• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter and the Swamp Creatures

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ok I just sat down to write down a schedule before everything explodes.

 

What's your plan for strength?

New movement is a killer, somebody's gonna get sore :D maybe have a deload / low intensity week every so often (planning it could help)?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, @mu said:

What's your plan for strength?

New movement is a killer, somebody's gonna get sore :D maybe have a deload / low intensity week every so often (planning it could help)?

Haven't thought that far ahead. :D But something very minimal as it would really be more about injury prevention and having a bit of fun at the office than trying to get really strong. A few sets of squats, a few sets of deadlifts and some glute work for the lower body? Plus perhaps some pull-ups and push-ups? Oh and I don't know if you've seen it but cirque physio has a weightlifting and circus series on at the moment (timing, eh?) so I might take some inspiration from there.

 

Speaking of, @KB Girl we were talking about OHPs the other day and in this IG live thingy she mentioned that contortionists and people with hyper mobile shoulders in general could benefit from OHPs not so much for strength but for proprioceptive awareness. You seemed to be less keen on OHPs and I was curious whether you think she has a point there or if you disagree?

 

For sure deloads are going to be a thing. Because I'm responsible dammit! :lol: I put one in the calendar just now. 

And yes I'm going to be terribly sore for a while. :P I didn't think I did that much yesterday but I can definitely feel it in odd places. Mostly abs and armpits. And groin haha. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Armpits and groin, hahaha :D

 

Your schedule looks possible! Soo excited :) Do post a lot about it because I want to live vicariously through you. 

(also way to go putting a reload in the calendar!) 

 

43 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Speaking of, @KB Girl we were talking about OHPs the other day and in this IG live thingy she mentioned that contortionists and people with hyper mobile shoulders in general could benefit from OHPs not so much for strength but for proprioceptive awareness. You seemed to be less keen on OHPs and I was curious whether you think she has a point there or if you disagree?

I can definitely imagine it adding to proprioceptive awareness if you've never worked overhead a lot.. It's a risk/benefit balance thing you've gotta figure out there! But if people are doing contortionists stuff then yea improving proprioceptive awareness (ok that word is so much easier in dutch, pff) is a very good idea. I'd do some strength training in other areas first, especially for hypermobile shoulders. And go very easy on the weight.. And use dumbbells or kettlebells instead of barbells because the OH shoulder position is much friendlier AND it'll benefit proprioception (can I write it like that?) more anyway to have the loose weights. 

Hyper mobile people in general I wouldn't necessarily go there, if they came to us just for strength training. We have two girls in rehab now, one with a shoulder that dislocated too often and is pretty much a mess and then a hyper mobile girl that has chronic shoulder pain.. learning to use the shoulder properly* and strengthening the general area- there is so much work to do on that before they'd need a progression like going OH. 

*you'd be AMAZED how many people have absolutely zero control over what their shoulders are doing and how many have a shoulder blade that's just doing nothing to help/initiate movement. I can imagine eventually going OH with those people, but that'd be literally years into their training. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahhh, yay! So exciting!

 

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Wednesday Acro a.m, climbing p.m. 

This is the only thing sending up a flag for me. Isn't acro usually very grip intensive?

 

I'm dumb. Acro is the NON grippy kind of circus. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, raptron said:

My body also loves carbs and runs SO MUCH better with them, both performance-wise and emotionally.

SAME!! I am a grumpy monster version of myself when undercarbed.

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Mhhmm. That's why I need to be better at not skipping them. I feel like I'm probably the only one that "avoids" carbs because it involves more cleaning. :D 

...I totally have been there. Now, I meal prep to overwhelm my lazy and have ready to eat carbs like bread for toast always on hand.

 

Also, speaking of carbs and co-worker food discussions (not this thread, but pretty sure you've mentioned it in the past), keto diets and carb avoidance came up at lunch today and I just had to bite my tongue SO HARD because I don't yet know the group dynamics and what's acceptable.

 

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh btw I did it I signed up!!! :o And I might have signed up for a morning acro class as well because I have no self control even though I'm supposed to be a responsible adult now. :hopelessness: 

BUT WHO CARES I'M SO EXCITED!!! DOING SCARY THINGS YO! It's going to be great and terrifying and awesome. :D 

LOVE IT!!!! You seem to thrive on doing all the things, and this gives you some planned variety which is probs good?

 

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ok I just sat down to write down a schedule before everything explodes.

