• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

Thug Life: China Style [WhiteGhost]

This morning I went to the park and did a pull workout. Exercise list in the spoiler for anyone who cares

That's quite a list!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rusk said:

"Whitey's Ethnic Cuisine"

If I ever open a restaurant, I'm totally stealing this for the name :D

1 hour ago, Rusk said:

Speaking of mishmash, there is a local "Greek" restaurant owned and run by a Korean family that makes awesome pizza, kebabs and bulgogi XD  Talk about getting your money's worth

hmmm, I could really go for a good doner kebab right about now 

50 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

That's quite a list!

yep, I get bored easily doing the same exercises rep after rep, so I like to mix things up a bit :) 

• Like 2

Not a whole lot to update on today

Last night one of Ghostess's department heads came over to talk about his budget for 2019 and so while they were doing that Ghostlet and I were in his room while he did his homework.  We didn't know know how long the discussion would last, so we couldn't make any dinner plans.  Once he finally left, I just made myself a snack plate and Ghostess had a bowl of noodles

ipGJhY2.jpg

This morning was supposed to warmer than the last few weeks, but when I dropped Ghostlet off for school is was still -8 with a freezing wind blowing in from Siberia.  I noped out of going to the park and went right back to bed when I got home.  I slept for another hour or so then got up when Ghostess did and had a discussion with Chad (my inner critic) about just how badly I wanted to go to the park to work out.  In the end, the discussion was settled when the wind died down and the temperature came up to -3.  

Workout was Leg Day (yay!) and because I have decided to incorporate my skateboard slide exercise into my routine, I just rode my skateboard to the park.  The workout was great, and again the details are in the spoiler

Spoiler

single leg unweighted deadlifts x10/leg

close leg deep squats x20

single leg bench jumps x10/leg

GHRs x10

bicycle supine x50

hanging side raise x6

bench pistols x10/leg

bulgarian split squats x10/leg

squat leaps (over a railing & back) x5

glute bridges x20

flutter kicks x100

floating situps x10

shrimp squats x10/leg

archer squats x10/leg

double leg hip extensions x10

hello dollys x50

plank pistons x20

deep step-ups x10/leg

front lunges x10/leg

jump lunges x20

lumbar extensions x10

scissors x100

knee raise twists x10

single leg hip extensions x10/leg

back lunges x10/leg

jump squats x10

cobras x10

hanging leg raises x5

supine leg raises x20

single leg glute bridges x10/leg

regular squats x20

precisions (2 meters) x10

supermans x10

hanging windshield wipers x10

knee hang situps x10

single leg calf raises x10/leg

scorpion drops x10

stride precisions (3 meters) x5

tabletops x10

v-ups x10

russian twists x20

skateboard slide x5/leg

It turns out that riding the skateboard on leg day was a major mistake.  I did not get far along the way home before I had to just get off and just walk :D 

I did some hip focused stretching after I got home, and then made some beef stroganoff for lunch

3Qivsa5.jpg

• Like 9

21 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Sure wish I was coordinated enough to ride a skateboard. :tongue:

I can use it for transportation, but have not yet figured out how to do any tricks on it.  I have tried, but I am just not sure I have the coordination for it

11 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Good job not letting Chad keep you from working out.

Thanks, I have gotten much better about shutting him down recently

11 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I'm a vegetarian and that looks good to me.

It was, in fact, quite tasty :) 

Yesterday evening not much happened.  I helped Ghostlet with his homework until his bed time, and then had some Xinjiang style lamb & naan that Ghostess ordered for me.

rszBokb.jpg

This morning I got Ghostlet to school a few minutes early so I had a chance to see the flag raising ceremony (at least what I could see from our side of the wall).  We live literally across the wall from the school :) 

It is always a mixed bag of emotions whenever I see Ghostlet participating in Chinese patriotic stuff.  Growing up as a kid in the US, you hear all kinds of things about "the Communists" and accurate or not it leaves a deep imprint.  With this in mind, it was really a struggle for me the first time I saw Ghostlet in school reciting the Chinese version of the Pledge of Allegiance.  It also really gives me a lot of sympathy for immigrants to the US, and just how awful a lot of the opinions that I heard when I lived there really are.  (hate on Mexican-Americans for flying the Mexican flag on Cinco de Mayo, immigrants speaking their home language getting yelled at to learn English or get out, general "love it or leave it" comments for anyone who still shows affiliation or attachment to their home country, etc.)   Loyalty and love for your country is great (I volunteered for the military and would have been willing to give my life for my country had it been necessary after all), but I think many people don't realize that love for your country does not exclude love and appreciation for other countries and many people have dual citizenship or grew up in multiple countries so the feelings are going to be different, and that's ok.  

