• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Angor

What is your MT workout routine?

Hey, everyone! I'm curious what people are doing for their workouts. I only go to Muay Thai twice a week. What can I do to improve my stamina and strength?

One routine I saw is run 2+ miles, jump rope 3 rounds, shadow box 2 rounds, then heavy bag 3 rounds.

Should I try to fit in things like pushups, squats, situps, etc? I do my workouts at home, where I have a heavy bag, but I don't have a gym membership where I can lift weights or anything.

Thanks, ninjas!

I always used to go 3 minutes on, 30 seconds off. Just the way I was trained. 10 minutes Jump Rope, 1 round footwork, 1 round hands, 3 rounds shadowboxing, 4 rounds Heavy Bag, 10 minutes Jump Rope, 2 rounds shadowboxing, then whatever drill for that day was (e.g. kick/1-2 ladders), and stretch.

When I teach though, I go from simple to complex. So if we have combos, we build them up gradually and throw them in order, then we mix them up later. Then the drills. Still done in rounds, though we do 2 minutes on, 1 minute off.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 5:50 PM, Angor said:

Thank you! This is helpful. So, are the 3 minutes on, 30 seconds off, supposed to fit within the 10 minutes jump rope, etc?

Yes, pretty much, I just skip for 10 minutes straight, then take 30 and go straight to footwork/shadowboxing.

Not sure if the OP is still viewing this topic, but... 

I contacted a former Australian judoka who is pursuing a career in mixed martial arts, does competitive strongman and is a personal trainer. He offered me a pretty cool routine for high intensity, short burst cardio. 

Select three exercises of your choice. They can be body weight exercises, or weight lifting. It's up to you, but try to focus on exercise that engage multiple muscles at once and if working with weights, try to use a load that is achievable. For the sake of simplicity and example, let's use push ups, sit ups and squats. 

You're going to do 10 push ups, then immediately after you will do 10 sit ups, then straight after that, you'll do 10 squats. Once you've done all three, you will then move on to 9 reps of each exercise, then 8 reps, then 7, 6 etc. all the way down to 1. Once you have hit that last 1, you have done one "set". The idea is to do 3 sets in total, with minimal to no rest.

It is quite an exhausting exercise in total but the intensity can vary depending on what exercises you select and what load of weight you're using, if you are using weights.