• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter and the Swamp Creatures

On 1/4/2019 at 5:01 PM, Charlie_Quinn said:

Those pictures are stunning. And I want that tote

It's cute isn't it. :D 

On 1/4/2019 at 5:24 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I live in Beijing, China.  Where apparently we get all of the cold you guys get (and then some), but none of the snow :( 

Aww that's lame. Snow's the only thing that makes it bearable. 

On 1/4/2019 at 6:22 PM, zenLara said:

How do you even manage to get outside of your bed and build a life?

That's the million dollar question. You make the most of the light when it's there, make the darkness cosier with candles, but 99.9% you suck it up and try to remember that it's only a phase. :P 

On 1/4/2019 at 6:30 PM, raptron said:

Ahhh, I love the tote and that you went out to enjoy the sunset. I bet it was v. stunning in person. 

So stunning! :wub:

Yesterday I was pretty wrecked, for some reason the work week felt very long, even though it was only 3 days. :P Trying to wake up early while going to bed late doesn't really help haha. I still went out for Friday beers after work though, which was a good choice. I had a fun time, but I was very adult and called it an early night. ;) And instead of watching movies or whatever I did a bit of drawing and then I went straight to bed. And today I woke up with ALL the energy! It was amazing.

I wanted to test out my new pan and if my seasoning was good so based on my parents' suggestion I decided to make crepes. I invited a friend to help me eat them, or to witness the terrible disaster, but every single one was perfect. :D The pan was awesome, I couldn't be happier and yes I get really excited about kitchen stuff.

Then we went climbing and it was so much fun! I could DO things again, even try hard on a few problems! And my body seemed to be a lot less confused today. Not going to lie, it was pretty depressing when there were some trivial things that I couldn't do, but I feel like I'm taking it in good stride and I'm not letting it bother me. It's just confusing when I can't hold on to holds that are really good. But then I could do a really fun full body wrestling problem that my friend couldn't do because he couldn't get his foot up, which greatly amused me. :P 

And now I'm POOPED! I haven't worked my body this way in a very, VERY long time time and it feels awesome.

Yesterday's positive actions

• Meditated
  • Hung out with friends
  • Did a drawing exercise!

Today's

• Meditated
  • Climbing and trying hard!
  • Invited a friend over for crepes
  • Cleaned the bathroom and kitchen floors

Current stats

• Eat 5/6
  • Sleep 1/3
  • Move 5/6
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I haven't worked my body this way in a very, VERY long time time and it feels awesome.

YAYYYYYYYY

Off to a most shiny start I see :) Why is there no "love it" response to those pics possible!! And for the Mumintroll bag, I want one tooooooooooo
Mighty impressed to see meditation listed consistently here despite you saying you're not a fan?? What happened? And what kind of meditations are you doing? Are you enjoying them?

12 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Not going to lie, it was pretty depressing when there were some trivial things that I couldn't do, but I feel like I'm taking it in good stride and I'm not letting it bother me. It's just confusing when I can't hold on to holds that are really good.

That's awesome! And the confusing bit is because you're definitely not a beginner at all nor starting from scratch, you are just coming back from rehab and recovery. It's different. Your brain is trained and most of your body parts are also responsive, it's just some areas that will need cocooning :P

Crepes! :wub:

And I didn't know about Moomins, looked up Wikipedia! so cute

15 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

but I feel like I'm taking it in good stride and I'm not letting it bother me.

This is good to hear :)

12 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Mighty impressed to see meditation listed consistently here despite you saying you're not a fan?? What happened? And what kind of meditations are you doing? Are you enjoying them?

Short story: It's an experiment. :) 

Long story: Last challenge was a complete flop and I ended up in a pretty bad funk. And it got me thinking about to what extent it's self inflicted. It's an uncomfortable notion, but we know a fair amount about what the brain likes, and about habits and how certain lifestyle choices can make or break the brain, and it's very clear that a lot of mine work against it. And that's plain dumb. Ok part of me does take some kind of twisted pleasure in the contrast between the good and the bad, but it's pretty stupid to actively make things worse. So I'm going to try to take my mental health a bit more seriously, by creating more consistent basic life habits and by tackling negative mindset of the non-productive kind. 

