• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

WhiteGhost

Thug Life: China Style [WhiteGhost]

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

What a fascinating backstory, thanks for sharing! And for what it's worth I could see what the drawing was supposed to be. :) 

 

So very sorry about your mum. 

 

20 minutes ago, annyshay said:

I could tell what the drawing was as well. Hugs for your family and your mom!

 

Thanks, I was pretty happy with it when I finished it because it came out better than I expected.  I'm gad it was recognizable to more than just me :)  

 

2 hours ago, zenLara said:

Sorry about your mom. Are you travelling back home to visit her?

I can't go anywhere until I get my passport back, which won't be until the 22nd at the earliest.  I already have tickets to go visit my in-laws in Hainan at the end of this month to celebrate Chinese New Year with them, so I will have to be flexible with my schedule and see how things go with her.  If necessary, I can cut my trip to Hainan short.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Ghostess had no idea what it was supposed to be so I suspect most of you probably can't guess either. 

 

:D come on, they were teasing you :P Lovely new goal item though :) 

 

I hope your mum lives her last moments in peace and pain-free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2019 at 12:09 AM, Rusk said:

My condolences about your mother.  

 

On 1/18/2019 at 12:55 AM, @mu said:

I hope your mum lives her last moments in peace and pain-free.

 

On 1/18/2019 at 3:38 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sorry about your mom. 

 

On 1/18/2019 at 6:30 AM, deftona said:

I'm really sorry about your mom, Whiteghost. 

 

On 1/18/2019 at 10:05 AM, sylph said:

Sorry about your mom :(

 

6 minutes ago, BardicGarlic said:

Sorry about your mother. 

 

Thanks everyone.  Since my last post her prognosis was downgraded from months to weeks, and then the next day from weeks to days.  While it was not completely unexpected, and this is probably for the best considering her situation, I do find myself struggling with a lot of emotions that I didn't expect, and to be honest do not really like.  I am trying to work through them in a healthy way.  A lot of what I have seen from other people here on NF (both in terms of offered advice and also seeing how others of you process your own feelings) I think I am in a much better place to do this than I would have been a few years ago.

 

On 1/18/2019 at 12:55 AM, @mu said:

:D come on, they were teasing you :P Lovely new goal item though :) 

 

On 1/18/2019 at 10:05 AM, sylph said:

I also totally knew what your drawing was.

 

12 minutes ago, BardicGarlic said:

I also could guess your drawing!

 

Thanks, I feel a lot better about it knowing that you guys could tell what it was.  I need to get back at it, because I still haven't done another yet.  

15 minutes ago, BardicGarlic said:

But yes for Coco Ichibanya

RIGHT???

 

I am a little behind on updating, but regular posting my not happen with all of what is going on right now.  I will try to at least update, even though there may not be as much pictures or discussion.

 

Saturday was my intuitive eating day for the Doodlie challenge, so I tried to be intuitive with regard to food as I went through the day.  That meant trying to eat when I was hungry, stopping when I was full, and eating what I wanted but checking in with myself if what I wanted was really what I wanted.  It was an interesting experience, but I found that I spent the whole day obsessing abut food, always checking if I was hungry or not, whenever I thought of food I ended up focusing on it more than usual to see if it was something I wanted or not.  I think I actually do better on eating when I don't go out of my way to try and be intuitive about it.

 

I made a meatloaf based on this recipe, but I took a bunch of ideas from Tank's thread to modify it.  I made myself some sage ground pork, and added that to the beef.  I replaced the bread crumbs with half oats and half Ritz crackers,  I also overlaid it with bacon before adding the glaze to create this

EVR9zSS.jpg

 

Yesterday I took Ghostess and Ghostlet to do another tour of the middle school I like, and both of them were very impressed.  After the visit, we have decided that is the school we are going to try and put him in, assuming he gets accepted.  I am not too worried about it, but I guess we will see when it actually comes time to apply.

 

I spent most of the evening yesterday on the talking to my dad, either on the phone or by text.  My scheduled workout didn't happen, but I think what I was doing was clearly a higher priority.  

 

Today we went with Ghostess's best friend & her son to a snow park that they made inside the National Stadium (aka the Bird's Nest)

GooCTmw.jpg

We haven't had a drop of precipitation so far this winter, so all of the snow  (and ice) here is man-made.  It was surprisingly uncrowded for a weekend, so we enjoyed messing around in the snow.  Ghostess made a bunch of ducks having an important meeting while Ghostlet and I had a snowball fight.  

