[iatetheyeti] Battlemage Vol. I: Beginnings

It’s the start of a brand new year, and a chance to respawn and start driving things in the direction that I want them to go in. Therefore, new battle log! Except we’re going a day early, because 2019 starts on a Tuesday and I do not like that.

[spoilered is a long, non-essential reading background]

Spoiler

The background...

2018 was not an easy year. It started on a wobbly note, and when race season opened I let two less than perfect races beat me down. Depression and anxiety ruled my life. I dropped off the radar, got myself into more trouble than I’d care to admit, lost all of the fitness gains I’d made prior, and almost lost myself in the process.

I’m on my feet now. It hurts. I have blood and sweat clouding my vision. I have ringing in my ears that does nothing to drown out the whispers of vicious doubt that come from my own mind. If there’s a path then I can’t see it. If there’s a tried and tested way out then I don’t know it.

And yet I must take a step forward. And then another. And then another.

It’s been a long journey to figure out how to balance the very ranger mindset of ‘do all the things’, especially in combination with my own goals. Honestly, it’s been a long journey to figure out just what those goals are. I’ve dabbled in many, many areas of fitness and sport over my lifetime and most them I’ve enjoyed.

And most of them I’ve left behind no matter the progress I made.

Every childhood pursuit that relied on strength and skill over speed I was damned good at. My squat, chubby little self had a pretty impressive power to strength ratio. Most of those were left behind due to peer pressure.

I stopped kickboxing a couple of grades below attaining a black belt. I left that behind because of the ‘friends’ that also went were poison and I was trying to escape them in every way I could.

Moving to the highlands revived things a little. After all, with all of these mountains around, what else can one do but climb them? I hiked for the sheer joy of it. And then I stopped because my mood dipped, it told me I didn’t belong out in the hills, that I wasn’t good enough.

I’m qualified as a kayaking coach and basic star assessor. All I need is to renew my insurance and develop a customer base (and maybe grow some people skills). But I left that behind too. Monetary reasons played their part, but ultimately that feeling of inadequacy persisted. I’m qualified as a mountain bike trail leader, and as orienteering instructor, and if I’d been able to afford the assessment costs then I’d be qualified as an indoor climbing instructor too. And yet all of these things have been left behind for the same reasons.

Crossfit came into my life for a brief few months, and despite being constantly the slowest and almost always the weakest, I enjoyed it. And despite having a few reasons for leaving, ultimately it was my social anxiety that drove the final nail into that coffin.

The conclusion I can make, then, is that I am my own worst enemy. I enjoy being good at things. Who doesn’t? But I make comparisons to other people in entirely the wrong way, and that’s something I’m trying very hard to change.

I have strong friends. I have fast friends. I have friends who aim high and hit their targets every time.

And I will never be like them.

But that’s ok. How could I be like them? We’re all entirely different people. I can only be like me, and what and who I am is something I can change and shape to my liking. And that brings me to the thing I haven’t abandoned yet.

OCR.

It’s funny because while I thoroughly enjoy racing, I’m terrible at it. My first race, a Spartan Sprint, saw me take over two hours and fifteen minutes to complete five miles, not to mention burpees in the triple digits. My second race instilled within me a deep fear of being immersed in water. The 2018 race season continued this trend. It took me over four hours to complete my first race of the year, a Spartan Super, and while my hips and knees suffered, my confidence was destroyed. The next race didn’t go much better. I aimed for the full twenty miles of Rat Race Dirty Weekend and came up slow, painfully slow. There was no confidence left for that race to destroy, instead my self-esteem took a large hit. Things brightened for one tiny moment with my third race of the year, my second crack at a Spartan Sprint which saw me finish in two hours and two minutes. Still a poor time, but better than my last Sprint. That bright moment didn’t last and my race season was brought to a premature end with the Spartan Beast. Over six hours, countless burpees, and one trip to hospital.

And somehow in spite of all of that I’m ready to try again, I’m ready to build a better self, ready to be good at this.

The battlemage

Whenever it’s come to building a character for a game I always come up with something resembling a battlemage, and if that simply isn’t an option then I create multiple characters until I’ve got enough to cover all the bases. At the heart of it all I’m a simple woman, I enjoy getting close enough to my enemies to hack them to pieces with brute force. Give me a sword (or better yet, give me two) or give me an axe and I will play the tank and destroy those who stand against me.

...but having the power to wield fire and command lightning? To bring a storm down upon an army or use the might of the earth itself to quite literally crush people to dust? Oh, I like that as well. I like that very much.

So why not both? The physical strength of the barbarian or the soldier combined with the skill and range of the mage or shaman. The moment I figured out I could do that in games, and that I could even custom build a near perfect battlemage class (thank you, Elder Scrolls games!), I dove in and never once looked back.