To bring it back to meditation - it's one of those things that so many people swear by and that does seem to have scientific backing so I might as well try it. It's practically free and minimally invasive with plenty of potential benefits. @KB Girl mentioned that it can act as a layer between thoughts and listening to them and I could certainly use that when the brain weasels attack. But in absolutely worst case I'll end up spending a few distraction free minutes, which is still a good thing. 

I can't say I'm enjoying it as such, but it's not terrible. :P Sometimes I get impatient to get going but I'm trying to see it as recharging, or as practice. Sometimes I feel a teeeeny bit more clear headed, maybe? I'm using the Headspace app which I actually do quite like, it feels very friendly and straightforward. It's only been about 2 weeks though, with a break when I was at home (couldn't deal with the parentals' potential comments) so it's a bit too early to say as I'm still getting used to it. 

12 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I do very much like your positive actions list. 

Me too - thanks @zenLara ;) 

I read this article the other day and kinda feel like it's a nice compromise: 

https://mobilitytraining.com.au/blog/2019/01/03/grateful-log-vs-10-lines-of-torture/

3 hours ago, @mu said:

That's awesome! And the confusing bit is because you're definitely not a beginner at all nor starting from scratch, you are just coming back from rehab and recovery. It's different. Your brain is trained and most of your body parts are also responsive, it's just some areas that will need cocooning :P

I'm also used to having grip strength. :D And a tiny bit of endurance. :P 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Short story: It's an experiment. :) 

I had an idea it might :D it's a good approach

Long story: Last challenge was a complete flop and I ended up in a pretty bad funk. And it got me thinking about to what extent it's self inflicted. It's an uncomfortable notion, but we know a fair amount about what the brain likes, and about habits and how certain lifestyle choices can make or break the brain, and it's very clear that a lot of mine work against it. And that's plain dumb. Ok part of me does take some kind of twisted pleasure in the contrast between the good and the bad, but it's pretty stupid to actively make things worse. So I'm going to try to take my mental health a bit more seriously, by creating more consistent basic life habits and by tackling negative mindset of the non-productive kind. 

Brave warrior attitude! Go you :cheerful: It is such an unkomfortable area to look into, and yes, in some way we don't even want to change some things, because they have a certain twisted thrill and have become familiar enough for us to feel that's who we are. Easier to stick to that, it seems at the time, but overall not healthy. It takes a lot of gut to look at these things and make some changes. But I have full faith in you. You're so courageous in many other ways, you can totally do this.

To bring it back to meditation - it's one of those things that so many people swear by and that does seem to have scientific backing so I might as well try it. It's practically free and minimally invasive with plenty of potential benefits.

Yes, yes, yes!!

@KB Girl mentioned that it can act as a layer between thoughts and listening to them and I could certainly use that when the brain weasels attack. But in absolutely worst case I'll end up spending a few distraction free minutes, which is still a good thing. 

That's one really helpful aspect yes! Also it retrains your body to take regular rejuvenation times and lowers the overall stress levels within your system, which in turn helps us think better and feel better. I'd say worst case, you are helping your elbow recover faster and get the plague less often :D And yes, distraction free time is super valuable time for our brains and health!

I can't say I'm enjoying it as such, but it's not terrible. :P Sometimes I get impatient to get going but I'm trying to see it as recharging, or as practice. 

I love that attitude :) When I do a quiet meditation with focus on breath only, say, and I get bored, I try to call up my curiosity for the present moment and really experience each breath as I go. That feels really nice to me and helps get less distracted. To be honest I am still often battling with impatience or my mind drifting, even after many years of practicing meditation. There are days when it's super easy, but most days are a practice and it still helps.

Sometimes I feel a teeeeny bit more clear headed, maybe?

