Mad Hatter and the Swamp Creatures

On 1/12/2019 at 9:21 PM, Elastigirl said:

What a fun idea to fix brunch for your friends

Yeah!

On 1/12/2019 at 11:35 PM, raptron said:

Ahahah, so sneaky.

:ph34r:

On 1/13/2019 at 12:53 AM, KB Girl said:

Writing out your positive actions like that is really so nice to see :)

I also really enjoy cooking for people, a good reminder, thanks! We've been on such a tight budget that I really couldn't invite people over for dinner, but brunch, yes. 

I like it too! :) 

I’m just going to ask my friends to get me an occasional beer or pick up some groceries, especially if we’re going to try to make it a tradition.

On 1/13/2019 at 3:01 AM, tourennatrix said:

Oh my goodness, I have far too much school work to properly read everything, but I saw puffins and parkour and I'm sure you can get this beginner's mindset thing down and rock 2019 like the badass you are <3 <3 <3

Wheee so happy to see you again! <3 Are you going to challenge? :) 

On 1/13/2019 at 8:29 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Brunch sounds like a great new tradition.  All the fun of dinner socializing, but so much less pressure :) 

Exactly! And I don’t even have to wear proper clothes at that time. ;) 

• Like 1

I find hosting brunch to just be a lot more fun and less formal than dinner. Plus, brunch foods tend to be cuter and have more pastry elements, so I love 'em. AND THERE IS OFTEN DAYLIGHT! Precious daylight. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:47 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Haha I'm trying. :P I really want to try to prove to my climbing friends that by climbing less, introducing more training variety and resting more I can actually improve my climbing skills. Time will tell!

Consider me deeply invested in hearing updates!

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:03 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Today was a good day. I had a friend over for brunch again, and it was lovely! This might become a new tradition as it turns out I really enjoy cooking for people! And brunch is super chill, low effort hosting and everyone's happy because bacon. 

Love it!!! Such a fun way to get social time and have it be low stress. Also, nobody feels pressure to dress nice for brunch parties, which is great.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:03 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Then climbing! I managed to do two routes that I couldn't do last time, made progress on a third one I couldn't do and bumped up my current max grade to 6B. I love these noob gains! And my elbow is still feeling good. I do still get pooped a lot faster, but then I worked on some handstands instead. The stats are sloooowly improving, today I managed 5/25 holds. Plus a few sets of kick ups to tuck HS and then back down again, and a set of press walks.

WOOO NOOB GAINS!!! Love reading what sounds like a positive attitude about getting back into climbing and hand balancing too!

13 minutes ago, raptron said:

I find hosting brunch to just be a lot more fun and less formal than dinner. Plus, brunch foods tend to be cuter and have more pastry elements, so I love 'em. AND THERE IS OFTEN DAYLIGHT! Precious daylight. 

Exactly! And I often basically do the same thing when I'm on my own anyway.

5 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Consider me deeply invested in hearing updates!

Love it!!! Such a fun way to get social time and have it be low stress. Also, nobody feels pressure to dress nice for brunch parties, which is great.

WOOO NOOB GAINS!!! Love reading what sounds like a positive attitude about getting back into climbing and hand balancing too!  

But of course. :) I'm quite curious if it will work myself.

Yup! Not that we ever bother to dress nicely. :P But since it's my weekend and my home and I'm busy cooking I feel quite comfy to wear yoga pants or whatever.

Yeah it's so nice to not put pressure on myself! I think this injury has put a bit of perspective on things, like grades etc. Hopefully I can keep it going for a while.

• Like 4

Yesterday was a bit of a flop. I had the greatest intentions but then nothing happened. :P I forgot about my morning warm up and went for a long walk instead. When I got home I felt a bit tired so I thought I'd chill for a little while, but I ended in the YouTube vortex of doom and suddenly I lost the entire day. Oh well.

