• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TGP

TGP makes a daring escape!

8 hours ago, TGP said:

I love how BUSY the forums seem right now.   

Welcome to the new year ;)

8 hours ago, TGP said:

not a good morning

I hate to hear that...and hope you can change it for the better soon! Good starts to the day are important

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TGP said:

not a good morning.

Missed my chance to do weight lifting... I almost , in fact, was late for work.  my program really had a bad setback when I lost control of my mornings and I was getting alot of exercise in the morning.

Life (and our own actions, occasionally) will continue to throw wrenches into our plans.  One off morning, one slip up, does not necessitate failure.  Consistency over time is where the journey finds its success!  Keep up the grind.  B)

• Like 3

Hey @TGP! Skidding in just in time to follow your challenge!

giphy.gif 

Hoping for better mornings in your near future and I'm excited to follow your progress! Your goals look good!

• Like 1

wow, just about Everyone has updated since the beginning of the weekend.

so WELCOME to a new week!  its 1am here on MOnday- so technically my work week had begun! ha

a couple positive things to report about the weekend.

but lets first do the accountability.

I am in the MINI; and my first (zero) task was to get 7 hours rest.  No chance that I did that!  I don't know EXACTLY how much average sleep I had; but on (wed? tues??)  I had a bout of insomnia and stayed up and up.  and Not like tonight- (where I had a headache and got a big bout of early rest at 6pm)....

so I THINK i'm not quite caught up on sleep.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3tHNz4pQ8CQJY4cumxAJ

as PART Of the Brutal challenge; I was going to get back to weight lifting.  and Saturday morning I had the chance to do that!  yay!

still prolly too much machine(s), truth be told I kind of forgot some of the main powerlifting moves (or at least their form)... so I thought it was safer to stick to dumbbell/machine lifts; with the exception of deadlift (which I love).

weight-lifting-fail-sucks-weight-lifting

I hunted down my notes yesterday; Sooo....  I'll be happy to get some barbell work Next time I weight lift.   Just don't ask me to benchpress with barbells!  I got trapped by em' once when I was a n00b and as spotting is Not an option- I'd prefer to get the same exercise using the dumbbells.

anyways; I posted the Numbs at Brutal even if, NEXT time... when I get a chance to do more barbell work, that will be more relevant for these 1rep max calculations

Had a Beautiful Walk with my Son on Saturday afternoon!  wow!  what incredibly beautiful weather we had!  nice and warm;  very uncommonly warm for mid January.  by the looks of it, you would guess a warm, suggestive day in March with the maple syrup dripping.... but no!

its still January and there's no maple syrup.  just a very, very pleasant day to hike in the woods.

nature-trail-passing-pine-forest-spring-

Alas. I got no pictures.

and frankly I'm a little dissapointed!  early spring Isn't the most photogenic time of the year... but can't we do a little better than this?

I guess not.

and maybe, the 'beauty' of early spring is more a thing of the mind.  perhaps , appreciation, that its not Bitter cold!?  and who knows.  maybe BITTER cold and very snowy- is prettier.  Give me "early spring" any ole day of the winter.  MUCH more pleasant to walk.

also, a record for my son.  6.85miles (11km)....  its his longest hike!  we did All the trails back to back in a nearby state park.  rather nice, pleasant trails without the mud and steep terrain I did last week.  (I THINK I told you guys about it?  he absolutely HATED that hike)....  so a good experience with my son.

and a little chance to think of my 100mile hiking challenge.

thought a little of my A100 Hiking Challenge too! (edit: 2am in the Morning is a crazy time for me to write anything)...   its not too early- its such a big challenge.  I'll try to get in another hike this week. it'll have to be after dark though...

this is the downside of winter!  short days!!  

There, your updated!

thank you again for following.  I appreciate that!  I'll try to return the favor.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Just don't ask me to benchpress with barbells!  I got trapped by em' once when I was a n00b and as spotting is Not an option- I'd prefer to get the same exercise using the dumbbells.

The other option is to use a rack with spotting bars for the bench press but that may or may not be available. Bench Press is scary and dangerous so I understand your reticence and unless you are intending on competing with powerlifting it doesn't matter that much. 

• Like 2

well, I've spent the last couple days getting more passionate about, and planning for,

my 100 mile Walk.

the 100 is a BIG adventure areally, really big deal for me.  and last year, I came up short.   the Rain came, I got wet & cold- and I bailed.  mile 79?  something like that

SO

I found something interesting.  I went back through old notes and though I iremember lots of training- I only had 5 long walks (longer than 5 hours)

wow! thats NOT enough.  I also think I procrastinated a little on gearing up for the big hike!  my notes say that I walked intensely five week; from early April to the second week of May.