TL;DR: be kind to immigrants, we're good folks too.

As I was getting ready to head out for my workout, I heard the kids at the school doing some chanting so I went out onto the balcony to see

It turns out that the kids were just doing their morning PE.  I took a short video, but is basically 5 minutes of the same thing.  I probably should have just cut it off after 2 minutes, but I wanted to see if they would do anything besides just run.  Of course, this being china the kids run in formation to cadence.  I am pretty sure that the school system copied their PE programs wholesale from the Defense Ministry :D 

Did my push workout at the park today and it killed me.  This is a good change, because the last few times I have done this workout I pretty much just called it in because I didn't have the energy to really get into it.

Spoiler

Clap pushups x10

wall assisted handstand pushups x10

russian dips x6

one arm pusups x5/arm

pike pushups x10

hindu pushups x10

cat pushups x5

handstand kickups x5

tuck planche dips x5

archer pushups x10

shoulder stand inversions x5

single bar dips x10

pseudo planche pushups x10

back bridge pushups x10

korean dips x10

bar plank tricep extensions x5

floor plank tricep extensions x10

tiger pushups x5

wall assisted handstand hip taps

deep dips x5

front lean dips x5

deep pushups x10

tuck planche rotations x5

twist dips x10

I was going to do some spiderman pushups at the end, but I was really tired and because my AMRAP when fresh is more than 20, it wouldn't have counted towards the Assassin mini anyway so I skipped it.  I did do some gymnastics stuff though, getting in a few kips, shoulder inversions and back uprises.

Also, while I was there, some of the other folks finally got up the courage to ask what the heck it is I drink when I work out.  I usually drink part of my pre-workout before I head to the park, and then kind of nurse the rest of it over the course of my workout.  None of them had ever heard of pre-workout before so it took a lot of explaining for them to get the concept.  It was kind of funny because most of them also take various supplements, but for them is is stuff for strengthening bones and joints, so they had kind of assumed mine was too.  :D 

Lunch was pork & beans (but not that kind of pork & beans) over rice, and some of those leftover Chinese quesadilla-like things.

XUW7VJ6.jpg

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

It is always a mixed bag of emotions whenever I see Ghostlet participating in Chinese patriotic stuff.  Growing up as a kid in the US, you hear all kinds of things about "the Communists" and accurate or not it leaves a deep imprint.  With this in mind, it was really a struggle for me the first time I saw Ghostlet in school reciting the Chinese version of the Pledge of Allegiance.

Speaking as a citizen of a country that does not participate in this sort of thing can I just say it's all hella weird to us :)

• Like 3

Very very interesting videos!

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Hell yes, please

I do not know patriotism in my heart honestly. I "know" the concept because I have witnessed it in diverse forms (negative but also some positive forms of nationalism).

I could possibly give my life to a community, in defense of specific values, but to a specific nation state, I don't think so. From birth, I have had many many "home countries"  and the question "where are you from" has always been a little bit complicated. A few years ago, reading on the topic, I saw there was a term for that: TCK (third-culture kid - might be relevant to Ghostlet actually). How does Ghostlet feel about all this? I think as a kid I just lived through it without thinking about it,  but later on it came out as a a slight emotional knot for a while, especially when I found myself as an invisible stranger in my birth passport country (edit: I was not born in it but got the passport by filiation). I'm also wondering how that will feel when we will be moving there again.

• Like 4

On 1/8/2019 at 12:01 PM, Wolfen said:

Sure wish I was coordinated enough to ride a skateboard. :tongue:

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I have tried, but I am just not sure I have the coordination for it

You know what they say about practice? ;) 

1 hour ago, deftona said:

Speaking as a citizen of a country that does not participate in this sort of thing can I just say it's all hella weird to us :)

This. 

