• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter and the Swamp Creatures

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Don't worry, the rest of the family gets used to your weird behavior. I speak from experience :D The other day I was watching a video on my computer and started getting cold. So, with my headphones still plugged in to the computer I put the computer on the floor and did 10 pushups to get warm. The rest of the family just looked at me and laughed Rolling on the Floor Laughing

 

Or if I've been on my ass for too long working I might put headphones on and break out in a spontaneous ugly-dance to music only I can hear Note:P  First time they asked wtf I was doing. Now they don't bat an eye anymore :) 

Haha love it!

 

Anyone living with me would additionally to weird behaviour also have to deal with sitting and sleeping on the floor and circus toys everywhere haha. :D 

 

5 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Your meditation habit is getting strong now, hey? When other things fall short, you still make sure to keep that one going. I am super proud of you :) Are you enjoying them a bit more? Any glimpses of rewarding? 

34 days in a row now! :o 

 

And I still don't know haha. :P I do find it quite interesting, like the day to day variations and what my brain will try to do. Most days it's hard to get into, but when I do I quite enjoy the few minutes of.... something. Something positive I think. It's also making me very aware of how cluttered my mind is during the day when it's 10x more active than in the morning. Which is good in one way, in another way the contrast is almost unpleasant!

 

I've noticed that my approach to meditation is quite different from when I've tried in the past. Then I'd just get bored and didn't see the point, but now I've realised that if I concentrate enough and try hard to stay present it's quite an interesting mental challenge. Funny thing is that it's almost easier to clear the mind of bad thoughts, sometimes I get on train of thought that I find interesting and then I barely notice myself slipping.

 

I don't know if you're familiar with the app, but there's a 3x10 day basics course which is mostly breathing. But now I've started on a different course called Focus. In that they've introduced a visualization technique where you basically imagine a ball of light moving around your body and you focus on that body part. I feel like that is much, much easier for me than the breathing, which I also find quite interesting. Once or twice I've gotten into a state which was a bit... funny. It honestly weirded me out a little. It wasn't at all unpleasant but it creeps me out to have that kind of "reaction".

It also amuses me that even though this technique quietens down the voices in my head relatively effectively, my mind keeps inventing new ways of distracting myself. Like changing the shape and size and colour of the ball. Or when the ball gets to my head the thought that I'm an angler fish or an Ood likes to pop up. :D 

 

28 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

I'll have to catch up and am a tiny bit scared still. Like @zenLara was saying it isn't that tempting to pick something up again where you know you have to start way back again buuuuuuuut there is only way to go

Honestly that's why I only did the beginner pole conditioning and no tricks. :) 

 

30 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

You'll just have to do it for us and record :P 

Oh no, I didn't even try! I'm still trying to do the regular fish flop without the safety of a big squishy mat.

 

31 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

that routine looks great and I want to play too now. But I don't have any wifi in my basement so it will be even harder trying to figure out which leg goes where from the video :lol: oh and I don't have any heels, so it probably looks a lot less convincing even if I do manage any part of it. Oh well...

That's not the one I tried, just a similar style. :) You can see the one I tried on PoleSphere.com if you want to check it out. They have a 10 day free trial period and quite a few tutorials, it actually looks pretty good. Can be worth checking out even for a few days just for inspiration!

 

36 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

My warm up onion layers might look the same as yours though :P Tomorrow I might have some time to play, if not Tuesday night should be good too. Oooooh should we set it up already?? You want to go ahead and start?

The new forum will hopefully be up soon, let's put it up then. But feel free to start tomorrow! You can get it kickstarted, I have parkour tomorrow anyways.

 

37 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

That with the cold makes a lot of sense. Could it be an influence on your sleep as well?

For sure. I know that it's often recommended to keep the bedroom cool, but that really doesn't work for me. If I'm not toasty warm my muscles won't relax and I sleep badly and even get sore the next day. I'm warm when I go to bed though, so I don't know how to fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

34 days in a row now! :o 

 

Woot woot

 

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

 

 Funny thing is that it's almost easier to clear the mind of bad thoughts, sometimes I get on train of thought that I find interesting and then I barely notice myself slipping.

 

Haha, I know that one too! I then tell my brain, please do bring it up later again in the day, I'd like to follow this up :D just not now and it helps somewhat. And mostly I even remember later!

 

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

 

I don't know if you're familiar with the app, but there's a 3x10 day basics course which is mostly breathing. But now I've started on a different course called Focus. In that they've introduced a visualization technique where you basically imagine a ball of light moving around your body and you focus on that body part. I feel like that is much, much easier for me than the breathing, which I also find quite interesting. Once or twice I've gotten into a state which was a bit... funny. It honestly weirded me out a little. It wasn't at all unpleasant but it creeps me out to have that kind of "reaction".