Not good enough!

we are 22 weeks from the Event

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTeiXcVZle_9Mfhan8x-iF

I want to broaden the most intense part of my program to 10 weeks

fromo March 1 (start of week 14) to May 9 (Week 5! we need to be winding down by then)...

this means Hiking IN the RAIN

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTY5BPWqkSdX27YAGuo5B6

this means Hiking in the COLD

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSQ172VWeT6kzBVhKwB4M8

and just generally getting in the right mindset.

------------------------

so, here's some things I intend to do to make it work.  

• First, I need to take Days off to Hike..  I want to take days off to hike on weeks 5,6,9,12,(15,17- half days) and 20.  thats 6 days and 5 long hikes
  • I need to also do more with my weekends... again weekends between week 14-week 5 are the focus!  I should be getting 6-10 hikes several of those weekends.   I did just 2 of those last year.  Good! but Not enough...
  •  really think I should TRY very hard to do a 50 mile Hike in late april, early may.  the MOST intense part of my program and a chance to test out all my prep
  • I Need to work on being RAIN-PROOF and PACK-PROOF.  both difficulties/discomfort with my pack and Getting wet in the rain was a BIG part of last years Fail
  • Lastly, I need to MAKE SURE I am doing stuff NOW!  

lets describe that

• two hikes a Week- and these should be solid 2hr+ hikes.  the point is that if we use 8 weeks of Good 2 hour hikes, my conditioning should be much better
  • I need to carry the pack on these walks and put some real weight on my pack. Rucking!
  • I need to work on getting the gear to Beat the rain and better survive the walk.  my shoes are fine. camp equip is fine.  the walk demands a Ultralight approach; so its not so much Camping
  • What I need is Clothes, and water  proofing.  stuff like gators, rain pants and def and upgrade on the rain coat.  I've got a little money from christmas.  I'll google it around.

today is a snow kind of day.  I have Hopes to hike tonight!  I'm now motivated for it.  Pretty sure saturday morning is free, too.   exercise goes like this

Today (Wed);  Night Hike- 10 miles for the distance feat

Thurs.  Climbing wall

Friday.  Weight Lifting.  I will TRY to put it in the morning.  I hope I can do it!  I've had a lot of problems with my morning.  if not; I will do it in the evening.

Saturday.  Morning Hike.  

so there!  quite a lot of exercise!  its good. I feel that my exercise program is getting back to where it should be.  and Hopefully I can expand and intensify hiking so I can make it ALL the way to 100 this year.

https://coolofthewild.com/pursuits/how-to-train-for-hiking

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, TGP said:

I found something interesting.  I went back through old notes and though I iremember lots of training- I only had 5 long walks (longer than 5 hours)

wow! thats NOT enough.  I also think I procrastinated a little on gearing up for the big hike!  my notes say that I walked intensely five week; from early April to the second week of May.

Not good enough!

I guess if nothing else, being able to look back on your attempts and say "OH hey, this wasn't good enough, let's try this!" to make it better next time is worthwhile information!!

I too prefer springtime hiking.... although there is something serene about the "bitter" cold, but I'd like to stay outside for more than an hour without my face freezing off!!  We will prevail...

• Like 2

@shaar

if your desperate, grab a ski mask....

just stay away from the bank.  "really officer, all I was doing was keeping the chill off my face...."! lol

------

anyways.  this is EXACTLY how I'm looking at past efforts.  no guilt trips- I was conditioned enough!  my dad confirms this

but this year; i'd do better to embrace the bad weather of early spring ; ensuring that rough weather doesn't stop the walk (gear-wise) while being all that more conditioned for the long hike

it may strike people as EARLY to muse about this.  but take it from me.  Time is an interesting thing-- sometimes the weeks melt like minutes.  espacially with something like the A100... its a strange mixture of anticipation, excitement and even a little dread.  time can go very quickly!

---

tonight will be a good stiff winter hike.  I hope I can go.  the snow was supposed to be here already but every time I check the weather guy is like Heavy Snow in 6 hours!  they've been saying that for awhile.

Either the snow unexpectedly dumps on me in the middle of a walk tonight OR it never comes- if I chicken out.