N4PZKLB.jpg

 

We ate a fancy lunch at the stadium (it was served in courses so I couldn't get a single picture of everything.  

Spoiler

 

RgzYoMt.jpg

Fruit salad in a waffle cone

2nSx4du.jpg

Smoked duck breast

DPZnXZi.jpg

Beef (in jelly made from the rendered & clarified juices)

YDw7rg7.jpg

Seared rice patty

fb3hLUc.jpg

Lamb chops

hBFaeyS.jpg

Stinky tofu & spinach

owp5XxQ.jpg

Noodles

 

 

and then had pizza for dinner, after which we spent the rest of the evening playing Uno.  

 

Again no workout tonight, which means we are getting crushed in the Assassin mini this week.  Sorry guys :( 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

I do find myself struggling with a lot of emotions that I didn't expect, and to be honest do not really like. 

Just to re-iterate something that I'm sure you know: There is no 'wrong' way to feel in a situation like this. It's all valid and it sounds like you're planning to process them in a proactive and healthy way, so good job.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Thanks everyone.  Since my last post her prognosis was downgraded from months to weeks, and then the next day from weeks to days.  While it was not completely unexpected, and this is probably for the best considering her situation, I do find myself struggling with a lot of emotions that I didn't expect, and to be honest do not really like.

 

My experience was also this rapid change in prognosis from one day to the next.

 

Not knowing quite what your current emotional status is, I'll throw out some stuff that I hope is useful. This is a time that teaches radical acceptance of human imperfection. We just do the best we can in a scenario where there's no right answer. And there's no emotional response that's going to feel entirely comfortable.

 

Even though you're far away and this is harder, I'd still focus on what you can do that can help your mom and your family.  It can help steady what you feel to focus on what you do. It helps to think about just dealing with it as a set of things that need to be accomplished, and if you can't do anything about the first item, you move onto the next. Feelings are just along for the ride, and one of the things to be dealt with.

 

Hope something there is useful. Hang in there.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 12:56 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Hugs!

 

On 1/20/2019 at 6:09 AM, Ambera Wave said:

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother.

 

Thanks guys

 

On 1/19/2019 at 11:51 PM, sylph said:

Just to re-iterate something that I'm sure you know: There is no 'wrong' way to feel in a situation like this. It's all valid and it sounds like you're planning to process them in a proactive and healthy way, so good job.

 

On 1/20/2019 at 8:31 AM, sarakingdom said:

 

My experience was also this rapid change in prognosis from one day to the next.

 

Not knowing quite what your current emotional status is, I'll throw out some stuff that I hope is useful. This is a time that teaches radical acceptance of human imperfection. We just do the best we can in a scenario where there's no right answer. And there's no emotional response that's going to feel entirely comfortable.

 

Even though you're far away and this is harder, I'd still focus on what you can do that can help your mom and your family.  It can help steady what you feel to focus on what you do. It helps to think about just dealing with it as a set of things that need to be accomplished, and if you can't do anything about the first item, you move onto the next. Feelings are just along for the ride, and one of the things to be dealt with.

 

Hope something there is useful. Hang in there.

 

In theory I know that there are no "wrong" emotions, but some emotions just feel more wrong than others.  The one that bugs me the most is when I feel put out because the timing is not great.  I understand that the emotion is a completely reasonable thing to feel, but I still feel like a selfish jerk to be unhappy because my vacation plans may need to be modified or cancelled when it is something so important on terms of life events.  That doesn't stop me from feeling it, and then I feel bad for feeling it. 

 

I have been trying to do what I have learned here from people like @zenLara, which is identify the emotion when it comes, recognize it, and then let it go.  So far, this method seems to be helping.  

 

The last few days have been pretty meh.  Sunday morning was church, and then in the afternoon we all just bummed around the house watching movies and eating ice cream.  Lunch was leftover lasagna and dinner was hot dogs.

 

This morning I went to the park to do my workout, but after about 30 minutes I got a call from my MIL that she had a delivery and needed me to go over there to receive it.  In China, sending gifts at the holidays is a common practice for most state owned companies.  Because it looks bad for state owned companies to give cash bonuses (it looks too capitalist) they usually give foodstuffs.  When I got there, the guy was just dropping off some flour, oil, rice, dried mushrooms and some mixed seeds & nuts.  I started picking it up and stiffing it into a big bag and the guy comes over demands to know what I am doing.  Apparently he thought I was some kind of ballsy package thief :D  It turns out that my MIL told the delivery guy that her son in law was coming to get it, but forgot to mention that her son in law is a foreigner.  Luckily we were able to get that cleared up without too much trouble, and I brought all of the stuff back home.  I was going to go back out and finish my workout, but then I got a call from my church leader who needed some help at the bank.

