• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter and the Swamp Creatures

Oh btw the flexy thing you described is very relevant to my interests. Not so much because I'm super interested in flexibility right now, but because you mentioned it uses physio- which is what I'm studying now! XD

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

morning acro and whisky tasting in the afternoon!

At least activities are in the right order :lol:

But then there were moments where I let go a little and it felt like I could actually enjoy this after a bit of practice. 

Letting go can be hard... It's interesting though because in all the videos I have seen of you, your natural movement is far from awkward, quite the opposite.

The device thing is also going terribly

What device? I missed something.

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2019 at 10:40 AM, sylph said:

We played this game in gym class in elementary school. Only we called it "Red Light/Green Light" and involved shouting "red light" as you turned around to try to catch people who moved in order to send them back to the beginning.

This is the version I played as a kid as well, but here they have a slight variation - instead of "red light/green light" they say "Red light/green light/little white light" and they turn around on the last word, the idea being that the person calling is forced to give at least a few milliseconds with their back turned to give people a chance to actually move :D 

I took a hip hop class!

Look at you, doing all the fun things.  I have tried a few dance classes like that I totally understand you in your struggle to freestyle something when you don't even know the basic rules.  I cannot ever think of anything to add because I keep trying to run through the dropdown menu in my brain to look up the list of possible moves :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, tourennatrix said:

Oh btw the flexy thing you described is very relevant to my interests. Not so much because I'm super interested in flexibility right now, but because you mentioned it uses physio- which is what I'm studying now! XD

Oh cooool! How far along are you now?

The physio part is what attracted me to this program too. At the moment I'm less interested in gaining a lot of flexibility, but rather I want my joints to be stronger and function as they should and have the range of motion that they need. Added flexiness is just a bonus, for now at least. :) 

8 hours ago, @mu said:

At least activities are in the right order :lol:

Letting go can be hard... It's interesting though because in all the videos I have seen of you, your natural movement is far from awkward, quite the opposite.

What device? I missed something.

Haha indeed!

Well it certainly feels super awkward! Especially when you're supposed to have "style" and "attitude". WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN? Also arms! I basically only use them for two reasons, handstands and pulling. :P Now suddenly they're supposed to do stuff but like freely in space and somehow look good? What even is that magic???

I have a vague goal of trying to reduce my screen time but all attempts are going terribly. I need a better plan of action. Before I was using a content blocker and that worked pretty well, but at the moment I'm using my work laptop as my private laptop (I think I murdered it with wine) and it interferes when I run servers locally. :/ So I need need solutions, and also to actually try a little harder. ;) 

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Look at you, doing all the fun things.  I have tried a few dance classes like that I totally understand you in your struggle to freestyle something when you don't even know the basic rules.  I cannot ever think of anything to add because I keep trying to run through the dropdown menu in my brain to look up the list of possible moves :D 

Yeah it's so much fun! I love all these new movement challenges, it's awesome.

• Like 2

Agreed that MyFlex is a pretty dorky name for the program, but I am intrigued and look forward to hearing how it goes for you! Jen's so awesome. :wub:

Ahhh, hip hop class! I'm sure it'll get way better as you loosen up. I've had doing hip hop dance classes on my list for a long, long time, but they're usually at the same time as gymnastics practice, haha. The college gym floor routine scene leans pretty heavy on neat hip hop choreo and I love those routines so much. 

I feel like life is getting ahead of me and I'm losing the plot a bit. Sleep is a bit out of whack (parkour hype!) so I'm halting that goal this week, I'm struggling with eating enough and just like I haven't had enough quality chill time on my own for a few days. Tomorrow will be busy as well (morning acro and whisky tasting in the afternoon!) but then I'll have to take a bit of time off to catch up with life. The worst is that we have to come in to the office every day this week as we have guests again. They loooooove inviting themselves over without even confirming with us, it's actually really annoying and it's going to be a recurring theme for the next few weeks.

Definitely sleep in more this week if you need it! There's nothing we can do while awake that replaces the power of sleep. <3 Hope you get your chill time soon! 