YAY

I'm using the Headspace app which I actually do quite like, it feels very friendly and straightforward. It's only been about 2 weeks though, with a break when I was at home (couldn't deal with the parentals' potential comments) so it's a bit too early to say as I'm still getting used to it. 

Cool, am excited to watch you experiment :cheerful:

Me too - thanks @zenLara ;) 

I read this article the other day and kinda feel like it's a nice compromise: 

https://mobilitytraining.com.au/blog/2019/01/03/grateful-log-vs-10-lines-of-torture/

Hah, I like this :D Positive lists can be super helpful to shift perspective, but that's a valid point that if you use them to paint over bad behavior they won't help very far. However the way you do it, using it to list good choices you did make, I think you are covered perfectly for both appreciation and change

I'm also used to having grip strength. :D And a tiny bit of endurance. :P 

They will come back, you know that :) keep your wonderful pacing, you are doing so so very awesome on this!!! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Brave warrior attitude! Go you :cheerful: It is such an unkomfortable area to look into, and yes, in some way we don't even want to change some things, because they have a certain twisted thrill and have become familiar enough for us to feel that's who we are. Easier to stick to that, it seems at the time, but overall not healthy. It takes a lot of gut to look at these things and make some changes. But I have full faith in you. You're so courageous in many other ways, you can totally do this.

Oh I didn't even think about it that way. You certainly have the ability to put a positive spin on everything! Thank you. <3

5 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

To be honest I am still often battling with impatience or my mind drifting, even after many years of practicing meditation. There are days when it's super easy, but most days are a practice and it still helps.

Good to know. :) 

6 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

That's one really helpful aspect yes! Also it retrains your body to take regular rejuvenation times and lowers the overall stress levels within your system, which in turn helps us think better and feel better. I'd say worst case, you are helping your elbow recover faster and get the plague less often :D

I'll take that! :D 

• Like 1

Chill day today. My sleep got a bit messed up when I woke up ravishing at 4 am so was a bit tired all day. But I did some handstands and they felt much better than last time! I still only managed 3 longer holds, but my body was obeying me much better and my shoulders felt pretty stable. Worked kick-ups and some wall drills and a small amount of misc conditioning, it was fun.

Today's positive actions

• Meditated
  • Handstands!
  • Some tech learning stuff
  • Nature walk
  • Cooked tasty food and made an awesome sundae for dessert 

Current stats

• Eat 6/6
  • Sleep 1/3
  • Move 6/6 (if you define "morning" very, very loosely ;))
  • Like 5

YAYYYY new pan and fun movement!!!

Is your new pan similar to cast iron? I bought a new one recently and had a fun time getting the seasoning up to snuff (it's just now there after a non-working week of daily use).

5 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Is your new pan similar to cast iron? I bought a new one recently and had a fun time getting the seasoning up to snuff (it's just now there after a non-working week of daily use).

Yes it is, though ironically enough it contains less iron. It has a much smoother surface so one coat of oil was enough to season it - pretty cool. And it's already awesomely non-stick! It's a lot lighter than a cast iron pan and heats up/cools down much faster, otherwise it's pretty similar to cast iron. 

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Anything within 6 hours of sunrise should count ;) 

I like your thinking. Even in summer? :D 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

heats up/cools down much faster

Which can be both good and bad. A heavy cast iron pan will keep its temperature much better when you put a cold/room temperature piece of meat in it. And I'm not sure about your pan, but the instructions for mine said to not use metal utensils in it. With a cast iron pan there's no problem using a metal spatula for example.

18 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Which can be both good and bad. A heavy cast iron pan will keep its temperature much better when you put a cold/room temperature piece of meat in it. And I'm not sure about your pan, but the instructions for mine said to not use metal utensils in it. With a cast iron pan there's no problem using a metal spatula for example.

Yep completely depends on what you're cooking. But for crepes it's awesome! :) Using metal utensils won't ruin the pan, though it might ruin the seasoning. But then you just redo it, no big deal. I don't really like using metal utensils anyway though so it doesn't really matter.