----

in the next  couple days I think I going to buy some clothing.  Dad says I can borrow some rain gear to see if I like it.  he's has mixed feelings about rain gear.  its really pretty tricky to deal with sweat.

• Like 3

Has that been a year already? I remember last year when you wrote about it and thinking that 100 miles was way above my level! Especially in the rain like that. I'm super impressed that you made it 79 miles, and even more impressed that you're going for it again! 

almost exactly 21 weeks to the big walk

some might question my sanity.  I mean I'm pretty sure I had hypothermia during that walk.  but to my head this just means I need to make less mistakes.

as for the thought of it being above your (or anyone's really)ability

all I have to say is that when I did the fifty mile walk the FIRST time (2011); I was certainly NOT prepared.  I totally did not train nearly hard enough!

but... what I did appreciate from that walk (and others) is 

that YOU CAN DO SO MUCH MORE than you think you can!  yes it may be unpleasant. things might get really uncomfortable or even HURT.  BUT WITH GREAT COMMITMENT comes achievement Beyond what you think is possible.

I am confident that many, many people COULD walk at least 50miles in one calendar day; so long as they trained long enough to avoid health problems and iron out gear issues (like blisters)

anyways this Insight this feeling is nearly the whole of my motivation to do the walk.

• Like 4

well lets look back and see how we did

WEEK 1.  (Friday- Thursday 1/10) .  week22 before the a100.

mini-Challenge

On 1/7/2019 at 1:51 AM, TGP said:

as far as the distance goes; can I stretch?

can I get 10 MILES of a proper In-the-woods hike this week?  thats a lot of night hiking!  challenge accepted

as for the social quest.  I'm going to go with the flow (for now). TBD. I'll think of something good in the next couple days! I promise.

As I've said reported I got the 10mile WALK in a dark and snowy night on Wednesday.  but was it a "proper in-the-woods hike?"  NO!

I deliberately bailed on that as I had concerns in the heavy snow it would be too easy to get lost, confused, or generally epically challenged and thus home way to late.  I would Point OUT that 10miles on a trail is a pretty seriously LONG ways Espacially with snow on the ground!

I suppose I could have done it, still. but I refuse to feel bad about being real with that walk.  Even on asphalt on a road that sees SOME 24/7 traffic the walk was epic enough.  and still I took 3 hours 30minutes to get the mileage in.

75% Done

this honestly is set so late, that really I will to extend it to other weeks.

Indeterminate and Ongoing

CHALLENGE OF THE WEEK

21 hours ago, TGP said:

I never properly set my goals or my challenge... but its actually rather simple (and MORE simple than last challenge)

1)  Exercise every OTHER day.   

2)  Chess study every OTHER day.

3)  have an early Morning every OTHER day.

4) piano practice 3 x a week

5)  Maintain my current habits completely  

*3 nights of chess gaming (1-3 chess games) with brief analysis afterwards

*3 episodes of chess tactic

*1 long hike a week

*1 hour of climbing a week

* do something each monday at the YMCA

these were the goals.  Lets drill down to see how I did...

#1.  I exercised Satuday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.

CHECK!  definitely a good week.  Nice high number for the amt of hours too...  nearly 11 hours of exercise this week

#2.  Chess study. ha!  much less here though. 

FAIL!  On One of the days of the week I studied deeply a losing game,  but far far from convinced I did any better than that.

#3 Mornings have also been absolutely awful. 

FAIL! I almost got up this morning (early), but I didn't.  there's no good habit here to build from YET.  keep working On it!!

#4  Piano Study.  

FAIL!  add to that another big fail with no good habits to build from.  YIKES

clearly 2-4 represent GOOD HABITS I want and need and Am.NOT.DOING.WELL with.  I can do this.  each of these were picked because at some point in recent time I was able to do each of them.  

#5.1  Chess gaming. 4 nights. YEP

#5.2 Chess tactics.  2nights.  NOT Quite good enough

#5.3  Long walks.  2 nights.  EXCEEDED

#5.4  Climbing.  1night.  YEP

#5.5  YMCA.  YPE. that would be Weight Lifting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I WANT to maintain all my goals as written, save for 5.5.  which shall read:  I want to Weight Lift, twice a week, one of which is on Monday at the YMCA.

BONUS if I can fix a morning to get to the Lifting....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IOW the GOOD NEWS...

RvHEsgu.png

the BAD NEWs.  I STILL LACK GOOD HABITS that would make me healthier, and happier.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Hey ! How do you stop getting blisters on long walks?xx

ah, yes.