• Like 1

you are truly so courageous! It takes a lot of gut to try out these completely new things among people who have been at it a while.

And your descriptions soothe me so much, because that would totally be me too, I just don't even try (yet) :D so thank you for taking it with such good humor, it's very encouraging to read.

And honestly how can you possibly freestyle on something you have no clue of just yet?! 
So happy you having so much fun again :) 

22 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

The worst is that we have to come in to the office every day this week as we have guests again. They loooooove inviting themselves over without even confirming with us, it's actually really annoying and it's going to be a recurring theme for the next few weeks.

Ew, I wouldn't be able to handle that. I don't mind hosting, but everything has to be arranged ahead of time. If someone showed up unannounced and uninvited, I'd be like, "there's a cheap motel a few blocks that way. See you in the morning."

MyFlex (despite the name) sounds awesome! I'm super interested in hearing your thoughts as you progress through it, I love flexy talk.

Parkour sounds seriously amazing, and taking a hip hop class also sounds so fun!! That would be SO INCREDIBLY out of my comfort zone I have anxiety just thinking about it hahah but it really sounds like a blast.  You're my spirit animal right now.

On 1/16/2019 at 6:16 AM, WhiteGhost said:

This is the version I played as a kid as well, but here they have a slight variation - instead of "red light/green light" they say "Red light/green light/little white light" and they turn around on the last word, the idea being that the person calling is forced to give at least a few milliseconds with their back turned to give people a chance to actually move :D

We used to play this game too. Here it is called "pollito inglés" (little english chicken), the hell if I know what chickens have to do with this. Our sentence was "una, dos y tres, pollito inglés a la pared" (one, two, three, little english chicken to the wall) :D 

• Like 2

Saw a YouTube clip this morning that made me think of you for some reason. Not that you're doing gymnastics, but you're doing all kind of other awesome body control activities :) 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 8:28 PM, Mad Hatter said:

WHAT IF I DON'T HAVE ONE, WAIT DOES AWKWARD DORK COUNT?

Add 'uncoordinated' to the middle of that and that's my dance style. I'm in awe of anyone who can dance. I kinda just flail around like one of those inflatable wiggly men. 

On 1/16/2019 at 6:24 PM, raptron said:

Ahhh, hip hop class! I'm sure it'll get way better as you loosen up. I've had doing hip hop dance classes on my list for a long, long time, but they're usually at the same time as gymnastics practice, haha. The college gym floor routine scene leans pretty heavy on neat hip hop choreo and I love those routines so much. 

Definitely sleep in more this week if you need it! There's nothing we can do while awake that replaces the power of sleep. <3 Hope you get your chill time soon! 

Oh the woes of having too many hobbies. ;) 

So true!

On 1/16/2019 at 6:45 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

you are truly so courageous! It takes a lot of gut to try out these completely new things among people who have been at it a while.

And your descriptions soothe me so much, because that would totally be me too, I just don't even try (yet) :D so thank you for taking it with such good humor, it's very encouraging to read.

And honestly how can you possibly freestyle on something you have no clue of just yet?! 
So happy you having so much fun again :) 

For me it's just a lot easier being a complete noob than having done something for a while and still sucking at it. :P It's nice to get reminded of that though!

Right?!?! But I guess that's how the genre was born, just people messing about and learning from each other. It's just difficult when 1) you're used to a different type of class structure, 2) likes technical details and 3) you feel like a doofus haha.

<3

On 1/16/2019 at 8:25 PM, tourennatrix said:

I'm only a few months in, but it's only a 2 year program. I think I'll get a battle log posted Thurs or Friday evening and I'll share more about it ;)

That's amazing! And YES I want to hear more!!

On 1/16/2019 at 9:12 PM, Jett said:

Ew, I wouldn't be able to handle that. I don't mind hosting, but everything has to be arranged ahead of time. If someone showed up unannounced and uninvited, I'd be like, "there's a cheap motel a few blocks that way. See you in the morning."