 

Makes total sense. The ball of light would help you focus on a spacial area and that opens the focus up which enhances slower brain waves. Like, when we are busy analyzing, thinking with our rational brain we'd be in beta brain waves, higher or lower depending how relaxed or stressed we are but when you go into daydreaming or so you go into Alpha and that spacial focus helps that. From there it is only a short way into Theta brain waves, the state where the body is so relaxed we would normally drift into sleep and a very good one for recovery and immune boosters and such functions. Many people do fall asleep here even, but if you don't you can get into mental states that are just very unfamiliar and the unknown is a bit scary to start with, even if it's harmless or in this case even beneficial.

You're doing so great!! This is awesome :) 

 

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

It also amuses me that even though this technique quietens down the voices in my head relatively effectively, my mind keeps inventing new ways of distracting myself. Like changing the shape and size and colour of the ball. Or when the ball gets to my head the thought that I'm an angler fish or an Ood likes to pop up. :D 

 

 

:lol: 

 

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

 

Honestly that's why I only did the beginner pole conditioning and no tricks. :) 

 

Oh no, I didn't even try! I'm still trying to do the regular fish flop without the safety of a big squishy mat.

 

smart choices :) 

 

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

 

That's not the one I tried, just a similar style. :) You can see the one I tried on PoleSphere.com if you want to check it out. They have a 10 day free trial period and quite a few tutorials, it actually looks pretty good. Can be worth checking out even for a few days just for inspiration!

 

Oh ok, I'll have a look sometime then, thanks.

 

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

 

The new forum will hopefully be up soon, let's put it up then. But feel free to start tomorrow! You can get it kickstarted, I have parkour tomorrow anyways.

 

No rush. I'm going to the gym with hubby tomorrow morning and then want to get some work done, too, so I must see as well. Motivation is there though ^_^

 

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

 

For sure. I know that it's often recommended to keep the bedroom cool, but that really doesn't work for me. If I'm not toasty warm my muscles won't relax and I sleep badly and even get sore the next day. I'm warm when I go to bed though, so I don't know how to fix it.

 

Hot water bottle? But that would also be more helpful in the evening and not so much later... Can you heat the room a tiny bit more? Wear warmer clothes for sleeping? I feel like a whimp because with us it's not even that cold right now, but I am wearing my icebreaker long sleeve tops every night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Oh and I know one should not judge a book by its cover, but I totally have to have "Taming your Gremlin" now :D
 Thanks @RogueLibrarian

 

I'm going to look for this one as well. Not like I don't have a stack to read already!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

By for example doing spontaneous dive rolls throughout the day.

haha, I do these all the time too, and get tons of funny looks when I do them in public :D 

 

I loved that fish flop thing.  I had never seen it before so yesterday Ghostlet and I went downstairs and tried it out.  So much fun!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 5:17 PM, karinajean said:

ALSO a dragon sign, also super arrogant and ALSO so aware of my own "faults.  So KB Girl you're probably right about that zodiac bit!

 

I'd also fit into that category and I'm a horse. Well, according to the Chinese zodiac anyway ;) Otherwise typing would be challenging. This seems more related to us being over-thinkers than because of whatever reasons the Chinese had for assigning animals to years.

 

 

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

And I'm a bit of a lizard, I only move when my core temperature is warm enough, if it's not I just cocoon next to the radiator and think about pizza.

 

Oh this is the major thing that made me want to leave Europe in the Winters. I'd literally curl up next to the radiator because it was the only way I could warm myself up.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Haha, I know that one too! I then tell my brain, please do bring it up later again in the day, I'd like to follow this up :D just not now and it helps somewhat. And mostly I even remember later!

That's what I try to do as well, it works pretty well.

 

12 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Makes total sense. The ball of light would help you focus on a spacial area and that opens the focus up which enhances slower brain waves. Like, when we are busy analyzing, thinking with our rational brain we'd be in beta brain waves, higher or lower depending how relaxed or stressed we are but when you go into daydreaming or so you go into Alpha and that spacial focus helps that. From there it is only a short way into Theta brain waves, the state where the body is so relaxed we would normally drift into sleep and a very good one for recovery and immune boosters and such functions. Many people do fall asleep here even, but if you don't you can get into mental states that are just very unfamiliar and the unknown is a bit scary to start with, even if it's harmless or in this case even beneficial.

 You're doing so great!! This is awesome :) 

Oh that is actually really cool! Part of me wants to read up about this now, but I'm also really enjoying not having any preconceived notions about what to feel. I'm glad to hear it's not unusual to feel disconcerted by it though. Now the meditations are short, I have them set to 20 minutes, so I'm only spending a very short time in that state so it feels weird but ok. Later I'd be very curious to see what would happen in longer meditations.

