• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter and the Swamp Creatures

Dangerous for phones anyhow

Fancy a tiny pole pvp again at some stage? I haven't yet dared go at it again among all the other "suck it up" things and have a suspicion that it could run better and more fun than expected (I know this contradicts itself now because with ghat I am twisted the expectation ...) anyhow knowing you are playing on it helps default_smile.png

That Parkour class sounds excellent! And that eye skill you're talking about definitely sounds like a learned mastery sort of thing - your teacher probably has that eye for it from all the parkour-ing she's done plus everything she's taught to different levels of students.

Also, totally thinking of the Office's parkour episode/sketch every time we talk about it:

giphy.gif

And yes, everything in Texas can lean towards oversized - especially the number of people who drive around heavy-duty trucks and SUV's to get between suburban homes and suburban errands, with approximately 0 heavy-duty anything being done. Not that I have a bone to pick or anything. :P Also, let's not forget that closet from my thread! :lol:

Really wish I could take that parkour class with you! 

Loved the pictures of the winter wonderland, I hope we get a little bit of snow here. 

Great parkour video - one thing that I notice is that the moves she does don't look hard. There are plenty of difficult moves in there, but she does them with such good control and form that they look much easier than they actually are! If I compare to my own sporty pursuits, I think it's really obvious what moves are difficult for me...

On 1/26/2019 at 2:26 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Now when I'm not climbing as often I've instead started to experiment with setting small intentions to make my climbing session more productive. Last time it was to work on overhanging/more powerful moves, this time it was initiating movement from my legs. I even remembered a few times. :P 

Great application of gamification there - setting a goal that's both more useful and easier to achieve than "be better than any other climbing session in my life", which is always my default!

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ohhhh and so sorry I forgot to answer your very important question! An American biscuit! Because breakfast. I don't particularly fancy (British) biscuits for breakfast. Biscuits go with tea but coffee goes with breakfast you see, ergo no biscuits for breakfast. Also I thought it'd be less confusing than saying scone (well technically not quite a biscuit) because American scones are weird. And now I'm just making things worse. :P 

I was so confused when an Indianan friend told me she liked "biscuits and gravy"! In Britain that means cookies with meat sauce :o

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Dangerous for phones anyhow emoji14.png

Fancy a tiny pole pvp again at some stage? I haven't yet dared go at it again among all the other "suck it up" things and have a suspicion that it could run better and more fun than expected (I know this contradicts itself now because with ghat I am twisted the expectation ...) anyhow knowing you are playing on it helps default_smile.png

:D Or it might have had something to do with that I halfway ripped up my coat pocket. ;) 

YES!!! I really want to get back to pole too. Only thing is that I have ZERO grip at the moment, everything is too dry. So as long as we can take that into account I'm game!

14 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Your parkour gym sounds like SO MUCH FUN. It's just playtime for grownups, huh?

It really is! I love it so much.

13 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

That Parkour class sounds excellent! And that eye skill you're talking about definitely sounds like a learned mastery sort of thing - your teacher probably has that eye for it from all the parkour-ing she's done plus everything she's taught to different levels of students.

Also, totally thinking of the Office's parkour episode/sketch every time we talk about it:

giphy.gif

And yes, everything in Texas can lean towards oversized - especially the number of people who drive around heavy-duty trucks and SUV's to get between suburban homes and suburban errands, with approximately 0 heavy-duty anything being done. Not that I have a bone to pick or anything. :P Also, let's not forget that closet from my thread! :lol:

Absolutely. I think it's an important skill to develop if you want to do it safely in more risky environments too.

:D 

13 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Really wish I could take that parkour class with you! 

Loved the pictures of the winter wonderland, I hope we get a little bit of snow here. 

Meeee toooo! I'll do my best to make it to your workshop thingy!

13 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Great parkour video - one thing that I notice is that the moves she does don't look hard. There are plenty of difficult moves in there, but she does them with such good control and form that they look much easier than they actually are! If I compare to my own sporty pursuits, I think it's really obvious what moves are difficult for me...

Great application of gamification there - setting a goal that's both more useful and easier to achieve than "be better than any other climbing session in my life", which is always my default!

I was so confused when an Indianan friend told me she liked "biscuits and gravy"! In Britain that means cookies with meat sauce :o

So true. She's also been doing it for quite a while. ;) For me everything is super shaky and hesitant, hopefully one day I'll be able to flow at least a little. :) 

That's the point! I can't remember where I've heard it, it could actually have been some stupid CF video, but someone mentioned the idea that you can't really fail if you set an intention and focus on that. For example last week I set an intention on climbing more overhung and powerful climbs. I had a terrible session overall, but since I worked on the thing I set out to I didn't "fail". 

Haha. To this day I reckon that mince pies should be savoury. :P 

• Like 2

YES!!! I really want to get back to pole too. Only thing is that I have ZERO grip at the moment, everything is too dry. So as long as we can take that into account I'm game!

