On 1/4/2019 at 11:34 AM, raptron said:

Ohhh, that is pretty neat! Is it a complicated process?

Not at all.  My family just needed to obtain birth, marriage, and death certificates for the last 4 generations back.  Thankfully, my family is Catholic, and the Catholic church keeps excellent records, so we could locate everything.  

14 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Would treatments be the only reason to make the move or are you interesting in living in Europe for other reasons too? 

Shoulders engaged, elbows straight is good enough! I remember you having issues with full relaxed hangs before, but it sounds like the scar tissue is a more recent thing? 

We are considering moving to Europe for a few years (or longer) anyway.  We could have done so with work visas, but it will be much easier if the kids and I are citizens.

Re: the scar tissue.   The tl;dr 2018 medical bullshit was that I failed a mammogram back in March, got diagnosed with cancer, had a bilateral mastectomy with some lymph nodes removed from my armpit, and then had radiation to the whole area.  Everything got a lot tighter after the radiation, and my armpit really doesn't like full hangs anymore.  One of the reasons I've been focusing so much on the silks is that I can't take any hanging impact, so I can't really do laches or other fun parkour stuff.  

13 hours ago, x Valkyrie x said:

Hello! I am recently returned to NF, myself, and your challenge is intriguing! Your activities are ones that I’d love to get into but haven’t yet...silks and parkour are both fascinating to me! I shall be following your badass progress this challenge :D also, I want all the IP recipes too, because I just got one for Christmas :p so far, my favorite thing has been a chicken and rice recipe, and shredded chicken for burritos...mostly, the fact that you can turn it on and forget about it is the best thing ever. 

One of my tasks today is to search for a few IP recipes to try in the next week.  :)  

• Like 3

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

8 hours ago, Nymeria said:

Re: the scar tissue.   The tl;dr 2018 medical bullshit was that I failed a mammogram back in March, got diagnosed with cancer, had a bilateral mastectomy with some lymph nodes removed from my armpit, and then had radiation to the whole area.  Everything got a lot tighter after the radiation, and my armpit really doesn't like full hangs anymore.  One of the reasons I've been focusing so much on the silks is that I can't take any hanging impact, so I can't really do laches or other fun parkour stuff.  

Really I'm just so glad you're okay. But I guess when you're over the relief of being cancer-free then it still sucks a lot that it ended up impacting your life like that. Any chance of it improving? or just something to deal with permanently? 

• Like 1

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

9 hours ago, Nymeria said:

Not at all.  My family just needed to obtain birth, marriage, and death certificates for the last 4 generations back.  Thankfully, my family is Catholic, and the Catholic church keeps excellent records, so we could locate everything.  

We are considering moving to Europe for a few years (or longer) anyway.  We could have done so with work visas, but it will be much easier if the kids and I are citizens.

One of my tasks today is to search for a few IP recipes to try in the next week.  :)  

I am an American living in Ireland- I’m on a spouse visa, as my husband is Irish. There are a lot of perks of living abroad, and a lot of adjustments! Best of luck in your endeavors! 

Ive heard of that kind of tightness following mastectomies. Have you pursued any physio regarding it? I worked with a PT while I was in PTA school who specialized in treating women post-mastectomy to improve range of motion. 

On 1/6/2019 at 8:36 AM, Salinger said:

I hope everything is alright now ? Sorry to hear about the cancer :( fuck sake. You seem to be doing so well though! xx

The stats for the type I had were that in the next 5 years, I have a 6% chance of a distant metastasis, and a 94% chance of not having one.  Even if I were to be in the unlucky 6%, it should be very treatable (but not technically curable at that point).  

On 1/6/2019 at 5:33 PM, KB Girl said:

Really I'm just so glad you're okay. But I guess when you're over the relief of being cancer-free then it still sucks a lot that it ended up impacting your life like that. Any chance of it improving? or just something to deal with permanently? 

It might improve.  Honestly, I don't feel like I have much of a right to complain, since everyone in my cancer support group had it worse.  I really got off easily with not needing chemo and having a relatively easy recovery from everything!  :) 

On 1/6/2019 at 5:38 PM, x Valkyrie x said:

I am an American living in Ireland- I’m on a spouse visa, as my husband is Irish. There are a lot of perks of living abroad, and a lot of adjustments! Best of luck in your endeavors! 

Ive heard of that kind of tightness following mastectomies. Have you pursued any physio regarding it? I worked with a PT while I was in PTA school who specialized in treating women post-mastectomy to improve range of motion. 

My insurance won't cover any physio, since for normal activities I'm considered to have a full range of motion and full ability.  They're not that concerned with whether you can take a ton of impact.  I really just need to keep stretching it.

• Like 3

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Week 0 went well, and I'm off to a great start on week 1.  For week 0, I tried the sweet potato stew as well as a veggie curry.  This week, I've already tried a spinach and mushroom spaghetti squash recipe, and I have all of the ingredients to do a lasagna in the IP.  

