 1

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Relatable - I definitely like to skip steps during motivated periods and think I've built new habits. Usually, I get a firm reawakening to let me know that I have not, in fact, changed my habits and I've been muscling through on willpower. So if we're restarting small, any thoughts on which habit you're installing first?

FWIW, I've started having a Saturday morning routine where I wake up, immediately make myself some pancakes and coffee, then set about cleaning my apartment, getting groceries and running any other errands, then get on with the relaxing and fun parts of my day. So I'm an anecdata entry of one, but it's very possible to build a productive weekend morning routine, slowly. (I'm assuming groceries and cleaning in your list are *not* daily things, but I could be assuming wrong there).

Well, I actually have to do groceries 3 or 4 times per week because we usually eat out only once per week (unless I get lunch salads from sweetgreen, nom) and I can't carry more than one backpack and one bag full of things on foot. Veg just takes up space, you know? And the milk. I drink a lot of milk, which is heavy. 

I thought it would be best to start with a morning routine because 1. I can then "tack on" other habits to this structure and 2. Getting dressed and neat in the morning makes the whole day go better than starting off sloppy. So my first habit is getting out of bed at 7:30 as soon as my alarm goes off (I usually get up at around this time, but it varies) and getting dressed in something I'd be happy to leave the house in, plus doing minimal makeup/fixing hair so I can leave the house as is (I don't like leaving the house without at least some powder on, I'm self-conscious). This instead of throwing on my hoodie over whatever I slept in and going straight to the kitchen for tea.

17 hours ago, Gemma said:

1. Yes.

2. Yes! 

3. Absolutely yes and I don't ever wanna hear anyone say any different, alchemy is a thing just as much as any university science ever was for those who believe. And 'toward the end' is often very much a great time to get back at it.

4. Of course they are, of course they do, and you are well within your rights to be 100% serious about this one. 

:D Thank you for encouraging my magical thinking. I am in fact irreligious (this is much more common where I'm from than in the USA), but I have found that sometimes a small prayer to the spirits of nature can reduce anxiety, increase valour, and enhance feelings of awe. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Well, I actually have to do groceries 3 or 4 times per week because we usually eat out only once per week (unless I get lunch salads from sweetgreen, nom) and I can't carry more than one backpack and one bag full of things on foot. Veg just takes up space, you know? And the milk. I drink a lot of milk, which is heavy. 

Oooh, totally forgot about people walking for their groceries - I've definitely gotten spoiled living in Texas there.

I thought it would be best to start with a morning routine because 1. I can then "tack on" other habits to this structure and 2. Getting dressed and neat in the morning makes the whole day go better than starting off sloppy. So my first habit is getting out of bed at 7:30 as soon as my alarm goes off (I usually get up at around this time, but it varies) and getting dressed in something I'd be happy to leave the house in, plus doing minimal makeup/fixing hair so I can leave the house as is (I don't like leaving the house without at least some powder on, I'm self-conscious). This instead of throwing on my hoodie over whatever I slept in and going straight to the kitchen for tea.

Love it - sounds like a great way to get the day starting on a positive note!

• Like 2

Ballroom dancer, data nerd, calisthenics dabbler

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Getting dressed and neat in the morning makes the whole day go better than starting off sloppy.

It really, really does. Getting dressed and primped up in the mornings is massively under-rated among the many Tools For Mental Well-being out there.

• Like 3

Went back to the gym after a week off, and it's so full the staff are implementing a one-in-one-out rule for the weight room. Oh well. I quizzed the staff member and he said it should quieten down after Valentine's day, which is apparently the 14th of Feb. A pair of young men were doing squats in front of me, the one instructing the other on what was apparently his first ever barbell squat. His form looked awful, but the first dude approved it, then they added weight. But it's none of my business. 

Still on 160lb deadlifts. Did 5/5/3. Thought I'd  try doing a couple more heavy sets at 155, but my brain just said "hell no" and my hands likewise joined in the mutiny, so I did light paused deadlifts at 95lb for 3 x 10 as usual. I think these are helping because with the 160lb I was able to grind through some hard lifts that slowed down in the middle. Usually I would just fail. 

Did some light squats - going to keep to light and medium weight squats for now until my form feels really solid. Plus last time I did higher rep squats (8-12) my quads grew noticeably. Hasn't happened since I went to low reps (5 or fewer). Maybe I should do more stuff in this range? 

Then did some assisted pull-ups. Decided to take my ego out of the equation and use as much assistance as needed to get 6 or 7 reps each set. So much assistance. 

Went to nice department store to get properly fitted for lady's garments, as I have been wearing sports bras for months after not fitting my old clothes any more. Was surprised by new wing-like muscles on back, which give serious v-shape to my torso when I flex. Was also dismayed by bright, evil fitting rooms lights which make me look squishy and fat, on top of the muscle shapes. Meh. Trying not to take it personally because 1. I look slim in the mirror at home so clearly all images of me are like shadows on a cave wall cast by flickering torchlight rather than true visions 2. no one can see my squishiness if I put clothes on and 3. even if I am squishy, there is no logical reason I can't do/have/be whatever I want anyway. Be squishy and deadlift. Be squishy and eat delicious things. Be squishy and read a nice book. Easy. 

• Like 6

Not sure whether to go back to gym this week. I am still sick, and deadlifts left me very tired. Maybe a walk would be more sensible than bench press day, especially as getting to and from the gym entails 70-80 minutes of brisk walking as well. 