I could Write a book about blisters!  

but you , I think, a little new to hiking so I'll keep it SIMPLE.  Generally its Gear and getting use to the gear you need to hike.

GENERALLY

!.  You want Good Hiking Boots when hiking on a trail and not cheap sneakers.  Start there, but don't stop reading cause they are other reasons

2,.  For a beginner the BIGGEST reason people have blisters is that they grab new hiking boots and Walk too far in them right away.  the BOOT has to adapt to your foot and when it does it stops rubbing.

3.  You need to use the right amount of socks to prevent rubbing and dry off moisture!

4.  YOU need to KEEP YOUR feet dry, as MUCH as possible.  even very toughened hikers will quickly succomb to blisters if the foot gets wet and does the mile.  this is where a change in socks is invaluable

5  Another really important thing is to TREAT "HOT SPOTS" quickly BEFORE They become blisters.  use a product called "moleskin' its absolute gold when your having these kinds of problems

6.  Wear HIKING socks that are thicker and NOT cotton!  cotton is evil for hiking.  cotton socks can absorb water and dramatically increase your chances of blisters.   a good English fabric, WOOL is considered an excellent material for hiking socks.  (though synthetic fabrics also do the job).

Lastly I would say that some people have more or less problems with blisters.  Indeed I've known great hikers that are quite susceptible to them.  they have to be incredibly vigilent to get the mileage even with premium equipment and lots of experience.  

I've always been a little luckier than most and do not Generally get blisters.

IMHO. most Hikers that put in the mileage get callous's and toughed skin on their feet and move beyond lots of blister problems.

if You're struggling with them some, than Probably your at the beginning of learning how to defeat them.

Good equipment, patience, persistence and learning how to recognize hots spots and deal with them are key.

by the way,   what kind of paths/trails do people weak on in the Lake/Peak district that you go to.  lots of mud? lots of rock?  what about stream crossings?? :curious

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks! I did a ten mile walk last summer and for the last hour and a half was in absolute agony with blisters :( ruined the day for me....!

Path and trails vary i guess but my common hike in the Peaks is lots of rock, muddy or dusty track (depending on the weather) some woodland too. But mainly uneven rocky paths x

1 minute ago, TGP said:

shoes-

hiking shoes?or sneakers??

did your feet get wet??

Hiking boots. 

A little bit, puddles. Sweat more likely than streams though x

fair enough.  I still think the biggest problem is that you haven't gotten your feet adapted to the boots

the best way to do this is days BEFORE you hike , wear them on errands and shopping.  Heading to the supermarket?  grab the boots!

if you can WALK to the supermarket. that's DOUBLE points right there, as you "breaking in your boots" AND getting  more daily exercise.

the more time spent in your boots the better.  and PAY attention to your socks.  wear ENOUGH so that your feet doesn't feel like its slipping within your boots.  

----

other than that and my previous advice

Mileage matters.  hike More and More... NOT huge walks at first.  but not a hike only once in months or seasons.

ha!  too long winded!! sorry!

latest?cb=20160606100125

so sorry!  hopefully my advice clicks a little.  most beginners have blisters on their first frew big walks.   There's nothing Like being a scout LEADER on a lonig hike where nearly ALL the kids have blisters. (which I've done)

• Like 3

Breaking in is important for any type of shoe (from heels to work boots) really, so that's just generally good advice all year round. From experience I'd say half an hour of walking in them every day for 5 days leads to a broken in shoe.

• Like 2

Winnie the Pooh, Alice and Wonderland AND some great goals.  I'm happy to hear that you are going to do the A100 this year again.  

• Like 2

I think all your planning looks very solid and I'm so eager to watch your progress! I totally get it on trying to establish good habits and having some hiccups getting started - I'm right with you. But we still have three weeks to go in this challenge - plenty of time to get things rolling!!

• Like 2

On 1/9/2019 at 8:48 PM, TGP said:

but this year; i'd do better to embrace the bad weather of early spring ; ensuring that rough weather doesn't stop the walk (gear-wise) while being all that more conditioned for the long hike

I remember you mentioning your not enough long walks last time! You guys really have a totally different situation w.r.t. training and weather. We are taking a lot for granted, because winter is, in my opinion, the best time to train here as it is a lot cooler than summer, more manageable. The weather and situation differences are just hitting me at the moment.

20 hours ago, TGP said:

There's nothing Like being a scout LEADER on a lonig hike where nearly ALL the kids have blisters. (which I've done)

Hike leader of a group of kids: been there, done that too. Yikes, not again.