Walking has been great.  I managed over 30 km last week, and I've walked both yesterday and today.  I've also started the Sean Vigue 30 day power yoga challenge (on youtube), so things are going well for me with the yoga and workout intensity.  My challenge may be boring, but I'm getting better about getting things done.

I'm also 8 days into my completely dry January.

giphy.gif

I'll admit that I had been horrible with the alcohol from last April through December (definitely flirting with functional alcoholism), and I need to change that for many, many reasons.  So yay for starting the new year right!

• Like 4

My tutorials:

Sorry that I've been MIA.  I caught a nasty cold, and I've just been bleh.  I'm still managing to get my walking and insta-potting in, so I'm still doing well with this simple challenge.

This week, I've tried a green bean casserole (worked, but honestly it was easier and better in the regular oven) and some stuffed bell peppers.  I'll be redoing the sweet potato chili that I linked earlier in this thread, since my daughter really liked it and wants more.  :)  

I've spent too much time in the last year moping and spreading gloom, so I wanted to share a couple great things that are happening with my family: 

I'll have to add it to my list for next challenge, but I really need to get into hardcore vacation planning mode.  My family is doing an Eastern Mediterranean cruise in August to celebrate the 1 year anniversary of being finished with cancer treatments (well, mostly we just wanted an excuse for a big vacation.  YOLO and all...).  I have to figure out which sites we'll try to do on our own, and which ones we'll just book a cruise excursion.  I'm so excited about all of it!

I also need to ramp up some of my math club preparations.  My son is a huge math whiz, and I've been coaching a competition team through his school.  A bunch of the kids on the team qualified for the state competition in one of the math contests that we do, and my son is determined to do well enough to make it to nationals (actually, it's very likely that he will.  He crushed the other kids at his grade level in the regional qualifier).  He wants me to help him prepare for all of that, as well as the school MathCounts tournament in a couple weeks (because he wants to beat all of the 6th graders). ;) 

• Like 5

My tutorials:

I think with the instapot it just takes experimenting. I love soups in it. Some other things have worked alright, but not really easier than the oven.

So cool  that you are coaching your son's math team and that you have a  goo shot at nationals. I remember when you were really struggling with how to help your son fid the right place in school, so it's great that is finding outlets for his giftedness

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

46 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I think with the instapot it just takes experimenting. I love soups in it. Some other things have worked alright, but not really easier than the oven.

So cool  that you are coaching your son's math team and that you have a  goo shot at nationals. I remember when you were really struggling with how to help your son fid the right place in school, so it's great that is finding outlets for his giftedness

He's still an outlier at his school, but there are a couple kids in different grades who are also outliers.  The school bumped him up to 6th grade math (he's a 3rd grader), so that has helped quite a bit!

43 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Tell your son I believe in him. I hope you feel better soon.

If he makes nationals, we'll have to head to Texas in mid June.  ;) They generally hold them at the Texas A&M campus.

2 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

That's so cool! Both the vacation and the math whiz kid :) I don't think we get math comps here.. what are they like? 

The one he's trying for nationals in is called MathLeague.  They do one test that is very fast computations, one that is longer and has more in-depth problems, and one that has only a few very in-depth problems.  Then, they do a 4 person team test, and at the end, the scores are tabulated to find winning individuals and teams.  He's doing MathCounts in a couple weeks, but he's not eligible to do anything beyond the school competition (strict age limits).  He already did AMC8 this year, too.  Mostly, math comps involve sitting around and solving math problems.  But the problems are much more tricky and intricate than anything they do in regular math class.  

• Like 4

My tutorials:

4 hours ago, Nymeria said:

My family is doing an Eastern Mediterranean cruise in August

I love any reason for an amazing vacation and 1 year post treatments is a great excuse!  We are doing a cruise out of Barcelona in July but we are cruising around Spain and France to England.     I hope you are feeling better today!  That math stuff sounds amazing, and kudos to you for coaching the kiddos, wahoo!

Ranger-Monk Hybrid - Do all the things and lots of BJJ

I am a strong little powerhouse 

Current Challenge: Terra turns 50?!?!?

On 1/11/2019 at 9:50 PM, Nymeria said:

The one he's trying for nationals in is called MathLeague.  They do one test that is very fast computations, one that is longer and has more in-depth problems, and one that has only a few very in-depth problems.  Then, they do a 4 person team test, and at the end, the scores are tabulated to find winning individuals and teams.  He's doing MathCounts in a couple weeks, but he's not eligible to do anything beyond the school competition (strict age limits).  He already did AMC8 this year, too.  Mostly, math comps involve sitting around and solving math problems.  But the problems are much more tricky and intricate than anything they do in regular math class.  

Sounds like something I would have enjoyed as a kid :) Cool that he gets to do these things!

I looked at one of the past sprint problems, but I couldn't make heads or tails out of it. Not sure if it's because it's been a loooooong time or because the English math-speak is really confusing me. So you can still solve all those problems? 

