• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter and the Swamp Creatures

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I’ll get back to your comments, but it’s time to put away my devices so for now I’m just going to say

I TRIED A PARKOUR CLASS AND IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!

My oldest boy did parkour for a year. He never did get any good at it, but seeing what the other kids were capable of was really impressive! Looks so cool :)  

28 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I’ll get back to your comments, but it’s time to put away my devices so for now I’m just going to say

For the second time this month, WHERE IS THE LOVE BUTTON

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Oh, that's awesome! I've wanted to get into parkour for some years now, but don't feel like I have the strength and agility yet.

2 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

giphy.gif

:wub: Love Eyes  Smilies will have to do until we get that button :) 

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm glad you found something shiny to chase, I was getting worried you were running low on things you wanted to do :P 

Parkour can be soooo fun though :D 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I used to be SO guilty of this. Don't trivialize your win, getting your stuff organized is a pileup of lots of little actions over time.

Also, that pain management stuff is FASCINATING. I definitely wouldn't have thought that increasing the stress would help certain injuries.

Noted. :) 

It gets even more interesting when it comes to people with chronic pain post illness for example and placebo/nocebo effects. Super cool stuff!

20 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I was just coming in here to say this is not silly at all - nearly every big win is the aggregate result of a whole bunch of very small wins.

Apparently everyone else beat me to it, though...

It's worth repeating. Many times. ;) 

17 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Yeah, no kidding it's not so simple...

Maybe, I don't know, it's all very complex! There's so much information and honestly I'm a bit skeptical to this guy's interpretations as he's a chiropractor turned keto fanatic. I'm sure there are benefits for some people to go down that route, but in general I'm not buying into the super restrictive diets. At least not in the context of our culture.

All I know that my cravings go haywire and I feel more tired and heavy if I only eat fats and proteins which is not good for my mood. Though of course there's going to be a difference in hormonal response if the carbs come as part of a meal or say snacking on candy.

17 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Trying to work my way towards pistol squats! I'm doing elevated pistols atm, but want to do proper ones of course :) 

Cool!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tobbe said:

My oldest boy did parkour for a year. He never did get any good at it, but seeing what the other kids were capable of was really impressive! Looks so cool :)  

A year is a short time! It looks super cool when people are good at it. I looked more like this

giphy.gif

15 hours ago, Jett said:

Oh, that's awesome! I've wanted to get into parkour for some years now, but don't feel like I have the strength and agility yet.

It was actually surprisingly accessible so you should absolutely give it a go! Will write a summary next!

11 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I'm glad you found something shiny to chase, I was getting worried you were running low on things you wanted to do :P 

Sssshhhh :P 

16 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

You were part of the inspiration to try a new thing!

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm a bit skeptical to this guy's interpretations as he's a chiropractor turned keto fanatic

Good for you being skeptical Thumbs Up  And "fanatic" is definitely the right word :) And anyone can stand in front of a whiteboard and look smart. Add "Dr." to your title and many will just accept anything you say for the truth!

So. PARKOUR!

First of all the place that I went to was really nice and friendly and open to English speakers. A+ right there. It's really shitty being excluded from something because of language so I really appreciated that the teacher held the class in English, after having asked that everybody else was ok with it. She was also awesome at making sure that everyone had a suitable progression to work on and she was great at making the class fun while providing enough technique pointers both individually and to the group. Awesome!

Now to the actual class if you're curious what a noob level try out session might look like:

Spoiler

Warm up - my favourite kind with lots of fun movement drills

Pt I - partner drills

• One person stands on one leg trying to tap the partner's hand, that the partner then moves around in different positions
  • Similar exercise, but this time the person is in a crab/table top position and alternately tries to tap the partner's hand with their left leg, right leg, right arm, left arm etc.
  • Partner burpees - one person is in a plank position on the floor, and the partner jumps over the person, gets into a plank position and then it's the first person's turn to jump
  • Similar to the partner burpees, but instead of jumping over one person crawls under the planking person
  • Wheelbarrow walks - one person is in a plank position but with their feet held up by the partner and then you walk together like that across the floor. To make it harder the partner will occasionally let go of one foot so that the first person has to keep really tight.

