• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter and the Swamp Creatures

1 minute ago, Mad Hatter said:

Hiiiiiiiiii!!! Great to see youuuuuu! <3 Are you coming back to us???

In a very boring, not very assassiny way, yes. 

I'm attempting to get my head out of my own ass and be an actual person with goals. :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sylph said:

In a very boring, not very assassiny way, yes. 

I'm attempting to get my head out of my own ass and be an actual person with goals. :)

Yay! And that's fine, you're still one of us. :D 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Btw could you perchance give me a pointer on how to make a very minimal program that won't suck all my energy but that's still kinda fun and useful? :) 

No need to complicate things, or reinvent the wheel. Starting Strength is all you need (at least to begin with) Weight Lifting

https://startingstrength.com/get-started/programs

I think those programs might be too much volume for me if I still want to do all the things. I’m going to do the Cirque physio stuff soon plus a bit of climbing and handstands and I don’t want it to kill my pretty poor recovery. I don’t even care so much about progress but to have a bit of fun. :) And lifting is really the least of my priorities.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Shame I can't use intelligence to outbrain habits. :D But I'm going to try this time around. ;) 

Right?! Getting the basics down is not really something that can be skipped, no matter how clever you are about it. Unfortunately. -_-

3 minutes ago, Jett said:

Right?! Getting the basics down is not really something that can be skipped, no matter how clever you are about it. Unfortunately. -_-

Damn. :P But in a way, getting the basics down solid is really the lazy option. Because when you automate the boring basic stuff there's more time and energy for the fun shiny things!

• Like 3

Today I'm trying very hard to not get sad that my pull-ups are down to a single crappy one. And that I've lost so much overall strength that even something basic like crow pose feels heavy. I can't tell if I'm mostly weak because I'm unstable or unstable because I'm weak, but everything is very off and wonky.

But since I'm trying to shift my mindset for the better, instead I'm going to be grateful that I can even do one pull-up after several months off and even though my elbow is still not ok. And that I can fight for the balance in a handstands for even a few seconds even when everything is moving like crazy all over the place. And that I can do things like crows and headstand presses.

Positive actions

• Handstands (just a few kick ups, and a couple of headstand presses)
  • Reading up on some tech stuff
  • Meditation

Less positive action

• Watching Netflix because it's the last day of the free trial knowing that I'll either fail my goal tomorrow or not get enough sleep. :P 
  • Like 4

I'm sorry that I missed the solo hiking stuff from last year.  That sounds incredible!

Great challenge!  Focusing on the small, basic things tends to make all of the more exciting, awesome things just fall into place.

1 minute ago, Nymeria said:

I'm sorry that I missed the solo hiking stuff from last year.  That sounds incredible!

Great challenge!  Focusing on the small, basic things tends to make all of the more exciting, awesome things just fall into place.

I've never really done any hiking before, as I used to think it was boring haha, but I loved it! And the Faroes were beyond incredible, such a stunning place!

I hope so. Baby steps. Baby steps.

45 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

But since I'm trying to shift my mindset for the better, instead I'm going to be grateful that I can even do one pull-up after several months off and even though my elbow is still not ok. And that I can fight for the balance in a handstands for even a few seconds even when everything is moving like crazy all over the place. And that I can do things like crows and headstand presses.

Yes! Good mindset! You aren't starting over from zero, and that's great.

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I actually think a little bit of pressing would be good for me. :D I'm really, really bad at pushing. 

Btw could you perchance give me a pointer on how to make a very minimal program that won't suck all my energy but that's still kinda fun and useful? :) 

Haha indeed. :D 

The problem with benching... it's far too technical to just do it on the side.. it's a difficult position to push from too, so progression-wise it makes more sense to train for a pushup first. 

And of course :) I've been experimenting lately with low rep schemes- if you disregard technique/skill/motor control training, then it seems there is really no need for multiple sets. Meaning you basically get all the benefits from just doing one or two sets. Sooo.. pick something you like in the 3 lower body categories.. (squat, hip hinge, stepping), do 2 sets of each... if that's too minimal, pick 2 in each category. See how you recover. Do bigger sets with lower weights to avoid all the energy suck (it's friendlier to your central nervous system) and research shows that it doesn't really make a difference for usefulness anyway. 