Cool :) Considering I have not been on the pole since... well since our last pvp I think :P and have never had any grip worth mentioning to start with, I am very okay with that condition ^_^

That's the point! I can't remember where I've heard it, it could actually have been some stupid CF video, but someone mentioned the idea that you can't really fail if you set an intention and focus on that. For example last week I set an intention on climbing more overhung and powerful climbs. I had a terrible session overall, but since I worked on the thing I set out to I didn't "fail". 

Excellent! Very smart approach! It seems to lead to much more satisfaction AND possibly even more progress along with it on the long run

11 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Cool :) Considering I have not been on the pole since... well since our last pvp I think :P and have never had any grip worth mentioning to start with, I am very okay with that condition ^_^

Awesome! :D And you've definitely had grip! I'm not talking super power grip strength, I'm just talking about daily variations. It's sooo hard for me to get the pole and myself warmed up enough and stay warm enough this time of year. And so far I haven't had much luck with grip aid when it's *that* slippery. Maybe a different coating would help for winter poling... Do you have any format in mind?

14 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Excellent! Very smart approach! It seems to lead to much more satisfaction AND possibly even more progress along with it on the long run

Time will tell! :) Feel like I have loads of little experiments on at the moment, it will be interesting to see if any of them will prove useful.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Awesome! :D And you've definitely had grip! I'm not talking super power grip strength, I'm just talking about daily variations. It's sooo hard for me to get the pole and myself warmed up enough and stay warm enough this time of year. And so far I haven't had much luck with grip aid when it's *that* slippery. Maybe a different coating would help for winter poling... Do you have any format in mind?

Similar here as my pole is in our basement and it takes forever to warm up as well. 

No idea on format yet, nope. I did like the add on game from last time that was pretty cool. We could maybe mix it up (and make it easier) by only repeating the last move the other one did and then adding a new one?

Or we do build a little flow up in bits and just include enough floor work... what's easiest on your elbow? And on my knees :P I've lost all the hold muscles...

36 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Time will tell! :) Feel like I have loads of little experiments on at the moment, it will be interesting to see if any of them will prove useful.

You really do! And it's such fun to watch you explore them. Very inspiring :) 

OMG, those pics :wub: I love when you go outside and you almost feel like the world is only made of two colours, like white & black, or white & blue. Magnificent!

19 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Anyway, I got there, and NOBODY else was there except for the teacher. So I got myself a nice little private lesson and she got to do some training. :D Sweet deal!

Ha ha that's brilliant!!! I really want to join classes too, I miss it. I learned a lot training alone but pfff. I miss the social bit. And having a teacher to trust!

2 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

No idea on format yet, nope. I did like the add on game from last time that was pretty cool. We could maybe mix it up (and make it easier) by only repeating the last move the other one did and then adding a new one?

Maybe this one? I feel like right now I'd rather work on smaller chunks and maybe try to make them nicer rather than adding a whole bunch of stuff? 

2 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

I've lost all the hold muscles...

Heh me too :P It's been well over year since I poled.

1 hour ago, @mu said:

OMG, those pics :wub: I love when you go outside and you almost feel like the world is only made of two colours, like white & black, or white & blue. Magnificent!

Me too, it's almost surreal! Especially when it's so different from what it usually looks like. <3

1 hour ago, @mu said:

Ha ha that's brilliant!!! I really want to join classes too, I miss it. I learned a lot training alone but pfff. I miss the social bit. And having a teacher to trust!

Have you checked out schools in Montpellier yet? :) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

I thought that Indianan was a typo until I got to the end of the sentence. FWIW, as a Midwesterner who now lives in the South, biscuits and gravy may be God's gift to breakfast food (and I make mine with sausage in the gravy, though I know some versions are just a white gravy with black pepper).

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

<3 this, even if it did come from some stupid CF video. Need to shamelessly steal it every time I walk into the dance studio to train.

6 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

<3 this, even if it did come from some stupid CF video.

I might have a thing for them. But only featuring female athletes. Same category as stupid dance movies. :P 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I might have a thing for them. But only featuring female athletes. 

I like this! Any favorites?

I randomly ended up following a couple really good female powerlifters and weightlifters on Instagram and don't regret it at all - they've got a cool mix of inspiring fitness stuff, sharing their fails, and random goofy dance videos. I feel like elite male athletes have way less fun on their social media.

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Same category as stupid dance movies. :P 

Things Mike should watch but never gets around to? :P

1 minute ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I like this! Any favorites?

Umm not really, I only half pay attention haha and I only watch them when they spontaneously pop up in my YT recommendations list.

1 minute ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Things Mike should watch but never gets around to? :P

Exactly! :D 

• Haha 1

wow winter is so beautiful! is that body of water fresh water or salt? 

also your parkour gym is so beautiful, and so awesome that you got a private instruction this class!

(I'm making american biscuits for dinner tonight. I have been thinking about them all day and your post basically convinced me.)

1 minute ago, karinajean said:

wow winter is so beautiful! is that body of water fresh water or salt? 

also your parkour gym is so beautiful, and so awesome that you got a private instruction this class!