Pt 2 - Floor is lava treasure hunt! So fun! This was an exercise to get familiar with the obstacles in the room and to play around obviously. There were a bunch of plastic rings hidden on top of, under and inside the obstacles and our job was to find them and touch them. The hardest for me was one where we had to balance on a railing a bit above knee height, squat down and touch a ring on the floor. This I couldn't do without help because my balance is apparently terrible. The most fun for me was one where I hung on to two parallel rails, doing a double heelhook kind of like this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIOMBVCaoSk6c2UKrAcvY

and tried to reach a ring just above the "tree branch". This was the most like climbing so obviously this was my comfort zone. 

Main lesson - the theme was directional changes and we did 3 exercises, but on multiple obstacles

• Turn vault
    HarmlessUnacceptableKestrel-size_restric
    I don't trust my jumping ability so I had to start off on a super low railing and use a foot to step up in my first tries, but then I got the hang of it. I also tried the next level progression which was to stand up on top of the railing while turning. Looks pretty cool when done smoothly, i.e. not me.
  • Tic tac
     tic-tac.gif
    This wasn't very difficult to perform, but difficult to control if that makes sense. Especially when you had to land on a specific thing. It's funny, even if the distance and height of the landing is exactly the same it becomes so much trickier when you have to land on top of something as opposed to landing on the floor.
  • And a third exercise that I don't know the name of and don't know what to google for :/ 
    Basically you run up to a wall, jump into a support hold, turn around 180 spinning on your butt and then jump down in the opposite direction. I really liked this one.

After that we worked on putting those moves together in a few different ways on different obstacles. Much trickier than the individual moves! And my concentration felt like it was slipping at this point. It was still tons of fun, but it was difficult to not make silly mistakes and forget things when there was more to think about.

Finally we worked on balance, walking on rails, then squatting down and turning. I could only do a half way turn, I think my brain was scared of falling backwards so I kept ending up with my weight to far forward when standing sideways on the rail.

Misc thoughts:

• My balance is worse than I thought
  • My coordination is as poor as I expected :P (but far from the worst in class!)
  • Would be an awesome complement to climbing to help with coordination moves and dynos and not being a scaredy cat
  • I felt so much more comfortable on obstacles where I had stuff to grip and swing off of as opposed to using my legs and balance
  • Way out of my comfort zone! 
  • Super fun!
  • I can live with this kind of cardio
  • Precise landings are very difficult and mess with my head
  • It's very satisfying to attempt to be brave...
  • ...hough not like one of the guys who felt comfortable balancing on a rail about 2.5 meters above the floor, putting his head say 4 m above the floor. I'd be shitting my pants.
  • Really nice and supportive atmosphere, both the teachers and the students
  • I'd LOVE to take class but I think all classes that fit might already be full...

• Like 10

Wooaa!! Looks fun! I tried parkour once but it was an indoor taster session with a big monkey bar sort of cage, we were too many on it and I got more bruised than fun out of it.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

I can live with this kind of cardio

That cracked me up :lol:

48 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Oh my gosh, I want to do that class so bad.  I even looked up parkour classes/gyms in Beijing but they don't have any yet :( 

It's quite popular in Tehran, but people will get together informally, I don't think there are classes as such. Word of mouth works better here for these sort of things. Did you ask around as well / checked social media in your area (eg parkour accounts, and ask where do you train) ?

I'm so excited to hear how this goes! I hope you'll stick with it just to share with us vicariously. :)

Did I tell you (I'm sure I did) how I tried a parkour class one time, and showed up and they told me it was a kids' class, but I could do it anyway, so I took parkour with a group of ten-year-olds?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

All I know that my cravings go haywire and I feel more tired and heavy if I only eat fats and proteins which is not good for my mood. Though of course there's going to be a difference in hormonal response if the carbs come as part of a meal or say snacking on candy.

My body also loves carbs and runs SO MUCH better with them, both performance-wise and emotionally.

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Misc thoughts:

• My balance is worse than I thought
  • My coordination is as poor as I expected :P (but far from the worst in class!)
  • Would be an awesome complement to climbing to help with coordination moves and dynos and not being a scaredy cat
  • I felt so much more comfortable on obstacles where I had stuff to grip and swing off of as opposed to using my legs and balance
  • Way out of my comfort zone! 
  • Super fun!
  • I can live with this kind of cardio
  • Precise landings are very difficult and mess with my head
  • It's very satisfying to attempt to be brave...
  • ...hough not like one of the guys who felt comfortable balancing on a rail about 2.5 meters above the floor, putting his head say 4 m above the floor. I'd be shitting my pants.
  • Really nice and supportive atmosphere, both the teachers and the students
  • I'd LOVE to take class but I think all classes that fit might already be full...

