• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter and the Swamp Creatures

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

That's interesting, I would not have expected that increasing load to the point of being painful could be anything but very bad.

The whole area of pain medicine is super fascinating!

For acute damage inducing more pain is usually bad. Though there's always exceptions, like resetting joints in case of dislocations. But for chronic pain sometimes you need the exposure to desensitise the pain receptors (pseudo science expl). You also have to load the tendons to stop the tendon generation, so basically you just have to suck it up and embrace the pain. But it's fine as long as it's not way too painful and the pain levels go back to "normal" after 24 hours. It's also key to let the tendons recover properly in between sessions for 48 hours, or for me it was even longer before they felt fully recovered. Obviously this is not for all injuries, but at least it seems to work for this kind of chronic tendon injury. It's not very pleasant, but on the other hand if both resting makes it hurt more, and using it makes it hurt more, than I'd rather be moving it. :P 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

but on the other hand if both resting makes it hurt more, and using it makes it hurt more, than I'd rather be moving it.

You and me both :D 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

For acute damage inducing more pain is usually bad. Though there's always exceptions, like resetting joints in case of dislocations. But for chronic pain sometimes you need the exposure to desensitise the pain receptors (pseudo science expl). You also have to load the tendons to stop the tendon generation, so basically you just have to suck it up and embrace the pain. But it's fine as long as it's not way too painful and the pain levels go back to "normal" after 24 hours. It's also key to let the tendons recover properly in between sessions for 48 hours, or for me it was even longer before they felt fully recovered. Obviously this is not for all injuries, but at least it seems to work for this kind of chronic tendon injury. 

This is fascinating.

on the other hand if both resting makes it hurt more, and using it makes it hurt more, than I'd rather be moving it. :P 

FOR SURE.

1 hour ago, raptron said:

This is fascinating.

Seconded!

21 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I still managed to do all my morning things, go me! I even did 5 minutes of abs to get some blood flow going after today's very slow yoga-esque warm up. I have a sort of basic warm up framework and then I modify depending on what I feel like or my activity and today's happened to be mostly trying to stretch out the post climbing DOMS. :P 

That's brilliant imo, new habit building up :)

On 1/2/2019 at 10:58 AM, Mad Hatter said:

I'M SO EXCITED - we're getting a lifting gym to the office. Squat rack + bench +  yoga mats for my handstand corner. :D Guess I'll be picking up powerlifting? (Because I really need more hobbies. :P)

Ahh awesome! Just to let you know, this post currently has 12 likes - this is how much support liftage has here haha.

I think you'd get a lot out of playing with squats - set up the rack safely and make sure you can bail with just the 20kg bar (if you can't then the rack isn't set up properly) and then put the weight up to 30kg and experiment with feet positions and feet width (I prefer pointing outwards about 25 degrees each, shoulder width apart) and getting the correct core engagement so your spine is nicely-stacked and it feels completely comfortable to stand up.

Then when you're happy with the technique try pushing the weight up - heavy back squats are a different feeling to other fitness things I've tried - very satisfying once you stand up and after a heavy set (e.g. 10 reps at a weight that's difficult) your thighs will feel gigantic (because of the blood flow it induces).

On 1/6/2019 at 7:49 AM, Mad Hatter said:

To bring it back to meditation - it's [...] minimally invasive [...]

:o So I've been doing it wrong all this time? I'll try it without the catheters next session...

On 1/6/2019 at 7:49 AM, Mad Hatter said:

I'm also used to having grip strength. :D

Grip strength comes and goes quickly, maybe because the muscles are smaller? I'm having the same problem now when I'm doing pull-ups. I still have plenty of height on them, but my fingers are fried after about 5... :(

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

after a heavy set (e.g. 10 reps at a weight that's difficult) your thighs will feel gigantic (because of the blood flow it induces).

And ass! I always feel the DOMS in my glutes after a good squatting session

17 hours ago, @mu said:

That's brilliant imo, new habit building up :)

It's such a new approach for me, doing the tiny not so shiny goal thing. But I already feel like this might actually be working. BRAIN SCIENCE YO!

