• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jonesy

It's probably psychological - Jonesy 2019.1

I have Marie Kondo's book now and started reading it. She makes a good case for just focusing on the project for the next 6 months and decluttering the house. I've always tried to do it the Fly lady way- a little at a time. But then it seems like not only did the area I de-clutter get messy again, but there are so many areas I never get to. So, my brain says I should give it a go and just commit this year to decluttering. But, gulp. that seems like such a daunting task! I mean, we don't have a particularly messy home, it's actually fairly tidy, but our closet's, drawers,and garage, are all full with just stuff we've accumulated over the years. We've lived in this house for almost twenty years, so yeah, lots of stuff:smile-new:

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:15 AM, Jonesy said:

I spent my hard earned money on an item that I never used. That pisses me off. Now I want to get rid of it 5 years later

One thing that she mentioned on the show that I thought was helpful was when she was going through clothes, she said you could thank the blouse for teaching you that you don't like to wear blouses like that. I thought that was a good thought to sort of help with this hurdle. It's so hard to get rid of the stuff we never used. I feel like it's admitting to failure o my part, because I obviously never should have bought it. But maybe, just think of it as a good learning experience, just like some things we have to try to know we don't like them, sometimes we have to buy things to know they don't work for us.

• Like 3

Still no soda but I am having food dreams. I thought I did have some and kind of freaked out. 

I gave 2 bags of donations to my sister and still have to drop off some at a donation center. 

• Like 2

Had a migraine yesterday but still went to the gym. I didn't work out and hit up the hydromassage but still, building the habit. Plus it gave me the chance to drop off the rest of my clothing donations. I have 2 more bags to throw away, my letters jacket that I still have no idea what to do with and the t-shirts that I want to turn into blankets. 

Also paid off all my bills that are due between now and February 5th.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Had a migraine yesterday but still went to the gym. I didn't work out and hit up the hydromassage but still, building the habit. Plus it gave me the chance to drop off the rest of my clothing donations. I have 2 more bags to throw away, my letters jacket that I still have no idea what to do with and the t-shirts that I want to turn into blankets. 

Also paid off all my bills that are due between now and February 5th.

Big successes here! 

• Like 1

you're doing so awesome! I'm a huge fan of your budgeting effort. it feels AMAZING to know where all your money is going!!!

On 1/19/2019 at 3:31 PM, Elastigirl said:

One thing that she mentioned on the show that I thought was helpful was when she was going through clothes, she said you could thank the blouse for teaching you that you don't like to wear blouses like that. I thought that was a good thought to sort of help with this hurdle. It's so hard to get rid of the stuff we never used. I feel like it's admitting to failure o my part, because I obviously never should have bought it. But maybe, just think of it as a good learning experience, just like some things we have to try to know we don't like them, sometimes we have to buy things to know they don't work for us.

when I did all my clothes I thought a lot about what I was keeping out of obligation. like, obligation to past me, future me, the money that I already spent on this thing, the person who gave it to me, to the idea of what I think I should dress like at work, etc. it helped a LOT and I ended up letting a bunch of stuff go. that said, I need to do it again, for sure.

• Like 4

Question for you on going through your clothes:

DId  you take out all your clothes at once like she suggested, or did you just take them out by category? I'm trying to decide which way to go. I feel like if I take them all out, that really puts pressure on me to decide that day, and I"m not sure if I could do it all in a day.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 12:24 PM, Elastigirl said:

I have Marie Kondo's book now and started reading it. She makes a good case for just focusing on the project for the next 6 months and decluttering the house. I've always tried to do it the Fly lady way- a little at a time. But then it seems like not only did the area I de-clutter get messy again, but there are so many areas I never get to. So, my brain says I should give it a go and just commit this year to decluttering. But, gulp. that seems like such a daunting task! I mean, we don't have a particularly messy home, it's actually fairly tidy, but our closet's, drawers,and garage, are all full with just stuff we've accumulated over the years. We've lived in this house for almost twenty years, so yeah, lots of stuff:smile-new:

I felt the same way when I started and I also used the same method before. I always failed to declutter/organize. I think if you look at it from the whole house perspective, it's a super daunting task. If you look at it by her breakdown, it's not as bad. Still a huge undertaking but feels more manageable. Which is one reason why I've broken down the 5 categories down into months and plan on getting it all done by December 31, 2019. I'm giving myself a lot of time. lol.

