• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter and the Swamp Creatures

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Then the next thing was to get on top of boxes and rails by swinging the legs. This felt impossible. I get the movement in theory but in practice it was like huh??

This was half of gymnastics for me... "Yes I understand the Physics but why does my body not cooperate?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, SymphonicDan said:

This was half of gymnastics for me... "Yes I understand the Physics but why does my body not cooperate?"

This doesn't go away. :P

Awesome parkour-ing. And I appreciated your mini-parkour at home set-up over the weekend, haha. It's frustrating to hear about all of the launch issues with the flexy program. I hope they get things sorted! 

On 1/22/2019 at 2:56 PM, tourennatrix said:

Man that parkour class sounds like so much fun :3 I really like how structured it sounds. And especially good on you for going even after a bleh day. Hopefully it helped lift your spirits a bit!

On one hand it's very structured, on the other there's loads of room for experimenting! I'm super happy I went but hopefully I'll have a bit more ooomph next time. 

On 1/22/2019 at 3:32 PM, zenLara said:

Parkour gets you high enough now :D

Nooo

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_vmngI-imqq2fne28WOO

On 1/22/2019 at 4:49 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

HOW ARE YOU ALIVE??? Does not compute.

DirectEmptyAmericancrow-small.gif

On 1/22/2019 at 5:44 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Is this the one where you swing the leg backwards away from the wall to drive you upwards?  If so, it also makes sense to me in theory but completely eludes me in practice

That's the one! I can't seem to get my leg to do anything useful and I end up trying to press my way up.

On 1/22/2019 at 7:12 PM, SymphonicDan said:

Sounds about right.

23 hours ago, raptron said:

This doesn't go away. :P

Awesome parkour-ing. And I appreciated your mini-parkour at home set-up over the weekend, haha. It's frustrating to hear about all of the launch issues with the flexy program. I hope they get things sorted! 

Damn it. :P 

Haha it was the cutest little parkour line. :D This was the first time I regretted my minimal furnishings. ;) 

Oh man I hope so too! Now it's down "until further notice"... :( 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ahh I can't seem to catch a break lately.

Yesterday was super frickin' cold, -23C at one point, and I noped out of everything, including dance class. I might have gone anyway had I not got sucked into making web magic happen. But it did and I ended up coding until way too late. Which was dumb because at first I couldn't fall sleep then I woke up wide awake at 4 am and couldn't fall asleep after that. At 6:30 am I decided I felt too terrible to manage morning acro so I sent them an email to move my class. So not only did I miss dance class, but also acro. :( Guys, this week is not going great. Also my flat's a tip again and I need more freggies in my life.

Tomorrow is a working from home day but it's going to be mainly non-coding work, so I'll do my best to catch up on life and clean my flat before the weekend. And with your threads - it's so much harder to keep up when I'm working so much at work! :P 

Tuesday positive actions

• Meditated
  • Work flow x2? I guess it's positive but not at the expense of everything falling apart

Wednesday positive actions

• Didn't make it this morning but will just now!
  • Merged my first web thingy
  • Not quite an action, but related to my much increased focus at work - today was the first time in forever since it got past my going home time and I hadn't even noticed! 
  • Laundry and washed up pans and pots
  • Tunes to keep me going!

Current stats

• Eat 2/7
  • Sleep 1/5 - 4 am today does not count as I'm a wreck and didn't even get out of bed
  • Move 2/7
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yesterday was super frickin' cold, -23C at one point

:huh::blink:

That change of mindset as work is great :) Although coding can be a real big time sucker when you get really really absorbed. But I kinda like it, I find it very hard to resist for that reason... I do not really have a solution to manage coding spells :~

15 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yesterday was super frickin' cold, -23C at one point

You should see us complaining about our -3 :'D

Sorry to hear about your bad night and missing lessons. But you say you just delayed acro, right? You could go today, unless your whole country is under ice (-23??? Do you even feel cold at that point?)

20 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

And with your threads - it's so much harder to keep up when I'm working so much at work! :P 

This speaks to me on a personal level.

I love the focus on the positives! It sounds like you're coming out of the funk well! Even if there are little niggles of the tough stuff. :) 

it's alright though ;)

But gee.. -23.. 