And then I realised I could apply it to real life as well.

Unfortunately the chances of me learning to command fire and lightning are fairly low.

But I live in hope.

The 2019 battle plan…

For this year the bulk of my training will live in here rather than being first and foremost in my challenges. The challenges themselves will likely focus more on things like nutrition, mental health, and general lifestyle things (or if I decide to do something new and crazy). The exception will be any year-long challenges I decide to implement. As of right now, there are three:

Routine Builder: Routine has proven a useful tool in helping me manage both my mental health and my life in general, and it’s something I have little of, even on workdays.

• Step One: Laptop off and phone away an hour before bed. Read or knit for an hour.

Why? Because I get very easily distracted. It’s easy to say I’ll go to bed at, say, 10pm, and still be browsing mindlessly come 10:30pm. Removing the internet from the equation means less distraction. Add that to the fact that I find both reading and knitting to be highly relaxing things, and that both can be done in bed so there are minimal obstacles to me going to sleep, and I believe this will begin to help me fix my sleep issues. Once I’ve been doing this for four weeks without missing a day then I can add another piece to the routine.

Burpees, burpees, burpees: I have a Spartan heavy year ahead so my burpees need to be on point. I’m starting at thirty burpees per day. After two weeks with no missed days I’ll move up to thirty five burpees per day and so on, and so on. They can be done all at once or in sets or one by one, just so long as thirty are done.

Project 52: An easy way to get myself reading on a regular basis again, I think. One year, fifty two books. Any books. Fiction or not, old favourites or brand new.

And, of course, alongside these year-long projects there are more skill specific goals and routes of progression that I’m trying very hard to tailor to my specific needs, whether they are pre-existing weaknesses that need correcting or the next steps that I have delayed in taking. My training will be structured around these paths

Alchemy is perhaps the single most important skill to master. Without learning the art of fueling oneself, progress will be hampered and limited. Throughout the course of this year I aim to learn the art of alchemy with the following goals:

• Stop over- and under-eating. Figure out a calorie guideline to ensure that I am properly fuelled for active days and not gorging myself needlessly on rest days

• Macros. Just the basics, protein, carbs, and fats. Once the calorie guidelines have been found, implemented, and adjusted to then it will be time to begin tailoring my diet to further benefit me.

This will all change over time, but unlike with the other goals, I can’t see or calculate what might be next for me, nutrition-wise. Not without having a solid base to stand on.

Elemental mastery is crucial, particularly if one aspires to be an elemental battlemage. First and foremost, the Path of Fire. Mastery of one’s own body is undoubtedly an important part of fitness, and there are many feats of bodyweight strength that I either want to attain, or have achieved before and wish to reach again. This year I mean to achieve the following:

• One full pull-up

• Five pistol squats on each leg

These are subject to change, of course. Should I achieve either goal before the end of the year, I will add another.

The Path of Earth is that of pure strength, the ability to move mountains and stand against storms. Or, in more mundane terms, to lift heavy things. This year I mean to achieve the following:

• 100kg deadlift. My current PR is 80kg (achieved 2016).

• Bodyweight back squat. According to my SL5x5 app, my current PR is 47.5kg for three reps (achieved 2016).

• 60kg bench press. Doubling my current 30kg for five reps. I don’t think I’ve ever tried for a bench PR before.

• 40kg OHP. I vaguely recall doing 32.5kg for one rep at some point in the past couple of years.

If by some chance I achieve and surpass any of these goals before the year is out, I will adjust accordingly.

The Path of Water is the means to move from point A to point B with the swiftness of a flowing river using self-powered methods. Running, cycling, even swimming if I figure out how to not be scared of it (which is a shame, because I used to love swimming). This year I mean to achieve:

• A half hour 5km. I think my current PR there is somewhere around 40-45 minutes.

• An hour 10km time. I don’t have a PR for this, and I don’t know if my aim is reasonable, but I’m aiming for it anyway.

• Cycling goals are under construction pending the following discoveries: average and best times cycling to/from work, 10km speed run time, 25km time, 50km time, and just what grade of downhill trail am I currently capable of riding? Last time I actually did anything, I was solidly in the red and edging into the black (hardest grade, highly technical). I need a trail centre trip to figure the last out, unfortunately.

• Right now it’s a goal to add swimming goals. It requires a gym membership, which requires the funds for it. Watch this space.

Bonus Path of Water goal:

• Full Mucker Domination: I can’t explain how badly my RRDW experience messed with me last year, or how soul crushing it was that the words ‘half mucker’ escaped my lips at the end when I was asked which, full muker or half, I’d just completed. This year is my last chance to do it and do it well as I will not be making a 2020 effort, though I can’t speak for my plans in the years after.