Oh I did one thing, I checked out my new flexy programme's website! The course hasn't technically started but their developers are honestly a bit shit and they hadn't even turned off access so I got a sneak peek. ;) And by sneak peak I mean I managed to go through most of the course material and assessments haha. They took quite a long time to do so I'm rather happy that I can start properly tomorrow morning!

While the assessments didn't point out anything I didn't know or at least suspect, it was very interesting to get objective numbers and it did confirm how bad some things are! Hip rotation I'm looking at you. The only thing I was surprised by is that my active and passive flexibility is actually pretty close these days, except for middle splits which is OMG terrible. I suspect that had I been warm it would look quite different though with a more exaggerated difference. But even if my flexibility is terrible (for me) right now, it's a good place to start from and I'm excited about the programme! What I've seen so far looks very promising, but it was still in very much a WIP state when I looked haha.

Sunday's positive actions

• Meditated
  • Long walk
  • Cleaned kitchen with much reluctance and took out gross trash
  • Flexy assessment

Week 1 stats

• Eat 6/7
  • Sleep 1/5
  • Move 6/7

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Rest days are necessary, buddy. Don't beat yourself up over that!

Well I didn’t really need a rest day for my brain. :P I don’t mind having a lazy day but yesterday it just felt wasteful.

I think I'm considering either starting a battle log, or just seeing how well I can balance school and keeping up with all yous guys if it goes well I might have a challenge prepared for next month :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

You sound so much more positive and enthusiastic about climbing than you have in a while! It's so great to hear.

I've shared my favorite guided meditation with you, right?

It's so refreshing coming in with a beginner, pressure free mindset! But it's also just soooooo nice to be able to move freely again. It's been a long ass time.

Ha I like the sound of it! :D

50 minutes ago, tourennatrix said:

I think I'm considering either starting a battle log, or just seeing how well I can balance school and keeping up with all yous guys emoji14.png if it goes well I might have a challenge prepared for next month :)

Battle log! We wanna keep up with you toooooo!

2 hours ago, raptron said:

Remind me what program you're doing? :)

Ah sorry I think I've been pretty vague with the details! It's CirquePhysio's aka Jen Crane's new program MyFlex (terrible name, the worst thing is that I "know" the guy in Sweden who came up with it from pole haha.) Anyway, the cool thing about this program is that you start off by doing a bunch of physio style assessments and then you get a custom program for pike, hip extension, shoulders and upper back and middle/straddle split based on the measurements. It includes muscle and joint mobilisations, nerve mobilisations, "classic" stretches and active flexibility strengthening drills with regressions and progressions depending on what you need. Then you do the program for 3-4 months and reassess and get a new program. Neat eh?

I have some of her active flexibility programs but while a lot of the exercises are awesome I found they take a very long time, some things I don't need (like nerve mobilisations) and some things are doable but perhaps would be more efficient if they were easier. And it doesn't include actual stretching. So this is a lot more targeted and encompassing. I mean I'm sure that I could have put together something myself had I tried, but I feel like my underpants collection is just too large and overwhelming at this point and I'd end up with a 4 hour program or nothing. :D So following something and not second guessing myself will be quite nice I think.

• Like 4

GUYS PARKOUR IS SO FUN! 

Class today was awesome again. I'm not sure why and I ain't complaining, but we were only 3 women - and 2 coaches in class so there was lots of attention and plenty of practice time. They held the class in English again which was great, I don't think they quite realise how much more including and welcoming it is. They also teach in a way that makes it very fun, very accessible and non-scary. We started off with some warm up games, these are the ones I can remember:

Spoiler
  • One person taps the floor and the other has to put their hand on that spot and then touch their forehead to the floor.
  • Human twister: Again, one person taps the floor, and the other has to place one limb on that spot, alternating left hand, right hand, right foot, left foot
  • "Mirror" game: I don't know why it's called mirror game, it doesn't make sense, but the coach stands on one side of the room with the back towards everyone else standing on the other side of the room. The aim is to reach the coach and tap her back. As long as the coach can't see everyone is free to move, but as soon as she turns around everyone has to freeze on the spot. Variations:
    • Weight on at least one arm
    • Standing on one foot
    • Standing on one foot with the foot above the knees
    • Floor is lava
    • Floor is lava can't use the hands