And this.

55 minutes ago, @mu said:

I do not know patriotism in my heart honestly....

Even with only two main nationalities (plus living in a few other countries) I have never felt like I had a home country. And the idea of giving my life to a country is bonkers to me, it's too broad of a concept for me.  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, deftona said:

Yeah, I get that, but for someone who grew up in a place where participation is almost universal, it can be a very big deal to a lot of people.  I used to think the US was kind of unique in this regard, but I have since discovered that China is probably as much or farther down the patriotism road.  It really becomes part of the national psyche, and so it can really become awkward for people who don't fit into the mold.

6 hours ago, @mu said:

I do not know patriotism in my heart honestly. I "know" the concept because I have witnessed it in diverse forms (negative but also some positive forms of nationalism).

I think it is just something you have to grow up with to really know.  I remember participating in all kinds of activities to promote patriotism starting from 1st grade, such as saying the pledge, participating in the flag ceremonies and having patriotic assemblies/shows in school.  I never really thought twice about it then, but I guess it must have been a bit weird for any immigrants

6 hours ago, @mu said:

How does Ghostlet feel about all this?

I think he was similar to you in that he just kind of lives through it because he doesn't really have a basis of comparison.  It is something that we discuss sometimes, but he seems to feel pretty equal affinity for both countries.  We asked him once which country he would support if China and the US ever faced each other in the World Cup, but he just scoffed at the idea of China even making it into the World Cup :D 

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

You know what they say about practice? ;)

I know, I know, but I think they also say something about priorities :P 

• Like 3

I was also a TCK having spent a few years in Thailand, and experienced a version of no answer to "where are you from." :) While I come from a multicultural blended family myself, I don't have kids and don't have the same level of cognitive dissonance happening that you are experiencing. But I think, given the thoughts you're putting down here about it, that you'll have a number of conversations about how to think critically about Ghostlet's national identit(ies) as he grows up. He'll probably have a lot more objective perspective on the situation than most of us get to.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

How about, "Just be kind to people" or maybe stop fearing and hating on the things that makes us all different and start celebrating and learning from each other instead? 

• Like 7

We asked him once which country he would support if China and the US ever faced each other in the World Cup, but he just scoffed at the idea of China even making it into the World Cup :D 

I scoff equally at both ever making it

*runs to hide*

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I know, I know, but I think they also say something about priorities :P 

FILTHY LIES! Do all the things now!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, deftona said:

*runs to hide*

This is not a risky accusation. Not enough Americans care about that kind of football to get upset at that particular bit of trash-talking.

• Like 1

Dang that's a big leg day. No wonder your skateboarding was a bit much at the end there. :P

That pork and beans looks better than the sweet stuff, haha. Interesting introspection on patriotism in general going on in here. I've never really subscribed to it, but find it convenient to figure out who to cheer for in international sporting events. ;) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I was also a TCK having spent a few years in Thailand, and experienced a version of no answer to "where are you from." :) While I come from a multicultural blended family myself, I don't have kids and don't have the same level of cognitive dissonance happening that you are experiencing. But I think, given the thoughts you're putting down here about it, that you'll have a number of conversations about how to think critically about Ghostlet's national identit(ies) as he grows up. He'll probably have a lot more objective perspective on the situation than most of us get to.

Totally feel you on the where are you from question.  I moved around a lot as a kid, so I don't really have a home town.  I lived in Utah longer than anywhere else in the US, but I now lived in Beijing much longer than I ever lived in Utah.  In the US, it is common to respond to where are you from with either where you were born/grew up or where you have settled since reaching adulthood (assuming a fair amount of time has passed.  I can't really use either because I don't have a home town (went to 4 different elementary schools) and if I say I'm from Beijing everyone just laughs and says, "yeah, but where are you originally from?".  

I also really like the word cognitive dissonance in this respect.  That describes my feelings about the matter very well :) 

12 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

How about, "Just be kind to people" or maybe stop fearing and hating on the things that makes us all different and start celebrating and learning from each other instead? 

Image result for i'll allow it gif

11 hours ago, deftona said:

*runs to hide*

Image result for oh no you didnt gif

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

FILTHY LIES! Do all the things now!