Maybe add push and pull if you feel like it. I'd caution against bench and overhead press though.. I just really don't like pressing with a barbell at all. Do they have dumbells? OH press with that is alright. 

You could also add some assistance like hip thrust / glute bridge.. do you need to work on anything? like knees caving in? neck/upper back issues? 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Because when you automate the boring basic stuff there's more time and energy for the fun shiny things!

Can you print this and frame it for me? I need to be reminded of this constantly.

Sorry that the strength recovery process is being a bummer today - it's never fun to feel like you're working to just get back to where you were. :(

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Jett said:

Yes +1, and I know how frustrating it can be but it's never from scratch again and it's also a great opportunity to review foundations and strengthen them.

Alternatively you could use the bench to do elevated Jefferson curls :D

If I could I would definitely deadlift again, I miss it a bit. And I really liked overhead squats ATG and front squats with that lovely strangulation feel from the barbell :D I think those are nice for body balance/coordination as well.  I don't think I would powerlift full time again, at least these days I'm much more attracted to bodyweight. But I still find weights fun and exhilarating in their raw-ness.

I also love that you will have, you know, your handstand corner, seems there was some planning and requirement collection done ahead :P

• Like 3

15 hours ago, raptron said:

HELLO! I love these swampies and the things you are working on.

HOLA!

15 hours ago, Jett said:

It is! Just have to keep telling myself that over and over again. :P 

14 hours ago, KB Girl said:

The problem with benching... it's far too technical to just do it on the side.. it's a difficult position to push from too, so progression-wise it makes more sense to train for a pushup first. 

And of course :) I've been experimenting lately with low rep schemes- if you disregard technique/skill/motor control training, then it seems there is really no need for multiple sets. Meaning you basically get all the benefits from just doing one or two sets. Sooo.. pick something you like in the 3 lower body categories.. (squat, hip hinge, stepping), do 2 sets of each... if that's too minimal, pick 2 in each category. See how you recover. Do bigger sets with lower weights to avoid all the energy suck (it's friendlier to your central nervous system) and research shows that it doesn't really make a difference for usefulness anyway. 

Maybe add push and pull if you feel like it. I'd caution against bench and overhead press though.. I just really don't like pressing with a barbell at all. Do they have dumbells? OH press with that is alright. 

You could also add some assistance like hip thrust / glute bridge.. do you need to work on anything? like knees caving in? neck/upper back issues? 

I noticed that it was hard to press when I was playing with dumbbells during my travels. Not even on bench but on the floor. :P The most difficult part of that was getting into position though haha. But I see your point. Honestly I might still dick around with them just to experiment and because other people are, even if it's stupid haha. But one day I'll get over my pushup aversion and work on that for sure.

Two sets sound much more fun and manageable than 5 haha. By stepping do you mean some kind of lunge variation? 

When you say research shows it doesn't make a difference - do you mean the number of sets in particular, or the lower weight or the combo of the two? And that the increased volume is less useful for muscle strength but rather for drilling the movement pattern? 

Yeah we're getting dumbbells too. My boss needs dem gunz curls. :lol: I might try adding in OHPs, again I played around a little during my travels, and it was... interesting. It was very clear I'm not used to stabilising loads in that way, though I couldn't tell if it would be useful to practice in the long run. Or if it would be better to do my handstand work and complement it with physio style stabilisation exercises.

Yup, I'll give those a go too! I don't have any neck/upper back issues and my knees don't cave as long as I concentrate on keeping my form nice. 

But I do have very long list on things to work on haha, too long to be reasonable. :D 

13 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Can you print this and frame it for me? I need to be reminded of this constantly.

Sorry that the strength recovery process is being a bummer today - it's never fun to feel like you're working to just get back to where you were. :(

It sucks, but hopefully I can rebuild a little better. :) 

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

You could always copy my lifting program:

A couple of squats here, a couple of deadlifts there and BAM, off to do fun stuff :D 

Perfect! Though I think I'll modify it a little - start with fun handstand stuff, then do a few squats and deadlifts, and then do MORE fun stuff. :D 

I'm glad I don't have a coach, I'd drive them nuts. :P (Though maybe it'd be good for me haha)

5 hours ago, @mu said:

Yes +1, and I know how frustrating it can be but it's never from scratch again and it's also a great opportunity to review foundations and strengthen them.