The Path of Air promotes control of self, mastery of movement. Unlike the aggressive, strength-based Path of Fire, Air focuses places more emphasis on skill application and injury prevention. All things yoga, mobility, and flexibility, basically. This year I will achieve:

• A thirty second pendant pose hold. I’ve been after this for years.

• A thirty second L-sit hold.

• Downward dog with my heels on the ground. Currently impossible and painful to try.

As with all other paths, goals are subject to change should anything be achieved or deemed too ambitious.

The Path of Steel focuses on weapons skills. Or, in mundane terms, obstacles. The meat and bones of OCRs, after all, and something full of new challenges from race to race. It is from this path that the creative and wildcard elements of my training will be drawn. This year I will achieve:

• A complete monkey bar/rig crossing. Current PR is two rings as of September 2018…

• Solo eight foot wall scaling. I can and have scaled six foot walls solo, although currently that is far from a consistent performance.

Goals subject to change. While I can practice components of these things outside of a race environment, the only opportunity I have to do these things in full is at a race. Which is why rope climbing, while still a goal of mine, is not included in this year’s list. I don’t have any way to begin training for that.

My week will be run with M/W/F being strength based (weights or bodyweight), T/T being running based, and S/S being active rest. This structure is helping me formulate routine (and helping me keep track of just what day it actually is) though remains flexible as life is an unpredictable beast. All going well, I should update every evening, giving me an unofficial year long accountability goal as well.

• Like 6

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

31st Dec 2018

Routine Builder: Phase One - Laptop/phone off an hour before bed (marked for the night before)

[] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

Burpees, Burpees, Burpees: 30

[X] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

Project 52: 1/52 (one bar per 25 pages, current book page total 1300)

Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson

[||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||]

Sending the year off in style by finally, finally making a return to lifting. Sticking with SL5x5 for now, partly because it's a family thing and partly because I am starting from scratch, like so:

Squat - 5x5 at 10kg (which is just the empty bar)

Bench - 5x5 at 10kg

Row - 5x5 at 10kg

Incline push-ups 3x10

Edge-of-bed dips 3x10

Plus warm up and cool down

Workout went far slower than it usually would, but as it's been a while I wanted to do as much form checking as I could which led to a stop-start kind of thing. Nothing suffered too badly, I don't think. I'm looking forward to ramping the weight up, starting at basically zero is frustrating, but at this point kind of necessary. I don't want to risk re-injury, I don't want to overload myself too much, and I don't want to give myself an entirely new injury. So slow it is, and slow it will be for at least the next four weeks. 

• Like 3

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

On 12/31/2018 at 8:37 AM, iatetheyeti said:
  • Solo eight foot wall scaling. I can and have scaled six foot walls solo, although currently that is far from a consistent performance.

That's on my todo list for 2019 too. I'm going to gently point out that it was only because I watched you scale that 6 foot wall before me that I even gave it a go. I've still not gotten a solo 8 foot wall though. 

• An hour 10km time. I don’t have a PR for this, and I don’t know if my aim is reasonable, but I’m aiming for it anyway.

It's possible and reasonable, honestly. It requires you to run and committing to a hard run for an hour is never an easy thing to do but you could pull this off by the end of 2019. 

Full Mucker Domination

When we run this race together I don't want to hear a word out of you about abandoning you. The only thing I want from RRDW is to help you beat this race. However it ends I'm with you every step of the way! 

16 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

What's your assessment of the series? I only ever read Gardens of the Moon (and probably 20 years ago) but I remember really enjoying it and have been thinking about reading them (I'm looking for stuff to read :) )  

• Like 2

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

4 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

That's on my todo list for 2019 too. I'm going to gently point out that it was only because I watched you scale that 6 foot wall before me that I even gave it a go. I've still not gotten a solo 8 foot wall though. 

And I am in turn going to pass the blame (or inspiration, I guess?) to that one woman in front of us who scaled that wall like it was nothing :D She's entirely to blame (or thank?) for my own attempt at it.

It's possible and reasonable, honestly. It requires you to run and committing to a hard run for an hour is never an easy thing to do but you could pull this off by the end of 2019. 

It's actually a relief to hear you say that, all things considered. I thought maybe I might have been overambitious. Honestly, I still kind of think that, but I'm hoping as more time passes and I actually start making progress I'll start feeling more comfortable with it.

When we run this race together I don't want to hear a word out of you about abandoning you. The only thing I want from RRDW is to help you beat this race. However it ends I'm with you every step of the way! 

