• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sylvaa

[Sylvaa] In My Head

Nice work on the start of things!! Yeah, shoe issues are big issues, I had to get some a few months ago and actually make sure to get two pairs (one for work, one for recreation) plus I got a bunion issue so that was a deciding factor. Major grats on the bathing suit, that's something to celebrate.

D&D can be an interesting mix. 6 plus yourself is a BIG party to have, my suggestion would be to make sure you have good notes and do your best to keep everyone from getting too rowdy. Be safe on your travels.

• Like 1

Be prepared to have to ask them to bring out a bunch of shoes for you to try! It's kind of tedious, but at least you have a pretty good sense of what you like in a shoe?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I need to buy new shoes

I feel your pain. :)

14 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Spoiler alert: the smaller size fits. 

Awesome! Proof of your hard work!

13 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Everyone that was there was used to kids

Yeah... I don't have many friends who aren't used to kids. We could probably get along fine with a 3 year old running around. Although I wouldn't say my house was babyproof. :D

11 hours ago, Calibre said:

D&D can be an interesting mix. 6 plus yourself is a BIG party to have, my suggestion would be to make sure you have good notes and do your best to keep everyone from getting too rowdy. Be safe on your travels.

It was actually 7 - not 6! Yeah, I know it is a big party though. We did that on purpose to make sure we could have enough interest to continue (since this was the first time). But we have two people who have the potential of working the nights we play, one of which is the Skype contact for our non-local player. So if their schedules all fall the same way, we'll only be down to 4 instead of like two. Plus, we aren't totally sure if the other couple will continue to play, which would take it down to a key group of 5. 

Not sure if you've played the 5E starter set, but it's pretty basic. The story is very linear and gives us a really good opportunity to get used to everything before we would try to delve into something more open world. The first bit is truly set up to give a little background story, then is kill everything in your path game play. But I am aware of what might happen with such a large group - thank you!

8 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Be prepared to have to ask them to bring out a bunch of shoes for you to try! It's kind of tedious, but at least you have a pretty good sense of what you like in a shoe?

11 hours ago, Calibre said:

Nice work on the start of things!! Yeah, shoe issues are big issues, I had to get some a few months ago and actually make sure to get two pairs (one for work, one for recreation) plus I got a bunion issue so that was a deciding factor.

2 hours ago, Wolfen said:

I feel your pain. :)

Yeah, I am not looking forward to it. I'm a big fan of minimalist shoes in general, so I'm hoping to find a pair like that to work for me. I'm a little concerned about the place I'm going, but it's the only place in my area that does like anything other than "traditional running shoes" and those tend to really make my legs angry. I do already own a pair of trail sneakers, so I guess worst case scenario, I don't find a pair I like and I just always run on trails. Brooks running does some online questions to see what potential shoes might work for you from them, so I've got some information to start with at least. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

it's the only place in my area that does like anything other than "traditional running shoes"

I went into a famous shoe store (that shall remain unnamed) at the mall and asked one of the clerks if they had any shoes with low or zero drop. He had no idea what I was talking about. I thanked him and walked out. There is a locally owned shoe store in the capital city of my state that I've been meaning to check out, but I rarely drive into the city, and when I do it's usually for work or because I'm running errands that don't include shoe shopping.

• Like 3

Shoes are a big component of running. Good on ya for getting some new ones. And sorry to hear if they were hard to find.

I definitely need some new ones. I’ve had a pair for well over a year that are starting to smell like old creek water.

• Like 1

Some updates:

My daughter:

Spoiler

So she's been having issues with her blood pressure. As such, she is being induced Monday evening (7 pm). I'm working from home next week to be there, but we'll have a baby within the week. 

My step-daughter. 

Spoiler

I've talked a few times about my step-daughter's issues with anxiety. This is probably going to blow up within the next few months.

Let me make a disclaimer here. I am not a professional and am not against medication for people with anxiety. But in my step-daughter's case, I don't feel that medication is the first method of treatment. Both my husband and I are beginning to wonder if she wants to have anxiety, so she is trying to be the perfect anxiety case (if that makes sense). 

We personally have never witnessed an anxiety attack (which she tries to tell us she has regularly), nor have we seen any residual issues from these attacks she says she has. She states she has them at school, but neither her teachers, the nurse, or the guidance counselor have seen any changes in behavior during the day to support this. She is still involved in school, regularly hangs out with friends, and keeps her grades up. Honestly, if I were to diagnose her, I'd be more concerned with perfectionism and ADHD than anxiety. Also note: a lot of times when she says she is having an anxiety attack, it is in reference to times that anxiety is perfectly normal. For example, she said she had one before a big test in the only class she is struggling in. 

That doesn't mean we are dismissing her feelings. We have been taking what she says seriously. We've asked her to track when she has her episodes and what is happening, we've talked to her about journaling, using meditation apps, basically a number of the suggestions she would get from a therapist while we wait for an appointment, so we have data to take in with us. Unfortunately, therapy appointments in my area are really hard to obtain unless she goes into crisis. 

Well, she's trying to take some more advanced classes next year. My husband has decided to push back and not allow her to do so, due to these anxiety issues she is telling us about. One of the common themes for reducing anxiety symptoms is reducing stress, so harder classes are not at the top of things she should be doing. My guess is that she's going to freak out and yell about how we don't take her issues seriously. Should be fun. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:
Spoiler

Honestly, if I were to diagnose her, I'd be more concerned with perfectionism and ADHD than anxiety.

