New year, same me, and that's ok [Manarelle]

Manarelle

Goals:

• Thermoplastics: Finish breastplate, start sabatons if possible.
  • Regular stuff: Exercise, languages, attitude awareness, food tracking.
  • Extras (not necessary, but nice to do):
    • Finish resume, start job search. 
    • Clean/ rearrange bookshelves and clothing.
    • Sewing: start 4th pair of work pants, eyeball what will need done for the Thor costume.

I'm keeping all the regular stuff that's become standard, day-to-day fare. I'm making solid progress on all fronts, so not changing what isn't broken. I'm making good progress on the breastplate for the Thor costume, but I also know that May will arrive sooner than expected, and a common theme I see in cosplay write-ups is last-minute panicked finishing. I've gone most of my life avoiding last-minute stuff, so I'm aiming to keep on top of this and have it finished at least a week early, a month early if I have my way. I've got the boots I intend to wear already soaking/ stretching so I can break them in beforehand, and I should be able to start first attempts at sabatons while they're still being worked.

27d456a7-b32f-4a07-9619-0fb9a2c90c1d-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds 

Current state of the breastplate.

Couple extra things I'd like to get done, but aren't stress-worthy. The resume/ job search, definitely, but that's very much a thing to do as applicable job postings arise, so not going to put a hard date on it. Cleaning bookshelves and clearing out unworn clothes is important, but again, not by a hard date. The sewing stuff is an "as available" item, mostly as backup for current clothing and early prep for finishing cosplay. No pressure.

I will probably be tweaking food intake at some point this year, but since I've only just gotten back to tracking it, I want a baseline first. I am seeing slow but welcome changes in my body, so don't want to make any drastic changes that I'll regret and regress on. Re-evaluation will probably be around mid-March, to see if I'll be con-ready by May. Gotta get them muscles showing.

So yeah, not exciting, but just keeping things going. My one nod to the "new year, new you" silliness is that I got about a 3" patch on the nape of my neck shaved - the shortest my hair has been literally since I was born. I've never trusted a hair cut place to do it, because every single stylist I'd been to before had an immediate reaction of "your hair is so long and thick... let me cut it short!" and after 18 years of fighting my mother cutting my hair and "accidentally" cutting it shorter than I wanted, I am highly protective of it. I realized I'd been seeing the same lady for about 4 years now, though, and she does what I ask (even if she asked if I was sure a lot at first), so I took the plunge. She was super nice about it, showing me examples on her coworkers, and calling them back for a consult when she'd sectioned off the area to be shaved, but it was still a bit nerve-wracking. Glad I did it, now, because I no longer have wispies escaping ponytails and braids within 5 minutes, making me look like a frazzled fruitcake. 

0449b2e6-1bbb-4764-bddc-c6eea958859b-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds 

• Like 8

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

13 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Current state of the breastplate.

I love the breastplate, but if I'm being honest my favorite part of that picture is all the Legos on the shelf behind it :D 

Glad I did it, now, because I no longer have wispies escaping ponytails and braids within 5 minutes, making me look like a frazzled fruitcake

It looks really good, I like it!

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

I like your challenge's title :)

My one nod to the "new year, new you" silliness is that I got about a 3" patch on the nape of my neck shaved

That's brilliant. I have been pondering about doing that myself because the hardest maintenance bit is in that area.

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I love the breastplate, but if I'm being honest my favorite part of that picture is all the Legos on the shelf behind it :D 

Lol, while I'm a staunch minimalist, I recognize that my gentleman's desire to line the entire house with geek cred make for more interesting pictures. 

6 hours ago, @mu said:

I like your challenge's title :)

That's brilliant. I have been pondering about doing that myself because the hardest maintenance bit is in that area.

Thanks. I'm pretty happy with where I am in life, and it's a nod to Wreck-It-Ralph's bad guy affirmation. And yes, if you've been pondering the undercut, I recommend it. Takes a little bit to get used to, but it's nice not having those flyaways.