...no promises, but I am trying to not let it mess with my head so much. That's the major thing for me. I know if I keep my running consistent then I stand a chance of maybe possibly almost matching you guys for endurance (if not for speed, I think I'll need a little lot longer for that!), but if I let my insecurities in then I'll definitely mess myself up one way or another.

What's your assessment of the series? I only ever read Gardens of the Moon (and probably 20 years ago) but I remember really enjoying it and have been thinking about reading them (I'm looking for stuff to read :) )  

I love it. I've read through the series multiple times to date and will happily do so many more times. I do find the first couple of books kind of slow going, but it gets properly into the meat of things during book three and doesn't let up for the rest of the series. The series is definitely in my top three!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

It's actually a relief to hear you say that, all things considered. I thought maybe I might have been overambitious. Honestly, I still kind of think that, but I'm hoping as more time passes and I actually start making progress I'll start feeling more comfortable with it.

I'm not going to tell you it's an easy thing to do but there actually isn't a huge amount from going from a sub 30 minute 5k and turning that into a 60 minute 10k. It's much more of a psychological block to get over along with learning to manage your pace. I'm happy to give you some tips for getting there but honestly the number 1 thing you need to be doing is staying consistent. If you do one other thing add 1-2 minute speed intervals to one of your runs. That'll really help with your running form and leg turnover. 

29 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

...no promises, but I am trying to not let it mess with my head so much. That's the major thing for me. I know if I keep my running consistent then I stand a chance of maybe possibly almost matching you guys for endurance (if not for speed, I think I'll need a little lot longer for that!), but if I let my insecurities in then I'll definitely mess myself up one way or another.

I've only been running for 28 months. It wouldn't take as long as you'd think :) nonetheless don't worry about keeping up with me on anything. This feels like I'm blowing my horn but I don't expect you or any of the others to be capable of keeping up with me with speed or endurance by the time RRDW rolls round (assuming I don't take myself out with injury).

The thing is RRDW was a big deal for me last year. I needed to finish that race. This year it's an opportunity to hang out with you and the others. So don't let this mess you up. I'm going to hang with you until the end. That end could be at 20 miles, it might be half way round and we could be dragged off the course by the sweepers but I'm staying with you and I make that statement understanding exactly what that means. Seeing you finish that race for the first time would mean a lot more to me than my finishing it a second time.

52 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

I love it. I've read through the series multiple times to date and will happily do so many more times. I do find the first couple of books kind of slow going, but it gets properly into the meat of things during book three and doesn't let up for the rest of the series. The series is definitely in my top three!

Great then :) I still have my copy of Gardens of the Moon so that makes a really good thing to put on the top of my reading list. 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

I'm not going to tell you it's an easy thing to do but there actually isn't a huge amount from going from a sub 30 minute 5k and turning that into a 60 minute 10k. It's much more of a psychological block to get over along with learning to manage your pace. I'm happy to give you some tips for getting there but honestly the number 1 thing you need to be doing is staying consistent. If you do one other thing add 1-2 minute speed intervals to one of your runs. That'll really help with your running form and leg turnover. 

Running in general is not an easy thing for me to do, so that I had sussed out already! Consistency is likely going to be difficult too, especially at this time of year, but I know I'm doing this for some very good reasons, so get it done I shall. I will keep the intervals thing in mind as well, though for the next few weeks at least I think I need to just get myself into the habit of actually getting out there and doing it.

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

The thing is RRDW was a big deal for me last year. I needed to finish that race. This year it's an opportunity to hang out with you and the others. So don't let this mess you up. I'm going to hang with you until the end. That end could be at 20 miles, it might be half way round and we could be dragged off the course by the sweepers but I'm staying with you and I make that statement understanding exactly what that means. Seeing you finish that race for the first time would mean a lot more to me than my finishing it a second time.

I get it, believe me I absolutely get it. That's part of the reason why that decision came to me as quickly as it did. If I can't help someone achieve their goal, then I'm for sure going to step aside and stop blocking the way, so to speak.

And I appreciate you saying that, seriously. I know I'm going to need the support, we both know that, and we both know I get weird about that during races, and the fact that you're willing to stick with me regardless means a lot.

• Like 1

1st January

Routine Builder: Phase One - Laptop/phone off an hour before bed (marked for the night before)

[X] [X] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

2/52 (350 pages)

Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston

[||||||||||||||]

This year is already sending me mixed signals. But, on the plus side, I think I've used up my entire 2019 allotment of bad luck already and I'm set to enjoy a problem free year.

...I can dream.