• Like 1

*quietly taking many notes on the virtue of hiking boots and socks*  This is all AWESOME ADVICE FWIW!!!!!!!

• Like 3

I'll check out that book suggestion Kestrel, Ty!

so it seemed like many people had a good weekend.  me and my son had another hiking adventure and I'm just bursting to share it!

googling around the net the other day I noticed a few good skiing trails nearby.  There was only a light coating of snow on the ground this weekend, and I thought that it might be interesting to explore that trail.  Perhaps with just a little snow; that the trail would offer excellent hiking.  (and pretty close to home too!)

well, folks I found the World's WORST skiing trail!

to start with the trail head was somewhere on a closed campground.  the only signs I found were urging us to 'Register as visitors' and to feel free to 'visit the convenient camping store'.

all of that, ofc, was Closed for the season.

so where in the Heck does the skiing trail Actually begin? Ha!  never did find that out.  walking around we found a blue blaze and went with it, following this dirt road nearly strait up the hill.  deeply rutted, I thought, WOW- people actually ski on this?  I suppose it should have alarmed us more that there was no blazes.

cuz about a mile up the road Just stops along an oil well.  thats fairly common in national forest; but a clear unmistaken sign that we Weren't on the ski trail.  (shucks!)

well I didn't want turn back and I sure wasn't going to climb down the steep bank; so we went into the woods; GPS-ON, fearlessly trekkin though the brush.

Now I don't mind that SO much if there wasn't so much brush.   Open woods can be rather pleasant to walk in.  But the way it works in the national forest is that wide swathes of the forest are selectively cut for the biggest trees.  these areas can contain confusing difficult roads , so when in your in that country and you don't want to get turned around.  you ignore the roads. and you get the JOy of walking in heavy, unceasing little saplings!  beech, specifically.

anyways this was NO fun.  I had my GPS with a cursor at the top of the valley so we had no risk of being lost; but it was slow and weary work.  and by the time I got to the ACTUAL ski trail- we've had quite enough of rough terrain, saplings, and difficult walking.

we stumble into a path and nearly do a dance of joy to see an actual blue blaze indicating the actual trail!  yay!  our joy was short lived, though, as it plunged down the hill into "yep, you guessed it", heavy thickets/brush.  apparently no one has been keeping the brush, and briars at bay and it nearly squeezes the trail into nothing (you've seen harry potter- the triwizard tournament, no?)....  by the END of the hill we were really, REALLY, tired of the thickets and rewarded by another blue blaze.  

then the trail gets worse.

as it makes a turns and slightly meanders downstream.  it gets Muddy and Wet.  except its been in the 20's for a couple days.  we're having to carefully creep along the road; to skirt frozen puddles and bubbling springs (ringed with ice).   I'm really proud of my son at this moment; if you remember, a couple hikes ago he had a big panic attack dealing with streams and mud.  and here he is, obviously anxious but walking carefully and following me like a duckling as I do my best to walk around the water/ice hazards around us.

most of the way down, my notes say a more major road is just a little ways down the valley and might offer a better trail to the car.  and being on such a terrible trail we risk it.  we have to careful step through a small stream (wet feet sucks!) and deal with more mud and Eureka! there is its.  it actually crosses a pretty big stream with a bridge and I think. Wow! I'm so glad I found you.

but it wasn't to be. 

it gets to an even bigger stream and There, collapsed into a pool of deep water we see the remains of a bridge.  so.Dissapointing!

its so late in the day for that !  but late or no, we have to recross the streams and get back to that awful ski trail.   The sun is rapidly dissapearing into the hill and I am staring at my GPS when I am not delicately plotting paths around puddles, streams, and newly frozen mud.  we get to another collapsed bridge, but fortunately this is over quite a little stream.  This is Where I utterly decide that this is the WORST ski trail of the world.  back again at the campground.  no signs of a "trailhead"....  a good long 3.5 mile on some very sketchy paths and perhaps only 4 blazes.  Never saw such a dilapidated trail!

Boy does THIS trail needs a LOT of love.  Well, it won't get it anytime soon.  Trail work in the Alleghany National forest ofc has been suspended in the shutdown.   

----------------------------

sorry for such a long account.  I wanted the writeup to vaguely reflect how tedious this walk turned out to be.

it was only 5.5 miles (2.5 hours).  but all the rough terrain makes a walk like that feel like forever!  Have a good week my friends and keep in touch.

• Like 6