 

And I think this could actually work? I'd obviously have to ease into it and not add everything at once, but I don't think it looks completely ridiculous... 

 

Monday Strength a.m., parkour evening

Tuesday Flex a.m., possibly dancing p.m.

Wednesday Acro a.m, climbing p.m. 

Thursday Flex a.m.

Friday Strength a.m. 

Saturday Climbing

Sunday REST

 

Plus a bit of handstands and flow stuff sprinkled in obviously. ;) 

That actually looks really sane. But my schedule is bonkers (dance and gym both 6x / week, though there's some intensity modulation in there), so I may just be coming at it from an extremely biased viewpoint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, @mu said:

It's quite popular in Tehran, but people will get together informally, I don't think there are classes as such. Word of mouth works better here for these sort of things. Did you ask around as well / checked social media in your area (eg parkour accounts, and ask where do you train) ?

Yeah :(  Apparently there was a group that trained not too far from my house but they got shut down.  There are still a few groups that train in Beijing, but the nearest two both meet at places more than an hour drive each way

 

17 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

And I might have signed up for a morning acro class

Love it.  You are really getting out there and doing so much fun stuff.  Just be careful you don't burn yourself out (both physically and socially)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

There are still a few groups that train in Beijing, but the nearest two both meet at places more than an hour drive each way

 

If I drive for an hour I get 100 km/60 miles from home. Passing three cities along the way. You, you're still in the same city :D 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Your schedule looks possible! Soo excited :) Do post a lot about it because I want to live vicariously through you. 

(also way to go putting a reload in the calendar!) 

 

I can definitely imagine it adding to proprioceptive awareness if you've never worked overhead a lot.. It's a risk/benefit balance thing you've gotta figure out there! But if people are doing contortionists stuff then yea improving proprioceptive awareness (ok that word is so much easier in dutch, pff) is a very good idea. I'd do some strength training in other areas first, especially for hypermobile shoulders. And go very easy on the weight.. And use dumbbells or kettlebells instead of barbells because the OH shoulder position is much friendlier AND it'll benefit proprioception (can I write it like that?) more anyway to have the loose weights. 

Hyper mobile people in general I wouldn't necessarily go there, if they came to us just for strength training. We have two girls in rehab now, one with a shoulder that dislocated too often and is pretty much a mess and then a hyper mobile girl that has chronic shoulder pain.. learning to use the shoulder properly* and strengthening the general area- there is so much work to do on that before they'd need a progression like going OH. 

*you'd be AMAZED how many people have absolutely zero control over what their shoulders are doing and how many have a shoulder blade that's just doing nothing to help/initiate movement. I can imagine eventually going OH with those people, but that'd be literally years into their training. 

Will do. :D 

 

Thanks for the very thoughtful comments about OHP - it makes a lot of sense. My shoulders are very mobile, technically hypermobile I guess but for me it's weird to call them that since I don't have pathologically lax shoulders? But anyway, based on when I played around with dumbbell OHPs this summer I can completely understand why you wouldn't have people do them. I feel like while I could control a low weight, can't remember if it was 8 or 12 kg,  it was difficult and required a lot of concentration to keep everything in place and that it would be very easy to slip up and hurt myself if I did more reps or at a higher intensity. But that's me, I've also seen the super lax people in various circus class and it's almost scary how little control they have!

 

17 hours ago, raptron said:

Ahhh, yay! So exciting!

 

This is the only thing sending up a flag for me. Isn't acro usually very grip intensive?

 

I'm dumb. Acro is the NON grippy kind of circus. :rolleyes:

Haha yes it's your flippety flip kind of acro. :D Well, except that for me it's more like roly polys and cartwheels. ;) 

 

14 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

SAME!! I am a grumpy monster version of myself when undercarbed.

...I totally have been there. Now, I meal prep to overwhelm my lazy and have ready to eat carbs like bread for toast always on hand.

 

Also, speaking of carbs and co-worker food discussions (not this thread, but pretty sure you've mentioned it in the past), keto diets and carb avoidance came up at lunch today and I just had to bite my tongue SO HARD because I don't yet know the group dynamics and what's acceptable.

 

LOVE IT!!!! You seem to thrive on doing all the things, and this gives you some planned variety which is probs good?

 

That actually looks really sane. But my schedule is bonkers (dance and gym both 6x / week, though there's some intensity modulation in there), so I may just be coming at it from an extremely biased viewpoint.