7 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Ahh awesome! Just to let you know, this post currently has 12 likes - this is how much support liftage has here haha.

Well we've all seen @raptron's quads so obviously we like lifting.

I think you'd get a lot out of playing with squats - set up the rack safely and make sure you can bail with just the 20kg bar (if you can't then the rack isn't set up properly) and then put the weight up to 30kg and experiment with feet positions and feet width (I prefer pointing outwards about 25 degrees each, shoulder width apart) and getting the correct core engagement so your spine is nicely-stacked and it feels completely comfortable to stand up.

I think so too, I just need to find a good balance so I don't get killer DOMS each session!

I did play around with it a few years back and based on that I feel fairly confident that I have decent enough form to not hurt myself.

:o So I've been doing it wrong all this time? I'll try it without the catheters next session...

I think you'll find it a lot more comfortable.

4 hours ago, Tobbe said:

And ass! I always feel the DOMS in my glutes after a good squatting session

SQUAT BOOTY!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mad Hatter said:

SQUAT BOOTY!

If anyone ever needed it, it is me! (And my granddad - the "no ass" thing seems to run in the family...)

1 hour ago, Tobbe said:

If anyone ever needed it, it is me! (And my granddad - the "no ass" thing seems to run in the family...)

MOAR squats and MOAR food!

• Like 2

Yesterday I was pretty unfocused all day and kinda meh overall. But I still managed to make tiny good decisions and that felt really encouraging! Well except that I said yes to climbing even though technically I probably should've waited a bit longer after Monday's rehab session. :P BUT I did take it super easy! And I finished early to do some handstands, but only a few. Which are still terrible, so can they just please come back now?

Another Monday action

• Silly, but since I'm celebrating all small wins - I resisted the impulse to leave my bag + content scattered on the floor and cleaned it up. Only one or two things, but it adds up.

Yesterday's positive actions

• Meditated
  • Climbed responsibly ;) Plus mini HS sesh.
  • Didn't get a treat post climbing, which I neither needed or even particularly wanted
  • Didn't skip the carbs for dinner. Sometimes I do that out of sheer laziness because one more pot to clean, but since I learned that they're much needed for keeping the brain happy (serotonin yo!) I'm trying to make sure to not cut them out
  • Cleaned the kitchen after cooking though I didn't want to
  • Did a doodle exercise instead of spending time on the interwebz

Current stats

• Eat 2/7
  • Sleep 1/5 - I think I snoozed a little? Can't remember. But sleep is actually a bit of a struggle right now. I'm going to shift my wake up time a little later for now (6:30 - 7 am) because this is not working.
  • Move 2/7
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

since I learned that they're much needed for keeping the brain happy (serotonin yo!) I'm trying to make sure to not cut them out

Didn't know that.

Well except that I said yes to climbing even though technically I probably should've waited a bit longer after Monday's rehab session

And how are you feeling? Good?

Silly, but since I'm celebrating all small wins - I resisted the impulse to leave my bag + content scattered on the floor and cleaned it up. Only one or two things, but it adds up.

This is actually kind of a big deal to me. Getting past the "I'll just take care of it later" impulse is huge!

• Like 2

Yesterday I was pretty unfocused all day and kinda meh overall. But I still managed to make tiny good decisions and that felt really encouraging! Well except that I said yes to climbing even though technically I probably should've waited a bit longer after Monday's rehab session. :P BUT I did take it super easy! And I finished early to do some handstands, but only a few. Which are still terrible, so can they just please come back now?

Look at you and your MODERATION. :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, zenLara said:

Didn't know that.

And how are you feeling? Good?

It's not quite so simple, but basically carbs are important. :) 

No worse than usual, which is great!

1 minute ago, sylph said:

This is actually kind of a big deal to me. Getting past the "I'll just take care of it later" impulse is huge!

Same! Such a small thing but it has such a big impact overall.

• Like 1

Just now, raptron said:

Look at you and your MODERATION. :D

My friend just laughed and face palmed at me when I said I was going to be a responsible adult this year. I'm going to prove him wrong! :D 

• Like 4

• Silly, but since I'm celebrating all small wins - I resisted the impulse to leave my bag + content scattered on the floor and cleaned it up. Only one or two things, but it adds up.