 

One of my responsibilities at church is helping process the tithing & other donations.  Because our church is not officially recognized, all of the administrative & legal stuff that churches normally do (i.e. bank accounts, rent contracts, etc.) needs to be done through a "front" company (all of this is above board with the government, this is just the only way for us to legally operate here).  However, because this is China, they have a bunch of silly laws, one of which is that no banking services are allowed for corporate accounts on non-working days.  Perhaps they think that any legitimate transactions would always happen during regular business hours?  Also, do you remember what I said earlier about cash being almost obsolete in China.  Well, apparently the only way we can accept donations without them being recorded as taxable revenue is to have the donations come in in cash.  I don't know the rationale behind this, but that's the way it is.  So this leaves us in the situation that we need to deposit the donations during the week, and church policy is that any time cash is handled there needs to be 2 authorized people present.  So I went and helped him to make the deposit but because pretty much nobody deals in cash anymore, the bank workers are always confused about how to process it, so it always takes a few hours to make the deposits.

By the time I got back it was already mid afternoon, so I had the last of the lasagna and waited for Ghostlet to come home.  They got their test scores in the morning and then went "skiing" in the afternoon.  I put that in quotes because although they were on skis and going down a hill slight slope, there was no snow involved, and it was all done on a synthetic surface.  This surface was pretty high tech, and you could choose the level of friction you wanted on your skis, so the kids who had never done it before would go down slowly and the more experienced/braver kids could go a little faster.

wmXXXsu.jpg

 

Food has been pretty bad recently, and I think I may be compensating for my feelings by stuffing my face with junk.  The results are starting to become very visible around my waistline and my weight has gone back up to almost my heaviest and all of my old pants fit again.  The increased weight has also had a pretty big negative effect on my workout performance :( 

 

Come on, WhiteGhost, pull yourself together.  

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Food has been pretty bad recently, and I think I may be compensating for my feelings by stuffing my face with junk.  The results are starting to become very visible around my waistline and my weight has gone back up to almost my heaviest and all of my old pants fit again.  The increased weight has also had a pretty big negative effect on my workout performance :( 

You're dealing with a tough situation. As you have said in your post, your feelings are a big mess right now and you have a lot to process. Maybe give yourself a few days to not to worry about anything else. Going through those feelings is going to eat up a lot of your energy, which will make your willpower weaker, and it's ok. Bashing yourself will only make things more complicated and hurtful. Give yourself permission to go through this stage the best you can, but not demand too much of yourself.

 

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

but I still feel like a selfish jerk to be unhappy because my vacation plans may need to be modified or cancelled when it is something so important on terms of life events. 

It is ok to have those thoughts and feelings, they're not bad. It's just life going on. The same that you accept that in such a situation you still have to deal with things like the donations and the delivery guy and so many other things, that seem petty compared to the trouble of losing a loved one, because the world keeps going on despite your own family situation, the same you have to accept that your own world keeps going on, and that your brain will still be thinking on your own wellbeing and on the need of being pragmatic.

Give those thoughts and feelings the value they have, if you find they have one, and then let them go. They will come back, because brain is always trying to think of all the variables to keep your life in place and keep you safe, and that's its way to do so. Maybe you can thank your brain for being aware of how complicated the situation can be with those vacation plans, or for taking into account how one thing will affect the other one, and that's it. No hard feelings. Don't feel selfish. The fact that you have those thoughts doesn't mean that you're selfish. Your brain, that by the way must be quite stressed right now, is just trying to deal with the situation in the way brains do, generating thoughts and more thoughts, trying to find solutions, complaining because things got complicated when everything it wants is just to keep things safe and easy. Some of these thoughts will be useful, others won't, that's it. And about the feelings, well, the more you dwell on the thought, the more intense the feeling will become and the more sticky.

Of course, easier said than done, as always it's with brains. So do your best. Be kinder to yourself in these difficult days.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also thoughts and feelings don't decide who or what you are.. it's what you do that really matters. 