Undercuts can be super useful! Enjoy the added ease. :D 

And hell yeah, you're doing great. KEEP DOING GREAT.

• Thanks 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 12/31/2018 at 11:11 AM, Manarelle said:

I've gone most of my life avoiding last-minute stuff

I am a late bloomer in this regard but now that I don't do things at the last minute I LOVE MY LIFE SO MUUUUUUUUCH. So way to be ahead of the curve, there. :)

Also, the undercut looks great! 

• Like 1

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

Week 0:

• Thermoplastics: Sent off designs for breastplate to artist, started sabatons.
  • Regular stuff: Yup. Food tracking is odd, some days are fine, some are just hungry nonstop.
    • Finished resume. 
    • Thought about cleaning.... watched Let's Play of Assassins Creed 2 instead. 
    • Sewing: nothing.

Clearly,  the word for foot armor is going to give me fits, because *I* think it should be "sabotons," from the French "sabot" meaning shoe, but then it gets the red wiggly line beneath it, so I second-guess myself and change it to sabatons, but then the editor doesn't like that either, and the internet says it's with an a but who trusts the internet on anything and I give up. It will be spelled both ways on here. 

Anyway, they're coming along nicely. I sort of mashed two patterns together and got something that probably needs a bit more tweaking but is pretty not bad:

fc07fa4e-923e-40fb-a174-bf6077ff1a58-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds  970aa543-5f56-4a86-a1cb-ddd968bd3d50-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds 

Also, we got confirmation that the artist my gentleman wants to see will be at Dallas Fan Expo in May, so looks like I have a deadline. Thankfully, once I get the breastplate designs back, that should be fairly straightforward to finish up (famous last words). Here's to keeping my streak of finishing ahead of time. 

Otherwise, pretty even keel week. Found out the company we have recarpeting the office is not only horrible at laying carpet, but also "cleaned out" a couple people's desks (to make them easier to move) by dumping everything in their trash cans over the last weekend. The cleaners, not knowing any better, then threw everything away, so I spent some time today packing up everything personal that doesn't fit in my one lockable set of drawers, and bringing it home. Finished part 3 of my 4-part online class, one more to go and then I think I'll take a break until I finish the cosplay, then hunt around for a new topic (like maybe an AC cosplay... wait, that's not a class). 

• Like 3

On 1/2/2019 at 11:05 PM, raptron said:

And hell yeah, you're doing great. KEEP DOING GREAT.

this!

Your spelling trouble made me laugh, I have that problem often as well and it's such an unnecessary pain :P 

Anyway they look like they are coming along very nice indeed

• Like 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

On 1/6/2019 at 8:55 AM, Manarelle said:

Clearly,  the word for foot armor is going to give me fits, because *I* think it should be "sabotons," from the French "sabot" meaning shoe, but then it gets the red wiggly line beneath it, so I second-guess myself and change it to sabatons, but then the editor doesn't like that either, and the internet says it's with an a but who trusts the internet on anything and I give up. It will be spelled both ways on here.  

Having played a LOT of fantasy games, I've only ever seen it spelled with an 'a'. I'm guessing it's probably an english bastardisation of the original french....

• Like 1

Neutral Gargoyle Warrior with a dash of Ranger/Monk/Adventurer. Now LEVEL 9!  My Instagram

STR 78, CON 31, DEX 1, INT 21, WIS 13.5, CHA 4

Meet lifts: SQ 175kg, B 112.5kg, Dead 215kg.   Gym lifts: SQ 185kg, B 132.5kg, Dead 220kg

Nerd Stuff: Sci Fi TV, Sci Fi + Fantasy Books, Classic Space Lego, Warhammer 40K...

On 1/10/2019 at 5:55 AM, Blocky said:

I'm guessing it's probably an english bastardisation of the original french....

Because english bastardizes everything. I've lived in MD for 6 years now, and I still cringe every time a native says the town name "Havre de Grace." Nails on a chalkboard. 