Good call!

 

Oh I go full on anti-food police these days. #nofilter ;) I just stopped caring what people think.

 

Variety is the plan! At least for the next half year I just want to build my body up to what it used to be, but more balanced, and not even think about trying to get "good" at anything. I also want to have more free time in the evenings to pursue other interests. So I don't want to have a completely bonkers schedule at this point. Though there's still a bunch of stuff I'd like to add. :P  

 

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yeah :(  Apparently there was a group that trained not too far from my house but they got shut down.  There are still a few groups that train in Beijing, but the nearest two both meet at places more than an hour drive each way

 

Love it.  You are really getting out there and doing so much fun stuff.  Just be careful you don't burn yourself out (both physically and socially)

Rubbish.

 

I won't start everything at once, but gradually increase the load. :) Should be alright though, it's only two classes a week, and two climbing sessions a week, the rest is at home or at work.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Variety is the plan! At least for the next half year I just want to build my body up to what it used to be, but more balanced, and not even think about trying to get "good" at anything.

YES! Such a good idea \o/ 

 

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Thanks for the very thoughtful comments about OHP - it makes a lot of sense. My shoulders are very mobile, technically hypermobile I guess but for me it's weird to call them that since I don't have pathologically lax shoulders? But anyway, based on when I played around with dumbbell OHPs this summer I can completely understand why you wouldn't have people do them. I feel like while I could control a low weight, can't remember if it was 8 or 12 kg,  it was difficult and required a lot of concentration to keep everything in place and that it would be very easy to slip up and hurt myself if I did more reps or at a higher intensity. But that's me, I've also seen the super lax people in various circus class and it's almost scary how little control they have!

Yea it's really scary sometimes! It's definitely something that can be trained, but you have to know what you're doing.. and it'd still be better to start with something overhead that's not an OHpress. Hanging for example :P

I think it's technically only called hypermobile if you have 5 joints that can overstretch.. (for example, I only have elbows).. or maybe you could still call a single joint hypermobile while not being "a hypermobile person"? mmm? x) Ever had problems with your shoulders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got so distracted by all the parkour talk that I forgot to update about other things! 

 

Not so many positive actions, but the ones I did were big and time and/or energy consuming.

 

Wednesday

- Parkour obviously!

 

Thursday

- Signing up for parkour ;) 

- Job interview thingy, which unfortunately ended up a disaster. The interviewer was working from home and his kid was SO FRICKIN' LOUD I couldn't concentrate at all. I think that parents often forget that other people do not have the ability to filter out loud, obnoxious sounds. My head was seriously pounding afterwards. That combined with a not so great phone line, which wasn't even a video call, made the whole thing rather weird and uncomfortable and I didn't feel like I could present myself from my best side at all. 90% of my concentration went to trying to hear past the noise rather than you know, coming up with good answers and having a nice chat and showing him that actually I think I could do a good job... Oh well.

 

Friday

- Surprisingly high focus at work today

- Beer and dinner with a friend. :) You know how I was just saying that I wanted to do parkour so I could gain some secret sneaky dyno skills for climbing? And that I would probably crack? Well, I almost did. But then he made fun of me for my handstands and in return I made fun of him for getting obsessed with getting really good at foosball for no other reason than to bother people at work. And then he asked me if it wouldn't be worth doing x activity for a few months just to rock up one day and kick butt and annoy people? Yep, totally worth it. Now if that's not a sign to not crack then I don't know what is haha. 

 

Current stats

  • Eat 5/7
  • Sleep 1/5 has been a disaster. Today I just gave up and decided to sleep for however long I wanted, because the past few night I haven't been able to fall asleep on time, either because of post training hype or simply because I haven't been tired early enough. And getting enough sleep is more important than waking up early. I'll figure it out eventually!
  • Move 5/7
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

And then he asked me if it wouldn't be worth doing x activity for a few months just to rock up one day and kick butt and annoy people? Yep, totally worth it. Now if that's not a sign to not crack then I don't know what is haha. 

hahaha xD 

we shall need pictures of his face during the big reveal ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Yea it's really scary sometimes! It's definitely something that can be trained, but you have to know what you're doing.. and it'd still be better to start with something overhead that's not an OHpress. Hanging for example :P

 I think it's technically only called hypermobile if you have 5 joints that can overstretch.. (for example, I only have elbows).. or maybe you could still call a single joint hypermobile while not being "a hypermobile person"? mmm? x) Ever had problems with your shoulders?