On 1/19/2019 at 12:31 PM, Elastigirl said:

I agree and I kind of love that about this method. So far I have not had a huge issue saying thank you and donating/disposing of clothes. I've also realized, for me, that it also helps to put those "keep for sentimental reasons" items and come back to them in a few days. It's given me some time to really think about it. Like I have 3 piles of shirts that have all been meaningful to me but the more they sit waiting to be made into a blanket, the more I question why I even want to do that. My hardest one though is still my letterman's jacket. I'm thinking of bringing it to craft night and asking the ladies there to show me how to remove the patches. Still waiting to hear back from my old Highschool. 

On 1/22/2019 at 10:47 AM, raptron said:

Big successes here! 

On 1/22/2019 at 10:59 AM, RogueLibrarian said:

For real! This sounds like significant headway!

Thank you guys!

On 1/23/2019 at 12:07 PM, karinajean said:

you're doing so awesome! I'm a huge fan of your budgeting effort. it feels AMAZING to know where all your money is going!!!

when I did all my clothes I thought a lot about what I was keeping out of obligation. like, obligation to past me, future me, the money that I already spent on this thing, the person who gave it to me, to the idea of what I think I should dress like at work, etc. it helped a LOT and I ended up letting a bunch of stuff go. that said, I need to do it again, for sure.

Thank you, my debt is slowly going down. I feel like a financial warrior! Slaying and slashing it down. Lol. 

Guilt. Mine feels like guilt. 

On 1/23/2019 at 1:02 PM, Elastigirl said:

Question for you on going through your clothes:

DId  you take out all your clothes at once like she suggested, or did you just take them out by category? I'm trying to decide which way to go. I feel like if I take them all out, that really puts pressure on me to decide that day, and I"m not sure if I could do it all in a day.

I did both! I took 2-3 days to gather all my clothes into one room. During the process, I put them into piles based on categories. So a pile of tops, pants, undergarments, etc. Then I did one pile at a time. I put all the clothes I was keeping in a pile, did laundry and put them away. I had a pile of donations going because some I was giving to my sister and then I put the discarded ones right into a trash bag. As soon as a trash bag was filled it got put by the front door. I think she just doesn't want you to put it off. I know if the show she usually has them put it on the bed because then they have to go through it in order to go to sleep. Kind of pushes procrastinators to actually do it. 

14 hours ago, Asa Pond said:

Doing anything on a migraine day is amazing. Go you!

Thanks. I think it helped to get out of the house as well...even though it was painful!

This week has felt crazy! I missed my workout on Wednesday because I needed to get some work stuff done. Craft night was Wednesday so I couldn't push my workout later in the day. First time I've felt sad about missing going to the gym...weird. Left my gym stuff at work so I would be prepared to go today. Pushed it a little on the treadmill today and ended up cutting my workout short. I think I spent more time in the hydro massage bed then I did working out. OK I didn't, I worked out 5 mins more than the massage. As I was laying in the massage bed and my lower back was tensing up I thought to myself, this is why I told myself I would take it easy. Oh and still rocking the no soda. 

20190124_222151.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jonesy said:

First time I've felt sad about missing going to the gym...weird. 

:D:D:D

9 hours ago, Jonesy said:

Left my gym stuff at work so I would be prepared to go today. Pushed it a little on the treadmill today and ended up cutting my workout short. I think I spent more time in the hydro massage bed then I did working out. OK I didn't, I worked out 5 mins more than the massage. As I was laying in the massage bed and my lower back was tensing up I thought to myself, this is why I told myself I would take it easy. Oh and still rocking the no soda. 