Today was supposed to be a running day, but the run did not happen. That's not a good start, I know. Sadly work was something of an all-day affair. That's what happens when you 'volunteer' to run two departments on a holiday with no public transport and your co-worker forgets to pick you up on time and all the equipment in one department is broken and your manager ends up having to take you home at the end of the day because the soles fell off of your shoes.

On the plus side my nutrition wasn't bad. I mostly made good choices with the free buffet at work, deviating only for a slice of chocolate cake. I even managed to cook a decent meal from finds in the reduction cabinet (sage and onion stuffed chicken breasts wrapped in bacon with roasted root veggies, was so good). That's the second night in a row I've cooked something after a long work shift, and it's a streak I'd like to keep going.

Tonight I sleep, and tomorrow I do a little better.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

Running in general is not an easy thing for me to do, so that I had sussed out already! Consistency is likely going to be difficult too, especially at this time of year, but I know I'm doing this for some very good reasons, so get it done I shall. I will keep the intervals thing in mind as well, though for the next few weeks at least I think I need to just get myself into the habit of actually getting out there and doing it.

Consistency is really what you should be focusing on 100% I know work doesn't make that easy for you. Especially though January. The simple thing is that the more miles you can get under your feet before May the easier that race will be. Actually rather than intervals fartlek would be a better approach for the time being. A couple of times during a run pick something at some arbitrary distance away (like a lampost) and run faster to it. 

Honestly I'd never run more than 5k in one go before 2017. I never expected to enjoy it at all :)

I really hope that tomorrow is better than today. 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2nd January

[X] [X] [X] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

2/52 (350 pages)

[||||||||||||||]

Slept for about a year last night and had major issues getting out of bed thanks to a fairly drastic temperature drop. It's about -3 right now and set to get a little colder overnight, which is going to make running conditions tomorrow interesting. I may have to break out the steel grips again.

Workout today:

Squat 5x5 at 12.5kg

OHP 5x5 at 10kg

Deadlift 3x5 at 40kg

***SL5x5 says to do DL 1x5, but I enjoy them so my default is 3x5 for the time being***

Warm up and cool down done, no other work done due to waking up so late. Burpees were even done at work. Nothing is niggling or protesting the return to lifting so far, which is good.

I will be the first to say that my nutrition was awful today. I scavenged and grazed and didn't have a real meal until getting home this evening (steak (reduced! to! 17p!) and green veg with a slice of apple pie for dessert). The only reason I came close to my calorie goal was because I wasn't grazing on good and healthy things, it was junk left over from the staff buffet. It's my aim to not be doing that at all. I know I threw myself off by not getting out of bed in time to prepare some food to take in with me, and I know being tired and stressed and worn down helped me make bad food choices whilst there.

Preparation is the answer. That, and getting out of bed on time.

Doing some prep work tonight to ensure I don't have any such issues getting up at 6am for my run. Nothing I can do about the cold, but the knowledge that as soon as I leave my front door I only have 3-5km between me and a hot shower (and coffee) will help drive me.

• Like 2

Hi. *waves*

I don't know that I've followed you before, but I stumbled across your Battle Log and now I'm following you. I am 100% on the same page with the whole Spartan thing. My first one sucked the life out of me (but I loved it), then I had a year of fairly bad racing (no hospital trip, but a DNF), now I'm trying to get back in the groove. Also, the 5K / 10K thing.

So yay! Go you! *cheerleads rather awkwardly from the sidelines*

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

***SL5x5 says to do DL 1x5, but I enjoy them so my default is 3x5 for the time being***

I love deadlifts. Deadlifts make me feel strong because they are by far the way that I can move the most weight. I really see you breaking 100kg this year. 

With the current volume and intensity I wouldn't worry about going a little off plan and doing 3x5 for them and honestly the volume in SL doesn't get high enough where it's going to be a big problem before the program runs its course and you stop being able to increase the weight. 

34 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

Doing some prep work tonight to ensure I don't have any such issues getting up at 6am for my run. Nothing I can do about the cold, but the knowledge that as soon as I leave my front door I only have 3-5km between me and a hot shower (and coffee) will help drive me.

I'll be in the middle of my run by the time you start yours and I'll probably still be going when you finish :( Admittedly it's hovering above freezing down here so I don't have ice to contend with. I do have a run before coffee policy and that helps.

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

14 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Hi. *waves*

I don't know that I've followed you before, but I stumbled across your Battle Log and now I'm following you. I am 100% on the same page with the whole Spartan thing. My first one sucked the life out of me (but I loved it), then I had a year of fairly bad racing (no hospital trip, but a DNF), now I'm trying to get back in the groove. Also, the 5K / 10K thing.

