• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Blocky

Blocky continues his Stargate shenanigans...

Recommended Posts

Good news...

 

Yesterdays squats and deadlifts haven't done any damage (I was a little worried I pushed too hard yesterday), so it looks like I'm good to start rebuilding...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

 

Hopefully firmly banished until the adductor heals.

 

Meh... Presumably, being able to deadlift a bit is equal to riding an electric unicycle...

 

I'll give it a whirl tomorrow...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sat 12 Jan - Day 5 of Broken Blocky... OR... Day 2 of Blocky's Return

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Training:

Repetition Effort Upper

 

Bench: 5's up to a relatively difficult 97.5kg. I just wasn't really into it today... kinda on autopilot.

Bench vs 12kg bands: 5 sets of 8 at 72.5kg + bands.

KB OHP: 100 total reps.

Supine row: 18, 16, 14, 14, 14.

Bench dips: 60 total reps.

TRX Rows: 12, 10, 8.

 

Lots of volume but no PRs.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life Stuff:

 

No progress unicycling.

No progress Russianing. Lesson today. I'm kinda prepared.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

450f70cb340d38f2aefa0e7e2afb1bcf-stargat

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

STR: +4 PR, +1 Rep PR = +5 STR

CON: 3 session = +1 CON

INT: 0

DEX: +1

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also... forgot to mention... Mrs Blocky has got a bee in her bonnet and apparently she wants to take the sled and prowler out to the park tonight for some cardio.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mon 14 Jan - Day 7 of Broken Blocky... OR... Day 4 of Blocky's Return

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Training:

Repetition Effort Lower

 

Block Pulls: maxed out at 160kg x 1. This is up 20kg from friday and also 80% of my 1RM from blocks. Worth noting that I stopped here not because it hurt but I just didn't want to get greedy.

SSB Box SQ: 3 x 3 at 100kg. Not impressive (60% of max) BUT I did manage a slightly lower box AND a slightly wider stance. Still some discomfort here though.

DL from floor: 3 x 5 at 100kg - just for volume.

Leg Press: worked up to 8 at 140kg - up 20kg from friday and about 70% of my 8RM. But also with a wider stance and better depth.

Back extensions: 5 x 8.

 

Also worth noting that today, I've done 2 x 12 min cardio sessions (as warmups). Cycling and C2.

 

Mrs Blocky is all good to go run some stairs tonite. Edit: we ran the stairs, much quicker than we have been.

 

Today was good. Nothing hurt and I figure that as long as I can continue to work with loads above 70% I'm not going to detrain too much. This has been a big boost for me mentally.

 

Remember: it's not worth bitching about stuff you CAN'T do, just do the things you CAN.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life Stuff:

 

No progress unicycling.

No progress Russianing.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

STR: +4 PR, +1 Rep PR = +5 STR

CON: 6 session = +2 CON

INT: 0

DEX: +1

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Blocky said:

Block Pulls: maxed out at 160kg x 1. This is up 20kg from friday and also 80% of my 1RM from blocks. Worth noting that I stopped here not because it hurt but I just didn't want to get greedy.

 

Plus 20kg!!! Woooo! You will be at max strength soon, I sense it through the ether. 

 

10 hours ago, Blocky said:

Today was good. Nothing hurt and I figure that as long as I can continue to work with loads above 70% I'm not going to detrain too much. This has been a big boost for me mentally.

 

Remember: it's not worth bitching about stuff you CAN'T do, just do the things you CAN.


Indeed. I guess knowing your maxes and being able to calculate percentages of them gives you a fair bit of precision and confidence, actually. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 12:46 PM, scalyfreak said:

Will you be the one standing, or the horizontal one?

 

 

 

I did these at work at my desk. And I realized two things. I have good muscles supporting my adductors and I could do two sets of 10. Second. I have very weak adductor muscles as I could not close my legs all the way on any rep.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Grumble said:

 

I did these at work at my desk. And I realized two things. I have good muscles supporting my adductors and I could do two sets of 10. Second. I have very weak adductor muscles as I could not close my legs all the way on any rep.

 

Yeah... they look super easy but they are quite hard to master.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Harriet said:

 

Plus 20kg!!! Woooo! You will be at max strength soon, I sense it through the ether. 

 


Indeed. I guess knowing your maxes and being able to calculate percentages of them gives you a fair bit of precision and confidence, actually. 

 

I'm hoping it's only a matter of weeks until I can do something productive again. I feel a bit like I'm treading water. I could deal with it if it was just my squatting that sucked... but the adductor effects squat AND deadlift (although it does look like deadlifting will fix itself first).

 

I've been running a conjugate template (frequent 1RMs on a bunch of various exercise variations) for many, many years now so I always know exactly where my 1RM is. Strangely enough though... I rarely use percentages for anything, I tend to use more of an RPE based approached and just make sure all my reps are at least 80% effort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tue 15 Jan - Day 8 of Broken Blocky... OR... Day 5 of Blocky's Return

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Training:

 

 

Just a little cardio today. 12 mins of fast cycling and C2 rowing.

 

However, I have recently fixd my cable stack, so I spent some time working out how to adjust things so I can start doing lat pulldowns again.

 

I also did my stretching AND some actual adductor rehab.

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life Stuff:

 

No progress unicycling.

No progress Russianing.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9hGtVR5.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

STR: +4 PR, +1 Rep PR = +5 STR

CON: 7 session = +2.3 CON

INT: 0

DEX: +1

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... apparently 2019 is going to be my year of doom...

 

It's bench day and I've woken up with some amazing upper back pain (for no apparent reason) and can't turn my head at all... my arms still work BUT if I turn the wrong way, the pain is quite terrible.