Alternatively you could use the bench to do elevated Jefferson curls :D

If I could I would definitely deadlift again, I miss it a bit. And I really liked overhead squats ATG and front squats with that lovely strangulation feel from the barbell :D I think those are nice for body balance/coordination as well.  I don't think I would powerlift full time again, at least these days I'm much more attracted to bodyweight. But I still find weights fun and exhilarating in their raw-ness.

I also love that you will have, you know, your handstand corner, seems there was some planning and requirement collection done ahead :P

Exactly!

I don't get Jefferson curls. I tried a few times but they just feel weird. A fairly pleasant back stretch but that's it. I'm not sure if I'm missing something but I think I did them right...

Mmm who doesn't love a nice strangulation? :lol: I'll try those variations too.

I'm also much more attracted to bodyweight, but I suspect barbell work could be a good way for my body to learn how to stay solid and engaged throughout the whole body instead of flopping about everywhere. It's worth a try for sure. 

Haha it's quite a big room, so my only concern was that we wouldn't get too many things that would fill up the space. :D Hence the squat rack rather than a bunch of smaller stands. ;) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I noticed that it was hard to press when I was playing with dumbbells during my travels. Not even on bench but on the floor. :P The most difficult part of that was getting into position though haha. But I see your point. Honestly I might still dick around with them just to experiment and because other people are, even if it's stupid haha. But one day I'll get over my pushup aversion and work on that for sure.

Getting into position is the most difficult part of benching x) it's not easy at all to generate the right tension there either. Dick around all you like, just don't add a stupid amount of weight :P

Where did the pushup aversion come from? Mine got a lot better since I ditched the whole idea of knee-pushups. Horrid things. 

17 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Two sets sound much more fun and manageable than 5 haha. By stepping do you mean some kind of lunge variation? 

When you say research shows it doesn't make a difference - do you mean the number of sets in particular, or the lower weight or the combo of the two? And that the increased volume is less useful for muscle strength but rather for drilling the movement pattern? 

Yes, lunge variation.. sort of.. stepping is the movement pattern of slowing down something. So stepping down from a box or even farmer's walks are all stepping variations. The stick game is fun, you have someone hold it+let it go and you have to catch it in a lunge as close to the floor as possible. They can call right/left arm to make it more difficult. 

So the research says that the amount of hypertrophy you get from a training doesn't differ much between number of sets or heaviness of the weight, as long as you do one challenging set. And you're exactly right about the increased volume... it's shocking really, it completely changes the way to think about strength training that's meant to support some other activity. 

21 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yeah we're getting dumbbells too. My boss needs dem gunz curls. :lol: I might try adding in OHPs, again I played around a little during my travels, and it was... interesting. It was very clear I'm not used to stabilising loads in that way, though I couldn't tell if it would be useful to practice in the long run. Or if it would be better to do my handstand work and complement it with physio style stabilisation exercises.

Yup, I'll give those a go too! I don't have any neck/upper back issues and my knees don't cave as long as I concentrate on keeping my form nice. 

But I do have very long list on things to work on haha, too long to be reasonable. :D 

Probably the latter.. anything overhead is simply an added risk factor, even if you do it with dumbells instead of barbells. I know it sounds silly, but injury prevention is just a really important thing for us when we're just trying to support someones main sport/activity. And you already spend plenty of time overhead, so it's unlikely to be beneficial to add to that. 

You could use some bend arm work I suppose, no need to go overhead for that though. Make them get paralettes? 

I can give you a little in-between drill to make your knees more likely to cooperate? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Getting into position is the most difficult part of benching x) it's not easy at all to generate the right tension there either. Dick around all you like, just don't add a stupid amount of weight :P

Oh no, that'd just be silly. :D Not interested in squishing or hurting myself, this is supposed to be fun!