 

Bit random.. but I think that we're really all essentially selfish- which is fine as long as you define the self as you + the people you love "+ your environment (including all the other people). 

 

You can do this :* 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Bit random.. but I think that we're really all essentially selfish- which is fine as long as you define the self as you + the people you love "+ your environment (including all the other people).  

 

"All witches are selfish, the Queen had said. But Tiffany’s Third Thoughts said: Then turn selfishness into a weapon! Make all things yours! Make other lives and dreams and hopes yours! Protect them! Save them! Bring them into the sheepfold! Walk the gale for them! Keep away the wolf! My dreams! My brother! My family! My land! My world! How dare you try to take these things, because they are mine!"

 

--Terry Pratchett

 

(There is always an appropriate Terry Pratchett quote.)

 

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

The one that bugs me the most is when I feel put out because the timing is not great.  I understand that the emotion is a completely reasonable thing to feel, but I still feel like a selfish jerk to be unhappy because my vacation plans may need to be modified or cancelled when it is something so important on terms of life events.  That doesn't stop me from feeling it, and then I feel bad for feeling it.  

 

It's totally reasonable to feel annoyed at the inconvenience. It's totally reasonable to be upset at the thought of taking something nice away from your family. If there were no small children involved, it'd be easier, and if you were single, it'd be easier. More people makes more people affected whom you feel responsible for.

 

What that does is tell you the parameters you're dealing with, and the worst case you need to prepare for. If you're expecting to turn around and fly right back, is there leeway? Would dealing with the logistics of your immediate arrival put a strain on your family, and would a few days actually be better? Would they understand if you needed a few days for your child before you came? (Difficult vacation for you, admittedly, but frankly that's how things are now regardless of the timing.) Who would be affected by the options you have in front of you, and what's simply the expectations you have of yourself?

 

This might even be a good conversation to have with someone who's in regular touch with your dad, but who isn't your dad. A sibling, or a sympathetic in-law who is paying attention to the mood and needs of your caretaking siblings. This is a decision you can make with family, with the various commitments and conflicts laid out in front of you all. You can just go, "It'll be more difficult for me to return before this date; it can be done, but it'll be hard on my family here. I also don't want to make things harder for my family there. Can we figure out what the needs are?"

 

I absolutely agree that this is the hardest part of this sort of life event. You know what you "should" do, but not what you actually, in the real world, should do. And there's just no frame of reference for knowing what's trivial and what's not, compared to death, because everything is and nothing is. Especially when it takes that priority square and maxes out "important" beyond any reasonable comparison to the other things on your plate, but there's no way of knowing what the "urgent" square is at all. Like, how do you even make decisions? You can't. You really can't.

 

And people tend to make terrible decisions in this period, especially when it's a spouse or parent. (It was my parents who told me this repeatedly, so at least I know their expectations of me are to be methodical and sensible and make conservative choices when it comes to death.) :) The only way to deal with it is to basically let project management habits kick in, IMO. People's emotions need to be factored in as major elements of the defined problem, but need to be removed from being the thing that makes the decision, because they're not going to be at their most reliable. Have the fact-gathering discussions you can now, because it'll be harder later. It becomes another part of "you do the job that's in front of you". One foot in front of the other.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Men of our generation grew up being taught that certain emotions were not acceptable, it's a hard thing to overcome.

^This^

Sometimes not some emotions, but even all emotions.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 4:52 PM, WhiteGhost said:

 

Food has been pretty bad recently, and I think I may be compensating for my feelings by stuffing my face with junk.  The results are starting to become very visible around my waistline and my weight has gone back up to almost my heaviest and all of my old pants fit again.  The increased weight has also had a pretty big negative effect on my workout performance :( 

 

Come on, WhiteGhost, pull yourself together.  

 

 

 

I had been taught to endure emotions without expressing them. Food was my way of dealing with it. I was going to say it was unhealthy, but everybody knows that.

 

It's okay to chill a bit and take care of your heart first, as long as it's not too long. Then you can get back on the game and PUSH IT BACK TEN FOLD!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 8:21 PM, zenLara said:

your brain will still be thinking on your own wellbeing and on the need of being pragmatic.

Thanks for the kind words, they were actually quite helpful.  The line quoted above in particular.  As I was washing the dishes last night, Ghostess suggested that if I need a break, she can take care of all of the household chores for a while.  While I was really grateful for the offer, the thought came into my mind that I could really milk this one and get out of doing a whole bunch of unpleasant things.  I immediately started to feel bad for thinking of such a jerk move, but then I just recalled your comment and decided that my brain was just going through all of the options, regardless of how ridiculous, so I kind of laughed at the idea and then let it go.  :) 

 

20 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Also thoughts and feelings don't decide who or what you are.. it's what you do that really matters. 