Well it's not like I have to host. I just have to be at the office so that it appears busy. :lol:

On 1/16/2019 at 9:30 PM, Raxie said:

MyFlex (despite the name) sounds awesome! I'm super interested in hearing your thoughts as you progress through it, I love flexy talk.

Parkour sounds seriously amazing, and taking a hip hop class also sounds so fun!! That would be SO INCREDIBLY out of my comfort zone I have anxiety just thinking about it hahah but it really sounds like a blast.  You're my spirit animal right now.

Will do!

Oh both of them are way out of my comfort zone too! Seems to be the theme of this challenge!

23 hours ago, zenLara said:

We used to play this game too. Here it is called "pollito inglés" (little english chicken), the hell if I know what chickens have to do with this. Our sentence was "una, dos y tres, pollito inglés a la pared" (one, two, three, little english chicken to the wall) :D 

Haha brilliant.

22 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

HIP HOP!! Awkward dork should totally count as a style, I feel like I could nail it!

Dude you can DANCE! With style! Like all of it.

17 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Saw a YouTube clip this morning that made me think of you for some reason. Not that you're doing gymnastics, but you're doing all kind of other awesome body control activities :) 

That was amazing and she's adorable. :wub:

4 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Add 'uncoordinated' to the middle of that and that's my dance style. I'm in awe of anyone who can dance. I kinda just flail around like one of those inflatable wiggly men. 

Oh yes I'll add that one to the list too! I can coordinate one or two body parts at the same time if I move slowly, but man dance is hard! 

Love the imagery though. :lol:

• Like 1

So where are we at now?

Wednesday was busy, busy but a lot of fun!

In the morning I had my first acro class at the same place as the parkour gym. It was not quite what I expected but I loved it! Since it's a morning class we did very little hard tumbling, but instead we did LOADS of tricky coordination things. Honestly they made my brain explode but in a good way. It really made me realise just how few modes of movement I do on a regular basis. I can't remember many things now, but here are a few examples:

Spoiler

It's hard to say when the warm up ended and the "real" training started so I'll just write up the 3 distinct parts

Pt I

• One person was spinning a tennis ball on a string and the other had to get as close as possible to it without getting hit. We did lots of variations of this at different heights etc. One of the women I teamed up with was amazing to watch, she was doing all sorts of fancy stuff like spinning, ducking, jumping all over the place! I was just going please don't smash my face, please don't smash my face. :lol: It was very hard to focus on a ball moving at speed first thing in the morning.

Pt II

• Can't remember this category well, but we did weird walks where for example we might take a few steps then wildly wave our arms around and then get back to the original walk without losing flow. 
  • We also did some rotating leg kicks/swings (but not the normal kind) that completely threw me off balance
  • And some monkey walk variations. I did the first one and I was like YES finally something that I'm comfortable with! But then they escalated very quickly and the final variation was something like 180 monkey -> slide to pike sit -> roll into lying on the stomach -> turn over onto the back -> up into crab/table top, preferably in one smooth movement. It was a lot haha.
  • Plus a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember.

Pt III

• Progressions to work up to a move that I've no idea what it's called, but it was a sort of hybrid between a kip up and the worm?? It's the same initial movement as the worm but instead of standing up the aim is to link them together so that movement travels, either in little waves close to the floor or more dynamic big waves. Sorry this description doesn't make any sense but I don't know how else to describe it. :D 

It was all very difficult for the brain, lots of nonlinear movements which required a high degree of coordination. Which I don't have, especially not in the morning haha. It's a really good challenge though, both for the body and for the brain, and I'm sure it will have a positive cross over to just about any activity. 

I also really loved the super chill morning atmosphere in the class that gradually perked up as the class went on. Another bonus is that it was only scheduled for an hour but actually it continues for another half hour for anyone that wants. Which is me. :D So yeah that was my final new thing this week! 

