• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter and the Swamp Creatures

So not unexpectedly going to bed too late didn't work out so well for a productive morning. :P I did wake up early, and then I took a nap until 9 haha when I got brutally awakened to a dream where I stepped on a path full of crawling wasps and venomous snakes.

Anyways, everything got a little bit delayed, but I did it all the things eventually. 

It was cold today (inside of nostrils literally freezing cold) but gorgeous so I took a break from work at about 3:30 pm to, umm, watch the sunset. It was sooooo beautiful, it made me really happy. I'll post a few pics in a bit. 

Later I did a short handstands workout, which was honestly still rather depressing, but I'm beginning to understand how I need to compensate for my somewhat less flexible and fatter and weaker body. I think my consistency rating was like 1 or 2 in 25, it was rough. I followed it up by some shoulder shrugs and leans plus Swiss ball pike ups as mini conditioning.

Positive actions

• Meditated - Oh I finally finished the basic course on Headspace! And it only took me two+ years! :D 
  • Nature walk 
  • Handstands
  • Attempted to season my new not-so-shiny-anymore carbon steel pan. Failed at realising that smoky pan => open windows => OMG MY FLAT IS SO COLD

Current stats

• Eat 3/6
  • Sleep 1/3
  • Move 3/6
  • Screen time stuff - not so good, it's hard to remember. 
  • Like 6

Just look at this! And imagine real life being 10x more pretty and intense.

B64BBE5A-640E-4E6E-8D87-AA7CD5A11729.thumb.jpeg.7b8d928adf85fbb9f83ea976d3705a19.jpeg

D4674B9B-1B7E-4C49-95BB-743297705279.thumb.jpeg.d97d0c0350029e4a33cf5be4618c9557.jpeg

15E700AE-987B-4F5C-A3A6-25C1C6B11391.thumb.jpeg.f2479222c65255b79cf3496d3a05f1d1.jpeg

Oh and how cute is my new grocery tote :lol:

1DDBF4AC-5E3D-4D27-95A1-2FE1375A5F18.thumb.jpeg.abfd0b37b41e992929f60da0ff4d9c3e.jpeg

• Like 8

oooh I love how your challenge immediately gets into the nuts and bolts of how our bodies work. gosh I missed being around this kind of thoughtful brilliance. <3 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, karinajean said:

oooh I love how your challenge immediately gets into the nuts and bolts of how our bodies work. gosh I missed being around this kind of thoughtful brilliance. <3 

Bodies are cool! Gross, but cool! (I'm glad other people have more brilliant things to say. :D)

Also booo for the upload mangling the pics especially the colours.

Still looks great! you have that close to your work? that's really pretty sweet! sunset at 3:30 though x) 

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Especially for people with a bit of an all or nothing mentality. I sometimes think that it's not worth doing stuff at all unless I can dedicate the 3x/week or whatever to it. And it's true that I might not get really good at those movements, but that doesn't mean I can't benefit. :) 

Yes! That! 

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Meditated - Oh I finally finished the basic course on Headspace! And it only took me two+ years! :D 

Congrats! :)

Those sunset pics - even if mangled - are breathtaking! Must've been glorious to see in person!

Also, can totally relate to the all or nothing mentality, It's hard to convince myself it's really OK to do something just a little bit and make slow progress in it. If I figure out a magical trick for it, I'll let you know. ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Just look at this!

For that kind of beauty, I might just be willing to put up with the cold.  OK, not really, but still very beautiful.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Still looks great! you have that close to your work? that's really pretty sweet! sunset at 3:30 though x) 

Yes! That! 

5 minutes on the metro to get into the city center and then about 15 minutes walk to and from the metro (total). 2 minutes to the beach. ;) It really is awesome, I lucked out big time. 

The downside is the darkness... But it's getting better every day now and soon it will be stupidly light again. :P Plus the snow helps.

8 hours ago, annyshay said:

Congrats! :)

Thanks! Better late than never haha. I still don't have a clue whether it's helping or not, but I might give it a proper go.

5 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Those sunset pics - even if mangled - are breathtaking! Must've been glorious to see in person!

Also, can totally relate to the all or nothing mentality, It's hard to convince myself it's really OK to do something just a little bit and make slow progress in it. If I figure out a magical trick for it, I'll let you know. ;)

It was so stunning!

Looking forward to it. :P 

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

For that kind of beauty, I might just be willing to put up with the cold.  OK, not really, but still very beautiful.

LOL it's about the same temperatures where you are, if not colder. :D Helsinki winters are mild, the average is just a few degrees below freezing, with a handful of days < -15C. The only thing is that spring is slow to come because of the latitude.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I don't get Jefferson curls. I tried a few times but they just feel weird. A fairly pleasant back stretch but that's it. I'm not sure if I'm missing something but I think I did them right...