Pressing is so different from hanging though! For me it felt like an interesting challenge, buuut I'd much rather do handstands. :D 

 

The naming conventions are pretty rubbish IMO. You can have single hypermobile joints, either naturally or after an injury, or you can "be" hypermobile/have hypermobility syndrome, for which there is a scale, which is also pretty rubbish. Like one of the tests is putting your palms flat on the ground which really says nothing at all. But even if your joints are more lax than average it doesn't mean that it's pathological. There's a humongous difference between someone that has a serious connective tissue disorders and someone that just has very flexible joints but can still control them. Most of my joints are a little lax, but I've never had serious issues like dislocations or anything like that so I feel like the term is a little bit too... dramatic for me, if that makes sense? 

When it comes to my shoulders I haven't had any issues except that occasionally they can feel mildly impinged if my muscles are tight. And I *think* my pelvis sometimes subluxes a tiny bit when I sit too much, at least that's the running theory to explain the occasional very deep, loud clonk in my hip as it goes back into place. And for the longest time I couldn't figure out why my arms looked so weird in the mirror until I realised it's because they hyperextend. :D But really for me all it means is that if I want to train flexibility I have to do more strengthening and stabilising compared to other people, everything else is absolutely fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

hahaha xD 

we shall need pictures of his face during the big reveal ;)

I think the only difference would be that he wouldn't laugh at me *quite* so much at my attempts. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Oh I go full on anti-food police these days. #nofilter ;) I just stopped caring what people think.

It's my first week on the job and it wasn't directed at me (it was more people self-directing at themselves, and I feel like that is something where any commentary on it won't work until you know someone's ready to hear it, if you know what I mean?). But if shit comes my way, you better believe the SCIENCE is coming out (along with pulling up some graphs on Instagram, probably).

 

Quote

Variety is the plan! At least for the next half year I just want to build my body up to what it used to be, but more balanced, and not even think about trying to get "good" at anything. I also want to have more free time in the evenings to pursue other interests. So I don't want to have a completely bonkers schedule at this point. Though there's still a bunch of stuff I'd like to add. :P 

:P how very adult of you! Gradual increases to a bonkers schedule.

 

Quote

I won't start everything at once, but gradually increase the load. :) Should be alright though, it's only two classes a week, and two climbing sessions a week, the rest is at home or at work.

OOH I didn't realize how much of that schedule you could do at home or work (though it's obvious in retrospect that flexibility can be done at home and strength is at work). Awesomeness!

 

That interview sounds like a NIGHTMARE. I don't think anyone would be able to present the best version of themselves in that situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

At least for the next half year I just want to build my body up to what it used to be, but more balanced, and not even think about trying to get "good" at anything.

This sounds a lot like my long term training doctrine :D 

 

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

And then he asked me if it wouldn't be worth doing x activity for a few months just to rock up one day and kick butt and annoy people? Yep, totally worth it.

I always think that when I I'm just getting started, but that motivation soon wears off and I end up just going back to my normal routine :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 10:47 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Oh and I don't know if you've seen it but cirque physio has a weightlifting and circus series on at the moment (timing, eh?) so I might take some inspiration from there.

 

Oh yes I saw it and I forgot about it, she gave a Pacific time I think and I didn't convert immediately when I read it so it didn't stick... I hope there will be a playback somewhere. Did you get any ideas?

 

My 2 preferred lifts are deads and OHP (or anything overhead, like ovh squats, Turkish get-ups..). My arm bones connect in a funny way but I think my joints are more or less all right :D

 

Bah, that's a pity for the interview. Did you tell him / hint that you could not hear him so well?

 

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

And then he asked me if it wouldn't be worth doing x activity for a few months just to rock up one day and kick butt and annoy people? Yep, totally worth it.

 

Hahaha, rolling on the floor :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2019 at 2:26 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Oh my gosh, I want to do that class so bad.  I even looked up parkour classes/gyms in Beijing but they don't have any yet :( 

Had the same impression. Everything about that class sounded fun! Maybe is my time to look that up too :D

 

On 1/10/2019 at 7:01 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Ok I just sat down to write down a schedule before everything explodes.

2019 starts strong!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

It's my first week on the job and it wasn't directed at me (it was more people self-directing at themselves, and I feel like that is something where any commentary on it won't work until you know someone's ready to hear it, if you know what I mean?). But if shit comes my way, you better believe the SCIENCE is coming out (along with pulling up some graphs on Instagram, probably).