So last night was rather frustrating. I got rivet screws in, to add the pivot points to the sabatons, only to discover that adding the 2mm thick worbla layer to lower pieces makes the upper pieces too small. Also, I've been working only with one boot while the other one stretched out a bit, and learned that they do not bend in the same place on the toe box. So my carefully crafted pattern is... not entirely useless, but definitely not correct. SIGH. Yeah, I know it was a useful lesson and I'll get it right eventually, but that's really annoying. Especially since it took 2.5 hours to find that out. Not a fast process. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Because english bastardizes everything. I've lived in MD for 6 years now, and I still cringe every time a native says the town name "Havre de Grace." Nails on a chalkboard. 

So last night was rather frustrating. I got rivet screws in, to add the pivot points to the sabatons, only to discover that adding the 2mm thick worbla layer to lower pieces makes the upper pieces too small. Also, I've been working only with one boot while the other one stretched out a bit, and learned that they do not bend in the same place on the toe box. So my carefully crafted pattern is... not entirely useless, but definitely not correct. SIGH. Yeah, I know it was a useful lesson and I'll get it right eventually, but that's really annoying. Especially since it took 2.5 hours to find that out. Not a fast process. 

Aw, man. Sorry for the set back! 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

10 hours ago, Manarelle said:

So my carefully crafted pattern is... not entirely useless, but definitely not correct. SIGH. Yeah, I know it was a useful lesson and I'll get it right eventually, but that's really annoying. Especially since it took 2.5 hours to find that out. Not a fast process. 

UGGGGGGGHHHH that is so annoying. I'm sorry.  BUT lessons learned! Next time will be better! 

• Like 1

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

Week 1:

• Thermoplastics: Progress. See below.
  • Regular stuff: Upped some things at the gym, shoveled snow for 1.5 hours with only a stiff lower back.
    • 50% done with last Cybersecurity class. 
    • Scheduled and did scans for dental implant. Mildly terrified of the next step.

So the good news: I got thermoplastics stuff done. Couple false starts, but at just over 11 hours' work on the sabatons, I got one built up to the ankle:

65fe6887-701a-4476-a2a7-82456b056138-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds 

I'm debating whether to add a  short greave to the front, like just the height of the boot and wrapped around to just in front of the zipper (on the inside) or something, with more designs to match the breastplate... we'll see. For now, I'm pretty dang proud that the bloody thing a) fits, and b) moves enough to allow walking and squatting. I don't know yet if it will wear any paint off with that movement, but only one way to find out, eh? Also need to sort out how to add elastic around the bottom of the foot to keep it close to the boot, but that's a problem for tomorrow. I'm running low on Worbla and foam, so there will be a shopping trip down to Annapolis - the only place in MD that carries Worbla, apparently - next weekend if it doesn't snow again. Busy, busy.

Gym went well, though I had three people stop me throughout the week and compliment/ ask for tips on handstands. I've split my practice time to half against the wall and half in the middle of the floor, provided there's no one else using the area, so I guess it's a little more noticeable. Also hit 3 sets of 10 reps on front dips using a large band to assist, so I'll drop down to a medium band this week; hope I live. 

Lost the back-most molar on one side last year, finally got around to scheduling stuff to get an implant. Part of my brain says "it's fine, they've been doing this for years, there's nothing to worry about" and the other part is running in circles going "THAT'S YOUR BONE RIGHT BY THE NERVE THAT THEY ALWAYS MISS WHEN THEY TRY TO NUMB YOU OMG OMG OMG OMG." Not very helpful. On the plus side, the 3D scan/ major x-rays they took to make sure I had sufficient bone mass (I do) showed my sinuses being lovely and clear, so yay for silver linings, I guess. 

Overall, decent week. Here's to making progress on the cosplay again this coming one. 

• Like 5

The progress on the sabatons looks great, but I couldn't help but notice this little gem 

6 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I had three people stop me throughout the week and compliment/ ask for tips on handstands

That is sooooo awesome!  All the handstands :) 

• Like 2

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

7 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Gym went well, though I had three people stop me throughout the week and compliment/ ask for tips on handstands. I've split my practice time to half against the wall and half in the middle of the floor, provided there's no one else using the area, so I guess it's a little more noticeable.