Then the theme of the day was vaults. I really enjoyed the way that it was structured, it was very step by step, but not in the way that "here are the rules, do it right" rather they make it very exploratory. In a way it's a bit hard on my brain because I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING, on the other hand it's also good for me to simply try things out and the minimal cueing is interesting. More details for the interested:

Spoiler
  • First we simply had to get over two boxes in any way we wanted for a few runs. I only knew one vault and the box was a little bit high for me right now so I mainly just stepped up onto them in various ways.
  • Then we had to pick our favourite vault and do them on one side going one way and on the other side going the other way
  • Then one of the coaches showed us how to step vault so we tried that any way we could a few times.
  • After that he had us slow down the movement completely so it's more stepping than vaulting over...
  • ...before gradually picking up speed each round that we went

Occasionally they'd provide pointers but not many at all, it's more focused on creating a feel for the movement by providing mini challenges each time

• After the step vaults, we did something like a turn vault but jumping over with one leg at a time, don't know what it's called
  • Then we did the same, but imagining ducking down under a low roof above you 

The nice thing was that everyone could pick their own obstacle to practice on and it was perfectly fine for me to work on a really low non-scary rail to figure things out. I got a pointer here and there but it was very minimal and obvious that they're trying hard to not overwhelm at least their beginner students.

After the technique portions we did speed runs! I haven't run this much in years hahaha. There were 5 check points scattered across the room that we had to touch and we had to go between the points as fast as possible. Again this was set up as progressive challenges and we did 3 runs of each:

Spoiler
  • Hands weren't allowed to touch any obstacles
  • Hands could touch the obstacles, but you couldn't go over them
  • At least one vault before each check point
  • Three different vaults
  • Reverse direction

This was very hard for me. Moving at "speed", trying to figure out what route to take and how to tackle the obstacles, but not feeling confident in going over them. It was cool watching the others though, nobody did anything flashy but with a nice confidence in their movement that I'd love to get a bit more of. I also really liked that the coaches provoked little discussions like which run was harder, hands or no hands, what moves feel more efficient etc.

After a gazillion sprints we did a short cool down and here comes my possibly favourite part of the whole thing - we all had reflect on today's practice and then share one thing that we did really well as part of a positive self talk practice! Because skill learning science says so. And it's a nice way to end class. :) I just thought that was awesome, not many coaches explicitly try to foster that kind of positive reflective mentality. So yeah I'm just super happy I found this place, it's fun being a noooooob.

• Like 14

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

"Mirror" game: I don't know why it's called mirror game, it doesn't make sense, but the coach stands on one side of the room with the back towards everyone else standing on the other side of the room. The aim is to reach the coach and tap her back. As long as the coach can't see everyone is free to move, but as soon as she turns around everyone has to freeze on the spot.

We played this game in gym class in elementary school. Only we called it "Red Light/Green Light" and involved shouting "red light" as you turned around to try to catch people who moved in order to send them back to the beginning.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I really enjoyed the way that it was structured, it was very step by step, but not in the way that "here are the rules, do it right" rather they make it very exploratory. In a way it's a bit hard on my brain because I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING, on the other hand it's also good for me to simply try things out and the minimal cueing is interesting.

It looks like they are using the very fundamental parkour philosophy which is getting from point a to point be in the most efficient manner.  Sometimes that is by doing specific vaults or techniques, but often the most efficient for one person may not be as efficient for someone else.  The way they seem to doing it is to let you explore which movements are the most natural for you, and then letting you build on those by upping the progression (like no hands) in a way that works for you rather than running drills to get the technique "textbook perfect".

This is really the ideal class structure for me, so reading about your class makes me more than a little jealous :D 

8 hours ago, Suzaqu said:

Late but here! Your parkour class sounds so awesome! And I'm super intrigued by your flexibility program! 