I feel like I'm focusing too much to fall asleep. Or at least trying to. :D 

 

12 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Oh ok, I'll have a look sometime then, thanks.

I mean it's only if you feel like you need a refresher or inspo. :) I haven't poled for such a long time so I quite like the extra bit of guidance. Don't even know if I'll stay with it.

 

12 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Hot water bottle? But that would also be more helpful in the evening and not so much later... Can you heat the room a tiny bit more? Wear warmer clothes for sleeping? I feel like a whimp because with us it's not even that cold right now, but I am wearing my icebreaker long sleeve tops every night

My radiator's on max and if I wear more clothes I won't be able to fall asleep. :P I hope it's temporary, it's been very warm outside this week so I think they turned down the main thermostat a bit drastically. 

 

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

haha, I do these all the time too, and get tons of funny looks when I do them in public :D 

 

I loved that fish flop thing.  I had never seen it before so yesterday Ghostlet and I went downstairs and tried it out.  So much fun!

I love that you're completely unfazed by doing weird stuff in public! I guess you'll always be the weird white guy no matter what you do though, so might as well do it all. :P  

 

I'm also super jealous that you can just throw yourself into tricks. Unless I'm 100% sure I won't hurt myself I find it very difficult to get my body to even try. I know that I won't hurt myself doing the fish flop, but even the idea of a belly slap prevents me from trying on the floor for now...  

 

5 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

This seems more related to us being over-thinkers than because of whatever reasons the Chinese had for assigning animals to years.

Indeed.

 

5 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Oh this is the major thing that made me want to leave Europe in the Winters. I'd literally curl up next to the radiator because it was the only way I could warm myself up.

With the fantastic insulation and heating of houses in the UK I totally get that. :P 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of arrogance, but oh my word I can't cope reading people's questions regarding the MyFlex assessment! RTFM! 

 

BUT I got the program now! Yay! I looked through the instructional videos this morning, my butt hurts from just watching haha. :D It looks really good though, I think it's exactly what my body needs even if I'm semi dreading the workouts already haha. It's looooong. My guesstimate is that it will take 1.5 hours to go through everything, if I'm lucky. I really like how it's also addressing things like wrist extensions (to try to undo tight climber's forearms!) which are not perhaps the thing you associate with back flexibility. It also includes a cool down which is basically 5 minutes of abs. Eurgh. But also very good for me. It feels like this is the spinach and kale equivalent of training haha. But I'm excited and I think my joints will really thank me. And hopefully will enable me to eventually chase real shinies. ;) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quickie challenge summary for the sake of finishing up, in no particular order:

 

The good

  • I finished the challenge!
  • Meditation has been more interesting than expected
  • I liked the focus on tiny goals and habit formation
  • Focusing on positive actions made me feel good and like I'm more proactive about keeping my shit together
  • Kept my flat relatively clean and fed myself relatively well as a result of positive actions
  • Many positive actions
  • Parkour and acro! <3
  • Morning warm up and breakfast were both good calls and are near habitual

The bad

  • Sleep! I'm trying but I've struggled both with falling asleep some days and waking up in the middle of the night other days
  • Devices, I often feel very distracted, more than usual. This is in very sharp contrast with meditation and my focused days
  • Don't have a good fallback for when I'm having off/tired days (and don't know why they happen in the first place) and I let everything slip in the final week
  • Not enough drawing and handstands!

Anyways new challenge!

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Omg, heavy heels sound like serious side butt murdering! But, yesss. I'm glad you're getting that pole passionnn. And it sounds like it'll match up really well with the flexibility program!

 

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

It also includes a cool down which is basically 5 minutes of abs. Eurgh. 

Back flexibility and ab strength are freeeens. Hehe.

 

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

The good

  • I finished the challenge!
  • Meditation has been more interesting than expected
  • I liked the focus on tiny goals and habit formation
  • Focusing on positive actions made me feel good and like I'm more proactive about keeping my shit together
  • Kept my flat relatively clean and fed myself relatively well as a result of positive actions
  • Many positive actions
  • Parkour and acro! <3
  • Morning warm up and breakfast were both good calls and are near habitual

Awesome <3 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, raptron said:

Back flexibility and ab strength are freeeens. Hehe.

 

They are! I just love how she calls it cool down. :P 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 12:02 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Thanks for letting me talk through this. The more I think about it the more I realise how silly my thinking is. :P I honestly can't think of any evidence in the past 8 years pointing to me not belonging in the good developer camp. Quite the contrary. I just think that I could/should(?) be a lot better. 

