• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jonfirestar

JonFirestar: First Steps

First Steps 2019

I've got some pretty big ideas for 2019. Huge scary ideas that when stated aloud don't even seem possible. So I wrote them all down and put them here:

So those are my big picture goals. The challenges are going to focus on the little picture goals. The smaller SMARTer goals. The things that are going to go into making the big goals seem more plausible, if not possible. The big change I want to begin 2019 off with is the introduction of more lifestyle based goals. There are some aspects of my lifestyle that I want to change for the better and these challenges are a great way of going about that. 

Lose Weight

Losing weight and fuelling adequately are opposed ideals. It is impossible to do both things simultaneously. My highest priority right now is to drop weight and my diet reflects that ideal. At the same time I want to ensure that I am consuming enough calories to perform my workouts. 

Eat 2300-2400 calories per day. 

Carbs <150g per day. I really hate eating like this. With a passion. I feel awful when I do but it does work to shift some body weight and I'm just running with it for as long as I can. 

Run all the Miles

4-5 runs per week - follow the running plan. Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday

Run 150 miles in 5 weeks. If I follow the plan the target will be reached. 

Lift all the Things

Heavy Lifting, Monday, Wednesday and Friday

OCR Practice

Climbing 1 or more times per week. 

OCR Gym at least once during the Challenge. 

Sleep Restriction Therapy

I've been suffering quite badly with insomnia recently. The only non-medical intervention that has ever given me real results is sleep restriction therapy. The theory behind this is very simple. The only thing you use the bed for is sleeping. Therefore if I'm not asleep I shouldn't be in bed. That includes any time that I am lying awake in bed trying to sleep. I've spent a lot of time fixing my sleep hygiene and trying other methods of easing the problem such as severely cutting back my caffine to a fraction of it's previous amount. Honestly nothing has made the blindest bit of difference so this is a bit more of a heavy handed approach. 

Don't use the bed for anything other than sleeping

Read

I'd like to read 12 books in 2019. That really isn't very many but I make very little time to read these days so the very small and achievable goal of one book a month will hopefully be easy to achieve. Read something in your book every single day. Even if it's just a single page. Right now I don't care if the book is fiction or non-fiction. 

Write 

As an easy and accountable way of getting back to writing again I've decided that I'm going to roll a narrative through 2019. Right now the plan is very simple. 1 update per week. It doesn't matter how long or short it is. The point is just to do something. I'm not going to promise anything very good either. It's just a thing to try and make me happier. 

• Like 16

These are great big exciting goals Jon.... i know you will achieve all your dreams, and im here to watch and cheer you on!! Offering support when you need it xx

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Salinger said:

These are great big exciting goals Jon.... i know you will achieve all your dreams, and im here to watch and cheer you on!! Offering support when you need it xx

I believe that I can do it but I'm well aware of the enormity of the tasks that I've set out for myself. It does require me to buck up some of my ideas. 

• Like 1

Narrative. Just about getting something down on paper, so to speak, right now. 

First Steps

The stark white frost glittered across the moorland in the morning sunlight. A million crystals catching the rays and flaring light. Beyond the moor, the mountains lay in the distance. A thin veil of mist concealed their snow tipped peaks.  Their silhouettes glared back a great impassable barrier to the land beyond.

Nobody in their right mind would start a journey like this in mid winter, let alone heading across the moor. Whatever they did encounter out there would be half crazed with hunger.

The Rangers clung to the treeline and stared out over the hills that stretched out ahead of them. The mountains were where the borderline was drawn on the map but in reality civilisation ended at the moorland. Patrols and hunting parties would be frequent sights along the more well trodden roads but the Rangers had good reason for wanting to attract as little attention as they could. That meant heading straight across the moorland.

