• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NicTheRugger

The Dawn of New Goals: Nic Respawns

I'm alive! I promise! Quick check-in:

Fitness goals:

• Still making my way on pull-ups. I haven't been greasing the groove as much lately, because my workouts at the gym have been pushing me to my limits (I'm sore all the time)
  • I'm increasing my running and was able to do a 4 mile run on Sunday! Today was sprint interval training day, and I may do (dreadmill) hill training on Thursday
  • Crunches are progressing pretty nicely! I've been doing them as close to every day as I can manage. Last week, I participated in a plank hold contest and came in 3rd with a respectable 4+ minute plank!

Other goals:

• Duolingo is still happening daily, and I'm learning a lot! I still have a long way to go though
  • Got my French article in last week, and will find a fun article to read this week
    • The French book challenge is hard for me to keep up with, and this is something that I'll have to scale back for the next challenge. (Maybe a chapter a week?)
  • Stoicism stuff: I've noticed that I'm finding stoic principles in subtle ways around me, and it makes it easier for me to continually practice. Haven't been meditating much lately, but I have been more present in the moment and actually mindful of my situation and surroundings.

That's it for now! I'll try to do better about checking in.

• Like 3

The challenge is over-- hooray! Here's a wrap-up post on how I did, things I can do better for next time, and then I'll be starting 0 week in the Ranger's forum! Hope to see some of you there!

Physical goals:

1) Get to at least 2 consecutive pull-ups. --  Status: Success! I can actually do 3 unsupported chin-ups (which the Marines count as pull-ups, which is excellent for me), which is 1 more than I set out to do.

2) Rehab the knee and get better at running again

Status: For the most part I was able to do 2 running work outs a week. One week I couldn't because of a combo of snow/being sick, but it is what it is. I didn't take the stairs as much as I could have, but otherwise have done a decent job at rehabing my knee. 

3) continue building core strength

Status: Success! I practiced crunches at a minimum 4 days a week (or some other ab exercise) I haven't done a 2 minute session in a while, but there was always some sort of activity. 

Intellectual goals:

1) Practice my language skills and continue to improve

Polish skills status: Success! Other than for 2 or 3 days out of the entire month, I practiced at least one unit of Duolingo Polish a day, every day! 

French skills status: Partial success: up until this past week, I was able to read an article every week. The book challenge was less successful. I got maybe a quarter of the way through the book I was reading. Idea for next time: pick either articles or a book. Doing both was a bit too much for me. Additionally, I should look into alternate ways of brushing up on my French than just reading. I should look into either watching a movie once in a while or listening to a podcast or something, so that I can work on my listening comprehension too!

2) Build a healthy mindset by studying and implementing Stoic practices

Gratitude journal: Success! I didn't write in it every day, but I found something to be grateful for just about every day

Podcasts: Success! I'm not fully caught up on one of them yet, but I feel more confident in my skills of being mindful and present, and staying rational and reasonable about things.

3) Clean up my diet... Again

Status: for the most part, a success! There were days when I would overindulge with sweets, but those days were few and far between, and usually had some external factor causing my need to snack/seek out comfort food (illness, travel plans wreaking havoc on my diet, the super bowl, etc). My water tracking was very helpful in keeping me motivated. I did learn I don't drink enough water on the weekends, though! Something to be conscious of, moving forward.

Well, that's it for this challenge! I'll be moving on to the ranger's guild for the next challenge.  As I continue to buckle down my training and get ready for my PFT and (hopefully) OCS, my workouts will get more ranger-like, more cross-fit like, more... well, more military. I think the ranger mindset will definitely be a help there! 

Also, I'm thinking about changing my username, since I'm not much of a rugby player anymore! Still going to go by "Nic," as that's my name, but would love some ideas for a fun new user name!

Thank you everyone for all of your support over the challenge! There were days when I definitely wanted to give up, but thinking about you all helped get me back into the saddle.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

Success! I can actually do 3 unsupported chin-ups (which the Marines count as pull-ups, which is excellent for me), which is 1 more than I set out to do.

Nice work!  Very good job getting your pullups up to snuff :)  

14 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

Also, I'm thinking about changing my username, since I'm not much of a rugby player anymore! Still going to go by "Nic," as that's my name, but would love some ideas for a fun new user name!

Semper Nic?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Nice work!  Very good job getting your pullups up to snuff :)  

Semper Nic?

Thanks! And hah! I love it, but I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch. I may wait on that nickname until I either get in or even wait and see if I pass OCS first. I do like this one a lot though

• Like 2