Spoiler

Perfectionism is often comorbid, or correlated, with anxiety. Ditto ADHD. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Atrytone said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

And I didn't mean that as I'm discounting the anxiety. It could totally be all, none, or a combination of all three. Also, other than here, I've not expressed my feelings (so not to my husband or step-daughter) on purpose. To make sure that when she gets in to see a professional, it's her thoughts and not anyone else's.

But a better way to say it might be that the perfectionism seems to be driving the anxiety, more than the anxiety being the driving factor.

• Like 2

Spoiler

It may be that she "wants" to have diagnosable anxiety because then things "wouldn't be her fault." I put both those in quotes because I doubt she's aware of those thoughts. If I had to guess I'd say she's created a self-fulfilling prophecy subconsciously, because if it's an issue that can be medicated, medications will make everything better. I'm not suggesting she's being manipulative, just that she has a very human desire for her issues to have a very easy-to-fix problem. If I am correct about her birth mother, she has probably has seen that diagnoses lead to "victim points" or some such construct and may want to have some attention. Wrap all that up in the normal stresses of being a teenager and it's complicated.

All that to say, there exists the possibility that you may be right about her "wanting" to have Anxiety disorder, and it's also possible that she may not be aware of those feelings.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Hide contents

So she's been having issues with her blood pressure. As such, she is being induced Monday evening (7 pm). I'm working from home next week to be there, but we'll have a baby within the week. 

Spoiler

We still won't call you grandma Sylvaa :) 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I feel this is potentially what we will find out whenever we are able to get her to a therapist. It does make me feel better to know that someone else came to this same conclusion. This is such a tricky situation. Like, I definitely want to be supportive regardless of the outcome. My husband did make the comment last night that he sees more and more of her mother in her as she gets older. Mom is a huge barrier for the kids though. 

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Reveal hidden contents

I suggested O.G-Ma :D 

• Like 2

My stepsister is the same way with anxiety. But from my viewpoint it’s mainly stress from a toxic home, school, and her strained relationship and school. She claimed to have anxiety attacks all the time and one time came to my sister and I after trying to cut herself with a full pencil sharpener. She barely broke the skin and the marks were gone the next day. After counseling she was given the minimum dose for anti-anxiety although it’s more of a placebo.

Have you taken your stepdaughter in for blood work? If she really is having anxiety it could be a vitamin deficiency.

2 minutes ago, Korranation said:

Have you taken your stepdaughter in for blood work? If she really is having anxiety it could be a vitamin deficiency.

We have not! Appreciate the suggestion!

• Like 1

We have not! Appreciate the suggestion!

No problem.

I was having anxiety problems at work to the point where it was effecting my performance. I went to counseling and my therapist recommended it. I had a vitamin D deficiency. Which anyone does who doesn’t spend enough time inside or eating the right foods. And also an inflamed thyroid. It wasn’t too bad of an issue but that was tied to something more hereditary.
  • Like 1

I’m certainly no expert on mental health. The doctor told me I have high anxiety, but I don’t know how to distinguish it from having a stressful life. Your daughter may also be confusing her hard, stressful life with anxiety. It sounds like there’s a lot going on and therapy would certainly be helpful either way. Good luck with it all.

Also, I just can’t picture you as a grandma. You seem like a young’un to me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Korranation said:

How goes the challenge@Sylvaa ?

You'll never see me here on the weekends! :D

The challenge itself is going solidly. I'm hitting all my goals except using my journal daily (which I expect to struggle on now - it's an ongoing goal to make my life easier). However, I did not get my long run in this weekend due to snow and cold. I'm going to try to make it up, but it'll be difficult. I've been working towards my home maintenance goals every weekend. Slowly, but surely getting through my list (I've been crossing off as I complete). This week is going to be kind of weird with everything going on, but I should be able to figure it out.

I did slack a bit this weekend to read more for the Doodlie challenge. My husband and I agree that neither one of us has necessarily been in a good headspace recently (not anything to do with our relationship, just general stress around life), so the relaxing was probably necessary more than just nice. I've also put establishing a solid morning and evening routine on my "Do By the End of January" list. 

I've binged the Marie Kondo special on Netflix today while working (after hearing a lot of people talk about it). I am actually kind of surprised about some of the little tips she gives that I can actually use (like the folding and using boxes within drawers and such). The whole thought process around a tidy house making you feel better isn't lost on me at the moment. 

• Like 8

Update:

We have a baby! I've missed one workout this week already (which won't be made up probably), but I don't care as I was busy. :D 

We went in at 7 pm on Monday to start the process. Except, L&D was actually busy, so the process didn't start until about 10 pm. My daughter was a trooper. She was able to deal with pain until about 6 am, when they gave her some meds. At 7:30 am, I went home for a few hours because I needed to work (ugh!). I was back at the hospital by 10:30 am ish. Baby was born at 2:47 pm. 6 lbs 5 oz, so a nice size for being born at 37 weeks. 

Mom and baby are both doing well. He's having a bit of trouble feeding (because apparently 37 weeks is when babies learn to suck), but the nurses are helping to get through that. His sugar was a bit low this morning, but after eating, it was where it was supposed to be.

I didn't realize how exhausting the process would be for the grandmother! I didn't do a lot of sleeping Monday night and tried to balance work and supporting my daughter. Last night, I pretty much passed out.

• Like 12