KB Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and an excellent coach

2023 goals tracker; cycling: 1047,7/5000km & reading to my kids: 58/365 days (updated may 1st)

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Oh man, that cruise sounds really awesome! That's a great reason to have a big vacation. :)

Sounds like your cold is mostly kicking itself? And grats on your dry January progress so far. :D

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Bleh...  The cold just keeps on lingering.  I can't quite shake the cough.

Fitness wise, things have been fairly light.  I've walked a lot, shoveled snow over the weekend, and have managed some light yoga.  Today, I kicked by own ass a bit by doing a fairly intense Sean Vigue power yoga video, so I'm at least optimistic that I'm on the mend.  

Cooking has been much better than the fitness for me.  I made instant pot mac and cheese, and re-did a sweet potato chili that everyone liked.  Tonight, I'm going to try this chili:  https://www.wellplated.com/instant-pot-vegetarian-chili/   So, nothing too exciting is happening in my world, but I am doing a good job of sticking to the basics.  All of this instant-potting means that my pizza and restaurant food consumption has gone way down.  :)  

• Like 2

My tutorials:

On 12/31/2018 at 9:58 AM, Nymeria said:

Goal 3: Engage the pressure cooker.  I just got an instant pot for x-mas, and I've already tried a few amazing recipes.  For this goal, I'm going to try 2 new, healthy recipes each week.  I generally end up with a lot of leftovers, so this ensures that I have a lot of healthy food available all of the time.

Have you visited Instantloss yet? That's Heather's best friend who created the website :D. She's got her second cookbook coming out this year too! We now have 2 instantpots and use them for almost every meal so if there's anything I can help with, I would like to think Heather could answer lol. She's become a master of the instantpot ;) 

Other than that, here to follow! I'm excited about your attack plan for 2019! 

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Chili and mac and cheese sounds like food winning to me, haha. 

Yay for yoga!

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Did you combine the chili and the mac and cheese? Because chili mac is one of my favourite food groups, 10/10 would recommend hahah

That cruise sounds amazing! I've been wanting to go on one myself - there's really something to be said about just being carted around from place to place and not really having to worry about planning anything on a vacation.

On 1/12/2019 at 6:06 PM, KB Girl said:

Sounds like something I would have enjoyed as a kid :) Cool that he gets to do these things!

I looked at one of the past sprint problems, but I couldn't make heads or tails out of it. Not sure if it's because it's been a loooooong time or because the English math-speak is really confusing me. So you can still solve all those problems? 

I would be a really poor coach if I couldn't still solve all of the problems.  :) 

8 hours ago, Wolfpool said:

Have you visited Instantloss yet? That's Heather's best friend who created the website :D. She's got her second cookbook coming out this year too! We now have 2 instantpots and use them for almost every meal so if there's anything I can help with, I would like to think Heather could answer lol. She's become a master of the instantpot ;) 

Other than that, here to follow! I'm excited about your attack plan for 2019! 

Wolf

oooh.  I'll have to check it out.  I'm jealous of the multiple instant pots.  I'm enough of a weirdo that I would love having chili cook-offs with myself if I had 2 instant pots. ;) 

7 hours ago, raptron said:

Chili and mac and cheese sounds like food winning to me, haha. 

Yay for yoga!

I love chili-mac!  It hasn't worked particularly well with the chili recipe I used today, but I'll have to hunt for some good chili-mac recipes.  

5 hours ago, Raxie said:

Did you combine the chili and the mac and cheese? Because chili mac is one of my favourite food groups, 10/10 would recommend hahah

That cruise sounds amazing! I've been wanting to go on one myself - there's really something to be said about just being carted around from place to place and not really having to worry about planning anything on a vacation.

I'm super excited about the cruise.  We're going to see Rome, Pompei, Athens, Malta, and a bunch of Greek Islands.  The best part is that I've never been to any of these!

• Like 3

My tutorials:

Still here..  Still doing my thing...  Still not spending enough time catching up with everyone else on NF.  

The last week was decent.  I'm feeling much more solid on my inverts at silks class.  I've been somewhat avoiding the parkour, since my joints all feel creaky enough that I don't want to push anything too much.  I've been hitting the Sean Vigue 30 day power yoga challenge, and that has been great for me.  I'm still walking a lot, too, although somewhat less than my goal for the last week, due to the snow and ice.

Instant Pot cooking has been awesome.  In the last week, I've done 2 different types of chili, some stuffed bell peppers, and a few other small things.  Everything has been great!  I'm no longer having a fully dry January, but that's okay.  I like having a beer with my football.  *shrug*  Damn, you Patriots!  I'm so sick of you and really wanted to see the Chiefs instead.  Boo!

This week is looking busy already.  I'm running math club tomorrow.  Then, my daughter has a concert on Wednesday.  Friday, both kids are off for a teacher workday.  Saturday, my son is competing in his school Mathcounts tournament (and I'll probably be helping with some of the grading and crowd control).  Sunday, I'm forcing myself to attend a neighborhood party and actually socialize with people rather than be a hermit.  

• Like 3

My tutorials:

I live in Boston and am also fully sick of the Patriots, haha. 

Yay for good inverts! 

Raptron, alot assassin