2 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Where did the pushup aversion come from? Mine got a lot better since I ditched the whole idea of knee-pushups. Horrid things. 

Mainly from sucking at them. :P And because all my activities are so pull heavy they feel like a chore. 

7 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Yes, lunge variation.. sort of.. stepping is the movement pattern of slowing down something. So stepping down from a box or even farmer's walks are all stepping variations. The stick game is fun, you have someone hold it+let it go and you have to catch it in a lunge as close to the floor as possible. They can call right/left arm to make it more difficult. 

Ahh ok gotcha! Sounds pretty fun. :) 

7 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

So the research says that the amount of hypertrophy you get from a training doesn't differ much between number of sets or heaviness of the weight, as long as you do one challenging set. And you're exactly right about the increased volume... it's shocking really, it completely changes the way to think about strength training that's meant to support some other activity. 

That's really interesting. And kinda makes sense from an evolutionary point of view as humans wouldn't normally do the "max sets" that often in nature, but it'd still be beneficial to get the adaptation.

Knowing that makes it so much better though! It's a lot less daunting knowing that you can get away with one set rather than having to do 5x the volume to improve. :) Which is a loooot of time and energy you could spend on the fun things instead. Or for recovering.

15 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Probably the latter.. anything overhead is simply an added risk factor, even if you do it with dumbells instead of barbells. I know it sounds silly, but injury prevention is just a really important thing for us when we're just trying to support someones main sport/activity. And you already spend plenty of time overhead, so it's unlikely to be beneficial to add to that. 

You could use some bend arm work I suppose, no need to go overhead for that though. Make them get paralettes? 

That sounds very reasonable. Definitely not silly, I'm so sick of injuries and niggles! The cirque physio program will hopefully cover what I need for handstand stabilisers. 

Parallettes now that's an idea. :D Or perhaps just the dreaded pushups. ;) With some bent arm balancing.

19 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

I can give you a little in-between drill to make your knees more likely to cooperate? 

Sure why not? I don't think I'll necessarily needed, but it was like 5 years ago since I tried a barbell squat so who knows! And that was only a few times. Plus I'll most likely end up the form police to make sure my stiff colleagues won't hurt themselves so it's always good to add to the underpants collection. ;) 

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Knowing that makes it so much better though! It's a lot less daunting knowing that you can get away with one set rather than having to do 5x the volume to improve. :) Which is a loooot of time and energy you could spend on the fun things instead. Or for recovering.

That sounds very reasonable. Definitely not silly, I'm so sick of injuries and niggles! The cirque physio program will hopefully cover what I need for handstand stabilisers. 

Parallettes now that's an idea. :D Or perhaps just the dreaded pushups. ;) With some bent arm balancing.

Sure why not? I don't think I'll necessarily needed, but it was like 5 years ago since I tried a barbell squat so who knows! And that was only a few times. Plus I'll most likely end up the form police to make sure my stiff colleagues won't hurt themselves so it's always good to add to the underpants collection. ;) 

Right? Reading up on it was such a "wow" for me! Especially when you've got the technique down, there is no need to spend so much time.. such freedom! xD 

If you want to get started with the pushups you can do that with the squat rack very nicely, just put the bar somewhere you can handle and then drop down a hole occasionally. 

Underpants are good, so I'll make a video when I'm bored ;)

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh and thanks for your input, it's awesome!

Anytime :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Right? Reading up on it was such a "wow" for me! Especially when you've got the technique down, there is no need to spend so much time.. such freedom! xD 

Especially for people with a bit of an all or nothing mentality. I sometimes think that it's not worth doing stuff at all unless I can dedicate the 3x/week or whatever to it. And it's true that I might not get really good at those movements, but that doesn't mean I can't benefit. :) 

15 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

If you want to get started with the pushups you can do that with the squat rack very nicely, just put the bar somewhere you can handle and then drop down a hole occasionally. 

I hate incline pushups just as much as knee pushups haha. But maybe I should just suck it up and do what's good for me. :P

3 hours ago, Asa Pond said:

Hiiiiiiiii. 

Just coming in with a Happy New Year and Yay Acceptance!

Happy new year to you toooo! :D

• Like 1