Oh man, I'm so bad about this kind of stuff. "Ehhhh, it's just a little pile of stuff." Cleaning the kitchen too. "It'll keep until tomorrow." Good to break those habits. 

Climbing and meditation achieved!

15 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Oh man, I'm so bad about this kind of stuff. "Ehhhh, it's just a little pile of stuff." Cleaning the kitchen too. "It'll keep until tomorrow." Good to break those habits. 

It’s not an official goal this challenge but I am trying hard to break them. It’s one of those key habits, if my kitchen’s a mess I don’t want to cook and if my living room’s a mess I don’t want to move and do handstands etc. Instead I distract myself with my computer where I can’t see the mess. :P 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

It’s not an official goal this challenge but I am trying hard to break them. It’s one of those key habits, if my kitchen’s a mess I don’t want to cook and if my living room’s a mess I don’t want to move and do handstands etc. Instead I distract myself with my computer where I can’t see the mess. :P 

Right! It's a domino effect!

5 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I used to be SO guilty of this. Don't trivialize your win, getting your stuff organized is a pileup of lots of little actions over time.

Also, that pain management stuff is FASCINATING. I definitely wouldn't have thought that increasing the stress would help certain injuries.

Also also, love that proving someone wrong is a motivation for you to be a responsible adult this year - I'm totally guilty of the same.

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Silly, but since I'm celebrating all small wins

I was just coming in here to say this is not silly at all - nearly every big win is the aggregate result of a whole bunch of very small wins.

Apparently everyone else beat me to it, though...

Interesting point about having at least a small amount of carbs being important for serotonin... this surely is a factor why people who go on any calorie-restrictive diet find it intensely difficult.

On 1/8/2019 at 10:20 AM, Mad Hatter said:

For acute damage inducing more pain is usually bad. Though there's always exceptions, like resetting joints in case of dislocations. But for chronic pain sometimes you need the exposure to desensitise the pain receptors (pseudo science expl). You also have to load the tendons to stop the tendon generation, so basically you just have to suck it up and embrace the pain. But it's fine as long as it's not way too painful and the pain levels go back to "normal" after 24 hours. It's also key to let the tendons recover properly in between sessions for 48 hours, or for me it was even longer before they felt fully recovered. Obviously this is not for all injuries, but at least it seems to work for this kind of chronic tendon injury. It's not very pleasant, but on the other hand if both resting makes it hurt more, and using it makes it hurt more, than I'd rather be moving it. :P 

Thirding the fascination, wow! Is it like expanding a comfort zone maybe that would otherwise shrink further and further? And yes, moving is definitely the preferable option :D 

14 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Then when you're happy with the technique try pushing the weight up - heavy back squats are a different feeling to other fitness things I've tried - very satisfying once you stand up and after a heavy set (e.g. 10 reps at a weight that's difficult) your thighs will feel gigantic (because of the blood flow it induces).

Stealing this for myself beginner at lifting :ph34r:

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

It's such a new approach for me, doing the tiny not so shiny goal thing. But I already feel like this might actually be working. BRAIN SCIENCE YO!

YAY \o/

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

But I still managed to make tiny good decisions and that felt really encouraging!

aaaaaand again!! This is really becoming a new habit is it :) go you!

My friend just laughed and face palmed at me when I said I was going to be a responsible adult this year. I'm going to prove him wrong! :D 

You so will :D 

So much WIN! Also yayyyyyyyy handstands and climbing, especially with no bad effects, whoohooo

3 hours ago, zenLara said:

Didn't know that.

It's not quite so simple

Yeah, no kidding it's not so simple...

• Like 1

MOAR squats and MOAR food!

Trying to work my way towards pistol squats! I'm doing elevated pistols atm, but want to do proper ones of course :) 

I’ll get back to your comments, but it’s time to put away my devices so for now I’m just going to say

I TRIED A PARKOUR CLASS AND IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!

• Like 9