Yep that's it, a very nice stretch :P  I feel them in my hamstrings mostly, but your mutant hamstrings might not all, I'm not sure you even have hamstrings? :D

Magnificent sunset!  and loving the ice handstand pony bag :D

7 minutes ago, @mu said:

Yep that's it, a very nice stretch :P  I feel them in my hamstrings mostly, but your mutant hamstrings might not all, I'm not sure you even have hamstrings? :D

Magnificent sunset!  and loving the ice handstand pony bag :D

Oh trust me, I do have hamstrings and they're not mutant, and one of them still gets cranky years post a hamstring tear. But since you do them with a curved back it doesn't force a hamstring stretch for me. I've always had a very good ability to fold though, even when my hamstrings still suck in front splits for example.

It's a moomin troll! :D My spirit animal.

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

LOL it's about the same temperatures where you are, if not colder. :D Helsinki winters are mild, the average is just a few degrees below freezing, with a handful of days < -15C

Huh, I did not know that.  Helsinki probably needs to work on their marketing then, because my working assumption (which I think may be representative for most Americans?) was that all of Scandinavia is a frozen wasteland 80% of the year...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Huh, I did not know that.  Helsinki probably needs to work on their marketing then, because my working assumption (which I think may be representative for most Americans?) was that all of Scandinavia is a frozen wasteland 80% of the year...

I don't know where you live, but the climate here is pretty much exactly the same as in the Pacific NW.

On 1/1/2019 at 4:24 PM, Mad Hatter said:

A clean environment

Regular sleep

Eating plenty of food with enough variety

Screen free time

Dealing with life on time without procrastinating too much

Outdoor time

These would also be my basics, more or less. It's weird how we usually overlook them in our chase for the shiny. 

Glad to see you're doing well. Don't worry those pull-ups will come back (at least that's what I say to myself, ha)

Lovely pictures! :love_heart:

• Like 1

Helsinki probably needs to work on their marketing then, because my working assumption (which I think may be representative for most Americans?) was that all of Scandinavia is a frozen wasteland 80% of the year...

Totally agree :D

Nope, far from, unless you live in the Northern parts. But that's a small percentage of the population. 

We also very seldom get big snow dumps here. I think I've only seen it once in my life and that was still nothing to what you get in many places in the US.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

But the polar bears in the streets are totally true. 

Totally.

Yeah, look what I found when using google maps street view

Resultado de imagen de nonchalant polar bear gif

That's the park in your neighbourhood, right?

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

The downside is the darkness... But it's getting better every day now and soon it will be stupidly light again. :P Plus the snow helps.

how many hours of daylight do you have this time of year? (I could totally look this up but I am being lazy this morning.) Every year on winter solstice I breathe a HUGE sigh of relief. FINALLY, the sun is returning.

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh trust me, I do have hamstrings and they're not mutant, and one of them still gets cranky years post a hamstring tear. But since you do them with a curved back it doesn't force a hamstring stretch for me. I've always had a very good ability to fold though, even when my hamstrings still suck in front splits for example.

I have pretty stretchy hamstrings too and I find that when they get a little stiff / tight from exercising it's like, a TOTAL disaster for the rest of my body (they pull my hips down, it kind of goes upwards from there). it takes a lot of dedication to find a good stretch for them. but then, I also have a pretty tight lower back too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zenLara said:

These would also be my basics, more or less. It's weird how we usually overlook them in our chase for the shiny. 

Glad to see you're doing well. Don't worry those pull-ups will come back (at least that's what I say to myself, ha)

Lovely pictures! :love_heart:

They're just a lot less fun to work on. :P 

Hope so, it's really hard to not feel dejected every time I do, well, anything.

30 minutes ago, zenLara said:

Yeah, look what I found when using google maps street view

Resultado de imagen de nonchalant polar bear gif

That's the park in your neighbourhood, right?

HOW DID YOU KNOW???

1 minute ago, karinajean said:

how many hours of daylight do you have this time of year? (I could totally look this up but I am being lazy this morning.) Every year on winter solstice I breathe a HUGE sigh of relief. FINALLY, the sun is returning.

I have pretty stretchy hamstrings too and I find that when they get a little stiff / tight from exercising it's like, a TOTAL disaster for the rest of my body (they pull my hips down, it kind of goes upwards from there). it takes a lot of dedication to find a good stretch for them. but then, I also have a pretty tight lower back too. 

About 6. :( But it gets better very quickly!

Yup, know that feeling! But usually for me it actually starts from the hips, even if it feels like the hamstrings. Usually attacking my outer hip muscles, both stretching and active flex, plus do some side bends and rotations I get rid of most of the tight hamstring/low back feeling pretty quickly. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

About 6. :( But it gets better very quickly!

I don't know if I would be okay with this... right now, the sun comes up here just after 8 and goes down about a quarter after 5, so we get 9 hours and it feels like it is dark ALL THE TIME.

8 minutes ago, sylph said:

I don't know if I would be okay with this... right now, the sun comes up here just after 8 and goes down about a quarter after 5, so we get 9 hours and it feels like it is dark ALL THE TIME.

Nobody is ok with this. :D 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tobbe said:

I don't know where you live, but the climate here is pretty much exactly the same as in the Pacific NW.

I live in Beijing, China.  Where apparently we get all of the cold you guys get (and then some), but none of the snow :( 

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

HOW DID YOU KNOW???

Hmmm... I'm batman?

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

About 6.

How do you even manage to get outside of your bed and build a life?