Alright, you have me convinced.  brb, off to do all the things... :D 

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

This is not a risky accusation. Not enough Americans care about that kind of football to get upset at that particular bit of trash-talking.

Not false

9 hours ago, raptron said:

Dang that's a big leg day. No wonder your skateboarding was a bit much at the end there. :P

That pork and beans looks better than the sweet stuff, haha. Interesting introspection on patriotism in general going on in here. I've never really subscribed to it, but find it convenient to figure out who to cheer for in international sporting events. ;) 

Those pork & beans were great, but I do miss good baked beans.    Patriotism is a weird animal, but I have been enjoying hearing about other's views on it.

2 hours ago, BardicGarlic said:

Woah. This is a good inspiration! I'm following this. 

Welcome, glad to have you along :) 

I mentioned earlier that we went out to watch Bumblebee & have dinner.  I didn't mention that while we were out we also had a snack of Takoyaki (Japanese octopus balls - SO YUMMY!).  In the evening after we got home, Ghostess and I got talking and she wondered how hard they would be to make at home.  Well, one thing led to another which led to this:

AYP5KuJ.jpg

We ended up buying everything we needed to make it at home, and all of it showed up yesterday afternoon.  So for dinner last night, we have Japanese Matsuri (festival) food for dinner: Takayaki and Yakisoba (fried noodles)

XaVUuOy.jpg

No workout this morning because today was arbitration for my labor dispute case.  Well, it was very interesting to say the least.  First off, and most important, the company didn't even show up.  The arbitration was originally scheduled to take place in December but was moved back until today, but no reason was given.  Because moving dates in very unusual, we guessed that the company had contacted the arbitor and asked to extend.  Well, we found out this morning that they moved it back because they never even responded to the summons, and they couldn't get ahold of anyone at the company, so they extended to give them more time to respond.  After being unable to contact them, they put out a public notice in two papers as required but still no response.  We don't know if they actually didn't get the summons or if they just ignored it because they expected it would just end up getting appealed and then submitted to the courts.  

Normally, if the other side does not appear it is treated as nolo contendere, so they would the issue judgement in my favor.  However, the arbitor was hesitant to make a ruling because the name on my labor contract did not match my passport.  Apparently, my passport has my last name first, and the labor contract has my first name first, and so he was not sure that he could be fully confident that the labor contract was in fact mine (even though the passport numbers matched). 

Image result for eyeroll gif

It was very weird.  Anyway, the arbitor will go back and consult with his department head and then issue a judgement.  It was truly a very bizarre experience.  

• Like 5

Wait, a Japanese octopus balls maker? :lol:

It was truly a very bizarre experience.

I don't mind bizarre as long as the outcome is good!

I can't really use either because I don't have a home town (went to 4 different elementary schools) and if I say I'm from Beijing everyone just laughs and says, "yeah, but where are you originally from?".  

For all intent and purposes, I'll usually say I'm French, it's not the whole story but it's good enough (explaining my accent / how I look). It used to bother me a lot because it was suppressing a lot of things that were very important to me. There are still important to me but I'm not as bothered by people's assumptions.

I think identity is made of two parts: what you identify as, and what people will identify you as (and there is not much you can do about that one and you have to live with it as well).

7 hours ago, @mu said:

I think identity is made of two parts: what you identify as, and what people will identify you as (and there is not much you can do about that one and you have to live with it as well).

Very good point! The first one I don't really care about, though I vaguely identify as "European" :P. The second one I pick and choose depending on circumstance haha.

Crazy stuff with the whole legal kerfuffle! 

7 hours ago, @mu said:

For all intent and purposes, I'll usually say I'm French, it's not the whole story but it's good enough (explaining my accent / how I look).

You have a French accent?? Now I have to go retcon how all your posts sound in my head. (I've already made up a "European" accent for how Hatter sounds to me.)

4 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

You have a French accent?? Now I have to go retcon how all your posts sound in my head. (I've already made up a "European" accent for how Hatter sounds to me.)

Haha I'm super curious if you'd get it right. :D All of my accents are quite strange as they've sort of amalgamated into one. Many people think it's British, except for, you know, the Brits because it's really, really not. They just get confused. :D 

• Like 2