Hiii! :D 

7 hours ago, sylph said:

We played this game in gym class in elementary school. Only we called it "Red Light/Green Light" and involved shouting "red light" as you turned around to try to catch people who moved in order to send them back to the beginning.

That's the one! Except no shouting. That's not the Finnish way. ;) 

5 hours ago, tourennatrix said:

Holy butts that class sounds like fun!

It was!

57 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

It looks like they are using the very fundamental parkour philosophy which is getting from point a to point be in the most efficient manner.  Sometimes that is by doing specific vaults or techniques, but often the most efficient for one person may not be as efficient for someone else.  The way they seem to doing it is to let you explore which movements are the most natural for you, and then letting you build on those by upping the progression (like no hands) in a way that works for you rather than running drills to get the technique "textbook perfect".

This is really the ideal class structure for me, so reading about your class makes me more than a little jealous :D 

Yep yep. It's quite an interesting contrast compared to for example circus, which is technique first explore later. I have to say the parkour method is very good to counter perfectionist thoughts! One thing that we touched on was that for sheer speed keeping it simple is very often the best solution. One of the coaches was saying that in her most efficient runs she was basically only running and occasionally using a step vault to get over an obstacle, but nothing fancier than that.

• Like 2

Wow, it's so very very interesting to read about your class! I love the minimal instruction approach. In mentoring other kb sport trainers that always comes up again and again, people just love to throw all that they know/see at the trainee. 

We play human twister in our body control classes too, definitely going to try the mirror game :) 

And I absolutely love the reflection ending of the class. I'm going to be thinking about how to incorporate that for my classes in a way that fits me/us! 

17 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I mean I'm sure that I could have put together something myself had I tried, but I feel like my underpants collection is just too large and overwhelming at this point and I'd end up with a 4 hour program or nothing. :D So following something and not second guessing myself will be quite nice I think.

Yes! it will be! And this is why I should get a coach.. but it's soooo hard to find/pick someone. 

Your parkour class sounds AWESOME - seriously, your description made me want to start looking up local classes (and then a little voice in my head reminded me that I'd have to give up something). So instead, I will enjoy parkour vicariously through you!

How are the strength days going?

23 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

While the assessments didn't point out anything I didn't know or at least suspect, it was very interesting to get objective numbers and it did confirm how bad some things are! Hip rotation I'm looking at you. The only thing I was surprised by is that my active and passive flexibility is actually pretty close these days, except for middle splits which is OMG terrible. I suspect that had I been warm it would look quite different though with a more exaggerated difference.

Very interesting! Looking forward to hear more as you go along! Do you have an idea already how long each flexy session will be / how many drills you will have to go through?

So that wasn't such a flop day after all since you managed to go through all these assessments!

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yep yep. It's quite an interesting contrast compared to for example circus, which is technique first explore later. I have to say the parkour method is very good to counter perfectionist thoughts! One thing that we touched on was that for sheer speed keeping it simple is very often the best solution. 

18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

After a gazillion sprints we did a short cool down and here comes my possibly favourite part of the whole thing - we all had reflect on today's practice and then share one thing that we did really well as part of a positive self talk practice! Because skill learning science says so. And it's a nice way to end class. :)

That class sounds  absolutely brilliant!

13 hours ago, sylph said:

We did this too! 

That class sounds way fun. Play and technique and positive reflection. Awesome!

Oh man I love, love, love so much about all your recent updates :wub: you sounds like your radiant self again, just with a solid plan for long term stability and it's simply awesome ^_^

Also, your parcour classes sound A M A Z I N G!!!

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Wow, it's so very very interesting to read about your class! I love the minimal instruction approach. In mentoring other kb sport trainers that always comes up again and again, people just love to throw all that they know/see at the trainee. 

We play human twister in our body control classes too, definitely going to try the mirror game :) 

And I absolutely love the reflection ending of the class. I'm going to be thinking about how to incorporate that for my classes in a way that fits me/us! 

Yes! it will be! And this is why I should get a coach.. but it's soooo hard to find/pick someone. 

