• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter and the Swamp Creatures

1 hour ago, zenLara said:

She's awesome!

I thought a training place for parkour would be more padded? (asking from complete ignorance). All those edges were making me nervous.

I don't think they usually are. Indoor parkour is really to prepare you for outdoor training, but outside you don't get padding, you have to adapt and make sure that everything is safe yourself. Having padding everywhere can lead to bad habits that will make outdoor training unsafe. I suspect it's different if you're doing flips and tricks or just something new with higher risk, then I'd expect them to bring in mats. But otherwise the training is based around working within your own ability and confidence level and make your own decisions about safety. For each movement there are many options where to perform it, for example you can balance on a 30 cm high rail or a 2.5 m rail! You pick the one where you feel safe and once you're confident about that you can try it on the more difficult obstacles. :) But yes, it does make me nervous. :D Baby steps!

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Indoor parkour is really to prepare you for outdoor training, but outside you don't get padding, you have to adapt and make sure that everything is safe yourself. Having padding everywhere can lead to bad habits that will make outdoor training unsafe.

Makes total sense. It's just that it feels challenging.

8 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I'd want all the padding, but I get why it doesn't have it.  It sounds so fun though

It is so fun! You'd like it! :) 

6 minutes ago, zenLara said:

Makes total sense. It's just that it feels challenging.

That's the whole point. :D I feel like half of parkour is the mental battle, and I get the impression that feeling never goes away.

• Like 2

Climbing was good today! I considered being lazy and staying at home, because snow and effort and long way away, but then a friend messaged me that he was picking me up in 20 minutes so I didn't get a choice. :P 

I'm happy I went, we went to this other nice, but very small gym, where they hide the grades which I rather like. I've now realised how easy is to get sucked into the grades, even subconsciously, so I'm loving this current beginner not caring attitude. I climbed a bunch of stuff, including a slab that my friend didn't think I could do, so that made me happy. ;) The only climb that I didn't feel comfortable trying was a slightly overhanging climb with pinches and lock offs and I just didn't feel I was strong enough to control the movement to make it safe for my elbow. Maybe it was a cop out and it was just too hard for me, or I didn't try hard enough, but honestly I don't care.

Now when I'm not climbing as often I've instead started to experiment with setting small intentions to make my climbing session more productive. Last time it was to work on overhanging/more powerful moves, this time it was initiating movement from my legs. I even remembered a few times. :P 

Friday's positive actions

• Meditated
  • Made the very adult and responsible decision to respect my cold symptoms and take it easy. Annoyingly enough it worked and I'm fine today. ;) 
  • Cooked tasty food
  • Resisted slipping into old default eating habit
  • Caught up on the forums
  • Made flat more or less guest friendly the day before the brunch that didn't happen. At least my flat's still tidy.

Today's positive actions

• Meditated - I don't know why but it felt super weird today. Not bad, but weird.
  • A few mini pole flows throughout the day
  • A few handstands - only one balanced... So about this thing called consistency...
  • Climbing with intention

Current stats

• Eat 5/7
  • Sleep 1/5 Not really trying
  • Move 4/7
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Here's a little snippet, mainly to show what our gym looks like. It's small but I really like the way it looks with the reddish wood. :) 

How has nobody commented on the face in the box at the end? :D  Had to watch it twice to make sure it actually was a face there, but yeah, someone is hiding in that box!

13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Now when I'm not climbing as often I've instead started to experiment with setting small intentions to make my climbing session more productive. Last time it was to work on overhanging/more powerful moves, this time it was initiating movement from my legs. I even remembered a few times. :P 

Smart.

17 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Friday's positive actions

• Meditated
  • Made the very adult and responsible decision to respect my cold symptoms and take it easy. Annoyingly enough it worked and I'm fine today. ;) 
  • Cooked tasty food
  • Resisted slipping into old default eating habit
  • Caught up on the forums
  • Made flat more or less guest friendly the day before the brunch that didn't happen. At least my flat's still tidy.

So adult! It's crazy!

@Tobbenow find one that's all women? crazy upper body strength feats in there, pff. 

16 hours ago, Tobbe said:

How has nobody commented on the face in the box at the end? :D  Had to watch it twice to make sure it actually was a face there, but yeah, someone is hiding in that box!

Yep that's parkour people for you! :D 

14 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Old video that just popped up for me on facebook

Very, very cool, but 99% of that isn't climbing. ;)

5 hours ago, zenLara said:

Smart.

Trying to be. ;) Also I really want to prove to myself and to the others that it's possible to get better at climbing without killing yourself. I have NO Idea if it's going to work or not haha. But it would be sweet! Though even if I could just get back to my (not very high) peak level this year that would be cool too.

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

So adult! It's crazy!

@Tobbenow find one that's all women? crazy upper body strength feats in there, pff. 

Even if it's much adult I'm still going to be childish and grumble about it. :D 

Ok not all women, but I watched the BIFF (aka the most ridiculous climbing comp) final this morning and these people are unbelievably impressive.