After work I went to a Laphroaigh whisky tasting! The whisky was fantastic, the tasting itself was boring. It was all in Finnish and the guy did NOT.STOP.TALKING. I don't care so much about the Finnish part, but usually during a tasting there's breathing room for tasting and little discussions about the samples. This was non stop talking so we couldn't chit chat for the entire thing. Afterwards we had a fun chat with the lecturer guy though and drank some beer and all was good from that point on. Then we went out for food and more beer happened. Also tequila. Which in retrospect might not have been the best idea haha. I really can't remember the last time I got this drunk. I tried to close my eyes on the bus home and I couldn't because my head was spinning too much. I don't think has happened since uni, oops. It was a great evening though, I had such a blast!

The next day was unsurprisingly not very productive. Up until 2-3 pm I was still feeling great, but when it hit me it hit me hard! I basically came home and crashed and went to bed super early and that's it. I seriously do not understand how you do it @raptron :lol: It must be a super power.

Today was great though, I woke up nice and early and fresh as a daisy. Or something like that. ;) 

I've been thinking about my work situation, and even if I think a lot of my work is boring and dumb, honestly a big part of that has been my mindset. Sometimes when I get bored I make it worse by focusing on the boring part and distracting myself with other things, instead of making it more interesting. And while I am still casually looking out for a new job, I don't see a point in changing just for the sake of changing, but would rather wait until something interesting comes along. Because I do still have a lot of fun where I am and since the place is so small and so casual it's actually a very good place to learn. 

So I brought it up with one of my colleagues that I wanted to tinker with some of our admin tools. Mostly because I find it super annoying to have to ask him all the time to add little things that I want but could easily add myself. So today I started learning web development with react, which will be a very nice change of pace from all the backend work that I'm doing. :) And he's super happy about it because that means there will be two of us knowing how it works, and he also quite enjoys teaching. Win win!

Wednesday positive actions

• Morning acro
  • Whisky tasting
  • Doodled instead picking up my phone when I got bored during the tasting
  • Attempted meditation to not break my streak, but it turns out that drunken meditation is not that effective. :rolleyes: Still counting it.

Thursday positive actions

• Meditated
  • Only got into work an hour late
  • Went to bed at 9 something p.m.

Friday positive actions

• Meditated
  • Didn't kill my boss for his LOUD ukulele playing (but I did have to bring out my nerf gun)
  • Started learning a new work thing
  • Tidied
  • Got properly back on track with life and tiny habits
  • Didn't pick up the phone to kill time on my commute but actually listened to music

Current stats

• Eat 3/7 - Didn't have time to eat before morning acro
  • Sleep - On halt this week, but got 1/5 days by accident
  • Move 4/7
  • Like 6

I really like Laphroaigh :wub: and Lagavulin (smokey++ not everybody's taste though). I used to profoundly dislike whiskey until I discovered the good stuff.

It's great to read about all your new classes! I want to go to classes too! :D

The bit about your work is great news. Boredom can be such a pit! If you can have both a nice environment + learning new stuff + some routine you're very comfortable with, that's the best really.

Is Cirque Physio programme running now? or is someone still RTFM on testing before launching in a prod environment :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, @mu said:

I really like Laphroaigh :wub: and Lagavulin (smokey++ not everybody's taste though). I used to profoundly dislike whiskey until I discovered the good stuff.

Meeeeeee too! At first I only liked the idea of drinking whisky, but then I had a dark chocolate truffle with a very peaty whisky and the combo was amazing and I've been sold since then!

5 minutes ago, @mu said:

The bit about your work is great news. Boredom can be such a pit! If you can have both a nice environment + learning new stuff + some routine you're very comfortable with, that's the best really.

At least for now. And since I do work with great developers I might as well learn as much as possible while I'm there. :) Even if it's not necessarily what I want to do it's always good to keep my brain cells working (they were getting kinda sad) and it's unlikely that I'll completely change career in the near future anyway. 

8 minutes ago, @mu said:

Is Cirque Physio programme running now? or is someone still RTFM on testing before launching in a prod environment :lol:

Ummm, soooo, apparently they discovered a critical bug an hour before launch. That requires them to basically rewrite the whole thing... 

tenor.gif?itemid=7646483

Supposedly Monday is the day, a week late, but we'll see...

