100 pts for Charisma and going to a neighborhood party!

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I just can't seem to shake this nasty cold virus.  Ugh...  I'm so congested and dizzy.  Bleh.  

On the good side, the instant pot worked beautifully for a dried bean and barley soup mix.  The exercise has been okay, but not awesome, but the instant pot part of the challenge has been wonderful so far.  

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

On 1/26/2019 at 4:43 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Gaah hope you feel better sooon!!!

Btw do you have any parkour super noob tips for people that can't jump? :D 

Still have a gross cold, but I'm hopefully starting to get better.  Ugh.

Are you starting parkour?!  :)   I'm not a great jumper either, and I would say that you have two major focus areas to improve the jumping.  One is simply improving your leg strength by doing more squats, lunges, and calf raises.  The other thing to keep in mind is that there is a lot of technique (as well as a bit of a mental hurdle) involved in carrying momentum into a jump.  For the technique side, the best bet is to have someone else assess your arm swing, body position, and the rest (I imagine @raptron would have great advice for all of this.  :) ).  

The mental hurdle side to jumping is the same mental hurdle that you'll find in all parkour things.  A lot of people hold back because they're afraid on some level of falling, splatting, crashing into things, or otherwise getting hurt.  For many vaults, you're actually more likely to get hurt if you don't commit to the move and really let yourself fly.  

• Like 3

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

13 minutes ago, Nymeria said:

Are you starting parkour?!  :)   I'm not a great jumper either, and I would say that you have two major focus areas to improve the jumping.  One is simply improving your leg strength by doing more squats, lunges, and calf raises.  The other thing to keep in mind is that there is a lot of technique (as well as a bit of a mental hurdle) involved in carrying momentum into a jump.  For the technique side, the best bet is to have someone else assess your arm swing, body position, and the rest (I imagine @raptron would have great advice for all of this.  :) ).  

Parkour people have different ideas of efficiency of movement than I do, hehe. 

I will say getting stronger legs has helped my jumps a LOT though! 

Glad you are starting to feel better, even if it's taking some time.

Raptron, alot assassin

666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

18 hours ago, Nymeria said:

The mental hurdle side to jumping is the same mental hurdle that you'll find in all parkour things.  A lot of people hold back because they're afraid on some level of falling, splatting, crashing into things, or otherwise getting hurt.  For many vaults, you're actually more likely to get hurt if you don't commit to the move and really let yourself fly.  

Hope you feel better sooon!

YEAH! I went to a trial class at a place I discovered near my house and it was sooo much fun!!! I've had three regular classes so far and I adore it! 

Strength training will be happening very soon. The mental hurdle will be a long term work in progress haha. :P That is probably a big part of it, as well as not being used to jumping and using my momentum effectively. I did actually chat to my teacher yesterday about jumping technique and she said the basic mechanics are fine, it's mostly practice and using my arms and legs more. 

Yep yep. I have noticed! :D The mental side is partly why I wanted to continue with parkour, I'm such a scaredy cat I want to get a little braver. Vaulting is very challenging mentally, but baby steps.

Thanks!

18 hours ago, raptron said:

Parkour people have different ideas of efficiency of movement than I do, hehe. 

I will say getting stronger legs has helped my jumps a LOT though! 

Heh and here I thought that split jumps was the way everyone jumps? :P 

Good thing we're getting that office squat rack then. :D 

Challenge wrap up:

This one was a mixed bag, but I did finish.  The biggest issue is that I was plagued with a horrible cold the entire time, and I really struggled to get my physical activities up to the level I wanted.  Also, due to the snow and ice, I didn't even manage all of my walking.  Boo.  I'm beginning to wonder whether I actually had a low grade case of the flu.  My husband, son, and I have all had horrible lingering respiratory infections with sore, stiff muscles and fatigue for the last month.  Nothing has been bad enough to miss work or school, but everyone has felt really bleh.  

The super positive side of my challenge is that I've tried so many instant pot recipes, and it has somewhat revolutionized the way I'm cooking.  So, yay for that!  The best part is that the kids have enjoyed a lot of the recipes, too, so they're eating much healthier.