It feels quite a lot like my physics degree. I didn't think I deserved a first (the highest mark in the UK) because I didn't study very hard. Which also makes no logical sense.

Days late reading this, but my lord it's like hearing myself talking.. It's definitely this hyper awareness / arrogance of how much better you could be if you'd just work at it a bit more.. but that's also an illusion, because this perfect hard worker that exists in our head is probably entirely completely unrealistic and other people don't work quite as hard as we think.. and even if they do work more than we do, if we want to get there then this slow boring daily stuff has to get in order so we're more free to get into it, you know? 

 

On 2/3/2019 at 8:47 PM, Mad Hatter said:

I've noticed that my approach to meditation is quite different from when I've tried in the past. Then I'd just get bored and didn't see the point, but now I've realised that if I concentrate enough and try hard to stay present it's quite an interesting mental challenge. Funny thing is that it's almost easier to clear the mind of bad thoughts, sometimes I get on train of thought that I find interesting and then I barely notice myself slipping.

 

It also amuses me that even though this technique quietens down the voices in my head relatively effectively, my mind keeps inventing new ways of distracting myself. Like changing the shape and size and colour of the ball. Or when the ball gets to my head the thought that I'm an angler fish or an Ood likes to pop up. :D 

That sounds pretty good actually! I'm so impressed you stuck with it for 30+ days already :)

 

All in all this seemed like a really really good challenge, despite the eh.... challenges x) 

Lack of sleep and cold are not good for you. Hope that bit gets better in the next challenge, which I'll go read right now! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice challenge and love the momentum flying into the next one!

 

 

On 2/3/2019 at 2:47 PM, Mad Hatter said:

I don't know if you're familiar with the app, but there's a 3x10 day basics course which is mostly breathing. But now I've started on a different course called Focus. In that they've introduced a visualization technique where you basically imagine a ball of light moving around your body and you focus on that body part. I feel like that is much, much easier for me than the breathing, which I also find quite interesting. Once or twice I've gotten into a state which was a bit... funny. It honestly weirded me out a little. It wasn't at all unpleasant but it creeps me out to have that kind of "reaction".

It also amuses me that even though this technique quietens down the voices in my head relatively effectively, my mind keeps inventing new ways of distracting myself. Like changing the shape and size and colour of the ball. Or when the ball gets to my head the thought that I'm an angler fish or an Ood likes to pop up. :D 

 

I totally am in the middle of this course right now! I really like it a lot. I find that it definitely feels different from the other meditation courses I've done in the app. My head feels oddly tingly when I'm at the spot over my head, I've never felt like an Ood though :) I don't know much about them, but the locations in the flow seem pretty close to the chakras, so I often am influenced by those colors in when visualizing the ball of light.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2019 at 8:47 PM, Mad Hatter said:

It also amuses me that even though this technique quietens down the voices in my head relatively effectively, my mind keeps inventing new ways of distracting myself.

Brains are wonderful. I would have problems with the light ball sometimes, because my brain kept saying "no, wait, I didn't imagine it right, let's dwell a little more on this thought"

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 10:40 PM, KB Girl said:

if we want to get there then this slow boring daily stuff has to get in order so we're more free to get into it, you know? 

Yep, that's why I'm trying to shift my mindset for these challenges and focus on the boring stuff. :P 

 

On 2/4/2019 at 10:40 PM, KB Girl said:

That sounds pretty good actually! I'm so impressed you stuck with it for 30+ days already :)

Me too! ;) I think I just decided that even if I don't know what the benefits are there will be some benefits. Even if it's pure placebo haha.
 

On 2/5/2019 at 4:19 AM, Suzaqu said:

I totally am in the middle of this course right now! I really like it a lot. I find that it definitely feels different from the other meditation courses I've done in the app. My head feels oddly tingly when I'm at the spot over my head, I've never felt like an Ood though :) I don't know much about them, but the locations in the flow seem pretty close to the chakras, so I often am influenced by those colors in when visualizing the ball of light.

Oh cool!!! I think the biggest takeaway in comparing the two courses is that different meditations can have different effects. Mindblowing eh? :D But if you don't know anything that's quite a cool discovery.

For me changing colours is another source of distraction haha. But it's pretty! :P 

 

1 hour ago, zenLara said:

Brains are wonderful. I would have problems with the light ball sometimes, because my brain kept saying "no, wait, I didn't imagine it right, let's dwell a little more on this thought"

Haha. I sometimes think that my ball is not bright enough and think "hey Hatter you can do better" and then I turn up the brightness haha. But part of the exercise is to have ball flowing so you can't actually sit and dwell on it. So far in all of the exercises that's been the theme that you let thoughts come but you try to let them go as soon as you notice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now