So yay! Go you! *cheerleads rather awkwardly from the sidelines*

It's good to have you here regardless :D 

Honestly, I think if I don't get serious about some structure and discipline in my training then I'll start having more hospital trips as well as DNFs, and that's really something I want to avoid at all costs. Besides, who doesn't want to actually be good at something they love doing?

13 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I love deadlifts. Deadlifts make me feel strong because they are by far the way that I can move the most weight. I really see you breaking 100kg this year. 

With the current volume and intensity I wouldn't worry about going a little off plan and doing 3x5 for them and honestly the volume in SL doesn't get high enough where it's going to be a big problem before the program runs its course and you stop being able to increase the weight. 

You know, that's the one lift where I'm almost certain I'll meet my goal. That said, all going well I'll actually stick with SL for long enough to actually 'finish' it, so to speak. I've gotten some good numbers with it before, but never pushed as far as I could with it.

13 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I'll be in the middle of my run by the time you start yours and I'll probably still be going when you finish :( Admittedly it's hovering above freezing down here so I don't have ice to contend with. I do have a run before coffee policy and that helps.

Heh, considering my run lasted a grand total of 22.35 minutes, I have no doubt you were still going! I didn't intend it to be so short (I intended about double of what I did), but I had a minor emergency and had to rush home. So, on balance, I got in some sprint work! No actual ice, fortunately, just a hard frost that didn't reduce traction too much.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

You know, that's the one lift where I'm almost certain I'll meet my goal. That said, all going well I'll actually stick with SL for long enough to actually 'finish' it, so to speak. I've gotten some good numbers with it before, but never pushed as far as I could with it.

The only thing you need to be aware of is to actually finish it when it ends. There is little point in grinding out a linear progression program when the gains stop coming. But that is several months away, I'm sure, so just stick with it for now :) like with the whole running thing that's the most important thing. 

You are built for deadlifting... Emm, what I mean by that is the way your legs and arms are proportioned to your torso (which is similar to me) gives you a mechanical advantage. Unlike say, @Rhovaniel, who is far too long ;) so I could see you getting some seriously respectable numbers if you stick to it. Use what you have to your advantage because you could become a really powerful lifter. 

16 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

Heh, considering my run lasted a grand total of 22.35 minutes, I have no doubt you were still going! I didn't intend it to be so short (I intended about double of what I did), but I had a minor emergency and had to rush home. So, on balance, I got in some sprint work! No actual ice, fortunately, just a hard frost that didn't reduce traction too much.

Frost is fine, ice is horrible and scary. The important thing is that you got out and got 22 minutes in . That is a win. And yeah, I started my run at 5:33 and ended it at 6:48, I actually find that fun? :lol: I know I keep talking about the sprint work but it really is only because I want to see you really kick ass at RRDW. Any bit of speed work you can get will help improve your running form and efficiency. The more efficient runner you are in May the more you'll be able to hold a faster pace for and more easily. It's a long day so even a tiny increase in efficiency will make a big difference. 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

You are built for deadlifting... Emm, what I mean by that is the way your legs and arms are proportioned to your torso (which is similar to me) gives you a mechanical advantage. Unlike say, @Rhovaniel, who is far too long ;) so I could see you getting some seriously respectable numbers if you stick to it. Use what you have to your advantage because you could become a really powerful lifter. 

This may be the best compliment I've ever had :lol:

I think this is why I keep coming back to lifting. I got the hang of it pretty quickly, I set some fairly impressive PRs for a beginner back when I was learning, and I can actually see that I have potential (which may be a miracle in itself). You're right, I just have to stick with it.

26 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Frost is fine, ice is horrible and scary. The important thing is that you got out and got 22 minutes in . That is a win. And yeah, I started my run at 5:33 and ended it at 6:48, I actually find that fun? :lol: I know I keep talking about the sprint work but it really is only because I want to see you really kick ass at RRDW. Any bit of speed work you can get will help improve your running form and efficiency. The more efficient runner you are in May the more you'll be able to hold a faster pace for and more easily. It's a long day so even a tiny increase in efficiency will make a big difference. 

If we'd had a slightly wetter day yesterday we'd have had some serious ice, going by how deadly the remaining pockets of moisture were. Luckily that wasn't the case! Honestly, the sprinting today was a very, very bad idea that I only did because I absolutely had to. I've been ill for a few weeks now, my respiratory system can just about handle a slow run (there was minimal coughing and no wheezing during the first part of it), but the sprint about killed me. I think I'd like to work on that some more when I can actually breathe properly! That and hills, which I think means I do need to find or construct an actual running program at some point soon.