• Like 3

Lazy, lazy Sunday. :) It was actually really nice to read and catch up on life, but next week I don't want to laze away ALL my free time like this week.

Today's positive actions

• Meditated
  • Baked biscuits for breakfast
  • Walked on ice and didn't die! Though I did get a little fright when I saw a big puddle next to me. It was just a hotspot next to a rock which made the top layer thaw, but still.
  • Mini freestyle low pole flow
  • Cleaned manky fridge! And took out recycling
  • A few handstands, not a real workout but a few kick ups trying to keep my legs really straight

This song is not what I usually listen to but found it really nice for swishing and rolling around on the floor to. :) 

• Like 3

It was sooo bright outside today. This is all ice. So pretty and sparkly!

6Y3m4-ggVeF68nmOW-t1jMN7c0KO4OD7oPQ6tipY

jSt1N19ucQVF8093Iw-8xqmmn4ngydc1kGtkPdiF

L88ApbdkbjyukxsTzreONy7dWvOX37knnESjegPm

Only a week ago it looked like this, the water was this thick, rather mesmerising, ice slurry. 

yR6-U_mJLXAF3Q7tIwbZlqi9E_Mbrg5DHuUHpL8u

nSvILNeofWo_jFzZ6YM3wSQDMGojIlYKkLti0PWQ

• Like 10

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Lazy, lazy Sunday. :) It was actually really nice to read and catch up on life, but next week I don't want to laze away ALL my free time like this week.

Some days you need the rest!

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Baked biscuits for breakfast

Important question - the biscuits I'm picturing, or British meaning of the same word?

Also re: self-care, I was talking with some nerd, but I forget who, about how there are two different types of self-care - palliative stuff like bubble baths that helps you get down from an anxious bit, and then the type that makes the problems go away because they're dealt with (I dunno if we got the framework from somewhere or just landed on it). But sounds like we're of the same mind when talking about self-care!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Winter can be so pretty :wub:

<3

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

That's a lot of ice. And so bright. Hopefully you absorbed enough brightness to help you out with the dark, short days!

Yeah it's so cool! (pun not intended)

Now when there's a lot of snow the darkness is not so bad. And the amount of sunlight we get noticeably increases from week to week. About a month ago we got 6 hours and now it's 8 which means it's not completely black by the time I leave work. :P 

1 hour ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Some days you need the rest!

Important question - the biscuits I'm picturing, or British meaning of the same word?

Also re: self-care, I was talking with some nerd, but I forget who, about how there are two different types of self-care - palliative stuff like bubble baths that helps you get down from an anxious bit, and then the type that makes the problems go away because they're dealt with (I dunno if we got the framework from somewhere or just landed on it). But sounds like we're of the same mind when talking about self-care!

Sure, but yesterday was not one of those days. :P And my brain doesn't need all that rest. 

Yep. The second kind of self care is not particularly fun, but it's so much more effective on many levels.

• Like 2

Oh another positive action - me talking so much about parkour at work that one of my colleagues signed up!!! :lol: I just wish we had class together, but logistics...

• Like 8

That gym looks pretty big for a parkour gym to me! But maybe I'm just used to tiny Boston spaces where rent is so high no one ever gets a big gym anymore. :P I like the red wood too and your instructor seems badass. 

Omg winterrrr wonderland. We got super cold snaps here but then it got really warm and everything melted? And now it just looks lame outside. 

What a nice Sunday. AND climbing session. Setting an intention is some smart thinking~! 

15 minutes ago, raptron said:

That gym looks pretty big for a parkour gym to me! But maybe I'm just used to tiny Boston spaces where rent is so high no one ever gets a big gym anymore. :P

:P and I thought it looked kinda compact. Because Texas...

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yep. The second kind of self care is not particularly fun, but it's so much more effective on many levels.

Yup - it's like the "eat your vegetables" of self care. And not fun, delicious veggies that you've cooked exactly the way you like, but like poorly cooked and seasoned cafeteria veggies.

2 hours ago, raptron said:

That gym looks pretty big for a parkour gym to me! But maybe I'm just used to tiny Boston spaces where rent is so high no one ever gets a big gym anymore. :P I like the red wood too and your instructor seems badass. 

Omg winterrrr wonderland. We got super cold snaps here but then it got really warm and everything melted? And now it just looks lame outside. 

What a nice Sunday. AND climbing session. Setting an intention is some smart thinking~! 

No it really is pretty small. :) But it works juuust fine for me and it forces small class sizes.

Boo. That's just the worst of everything.

Yeah!

2 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

:P and I thought it looked kinda compact. Because Texas...

Yup - it's like the "eat your vegetables" of self care. And not fun, delicious veggies that you've cooked exactly the way you like, but like poorly cooked and seasoned cafeteria veggies.

I sometimes can't get over how everything is so oversized in 'Murica. Not everywhere, but in many places.