 

Bit random.. but I think that we're really all essentially selfish- which is fine as long as you define the self as you + the people you love "+ your environment (including all the other people). 

 

You can do this :* 

I know this at an intellectual level, but emotions can be dumb.  Thanks for the reminder

 

18 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

There is always an appropriate Terry Pratchett quote.

After 40+ books one would think so :D 

 

18 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I absolutely agree that this is the hardest part of this sort of life event. You know what you "should" do, but not what you actually, in the real world, should do. And there's just no frame of reference for knowing what's trivial and what's not, compared to death, because everything is and nothing is. Especially when it takes that priority square and maxes out "important" beyond any reasonable comparison to the other things on your plate, but there's no way of knowing what the "urgent" square is at all. Like, how do you even make decisions? You can't. You really can't.

This is really the hardest part

 

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Men of our generation grew up being taught that certain emotions were not acceptable, it's a hard thing to overcome. Your emotions are valid, even if they don't make sense. 

I used to think that I just didn't really have a lot of emotions, but the longer I live the more I realize that I have them, I have just gotten very good at suppressing them.  

 

4 hours ago, zenLara said:

Sometimes not some emotions, but even all emotions

I think this is definitely true for me

 

 

Well, one of the biggest things that was giving me stress was all of the uncertainty.  As of last night, though, all of the uncertainty has been eliminated.  I will be flying out this weekend and the funeral will be next Monday, and then fly back on Tuesday.  This may be my last trip out to San Antonio (my dad will move out to Utah to be closer to most of his kids) and I don't think I am going to have time to catch up with Tank again, so I'm glad we were able to make it happen last time.

 

Ghostess has been expecting me to fall apart for the last few days, and especially once I got the final update, because that is how this kind of grief is normally processed here.  Outward shows of grief and complete loss of emotional control is a cultural norm, here so Ghostess (and her parents) are a bit confused as to why I am not experiencing it that way.  To be honest, I am a little surprised at how dispassionate I have been about this whole thing and wonder if I am suppressing it in an unhealthy way or if this is just how I process things.

 

Last night I made some pineapple fried rice

XGb9Lxx.jpg

And then spent until after 2am trying to get tickets arranged.  Chinese New Year is the biggest holiday of the year here (like Christmas in the US) and it is celebrated by going home and spending time with family.  That means that almost the entire Chinese diaspora is trying to get tickets to China right now, so while there were plenty of flights to the US, it took us forever to find return flights.

 

This morning was back to a more normal schedule.  Ghostlet has drumline practice (the school disbanded the drumline at the end of last year, but for some reason they need to perform on the 25th, so they are having practice again every day until the performance.  Depending on how the performance goes, they may bring it back for next semester.

 

While he was at practice, I went to the park and got in a workout.  I didn't have time to do everything on my list, so I just did the ones that I enjoy the most.  I also got in a bit of high bar gymnastics, and was pleased that my kips are still solid.  :) 

 

After the workout, Ghostlet and I went to pick up our passports from the Entry/Exit Administration (they were ready today) and then we went and dropped mine off at the lawyer's office so he could resubmit my labor dispute claim.  On the way home, we got caught in traffic because they shut down the road we were taking so that some visiting dignitary (apparently it was Hun Sen From Cambodia) wouldn't have to deal with any traffic.  Right as we were getting back, I got a call from the lawyer that they still needed one more signature, so I hopped onto the subway for that trip, because I was not in the mood to spend another couple of hours in traffic.

 

In the evening I made some fake paella

iequHXW.jpg

 

After dinner, I was feeling bad about how little I contributed to the Assassin mini last week, so I did a mini workout, just focusing on exercises that generate points for that (lots of pullups, deadlifts, shrimp squats, and L-sit holds).  I am thinking about getting on the treadmill and doing a run too, but that idea is competing with thinking of watching a movie and having some ice cream.  Stay tuned tomorrow to see which idea wins out :D 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 8:21 PM, zenLara said:

your brain will still be thinking on your own wellbeing and on the need of being pragmatic.