I thought you might be, so I wanted to make sure to write down as much as I can remember. :) 

I think as a coach you have to strike a balance, but the balance will also depend on the sport. I think that parkour is fairly safe to explore as the movements are really quite intuitive human movements. Like everyone can figure out how to get across a rail, it might not be pretty or efficient, but nothing terrible will happen if you decide to under it or over it or jumping it. Something like contortion on the other hand which is very technical and works at ranges of motion where the body is the most vulnerable will need a lot more cuing to be able to do it safely, especially for adults.

Fun! :D 

Yes I loved that portion, I think that everyone can benefit from it. :) 

I bet! Especially when you're training at such a high level. I'd love to have a coach but I'm afraid currently I'm completely uncoachable. :lol: Maybe one day I'll get focused enough on one thing. :P 

3 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Your parkour class sounds AWESOME - seriously, your description made me want to start looking up local classes (and then a little voice in my head reminded me that I'd have to give up something). So instead, I will enjoy parkour vicariously through you!

How are the strength days going?

Haha you should totally do it. ;) Just to try. 

We haven't got our gym yet! Which is probably for the better so I can ease into things.

3 hours ago, @mu said:

Very interesting! Looking forward to hear more as you go along! Do you have an idea already how long each flexy session will be / how many drills you will have to go through?

So that wasn't such a flop day after all since you managed to go through all these assessments!

That class sounds  absolutely brilliant!

I'm not sure yet, but will report soon! The devs (unsurprisingly) fucked something up so the release has been delayed... :rolleyes: 

3 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

We did this too! 

That class sounds way fun. Play and technique and positive reflection. Awesome!

All the good things!

2 hours ago, raptron said:

Ahh, what a great class. I love the built-in reflecting and remarking on how everything feels. :D 

Yes! 

10 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Oh man I love, love, love so much about all your recent updates :wub: you sounds like your radiant self again, just with a solid plan for long term stability and it's simply awesome ^_^

Also, your parcour classes sound A M A Z I N G!!!

Thanks I'm in a good place right now and it's awesome!

• Like 3

I feel like life is getting ahead of me and I'm losing the plot a bit. Sleep is a bit out of whack (parkour hype!) so I'm halting that goal this week, I'm struggling with eating enough and just like I haven't had enough quality chill time on my own for a few days. Tomorrow will be busy as well (morning acro and whisky tasting in the afternoon!) but then I'll have to take a bit of time off to catch up with life. The worst is that we have to come in to the office every day this week as we have guests again. They loooooove inviting themselves over without even confirming with us, it's actually really annoying and it's going to be a recurring theme for the next few weeks.

But today I did another fun thing waaaay out of my comfort zone. :) I took a hip hop class! I can't decide if I liked it or not, I think I'd really like it if I could move more freely, but now it was very difficult to get out of my own head as it was all so new and weird. We only did one "choreo" which literally consisted of two 8 counts and that's it, which is great because I hate trying to remember choreography. But that of course meant that it was focused on freestyle instead. :blink: For every little "exercise" she's like yeah add your own style and I'm like WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE ONE, WAIT DOES AWKWARD DORK COUNT? So that wasn't so fun. But then there were moments where I let go a little and it felt like I could actually enjoy this after a bit of practice. After class I was still quite unsure whether I wanted to try again or not, but then I started talking to two of the women that I danced with in class and they were like "oh you HAVE to come next week!" and they had such a fun chill attitude towards the whole thing that they quite easily convinced me. ;) 

Monday positive actions

• Meditated
  • Parkour
  • Had oatmeal with apple as a snack at work when I started to fade
  • Tidied a little to keep things under control

Tuesday positive actions

• Meditated
  • Dance class
  • Had lunch with a friend
  • Didn't eat my carrot soup but chose higher calorie options

Current stats

• Eat 0/7 - Sorry emergency seed crackers with peanut butter don't count as breakfast
  • Sleep - On halt this week
  • Move 1/7 - Missed Monday
  • The device thing is also going terribly
  • Like 12