All my challenge goals have collapsed as I am unmotivated and fatigued. Ugh. Can we end this inglorious challenge and start a new one? 

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

All my challenge goals have collapsed as I am unmotivated and fatigued. Ugh. Can we end this inglorious challenge and start a new one? 

You're sick. Think of it like being injured. If your left elbow was injured for some reason, what would you do?

A. Still try to meet your bench press and overhead press goals, because that's your challenge and you're not allowed to change it.

or

B. Cancel your old challenge goals and set new ones, such as "do my rehab exercises on schedule", or " research and learn about upper body exercises I can do safely, so I won't lose so much progress until I'm healed".

When you're sick, resting is smart, and good self-care. Don't let stupid people on the internet tell you otherwise! ;)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

You're sick. Think of it like being injured. If your left elbow was injured for some reason, what would you do?

A. Still try to meet your bench press and overhead press goals, because that's your challenge and you're not allowed to change it.

or

B. Cancel your old challenge goals and set new ones, such as "do my rehab exercises on schedule", or " research and learn about upper body exercises I can do safely, so I won't lose so much progress until I'm healed".

When you're sick, resting is smart, and good self-care. Don't let stupid people on the internet tell you otherwise! ;)

You have the knowing of the things. I would set new goals. But I am slightly embarrassed by biting off more than I can chew, especially after reading all these articles and books about how people fail to keep their resolutions because they try to change all the things at once. I read those and nodded smugly, then went and tried to change all the things at once. I'm still going to succeed, it's just going to take longer. My next challenge is going to have steps so small that I cannot possibly fail at them. 

For now I'm just doing a routine where I get up at the same time every day and immediately brush my teeth/put on something I would feel comfortable leaving the house in so I'm ready for whatever. It's easy. I can do it even when sick and unmotivated. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Heh... this is me....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

13 hours ago, Harriet said:

You have the knowing of the things. I would set new goals. But I am slightly embarrassed by biting off more than I can chew, especially after reading all these articles and books about how people fail to keep their resolutions because they try to change all the things at once. I read those and nodded smugly, then went and tried to change all the things at once.

Don't be embarrassed about learning what does and doesn't work for you right now. :)A lot of the time it takes actual trial and error and experience for it to set in! And adjust to your own dang life. You can read the things over and over again, but sometimes you just gotta try it out.

• Like 3

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Yay, I went to the gym. I was not especially weaker than usual, which is great. No PRs because it was overhead press day, and, well, you know. But everything felt good--no complaints from the shoulder--and I tried some bottom-up kettlebell presses with the tiniest available weight, 9 pounds. It's actually hard to control because the handle is very smooth and my hands get slightly, um, glowy toward the end of the set. I could feel it working my hands and forearms, which is great, because I am sick to death of iso holds. 

I've been taking a break from my overambitious challenge goals and have just been getting up/getting dressed every day at the same time. Not super exciting but it will form a good base for whatever I want to add next, I hope. I was supposed to sign up for powerlifting classes this challenge, but they aren't available. I thought they'd be up in February but they look like they're not happening any time soon. But, there is still good news: the squat, bench and deadlift "clinics" are happening. That's three separate classes (one hour each, I think) just for looking at form. I signed up for all three and they'll be taking place in February. Also made some progress on the body image front. I still have negative moments, but I'm talking back to them and feeling able to let it go a bit more quickly.

Also, the time being sick has been spent knitting. Knitting a fingering-weight sweater customised to my measurements (yay) in a sort of mustard yellow with a groovy pattern on the front. Well, I think it's groovy:

IMG_5606.JPG.50c2f6d07225a13d19ddc69c54009b2a.JPG

• Like 4

Also made some progress on the body image front. I still have negative moments, but I'm talking back to them and feeling able to let it go a bit more quickly.

This is huge progress. Congratulations! Changing our self-image, be it body, personality, or face, is never easy. Make sure you take some time to be proud of your progress and celebrate it, as you continue with this particular effort.  :applause:

• Like 3

On 1/24/2019 at 4:54 AM, Gemma said:

I was raised in a vegetarian home, but my body works much better with animal protein. Different people are different, my lifelong vegetarian mom is really super healthy but if I reduce my meat/eggs consumption down too far, I feel undernourished. I think this is another case of "everything works, but nothing works for everyone" - it is totally worth the amount of time you will spend fiddling about to find what is best for YOU. 

Agreed. Everything else is an experiment--which requires a certain level of rejection of trends--why shouldn't this be? Also, at the risk of stepping on toes (not my intention), I would argue that in the end, everything is an argument--from the anti-bread preachers to the vegan bandwagon. IMO, both contain a certain amount of nuanced truth, but they are both selling something and should be taken with a grain of salt. I honestly think that the neurosis that accompanies our eating choices is such a First World Problem. I mean yes, we do have to watch content/amount because we do have the privilege of not worrying about starving to death anytime soon, and certainly, there is responsibility/sustainability to consider (i.e., prodigality is never called for), but beyond that, omg. What would your great grandmother say? Mine would say that we worry about too much. 

• Like 3
On 1/31/2019 at 8:12 PM, Harriet said:

But I am slightly embarrassed by biting off more than I can chew, especially after reading all these articles and books about how people fail to keep their resolutions because they try to change all the things at once. I read those and nodded smugly, then went and tried to change all the things at once. I'm still going to succeed, it's just going to take longer.

Right there with you. You're not alone. Isn't that exciting--lol?

• Like 1