Thanks for the kind words, they were actually quite helpful.  The line quoted above in particular.  As I was washing the dishes last night, Ghostess suggested that if I need a break, she can take care of all of the household chores for a while.  While I was really grateful for the offer, the thought came into my mind that I could really milk this one and get out of doing a whole bunch of unpleasant things.  I immediately started to feel bad for thinking of such a jerk move, but then I just recalled your comment and decided that my brain was just going through all of the options, regardless of how ridiculous, so I kind of laughed at the idea and then let it go.  :) 

 

20 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Also thoughts and feelings don't decide who or what you are.. it's what you do that really matters. 

 

Bit random.. but I think that we're really all essentially selfish- which is fine as long as you define the self as you + the people you love "+ your environment (including all the other people). 

 

You can do this :* 

I know this at an intellectual level, but emotions can be dumb.  Thanks for the reminder

 

18 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

There is always an appropriate Terry Pratchett quote.

After 40+ books one would think so :D 

 

18 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I absolutely agree that this is the hardest part of this sort of life event. You know what you "should" do, but not what you actually, in the real world, should do. And there's just no frame of reference for knowing what's trivial and what's not, compared to death, because everything is and nothing is. Especially when it takes that priority square and maxes out "important" beyond any reasonable comparison to the other things on your plate, but there's no way of knowing what the "urgent" square is at all. Like, how do you even make decisions? You can't. You really can't.

This is really the hardest part

 

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Men of our generation grew up being taught that certain emotions were not acceptable, it's a hard thing to overcome. Your emotions are valid, even if they don't make sense. 

I used to think that I just didn't really have a lot of emotions, but the longer I live the more I realize that I have them, I have just gotten very good at suppressing them.  

 

4 hours ago, zenLara said:

Sometimes not some emotions, but even all emotions

I think this is definitely true for me

 

 

Well, one of the biggest things that was giving me stress was all of the uncertainty.  As of last night, though, all of the uncertainty has been eliminated.  I will be flying out this weekend and the funeral will be next Monday, and then fly back on Tuesday.  This may be my last trip out to San Antonio (my dad will move out to Utah to be closer to most of his kids) and I don't think I am going to have time to catch up with Tank again, so I'm glad we were able to make it happen last time.

 

Ghostess has been expecting me to fall apart for the last few days, and especially once I got the final update, because that is how this kind of grief is normally processed here.  Outward shows of grief and complete loss of emotional control is a cultural norm, here so Ghostess (and her parents) are a bit confused as to why I am not experiencing it that way.  To be honest, I am a little surprised at how dispassionate I have been about this whole thing and wonder if I am suppressing it in an unhealthy way or if this is just how I process things.

 

Last night I made some pineapple fried rice

XGb9Lxx.jpg

And then spent until after 2am trying to get tickets arranged.  Chinese New Year is the biggest holiday of the year here (like Christmas in the US) and it is celebrated by going home and spending time with family.  That means that almost the entire Chinese diaspora is trying to get tickets to China right now, so while there were plenty of flights to the US, it took us forever to find return flights.

 

This morning was back to a more normal schedule.  Ghostlet has drumline practice (the school disbanded the drumline at the end of last year, but for some reason they need to perform on the 25th, so they are having practice again every day until the performance.  Depending on how the performance goes, they may bring it back for next semester.

 

While he was at practice, I went to the park and got in a workout.  I didn't have time to do everything on my list, so I just did the ones that I enjoy the most.  I also got in a bit of high bar gymnastics, and was pleased that my kips are still solid.  :) 

 

After the workout, Ghostlet and I went to pick up our passports from the Entry/Exit Administration (they were ready today) and then we went and dropped mine off at the lawyer's office so he could resubmit my labor dispute claim.  On the way home, we got caught in traffic because they shut down the road we were taking so that some visiting dignitary (apparently it was Hun Sen From Cambodia) wouldn't have to deal with any traffic.  Right as we were getting back, I got a call from the lawyer that they still needed one more signature, so I hopped onto the subway for that trip, because I was not in the mood to spend another couple of hours in traffic.

 

In the evening I made some fake paella

iequHXW.jpg

 

After dinner, I was feeling bad about how little I contributed to the Assassin mini last week, so I did a mini workout, just focusing on exercises that generate points for that (lots of pullups, deadlifts, shrimp squats, and L-sit holds).  I am thinking about getting on the treadmill and doing a run too, but that idea is competing with thinking of watching a movie and having some ice cream.  Stay tuned tomorrow to see which idea wins out :D 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now