Oh about these obsessive spells that prevent sleep and also wake you up at stupid o clock? I noticed that I always have those around my ovulation. Which is kind of useless knowledge BUT it helps me be more kind to myself when it happens again... changes the self speak from "you silly little bugger you let things derail again" to "oh yea.. it's that time of the month.. ugh well let's pick up the pieces tomorrow" 

You might call it a terrible week but in all honesty I still see a lot of fun and success here. As you say life is rarely 100% perfect.
I love the shift of work mood! It makes such a difference in overall life satisfaction.

Pah cleaning is overrated. Just call it an enhanced parcour line ;) that should make up for it just fine :)

On 1/24/2019 at 8:30 AM, @mu said:

That change of mindset as work is great :) Although coding can be a real big time sucker when you get really really absorbed. But I kinda like it, I find it very hard to resist for that reason... I do not really have a solution to manage coding spells :~

I don't think there is a good solution, you just have to ride it out and hope nothing's caught fire while you weren't watching. :D 

On 1/24/2019 at 11:15 AM, zenLara said:

You should see us complaining about our -3 :'D

Sorry to hear about your bad night and missing lessons. But you say you just delayed acro, right? You could go today, unless your whole country is under ice (-23??? Do you even feel cold at that point?)

:lol:

I don't know if'd feel the cold, I didn't go outside that day. ;) But even in -18 I'm still wearing my regular coat and clothes. I do wear an extra layer on my legs, but only long socks or leggings, and I feel absolutely fine. The only thing is that my skin hates it!

But yeah I'll take an extra class next week instead, they were super chill about me changing times.

On 1/24/2019 at 3:16 PM, annyshay said:

Solidarity. We've got a cold snap comin'.

Well you're going to Antarctica, heard it gets pretty cold. :lol:

On 1/24/2019 at 4:52 PM, Asa Pond said:

I love the focus on the positives! It sounds like you're coming out of the funk well! Even if there are little niggles of the tough stuff. :) 

Yeah I'm well out of the funk now. Unfortunately that doesn't mean I still don't have to deal with life haha. :P I still really like the positives, it makes me feel so much more accomplished and also mindful about my actions throughout the day.

18 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Oh about these obsessive spells that prevent sleep and also wake you up at stupid o clock? I noticed that I always have those around my ovulation. Which is kind of useless knowledge BUT it helps me be more kind to myself when it happens again... changes the self speak from "you silly little bugger you let things derail again" to "oh yea.. it's that time of the month.. ugh well let's pick up the pieces tomorrow" 

That's so interesting! Though this time I believe it's much more likely to be due to spending 12 solid hours coding without moving at all. :P It kinda messes with the head. 

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Uh, yeah.  Justifiably!

Yeah.

2 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

You might call it a terrible week but in all honesty I still see a lot of fun and success here. As you say life is rarely 100% perfect.
I love the shift of work mood! It makes such a difference in overall life satisfaction.

Pah cleaning is overrated. Just call it an enhanced parcour line ;) that should make up for it just fine :)

Ok it wasn't terrible, but I do have this feeling like everything is slipping and I can't quite catch up. But it's still good!

It really does. 

Haha I like your thinking! Alas having a clean environment really does help.

11 minutes ago, raptron said:

Your cold snap got colder than our cold snap! 

Yay, everyone is a loser! :D 

• Like 3

That cold snap is unfathomably cold to me - when we get close to 0 I start complaining and asking "will I ever feel warm again?" (yes, I'm melodramatic)

But yay for work flow, even if it did lead to some tough sleep stuff.

Yesterday was very chill, I worked from home, got a bunch of adulting stuff done, finished early. Then climbing! It was not a very good session, my balance felt off and I was weak, but it's ok. I still tried and I made sure to work a bit extra on steeper climbs and more powerful moves. Nothing excessive, just to get a feel for it again as I have only done vertical walls since I started climbing. It was very hard and I'm very weak, but that only means it can only go up right ;) 

Today is a bit of a write off. I woke up with a sore throat and cough and made the incredibly difficult decision of taking it easy today. I didn't go to morning acro (nooooooo), I worked remotely (boooring) AND I missed Friday beers (sob). This BETTER work to make me feel great tomorrow. 