I have a few ideas for the next challenge, and I'm hoping that I'll be in a physically better place.  It sounds horrible, but I'm glad that I'm not the only one in my family who has been sick.  If so, I would have been worried about a cancer metastasis causing my problems, but since others were sick too, I'm reassured that it's just a virus.  

• Like 3

My tutorials:

3 hours ago, Nymeria said:

My husband, son, and I have all had horrible lingering respiratory infections with sore, stiff muscles and fatigue for the last month.  Nothing has been bad enough to miss work or school, but everyone has felt really bleh.  

Augh, gross. Yeah, it sounds like you guys definitely got hit with someone not so great. Hope everyone is returning to form. 

The super positive side of my challenge is that I've tried so many instant pot recipes, and it has somewhat revolutionized the way I'm cooking.  So, yay for that!  The best part is that the kids have enjoyed a lot of the recipes, too, so they're eating much healthier.

That is huge! Love. 

Raptron, alot assassin

666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Yay for yummy instapot recipes! I had a cold with a cough at the beginning of last month, and I'm still trying to get over the last of the cough. Ugh. Hope you feel better soon

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

It does sound like flu symptoms.. hope everyone gets over it soon! The healthy meals can only help :)

Did you have a slowcooker before you had an insta-pot? and if so, do you like/use it a lot more than you did the slow cooker?

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

On 2/4/2019 at 12:09 PM, raptron said:

Augh, gross. Yeah, it sounds like you guys definitely got hit with someone not so great. Hope everyone is returning to form. 

That is huge! Love. 

We're all still feeling kind of gross.  This winter has been brutal.

On 2/4/2019 at 12:24 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Euughhh I really hope you’ll be back to full capacity soon. But yay for cooking!

The cooking has been great!  I'm going to try a minestrone soup today, and I'll be searching for other instant pot recipes for the rest of the weekend!

On 2/4/2019 at 12:37 PM, Elastigirl said:

Yay for yummy instapot recipes! I had a cold with a cough at the beginning of last month, and I'm still trying to get over the last of the cough. Ugh. Hope you feel better soon

I still have a nasty cough and congestion.  And now, one of my kids has a fever.  Ugh.  It has been so hard to get into a good rhythm with the exercise.

On 2/4/2019 at 3:20 PM, KB Girl said:

It does sound like flu symptoms.. hope everyone gets over it soon! The healthy meals can only help :)

Did you have a slowcooker before you had an insta-pot? and if so, do you like/use it a lot more than you did the slow cooker?

I had a slow cooker, and used that quite a bit before.  The biggest problem I had was that I didn't always have the ingredients ready to go and the forethought to start cooking at 10 am for dinner.  With the instant pot, I can start the cooking process an hour before dinnertime, and everything is ready.  So, I think if you're really organized and have all of your meals planned in advance, the slow cooker is fine.  If you're not as organized and would rather decide at 5 pm what you want to eat, then the instant pot is a much better choice.  

• Like 1

My tutorials:

I guess I'll be sitting out of the next/current challenge.  I'm still feeling blah, and I'm not sure that I have the bandwidth to push any goals, other than trying to eat healthier and move more.  I'm busy working on some AWS certifications, started crocheting, and just got a 3d printer, so I'm kind of busy with non-Nerdfitness types of things.  On top of that, I'm still coaching the math team at my son's school, and I'm still struggling through this nasty cold/flu/whatever virus.  

I'll try to get back into the game during the March challenge!

• Like 2

My tutorials:

I guess I'll be sitting out of the next/current challenge.  I'm still feeling blah, and I'm not sure that I have the bandwidth to push any goals, other than trying to eat healthier and move more.  I'm busy working on some AWS certifications, started crocheting, and just got a 3d printer, so I'm kind of busy with non-Nerdfitness types of things.  On top of that, I'm still coaching the math team at my son's school, and I'm still struggling through this nasty cold/flu/whatever virus.  

Sorry you're still feeling blah. You could do a challenge and just post cool pictures of all the things you make crocheting and the 3d printer.

On 2/16/2019 at 9:37 AM, Nymeria said:

Totally fair!

Raptron, alot assassin