(I'm making american biscuits for dinner tonight. I have been thinking about them all day and your post basically convinced me.)

It's technically a sea but the water up here is brackish. 

Yes I love it!

Most excellent choice. :) 

Bit of a fail day today. I woke up at 5, decided it was too early to get up but couldn't get any restful sleep after that. Also my bed was warm and the outside cold and it was impossible to get out of bed. Impossible I tell you! So I missed all my morning things except for meditation. 

We have another "guest" over at the office this week. Before she arrived we didn't know who she is, why she was here, or for how long she would be staying for. It's ridiculous. The worst part is, well except that I again have to give up my remote days to act as office decoration, that part of our gym stuff has FINALLY arrived and we can't even open it right now! The woman seems super frumpy with no sense of humour so we're hiding our little expansion plans from her (and by extension the rest of the company). :P 

I also missed dance class again, I'm going to skip on those for now. I got so much more excited about the pole PvP and classes are quite expensive. Especially considering the large number of students and lack of attention. Instead I signed up for an extra parkour workshop and a hand balancing workshop next month. :) There are no regular classes that week since schools have a winter break, so for a while I was sad about missing classes. Problem solved. :lol: 

Today's positive actions

• Meditated
  • Signed up for workshops

Hmm, my worst showing this challenge... I need a good sleep methinks.

Current stats

• Eat 1/7
  • Sleep 1/5
  • Move 1/7
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Have you checked out schools in Montpellier yet? :) 

The little Circus School has quite a few classes for adults/amateurs (aerial, floor acrobatics, hand balancing, flexibility, creation, and mixed stuff like juggling etc). Next registration period will be in September. Some of the classes look quite full right now, but I will see by then. They also have the occasional workshops.

I saw gymnastics schools (AG and rhythmic) but it looks more geared towards kids / teens. I haven't searched more than that.

I had a side question: does you A-frame make any noise at all or not (neighbours' complaints so far)? Do you use any rubber/foam padding under the feet?

14 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I got so much more excited about the pole PvP and classes are quite expensive.

Yeah! Looking forward to see a pole PvP again, the last one was great to watch + points for using home toys that might be getting dusty :P

• Like 1

1 minute ago, @mu said:

(neighbours' complaints so far)?

And are you on the ground floor or higher up?

7 minutes ago, @mu said:

I had a side question: does you A-frame make any noise at all or not (neighbours' complaints so far)? Do you use any rubber/foam padding under the feet?

Nope, no noise, and no I didn't bother putting in any padding. It seems stable enough for my needs. I suspect me failing at practicing handstands makes a lot more noise. :D Luckily my neighbours haven't said anything. I'm on the second floor.

9 minutes ago, @mu said:

points for using home toys that might be getting dusty :P

giphy.gif

• Like 2

My rig is a squeaker.... And we have had some complaints (landlord downstairs)... although not immediately, because at first they didn't know it was sport equipment doing that noise and they were too embarrassed to say anything :lol::D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Morning acro was so fun today! <3

We started with the same reaction warm up drills - one person spins a tennis ball on a string and the other tries to avoid it while trying to get as close to it in different ways. Today we had an added twist in that for one of the exercises we were three people, one person spins the ball, one person closes their eyes and the third person either pushed the first person or used a verbal cue to when the blind person should go. Funnily enough I felt more nervous about the other person than myself. :) I was a lot more comfortable with these drills this week compared to last time which was nice. I felt I could get closer to the ball and "interact" a bit more with it, rather than just being nervous about getting hit in the face haha.

Then we did some more warm up stuff. Today there were a little bit easier, fewer super weird movements. :P Except for a sort of side roll to side worm thingy for lack of a better description. I have no idea if any of these movements have names, but they were nice.

Our main exercise however is actually a real thing, with a name. ;) We worked on the fish flop. It took me quite a long time to figure out how to even do a simple shoulder roll on my left, even when I tried going over my left shoulder somehow I kept switching to my right mid-move which caused me much confusion. The teacher helped me out with a simple cue and a spot. I really like the guy, you can tell he's a very experienced teacher and he's suuuper chill about everything. It's really nice. Eventually I tried going for the whole fish flop but only on a mat. Got a few that felt smooth, but maybe on the floor I'd end up belly flopping. I'll try working on it at home.

The last exercise that I never got around to was a "stupid but nice" jump as my teacher said. :P Basically you jump into the fish flop instead of doing a shoulder roll. It looked ridiculous but kind of fun haha.

Tried a few handstands after class, but after doing so many backbends my core was not functioning at all and I kept going over into a banana handstand every time. The morning acro hype also didn't help, felt like I had way too much energy after class!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, @mu said:

My rig is a squeaker.... And we have had some complaints (landlord downstairs)... although not immediately, because at first they didn't know it was sport equipment doing that noise and they were too embarrassed to say anything :lol::D

Haha they probably still think it's a sex swing. ;) 

• Haha 3