• Like 3

It's great to see you trying all these new activities. You sound so excited and happy and rainbow-y :) 

Whisky, beer, and tequila. Nice. How bad was the headache? :D

6 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ummm, soooo, apparently they discovered a critical bug an hour before launch. That requires them to basically rewrite the whole thing... 

Oh noooo. :o 

GOOD CALL at work. That's a brilliant way to entertain yourself AND learn and keep on keeping on at the same place. :)

And everything in that acro class sounds so interesting. And totally different from like... anything I'm used to doing, haha.

2 minutes ago, zenLara said:

It's great to see you trying all these new activities. You sound so excited and happy and rainbow-y :) 

Whisky, beer, and tequila. Nice. How bad was the headache? :D

I love the getting out of a deep funk phase. ;) 

Haha actually I didn't get a headache. :P I very, very seldom do. I just completely crash the day after a heavy night, but that's it.

1 minute ago, raptron said:

GOOD CALL at work. That's a brilliant way to entertain yourself AND learn and keep on keeping on at the same place. :)

And everything in that acro class sounds so interesting. And totally different from like... anything I'm used to doing, haha.

Better than moping at least at or waste all my time on the interwebz!

Yeah I expected more of the flippety things, just at a lower level obviously. Like rolls and cartwheels and stuff like that, and I think that's what the course page even said. But this is really interesting and it does make a lot of sense to keep it softer in the mornings. Even if it makes my brain explode. :D 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Dude you can DANCE! With style! Like all of it.

And that all goes out the window when hip hop comes on! :lol: 

Also, LOVE the changes you've made at work - sounds like a really great mindset to go for! And that you have a nerf gun handy at all times.

Also also, LOL at the thought of drunk meditation. I do not picture that working well.

13 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

And that all goes out the window when hip hop comes on! :lol: 

Also, LOVE the changes you've made at work - sounds like a really great mindset to go for! And that you have a nerf gun handy at all times.

Also also, LOL at the thought of drunk meditation. I do not picture that working well.

:D Still not sure I believe it!

Well you're one of the people that have made me think about work in a different way. :) 

I can't say I recommend drunk meditation. Quite the opposite. :P But hey at least I tried haha.

12 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Buddy, I got a hangover just reading that list of drinks. I'm such a lightweight drinker (more so every year) and I have always gotten terrible, debilitating hangovers.

:lol: I guess I'm lucky in that respect. Though I could definitely not do this on a regular basis!

8 hours ago, tourennatrix said:

Ask and you shall receive~ (battle log initiate)

Super cool about taking on new stuff at work :D That's the kind of thing I *wish* I could do (taking initiative and expressing ideas and asking for what I want, etc). Perhaps some day :P

Yay!

Honestly I had to muster up a 10 second of courage to ask. I'm not even sure why as I knew it's a good idea and my colleague is super awesome. I guess it's the dreaded imposter syndrome. Everyone at my office have such a huge wealth of knowledge and experience behind them and I think I'm still a bit shy to just try things out, either because I might fail or it will be slow compared to if someone else did it. Plus there's always something that needs doing and it's much easier to do something familiar that I know will be helpful right now than something new that may or may not be useful and that will take time initially. But I'm really just shooting myself in the foot with that mindset, on many levels.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Wednesday positive actions

• Morning acro
  • Whisky tasting
  • Doodled instead picking up my phone when I got bored during the tasting
  • Attempted meditation to not break my streak, but it turns out that drunken meditation is not that effective. :rolleyes: Still counting it.

Thursday positive actions

• Meditated
  • Only got into work an hour late
  • Went to bed at 9 something p.m.

Friday positive actions

• Meditated
  • Didn't kill my boss for his LOUD ukulele playing (but I did have to bring out my nerf gun)
  • Started learning a new work thing
  • Tidied
  • Got properly back on track with life and tiny habits
  • Didn't pick up the phone to kill time on my commute but actually listened to music

SO MANY WINS!!!