Jon sucked in a deep breath. Drawing the sweet frigid air through his nose and deep into his lungs. There was nothing for it.  There was an awful long way to go and they weren’t going to reach his destination without starting. Letting out a long sigh the Ranger took off into the Moorland at a slow trot. He didn’t really know if his legs would be able to carry him the entire way. The only thing he could do was try. One by one his companions followed him out of the trees and into the moors.

• Like 15

I LOVE that so many of us are dipping our toes back into narratives.  It's so fun to read everyone else's creations!!

I also love your 2019 goals, you had such an awe-inspiring year and I know you can conquer everything in your path (and those icy mountains!!)

• Like 3

Ha!  back in the thick of it... cool!

I'll try to catch up.  you know those English MOORS are quite the place- if you gonna go and be into fell running or whatever, I just might need to glass you in the distance!

so... go man go!  

typical-North-York-Moors-scenery.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I'd like to read 12 books in 2019.

Ooh same! I hope you find some really good ones!

Your writing is fantastic, Jon!

• Like 2

I am here. I might end up constantly behind and in spurts and stops trying to catch up, but I am here and I am cheering for you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shaar said:

I LOVE that so many of us are dipping our toes back into narratives.  It's so fun to read everyone else's creations!!

Thanks it is really cool to see so many people pick up the narratives at the same time. I guess it's just a good time to start something. Expressing my creativity is something I really want to nurture because I've not given myself that outlet for far too long. 

20 hours ago, Salinger said:

ooooooooooooh!!!!!!! Love that Jon

Thanks Lizz

20 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Here for the ride again!

Good to have you! 

19 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Following as always, and I'll try to keep up! I'm so excited for 2019, it will be truly epic.

I'm really excited for the big things that 2019 promises :)

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following to hit like on some posts so you know I'm around. Also I agree with others I'm glad to see narratives coming back.

Always good to have you around :) 

16 hours ago, TGP said:

I'll try to catch up.  you know those English MOORS are quite the place- if you gonna go and be into fell running or whatever, I just might need to glass you in the distance!

Fell running is actually a specific sport and one that I don't think i'd be very good at (because it requires navigation skills). Running over the fells (or walking over the fells and running between them) is a lot of fun. 

14 hours ago, Miaulin said:

Ooh same! I hope you find some really good ones!

:)  I'm open to suggestions. Right now I'm reading a couple of non-fiction books that I got before Christmas. 

14 hours ago, Miaulin said:

Your writing is fantastic, Jon!

Aww thanks. I feel like it's a shadow of what it once was. That's a large part of why I find it so hard to write these days. 

1 hour ago, Morag said:

I am here. I might end up constantly behind and in spurts and stops trying to catch up, but I am here and I am cheering for you.

Feel free to skip a head if you need to :) I do understand that my thread can sometimes get a little out of control. 

• Like 2

Week 0, Monday! 

Honestly I've been in two minds about updating for yesterday because I didn't really do all that well. I felt a little sick all day long and that affected my mood somewhat and because it was New Years Eve I auto failed a bunch of the things that I had in mind. 

Lose Weight

Calories were more than 2400, between 2400 and 3000 at a guess. That's an okay range for me to be eating in (it still constitutes a calorie deficit) but it's a failure in terms of the challenge. I think the carbs stayed below 150 but I didn't track well enough to be sure. 

Fail

Run all the Miles

I did run, but the run was awful. That's okay you can't win them all. It was awful because I was feeling sick. It's one of the very very few times when I've completely backed off of my programmed run and toned things way back. I was attempting 6x400m repeats. I ended up doing 3 at 400m, the third one being a lot slower than I wanted and then 3 at 200m at the same pace I was attempting to hit the 400m reps at (i.e. too slow for real 200m reps but I just wasn't feeling it). The plan had a 3 mile run with speed work. I did that so this is a pass even if it felt like one of the worst runs I've done in years. 

Pass

3/150

Lift all the Things

I did squats. They also felt quite terrible because my stomach was just not playing ball. I did manage 12 reps at 120kg (264lbs). The weights felt good, I was feeling bad. 