• Like 1

3rd January

[X] [X] [X] [X] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

Project 52: 1/52 read

1/52 (one bar per 25 pages, current book page total 1300)

2/52 (350 pages)

[||||||||||||||]

I've read this a few times before, but a couple of days ago got what I could only describe as a book craving and picked it up again. While I enjoy the backstory he includes in here, the most fascinating part is the main narrative thread, and, funnily enough, despite what happens in it this book really makes me want to go and find some proper canyons to explore.

It's my first day off work after a hellish streak of back to back shifts over the festive season, and believe me I had big plans for today. I went to bed on time, got some half decent sleep, and got up with my alarm to go for an early morning run. Admittedly I was worried about doing this as I've had a pretty awful cough/cold thing going on for a lot longer than I'd like. It comes and goes in waves. Some days, like today, are mild and consist mainly of me being a walking snot factory. Other days I feel like I'm coughing up my lungs. It was not the cough that put an end to my run today, it was surprise shark week. Complete surprise. None of my usual 'before' symptoms showed up before the main event itself, it just sort of happened and resulted in me turning tail and getting back home as fast as I could.

And nothing else got done.

(I mean, I put some washing on and managed to trap a piece of clothing in the door of the machine and accidentally flooded my kitchen, but apart from that nothing got done)

The sprint home made me feel awful. I actually went back to bed as soon as possible afterwards. Then when I got up a second time I was plagued with cramps. They've stayed with me all day, so I've basically been curled up on the sofa alternating between reading and playing Minecraft and having a full on pity party for myself.

I'm going to try some yoga before bed in an effort to take the edge off of the cramps so I can at least get some sleep before getting back to business as usual tomorrow.

• Like 3

4th January

Today's been an interesting one. So far 2019 has had it out for me, but I'm choosing to believe that I'm just getting rid of all of my bad luck in one go.

[X] [X] [X] [X] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

[X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

3/52 (325 pages)

A Dip in the Ocean by Sarah Outen

[|||||||||||||]

4/52 (425 pages)

The Music Instinct by Philip Ball

[|||||||||||||||||]

I'm not sure if it's shark week or something else, but today was a bad, bad gut day. Woke up in the early hours. Vomited. Went back to bed. Woke up late morning. Vomited. Went back to bed. Woke up early afternoon. Dry heaved. Went back to bed.

So while it was a good day for reading, it was a bad day for everything else. No burpees, no workout, barely any eating (crackers, mostly, washed down with water. It was the only thing that didn't make me feel worse).

...and yet for the past couple of hours I've felt just fine, if a little tired. I even managed to do another load of washing and this time didn't flood the kitchen. I have no clue what's going on, but if it's behind me then wonderful. I'm going back to bed sooner rather than later, and tomorrow will be a fresh new day.

• Like 1

5th January

So it's Saturday today and not Thursday. My mistake. ...at least I got the date right? I'm not particularly with it today. We've moved on from puking (though last night was full of some of the most horrific stomach cramps I've had in years) to raging headache. Believe it or not I think I prefer the headache. At least I'm used to coping with them...

3/52 (325 pages)

[|||||||||||||]

4/52 (425 pages)

[|||||||||||||||||]

Not much of a day for things. Got up late, did a couple of rounds of sun salutations that went to show I can no longer yoga and must get back on track with that ASAP, and decided against the burpees. Yoga with a pounding headache is enough of an experience for me. Also, work with a headache... Tomorrow is looking to be a repeat of today, though I'm desperately hoping it's without the headache (and with the burpees).

• Like 1

6th January

Today was an effort, admittedly.

On 1/5/2019 at 7:59 PM, iatetheyeti said:

[X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

3/52 (325 pages)

[|||||||||||||]

4/52 (425 pages)

[|||||||||||||||||]

With the exception of switching the laptop off an hour before going to bed last night, nothing has changed. It's that good old Sunday feeling combined with that good old caffeine deprivation feeling. Something weird happened to my almond milk, it did not taste good, and I did not have enough time for a re-do. But, on the plus side, I did do some yoga. More sun salutations. 

Tomorrow is the official start of the next challenge, so maybe something more will happen then!

• Like 1

7th January

Bit of a mad rush today, which is what happens when you're a clever cookie and don't remember to set your alarm...

3/52 (325 pages)

[|||||||||||||]

4/52 (425 pages)

[|||||||||||||||||]

Fortunately work was not as bad as expected in terms of labour, so I did my workout as soon as I got back in.

Squat 5x5 at 15kg

Bench 5x5 at 12.5kg

Row 5x5 at 12.5kg

Warm up/cool down also done

I'm aiming to get my burpees done before bed. I would have done them with my workout, but truth be told I was pushing as fast as I could because I was extremely hungry. I ran out of the flat without grabbing anything to eat and didn't do much more than graze at work. Definitely something I'm looking to avoid in the future.