Aww that just gave me a flashback to the time when I was in Argentina and we ordered a side of vegetables for our main. And got served a WHOLE BIG FAT BOILED CARROT. *shudder*

Ohhhh and so sorry I forgot to answer your very important question! An American biscuit! Because breakfast. I don't particularly fancy (British) biscuits for breakfast. Biscuits go with tea but coffee goes with breakfast you see, ergo no biscuits for breakfast. Also I thought it'd be less confusing than saying scone (well technically not quite a biscuit) because American scones are weird. And now I'm just making things worse. :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Those sceneries are stunning!!! But I want to know most where the clips of the pole flows are?? Wanna see those pretty please

Your smart adult game is getting ever more shiny in strength default_smile.png

I really like your climbing approach

PARKOUR HYPE! :D 

Getting there ended up quite the mission, the bus didn't show up so I decided to give up and walk. It's not a very long walk, only 15-20 min on normal day, but it had been snowing aaaaall day so I was trundling along on unploughed roads, stressed because I was running late and decided to take a "short cut" through deep piles of snow, which turned out not so helpful. Then at some point my phone fell in the snow and I only noticed because my bluetooth headphones started to glitch. So I had to trundle back and LUCKILY the guy behind me had found it just 50 m behind me. Otherwise it probably would've been lost in the snow forever! I get there maybe 10 minutes late, but fortunately the walk ended up being quite the warm up hahaha, I was boiling by the time I got there. Trying to walk/jog/high knee through snow is not easy guys. 

Anyway, I got there, and NOBODY else was there except for the teacher. So I got myself a nice little private lesson and she got to do some training. :D Sweet deal!

We started off by practicing getting up onto rails like we did last time, and one side is getting pretty smooth now! The other is still a disaster, and I can't figure out why. Then we practiced jumping onto ledges and rails like last time. The rails still feel sketchy to me, but maybe it's because I don't quite have the balance. 

After that we worked on pop vaults which was really fun, but I have issues bringing both of my feet up and through, instead I just trail one leg behind me and rely on flexibility for the final bit.

We also worked on a twirly little "jazz parkour" move haha, where you run up/jump up onto a slanted wall, do a little twirly half spin and jump off. :) It was very cute and fun.

Then we put these things together (plus another simple spinny fun vault where you initiate a rotation, sit up onto the obstacle, keep rotating while you bring your legs over and then come back down on the other side), into a short line and worked on that for a bit. It was good because it wasn't a lot to remember and the techniques were not too scary. :P These flowy moves are also plain fun.

What else, oh then we spent quite a bit working on precision jumps. Starting with easy jumps, then finding challenges that would either be more scary or more technical to up the difficulty. I feel like I struggle with finding good level challenges, there are so many options and all I can see is too easy or impossible. Guess it takes a bit of experience to get an eye for it. My teacher got me to do a silly/awkward one from a small block to the inside ledge of a big cube box thing! She fits quite easily because she's tiny but I had to jump and turn my entire body sideways and land super low. So awkward! She also made me get up onto one of the rails and jump from that onto a narrow ledge, both about waist height. That was both scary and technical, but I made it! Super happy about that. Not a big jump, but last time I could barely get up onto a rail and today I could stand up and jump from it. Progress!

A few hangs as a cool down, and lots of chatting in between. :) Oh and I asked her to take a look at my jumping and she said that the basics are fine, it's more about simply doing more jumps, always work on landings to keep them safe and I guess things will get better with time as I get more used to the movement.

• Like 8

Today's positive actions

• Meditated
  • Parkour!
  • Took a learning day at work instead of procrastinating a bunch
  • Rejoined the pull-ups training at work. But only starting with prep work for now, my entire body weight is still a big load for the elbow. Also my shoulders don't feel like they're activating quite right, especially at the top of the pull-up. So I only did scap pulls and bent arm hangs for now.
  • Experimented with leg work at home in the morning while waiting for the work gym. :) Just some goblet squats, Bulgarian split squats and cossack/deck squats with a wee 8 kg kettlebell. It's all I have at home, but I only really used it to feel an external weight. It was mostly experimenting with form and checking stability etc. 

Current stats

• Eat 1/7
  • Sleep 1/5
  • Move 1/7
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Those sceneries are stunning!!! But I want to know most where the clips of the pole fliws are?? Wanna see those pretty please

Your smart adult game is getting ever more shiny in strength :)
I really like your climbing approach

Ummmmm, I haven't really filmed any pole flows, I don't particularly want to watch myself. :D I love doing it but I have zero technique and it's all super messy and I get stuck all the time haha. Maybe at some point. :P 

Thanks, trying hard!

Just now, lucky fire dragon said:

Woot on progress and yay on what sounds like an awesome session

Geez it's dangerous walking in Finnland this time of year. Well done

Thanks! These classes make me so happy!

Haha I wouldn't call it dangerous. :P But effort before the snow ploughs come in. I did however take the opportunity to jump around in a pristine knee deep pile of snow on my way back. :D 

• Like 1