 

:P how very adult of you! Gradual increases to a bonkers schedule.

 

OOH I didn't realize how much of that schedule you could do at home or work (though it's obvious in retrospect that flexibility can be done at home and strength is at work). Awesomeness!

 

That interview sounds like a NIGHTMARE. I don't think anyone would be able to present the best version of themselves in that situation.

Fair enough!

 

Haha I'm trying. :P I really want to try to prove to my climbing friends that by climbing less, introducing more training variety and resting more I can actually improve my climbing skills. Time will tell!

 

Yes it shouldn't affect my scheduling too much, with this schedule I'll only have 3 evenings away from home, though of course I'll probably tweak it.

 

16 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This sounds a lot like my long term training doctrine :D 

 

I always think that when I I'm just getting started, but that motivation soon wears off and I end up just going back to my normal routine :( 

Haha indeed! And you're doing well on it so why not!

 

I think it's easier for me since I'll be taking class once a week. All I need to do is turn up and stay quiet. ;) 

 

14 hours ago, @mu said:

Oh yes I saw it and I forgot about it, she gave a Pacific time I think and I didn't convert immediately when I read it so it didn't stick... I hope there will be a playback somewhere. Did you get any ideas?

 

My 2 preferred lifts are deads and OHP (or anything overhead, like ovh squats, Turkish get-ups..). My arm bones connect in a funny way but I think my joints are more or less all right :D

 

Bah, that's a pity for the interview. Did you tell him / hint that you could not hear him so well?

 

 

Hahaha, rolling on the floor :lol:

Not really tbh. Just a confirmation that doing something is better than nothing and that deadlifts are cool.

 

Neat! Deadlifts will for sure be in the routine, they really do seem to be universally recognised as awesome for just about anyone.

 

A few times, but I'm not sure it went through...

 

Stealth mode activated. :lol:

 

1 hour ago, zenLara said:

Had the same impression. Everything about that class sounded fun! Maybe is my time to look that up too :D

 

2019 starts strong!

Do it!

 

Yeah, I'm feeling really optimistic about this year! But it feels like more than just new year's resolutions, it's more like the slow shift that's been happening over the past few months has now finally turned into action. At least I hope so. :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today was a good day. I had a friend over for brunch again, and it was lovely! This might become a new tradition as it turns out I really enjoy cooking for people! And brunch is super chill, low effort hosting and everyone's happy because bacon. 

 

The only problem was that I forgot to have breakfast and I ended up practically wilting away while waiting for the food to get ready. Or rather, I didn't forget, but all I could think about was the frittata I was going to make, which crowded out all other breakfast thoughts. And in my head it was going to happen soon, but in reality we didn't end up eating until past 2 pm haha. So that was a fail, but a very good reminder why I have eating breakfast as a goal this challenge. 

 

Then climbing! I managed to do two routes that I couldn't do last time, made progress on a third one I couldn't do and bumped up my current max grade to 6B. I love these noob gains! And my elbow is still feeling good. I do still get pooped a lot faster, but then I worked on some handstands instead. The stats are sloooowly improving, today I managed 5/25 holds. Plus a few sets of kick ups to tuck HS and then back down again, and a set of press walks.

 

Positive actions

- Brunch

- Climbing

- Handstands

- Took the long way to the store to enjoy the sun and the snow

- Meditated (forgot to write that up the past few days, but I still haven't broken my streak)

- Dance morning warm up

 

Current stats

  • Eat 5/7
  • Sleep 1/5
  • Move 6/7
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2019 at 3:34 PM, Mad Hatter said:

I made fun of him for getting obsessed with getting really good at foosball for no other reason than to bother people at work. And then he asked me if it wouldn't be worth doing x activity for a few months just to rock up one day and kick butt and annoy people? Yep, totally worth it. Now if that's not a sign to not crack then I don't know what is haha. Move 5/7

Ahahah, so sneaky.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Writing out your positive actions like that is really so nice to see :)

I also really enjoy cooking for people, a good reminder, thanks! We've been on such a tight budget that I really couldn't invite people over for dinner, but brunch, yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my goodness, I have far too much school work to properly read everything, but I saw puffins and parkour and I'm sure you can get this beginner's mindset thing down and rock 2019 like the badass you are <3 <3 <3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now