• Like 2

8th January

Apparently I left my brain somewhere that is else, and I have yet to recover it.

3/52 (325 pages)

[|||||||||||||]

4/52 (425 pages)

[|||||||||||||||||]

I have had a scattered, disconnected kind of day. Even my run this morning was off. I got up. I ran. Buuuut I realised about halfway in that while I'd put in my earphones I didn't actually have any music playing, which is partly why it felt so off. I hate running without music. Hate it. And when I got back I realised that yes, I'd opened the ZR app, but hadn't done anything else with it. So I have no idea how far I went. I think roughly 5km. Ish. Not particularly fast, but consistent. No coughing, thankfully.

No burpees last night because I forgot. Burpees today though, done in sets of five with long, long breaks in between.

• Like 1

9th January

A distinctly unhappy gut has put a damper on my original food plans for this week while I revert to plain and safe. Not ideal, and I don't know what the cause is, but so far it isn't too serious, just a little uncomfortable.

[X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [] [] [] [] [] [] []

Project 52: 2/52 read

3/52 (325 pages)

[|||||||||||||]

4/52 (425 pages)

[|||||||||||||||||]

The workout today was a slight departure from SL and prompted by a quiet morning shift at work. I was exhausted going in and knew I'd be even worse coming out the other end, and that usually results in no workout done. So rather than miss it, I made use of my environment.

Goblet squats 5x5 at 12.5kg

OHP 5x5 at 12.5kg

Farmer carries 3x3 (30 seconds each) with 12.5kg in each hand

Incline push ups 3x10

My warm up was the one busy part of work, and my cool down was carrying on with my shift. This is the first time I've done a workout at the same time as cooking up a batch of pancakes, and I have to say it went surprisingly well.

• Like 1

10th January

Pre-holiday brain melt is in full flow and I am struggling with just about everything. It's times like this that solid habits would really come through for me, but here IO am trying to build said habits instead. Not quite as effective, but I'm gonna go ahead and give myself a point for effort.

[X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [] [] [] [] [] []

5/52 (200 pages)

Don’t Tell Mum I work on the Rigs (She Thinks I’m a Piano Player in a Whorehouse) by Paul Carter

[||||||||]

4/52 (425 pages)

[|||||||||||||||||]

Today was supposed to be a running day, but that has not happened. First, I doubt I will ever run before an opening shift. Second, I know I will never run before an opening shift when I've been switched onto them from a long string of closing shifts. Sleep doesn't happens when that change is made (although my FitBit said I got a whole hour last night, so go me) and therefore I will not get up any earlier than I have to. Now this should mean that instead I plan another running time slot, likely in the evening. I did not do this and I have no excuse. I just didn't do it. I could say that I'm tired and frustrated and my brain doesn't work and it makes it all worse, but I never once forgot I was supposed to be running today. I just didn't.

And that's not good enough.

So that will change.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Second, I know I will never run before an opening shift when I've been switched onto them from a long string of closing shifts

Oh crap that's rough.

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

On 1/11/2019 at 9:14 AM, jonfirestar said:

Oh crap that's rough.

It's been happening a little less lately, but when it does it packs a punch. In theory there should be a transition period, opening onto mid, mid onto closing, and vice versa, but the CO doesn't really care about that kind of thing.

• Sad 1

11th January (late)

Yesterday was a definite downhill slide in terms of mood and physical well-being, and it led to me failing on my goal of being accountable daily no matter what.

[X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [X] [] [] [] [] []

5/52 (200 pages)

Don’t Tell Mum I work on the Rigs (She Thinks I’m a Piano Player in a Whorehouse) by Paul Carter

[||||||||]

4/52 (425 pages)

[|||||||||||||||||]

It also led to a few decisions on physical activity. My gastronomic troubles reached an unpleasant conclusion after work, and it was that which made me decide I was not going to do any lifting or any burpees. For one I wouldn't have been able to stay out of the bathroom for long enough to do any real workout. For another the whole thing left me a weak, shaky mess so I figured the most sensible decision would be to re-hydrate and then go to bed.

I don't think this 'illness' is anything to do with diet or actual illness, every sign points to stress and it matches up with past stress-belly episodes neatly enough. While I still do need to continue figuring out the best kind of diet that'll work for me, it has highlighted that I need to find a way to deal with my stress in a way that doesn't include attempting to brush it off with an 'it's fine/doesn't really bother me/shit happens'. Contrary to what I'd like to believe, this does not get rid of the problem. While I have a few ideas as to just what I can do (top of the list is quit my job, but while that would relieve a massive portion of stress, it would introduce a lot of new stresses), I need to sit down and have a proper planning session, something which I intend to do today.

• Like 1