And noticeable progress, that's awesome!

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

WOAH, THAT BOOT IS DOPE.

And yessss for being a handstand guru at the gym. :D 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

Well, idk about guru, per se, I just fall down less often than someone who hasn't practiced. But yes, I am doing better than when I started. I've noticed other people gettnig interested in the rings, too, where no one was messing with them when I started there. Some random lady walked by as I was doing L-sits last week. She muttered "I wonder if I can still...", jumped up to the other set of rings, and after one or two attempts, kicked up to an inverted hang. The look on her face was priceless. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Well, idk about guru, per se, I just fall down less often than someone who hasn't practiced. But yes, I am doing better than when I started. I've noticed other people gettnig interested in the rings, too, where no one was messing with them when I started there. Some random lady walked by as I was doing L-sits last week. She muttered "I wonder if I can still...", jumped up to the other set of rings, and after one or two attempts, kicked up to an inverted hang. The look on her face was priceless. 

Nice!  Way to be an inspiration at the gym :) 

Level 2 Ninja

22 hours ago, Manarelle said:

<3

Raptron, alot assassin

On 1/16/2019 at 11:18 PM, courtneyc said:

Your costume work is amazing! And nice work on the handstands! I have yet to find that magical balance point...one day.

Thanks. For the handstands, core work, shoulder strength, and hand strength are huge. It took my probably 8 months to get my wrist flexibility and forearms to a place I could balance a crow pose for 20 seconds; making the switch from crow to handstands is mostly core and shoulder strength, although I still tend to put too much weight on the base of my palms when I first kick up. Bad habits break hard.

Week 2:

• Thermoplastics: Drove down to Annapolis and got more Worbla, though it's a different kind now. Should have enough of the original to finish the other sabaton.
  • Regular stuff: Bad week for attitude - shark week and anger at some things I have no agency in. Trying to get on top of it again. 
    • Started editing a book for a friend. Based on the first 10%, it will take me roughly 25 hours to finish.

Kind of an off week. Tweaked a muscle in my back while shoveling snow on Sunday, so had to deload my deadlifts and ended up reworking my workout. Been doing 3x10 for about 15 months, want to try 4x8 or pyramid sets for variety. Couple things I'm waiting on responses for, but the responses keep being delayed, and I can't do anything to move them along. I've gotten okay at dealing with that on one or two things at a time, but apparently not more than that. Working on reining that in, now. Spent a fair amount of down time this week editing a book that a friend wrote. It's not bad, but it is work-intensive; the first 40 pages took me 2.5 hours to get through, with making corrections and comments. A co-worker heard me talking about it and directed me to a freelance editing/ proofreading page that I might apply for as a side gig once I finish this book. It's slow work, but I do enjoy it.

Not much else going on, just kinda working my way along. Not saying I'm unhappy about having stability in my life, but it can be a little boring at times.  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Tweaked a muscle in my back while shoveling snow on Sunday, so had to deload my deadlifts and ended up reworking my workout.

Sometimes I wish there was an opportunity around to shovel snow/earth and hack wood as a workout. (Maybe a farm...?) Many of us focus so much on structured exercises but then fail at such "basic" movements. I saw that while moving: Assembling a wardrobe was hell for my back. But the workout the day after was a piece of cake, because I knew what I was doing.

• Like 1

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

1 hour ago, Akura said:

Sometimes I wish there was an opportunity around to shovel snow/earth and hack wood as a workout. (Maybe a farm...?) Many of us focus so much on structured exercises but then fail at such "basic" movements. I saw that while moving: Assembling a wardrobe was hell for my back. But the workout the day after was a piece of cake, because I knew what I was doing.

Maybe some of it is also movement awareness? We pay so much attention to form in workouts, but during more unusual activities our focus is probably elsewhere. If we were consciously thinking about the muscle groups we engage for each move, I imagine we'd fare a little better.

• Like 2

Current Challenge, 8765, 4321

"Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work."

- Stephen King