On 1/6/2019 at 5:49 AM, Mad Hatter said:

To bring it back to meditation - it's one of those things that so many people swear by and that does seem to have scientific backing so I might as well try it. It's practically free and minimally invasive with plenty of potential benefits. @KB Girl mentioned that it can act as a layer between thoughts and listening to them and I could certainly use that when the brain weasels attack. But in absolutely worst case I'll end up spending a few distraction free minutes, which is still a good thing. 

Well, you know I am one of those proponents :)  and I agree with KB. It's like a workout: doing it for a week won't have much effect, but doing it for six months or a year you'll notice changes happening. I'm better at noticing the brain weasels and dealing with them objectively than I used to be, I think.

I used Headspace for quite a while and it's great. I'm on Calm now solely because I wanted a change of pace for a while, not because I had any complaints. If you don't want to end up paying for a Headspace subscription for the long run, there are good free ones too (Stop Breathe & Think and Insight Timer, for two). And I recommend Dan Harris's meditation books -- very real-world grounded and good-naturedly skeptical.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

It's like a workout: doing it for a week won't have much effect, but doing it for six months or a year you'll notice changes happening.

I committed to the year subscription now so this better do something haha. :P 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Well, you know I am one of those proponents :)  and I agree with KB. It's like a workout: doing it for a week won't have much effect, but doing it for six months or a year you'll notice changes happening. I'm better at noticing the brain weasels and dealing with them objectively than I used to be, I think.

I agree with this very strongly. 

38 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I committed to the year subscription now so this better do something haha. :P 

Awesome!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I like your thinking. Even in summer? :D 

Maybe in summer anything before noon counts? In German Vormittag means literally before noon and if you translate that to English you get "morning" - so there :) 

Congrats on your pan seasoning and crepe success! And a good climbing day followed by a solid rest/handstand day? Loveee.

3 hours ago, annyshay said:

Awesome!

The jury's still out. ;) 

2 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Maybe in summer anything before noon counts? In German Vormittag means literally before noon and if you translate that to English you get "morning" - so there :) 

Sounds fair. :D Btw, it's the same in Swedish.

2 hours ago, raptron said:

Congrats on your pan seasoning and crepe success! And a good climbing day followed by a solid rest/handstand day? Loveee.

Yeaaahh back on track! :D 

• Like 2

Gaah another night of crappy sleep. I got insanely full-on-preggo-with-food-baby bloated for some mysterious reason and it was awful and it made it super uncomfortable to sleep. And then I woke up at 4 am wide awake... I still got up according to schedule, but I decided to snooze for a while because sleep is more important yo. 

It only helped a little, but I still managed to do all my morning things, go me! I even did 5 minutes of abs to get some blood flow going after today's very slow yoga-esque warm up. I have a sort of basic warm up framework and then I modify depending on what I feel like or my activity and today's happened to be mostly trying to stretch out the post climbing DOMS. :P 

I also did my "favourite" rehab exercise. The other day my physio friend was saying that rehab for tendonopathies like mine has to hurt, or at least that's one school of thought, so she told me to increase the load next time. Which I did and yikes was it intense! But it still feels much better than before and like it's recovering faster after the stressor.

Work was very long and draining with a meeting that ran late and I got home completely pooped and with a still hurting tummy. I'm just glad that I managed to do something useful in the morning, even if it wasn't much!

Today's positive actions

• Meditated - Today I discovered that even though I was crazy tired I was actually in a good mood and that carried me through for at least part of the day.
  • Abs!

Current stats

• Eat 1/7
  • Sleep 1/5
  • Move 1/7
  • Like 3

I still managed to do all my morning things, go me!

Yay, go you!

The other day my physio friend was saying that rehab for tendonopathies like mine has to hurt, or at least that's one school of thought, so she told me to increase the load next time. Which I did and yikes was it intense! But it still feels much better than before and like it's recovering faster after the stressor.

That's interesting, I would not have expected that increasing load to the point of being painful could be anything but very bad.