 

I'm ready for 2020...

 

 

Edit: Fuck it... Blocky got mad at the universe and set a new floor press PR of 130kg...

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wed 16 Jan - Day 9 of Broken Blocky... OR... Day 6 of Blocky's Return

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Training:

 

Back and neck is all kinds of fucked up. But there is a difference between pain and injury... this was just random pain so I pushed through it.

 

Max Effort Upper

Floor Press: 115kg x 2, 120kg x 1, 125kg x 1, 130kg x 1 (New 1RM).

Bench: doubles up to 110kg, then singles at 115, 117.5, 120, 120, 120kg.

DB Bench: 4 sets of max with the 20kg DBs.

Cable Row: went a little lighter and did 10's up to 50kg.

Lots of Pushdowns and Curls for accessories.

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life Stuff:

 

No progress unicycling.

No progress Russianing.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0c13b640d701df3a72773850999b2152.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

STR: +5 PR, +1 Rep PR = +6 STR

CON: 7 session = +2.3 CON

INT: 0

DEX: +1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Blocky said:

So... apparently 2019 is going to be my year of doom...

 

It's bench day and I've woken up with some amazing upper back pain (for no apparent reason) and can't turn my head at all... my arms still work BUT if I turn the wrong way, the pain is quite terrible.

 

I'm ready for 2020...

 

 

Edit: Fuck it... Blocky got mad at the universe and set a new floor press PR of 130kg...

 

Wait, what? So you just went to the gym and pressed without moving your head? I'm kinda worried for you. I think you should see a doctor. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Harriet said:

 

Wait, what? So you just went to the gym and pressed without moving your head? I'm kinda worried for you. I think you should see a doctor. 

 

Welcome to lifting with Blocky. Where we don't stop until we physically can't.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear 2019 isn't treating you well so far, but поздравляю for the new pr... а пожалуйста не тебя дальше ранишь, спасибо. Как произошёл класс? Ты был готов?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Harriet said:

 

Wait, what? So you just went to the gym and pressed without moving your head? I'm kinda worried for you. I think you should see a doctor. 

 

Pfft... you're not supposed to move your head when you bench...

 

Also... medicine here is about as useful as medieval plague doctors. Dr Google and I work well together...

 

14 hours ago, Grumble said:

 

Welcome to lifting with Blocky. Where we don't stop until we physically can't.

 

Correct... You'll have to pry the barbell from my cold dead hands....

 

10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Well done on that PR, and maybe see a chiropractor. 

 

Thanks...

 

Seriously though... this is just one of those "I slept on it funny and pinched a nerve" kinda things. It's already about 50% resolved... now it's just moderately painful. Should be fine in a couple of days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Sorry to hear 2019 isn't treating you well so far, but поздравляю for the new pr... а пожалуйста не тебя дальше ранишь, спасибо. Как произошёл класс? Ты был готов?

 

I'm sure 2019 will be fine... I'm just whiny. I was hoping to start a little better...

 

No promises on not hurting myself... I'm known for it. New PRs don't happen without *some* risk...

 

My russian-ing is still difficult. My tutor is happy, but I just don't feel like I'm making much progress. Everytime I learn something new, I feel like something old is getting pushed out. I learned 20 new adjectives but pretty sure I forgot 20 verbs...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thur 17 Jan - Day 10 of Broken Blocky... OR... Day 7 of Blocky's Return

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Training:

 

Neck is coming good already. Hopefully fine for tomrrow so I can DL.

 

Today was just cardio (12 mins of KB swings and 1 min bike sprints) and stretching/mobility.

 

Tonite will include some more stair running...

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life Stuff:

 

No progress unicycling.

No progress Russianing.

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Da-Vy-COXUw-Agf41v.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

STR: +5 PR, +1 Rep PR = +6 STR

CON: 8 session = +2.6 CON

INT: 0

DEX: +1

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Blocky said:

 

I'm sure 2019 will be fine... I'm just whiny. I was hoping to start a little better...

 

No promises on not hurting myself... I'm known for it. New PRs don't happen without *some* risk...

 

My russian-ing is still difficult. My tutor is happy, but I just don't feel like I'm making much progress. Everytime I learn something new, I feel like something old is getting pushed out. I learned 20 new adjectives but pretty sure I forgot 20 verbs...

 

Nothing wrong with whining now and then, especially since it seems like you don't let it stop your goals.

 

И да, я тоже чувствую то, что я часто забуду новые слова, но считаешь (consider) как долго ты изучал английский язык когда маленьком. Это небыстрый процесс. If you've got 5 minutes a day, or even less, I'll recommend Memrise again, the lesson titled "top 10,000 words." А если у тебя нет времени, то я continue говорить/ писать русский тебе здесь. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Manarelle said:

 

Nothing wrong with whining now and then, especially since it seems like you don't let it stop your goals.

 

И да, я тоже чувствую то, что я часто забуду новые слова, но считаешь (consider) как долго ты изучал английский язык когда маленьком. Это небыстрый процесс. If you've got 5 minutes a day, or even less, I'll recommend Memrise again, the lesson titled "top 10,000 words." А если у тебя нет времени, то я continue говорить/ писать русский тебе здесь. :)

 

I think part of my problem is that I still don't really understand how to construct sentences... I can parrot conversational phrases but trying to build sentences is... impossible.

 

I'm hoping that if I can just learn enough stuff to actually start reading books and such, then I'll passively learn sentence structure and phrases.

 

I've just downloaded memrise and I'll have a play with it and see how I go. I had a quick look but couldn't find the top 10.000... there's a lot of stuff in there so I'm probably just looking in the wrong place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now