Spoiler

Week 3        
Exercise Sets Reps Weight AMRP
Squats 1 5 75.25  
  1 3 90.3  
  1 2 105.35  
  1 1 112.875  
  1 8+ 120.4 12
Front Squat 1 5 62.625  
  1 3 70.975  
  1 1 79.325 5

Lunge 1 5 54.375  
  1 3 61.625  
  1 1 68.875 6
Split Squat Dumbells 3 5 52  
Pull-ups 5 3 0 4

OCR Practice

NA

fail. I blame NYE but it's largely just habit. 

Read

I read a few pages of "The Happy Runner" By Megan and David Roche. A somewhat philosophical book (thus far) about running and injury. 

Write 

NA

• Like 9

It sucks when sick days derail your plans, I hope you feel better soon. 

They are going to happen occasionally so could you write some flexibility into your training plan? That way you don't have to feel bad when illness makes you take an easy day out of schedule. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You did way better than you give yourself credit for: you stayed in a deficit and worked out while not feeling well. That's very well done.

:) maybe. I'm honestly not that concerned over it and I was merely stating that by the letter of my own challenge it was a fail. I'm still happy enough with how the day worked out all things considered. Any time I eat more than I planned to and that didn't turn into a binge session is a win in my book. 

32 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Yeah you did well i recon Jon, keep going, hope you feel better today :) xx

Thanks. I am feeling a lot better but not 100% it's kind of weird. 

10 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

They are going to happen occasionally so could you write some flexibility into your training plan? That way you don't have to feel bad when illness makes you take an easy day out of schedule. 

The flexibility is implicit rather than explicit. I made the call to cut back on my run and I think that was the right call to make under the circumstances. I don't feel bad about doing that at all. It is again a matter of staying true to my own challenge goals. A missed or cut back day doesn't mean that I've failed my challenge at all but I don't think that it is negative to acknowledge it happened and why it happened and there is a difference with that than adding to a negative feedback loop. So it's more that I feel bad about yesterday because I felt bad yesterday and not because I had to make adjustments to my plan. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mr_Willes said:

Yes! Buckle up buddy, I'm coming for your lifting numbers! Which means I have to keep eyes on this place ...

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

Week 0, Tuesday! 

Well today was a day off work and a rest day. I am currently on call and that meant that I was stone cold sober for the new year. I did actually get a callout last night too but it turned out to be a false alarm (those are the worst). Not much to say about today TBH. I took a long walk this morning and I did a lot of domestic rangering. We are getting a new couch delivered this week and I needed to make sure we are ready to receive the thing. 

Lose Weight

I'm actually low in calories today. Quite low approximately 1800-2000 I think. Closer to 2k I guess. I'll probably eat a little more before bed but I'm not going to be making up to 2300. Technically this is a fail but I've not been hungry today and it is a rest day so I'm just going to let myself off the hook. 

Run all the Miles

rest

3/150

Lift all the Things

rest

OCR Practice

rest - honestly I don't know if I'm going to get to climbing this week since my usual time would be Thursday night and I need to be home Thursday night. I'd go on Sunday instead but I have a race this Sunday. 

fail. Mostly because I trashed the old couch :lol: 

Read

Not yet but I'll read a little before bed. 

Write 

NA

• Like 6

Really interested in the sleep restriction therapy goal since I've got a rubbish relationship with sleep as well.

Oh, and the narrative.  Keep up the writing!

• Like 1

Okay seems like a bunch of Rangers has taken on lifting on the new year. Almost feels like an order has to be formed...

I know i thrive on competition pretty well. What do you think?

• Like 2

On 12/31/2018 at 5:37 PM, jonfirestar said:

I've got some pretty big ideas for 2019. Huge scary ideas that when stated aloud don't even seem possible.

LOL, your name has become synonymous with "go big or go home", to me. You'll get them done.

Going to quickly read through your other writings ;) Chat again later.

• Like 5