Heck yes on that no soda life. And for getting into the gym, even if you went a little too hard. :)

• Like 1

Congrats on slaying the soda dragon!

Thanks for all  the iput about how you've done the Kondomari method. It is really helpful to me

• Like 1

As I've been wearing my clothes this month, I've noticed that a few I initially claimed as sparking joy, don't. I've thrown away some that I discovered had holes in them and donated a few! I am having an issue with where to put my clothes right now. I was folding them but I think I'm going to have to hang most of them. I don't have a dresser and I'm not sure what I want to do. I really want to remodel my walk-in closet and put in shallow floor to shelves or something but that's not financially doable right now. 

I have 1 more day of no soda! I've been thinking about it, I might just continue and see how long I can go for. 

Went grocery shopping tonight and I have $35 left until Tuesday. All January bills have been paid and all the bills I have due on the 1st as well.

No workouts yet this week but I need to get in a HIIT workout this weekend. 

• Like 2

I use an Ikea KALLAX as my dresser and really like it (and it's pretty inexpensive). Half is folded and half is in bin drawers. 

13 hours ago, Jonesy said:

As I've been wearing my clothes this month, I've noticed that a few I initially claimed as sparking joy, don't. I've thrown away some that I discovered had holes in them and donated a few!

Nice! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, raptron said:

I use an Ikea KALLAX as my dresser and really like it (and it's pretty inexpensive). Half is folded and half is in bin drawers. 

I have one of those but it's filled with books. It's the one I pushed up the stairs by myself! I have 2 bookcase that are filled with misc. stuff that I can move the books to but that's later down the road. I have some options but not my ideal, just temporary solutions. 

super cheap option here - do you have room in your walk-in closet to just, like, stick a bookshelf or dresser in there? I'm thinking like a very cheap one from a garage sale, thrift store, or something that's been in a relatives house for ages and they would love to gift you. we don't have a linen closet but we do have a weird deadend hallway so we put a 3 drawer dresser with a bookshelf on top of it for all of our sheets. it's not gorgeous but it is getting the job done for now! and it was 100% free.

• Like 1

While I like that idea, I'm trying to change my way of thinking. I don't want to buy or bring anything into the house, even inexpensive, unless I love it. I just know that each time I look at the bookcase, I'd want to change it. Which would not bring joy. 

I have too much stuff in my house that I buy as a temporary thing and then I never upgrade it. So if I can stop doing that from now on, maybe I won't have so much to KonMari later. I'm hoping it also helps with my shopping problem. Lol

For January, I'd just like to say that I'm extremely grateful that I have an amazing library. I've finished 13 books as of today, thanks in large part to audiobooks! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonesy said:

I have too much stuff in my house that I buy as a temporary thing and then I never upgrade it. So if I can stop doing that from now on, maybe I won't have so much to KonMari late

Nodding head. Yep me too. I also do the same with clothes. My problem is I sorta hate shopping, and making decisions, so I just buy something that's "good enough" and then I don't really like it. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jonesy said:

For January, I'd just like to say that I'm extremely grateful that I have an amazing library. I've finished 13 books as of today, thanks in large part to audiobooks! 

That's freaking awesome!! I love my audiobooks and they are very helpful to get through some books. Especially if they have a really great narrator like Jim Dale with the Harry Potter books or James Marsters for the Dresden Files.

CHALLENGE REVIEW

HOME: MK Cloth: The following are all done and complete. I have 3 more subcategories to do for February. 

1. Tops
  2. Bottoms
  3. Undergarments
  4. Jackets

HEALTH: No Soda: This one was pretty easy. So easy I'm going to see how much longer I can do it. 

1. Soda 42/31

HEALTH: 4 HIIT Workouts: I did not get this done. :( 

FINANCIAL: Budget: Followed my budget and paid bills ahead of time.