I love all of these thoughts except that the classes might be full. :[

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Oh my gosh, I want to do that class so bad.  I even looked up parkour classes/gyms in Beijing but they don't have any yet :( 

Shame! You would LOVE it!

2 hours ago, @mu said:

Wooaa!! Looks fun! I tried parkour once but it was an indoor taster session with a big monkey bar sort of cage, we were too many on it and I got more bruised than fun out of it.

That cracked me up :lol:

Pity, that does not sound fun at all...

That was probably more running in one session that I've done in the past year. :D 

2 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Did I tell you (I'm sure I did) how I tried a parkour class one time, and showed up and they told me it was a kids' class, but I could do it anyway, so I took parkour with a group of ten-year-olds?

Haha I remember, still hilarious. :lol: I was very careful here to sign up for an old people's class. Well technically it's 15+ so there's the risk of disgustingly good teenagers. :/

1 hour ago, raptron said:

My body also loves carbs and runs SO MUCH better with them, both performance-wise and emotionally.

Mhhmm. That's why I need to be better at not skipping them. I feel like I'm probably the only one that "avoids" carbs because it involves more cleaning. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Damn girl 6 pages already! I have no hope of catching up so I'm just gonna dive right in.

The parkour class sounds so fun!! Those partner burpees even sound tolerable??

Oh btw I did it I signed up!!! :o And I might have signed up for a morning acro class as well because I have no self control even though I'm supposed to be a responsible adult now. :hopelessness: 

BUT WHO CARES I'M SO EXCITED!!! DOING SCARY THINGS YO! It's going to be great and terrifying and awesome. :D 

• Like 10

Just now, Raxie said:

Damn girl 6 pages already! I have no hope of catching up so I'm just gonna dive right in.

The parkour class sounds so fun!! Those partner burpees even sound tolerable??

Hiiii! :D 

They were actually really fun! There's also such a huge difference between doing burpees of whatever kind as a quick warm up as opposed to killing yourself.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

And I might have signed up for a morning acro class as well because I have no self control

I feel youuuuu - this is me and dance classes hahah

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh btw I did it I signed up!!! :o And I might have signed up for a morning acro class as well because I have no self control even though I'm supposed to be a responsible adult now. :hopelessness: 

:surprise: so exciting!!! Acro is really fun !!! (ok I had a poor parkour taster, but I'd be willing to try again :P)

And it's very responsible because all those activities will involve a bit more push than climbing, so it will balance you out nicely :D

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Raxie said:

I feel youuuuu - this is me and dance classes hahah

I'm actually considering taking a dance class this term too. :hopelessness: I miss dancing so much!

2 minutes ago, @mu said:

:surprise: so exciting!!! Acro is really fun !!! (ok I had a poor parkour taster, but I'd be willing to try again :P)

And it's very responsible because all those activities will involve a bit more push than climbing, so it will balance you out nicely :D

It is! Also very much out of my comfort zone too, but that's only good for me! I'd love to be able to get more comfy with dynamic movement this year. My secret plan is to not tell my friends about my parkour/acro stuff and then be like BAAMMM I CAN JUMP AND DYNO NOW BITCHES! In reality I'll most likely crack and gush all about it though. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Ok I just sat down to write down a schedule before everything explodes.

And I think this could actually work? I'd obviously have to ease into it and not add everything at once, but I don't think it looks completely ridiculous... 

Monday Strength a.m., parkour evening

Tuesday Flex a.m., possibly dancing p.m.

Wednesday Acro a.m, climbing p.m. 

Thursday Flex a.m.

Friday Strength a.m. 

Saturday Climbing

Sunday REST

Plus a bit of handstands and flow stuff sprinkled in obviously. ;) 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, @mu said:

SECRET TRAINING FTW :ph34r::D

I mean if I could just get to a point where I'm averagely bad at dynos as opposed to appallingly bad that'd be pretty sweet.