Thursday positive actions

• Meditated
  • Climbed and tried more overhanging and more powerful moves
  • Finished work early
  • Made flat habitable
  • Had a salad with lots of greens

Current stats

• Eat 4/7
  • Sleep 1/5 Not really trying
  • Move 3/7 I forgot today!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Wazowski said:

That cold snap is unfathomably cold to me - when we get close to 0 I start complaining and asking "will I ever feel warm again?" (yes, I'm melodramatic)

But yay for work flow, even if it did lead to some tough sleep stuff.

The thing is that now that the cold spell is over (it only lasted for 1-2 days) -6 feels tropical in comparison. :D It's really all relative. 

Yeah it was nice to experience again! It's been a long time. :/

7 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ok it wasn't terrible, but I do have this feeling like everything is slipping and I can't quite catch up. But it's still good!

Maybe you are having a little high phase at the moment? would that be typical of what you were talking about in a previous thread, about high and lows?

7 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I woke up with a sore throat and cough and made the incredibly difficult decision of taking it easy today.

Sounds painfully familiar :D

1 minute ago, @mu said:

Maybe you are having a little high phase at the moment? would that be typical of what you were talking about in a previous thread, about high and lows?

I've actually been thinking about that for the past few days, and I think that the "aggressively happy" phase is over now too. Unfortunately it doesn't tend to last for very long. :P Or maybe that's a good thing, it's honestly hard for me to tell. It can feel a little overwhelming and like it's easy to burn out, but it's all very positive way so it's difficult not to like it? At least in my current very stable life situation, maybe it'd be different in different circumstances.

One thing has become very obvious just now is that now when my state has transitioned to the more "average" I'm really glad that my challenge goals are small and achievable as it means that I can still do them even if I don't have quite as much energy. And I don't have to deal with the disappointment or frustration of failing in the same way. It's interesting to me because I think it's the first time I've really considered that side of things before. I've also been thinking that instead of considering my mental states as lows and highs with average in between, I've often been thinking lows, "the way I want life to be" and bland/boring in between, which is perhaps not the best measuring stick...

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Well you're going to Antarctica, heard it gets pretty cold. :lol:

Antarctica is going to be warmer than Minnesota. Only because it's summer there, but still.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

One thing has become very obvious just now is that now when my state has transitioned to the more "average" I'm really glad that my challenge goals are small and achievable as it means that I can still do them even if I don't have quite as much energy. And I don't have to deal with the disappointment or frustration of failing in the same way.

Yes, if an up period is really up, you actually need to recover a little bit from it (physically / mentally). It's not even a failure at all, even if it feels "low" comparatively of course.

It's a bit like a deload phase in a way. It's a planned low and a very useful one at that. If it is not planned or somewhat expected and you keep trying at the same level of activity, it's frustrating and disappointing...and you could get injuries (physical and mental too) from that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

I've actually been thinking about that for the past few days, and I think that the "aggressively happy" phase is over now too. Unfortunately it doesn't tend to last for very long. :P Or maybe that's a good thing, it's honestly hard for me to tell. It can feel a little overwhelming and like it's easy to burn out, but it's all very positive way so it's difficult not to like it? At least in my current very stable life situation, maybe it'd be different in different circumstances.

Hmm, that is a real good insight to have - how there's a hidden downside of sorts to sporadic busts of energy (easy to overcommit). 

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

One thing has become very obvious just now is that now when my state has transitioned to the more "average" I'm really glad that my challenge goals are small and achievable as it means that I can still do them even if I don't have quite as much energy. And I don't have to deal with the disappointment or frustration of failing in the same way. It's interesting to me because I think it's the first time I've really considered that side of things before. I've also been thinking that instead of considering my mental states as lows and highs with average in between, I've often been thinking lows, "the way I want life to be" and bland/boring in between, which is perhaps not the best measuring stick...

SO. RELATABLE. If I have a metric that makes me a "failure", however dumb that metric may be, it's a real downer for my self-esteem and mood. Also, not calling our usual lives bland and boring would likely help us all. I feel like your daily wins practice is a good way to find joy in the everyday?

English people are so pathetic. When it gets around 0'C the newspapers are full of headlines like "COUNTRY GRINDS TO A STANDSTILL AS SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW SETTLES ON PARTS OF THE UK" and "TRAINS CANCELLED OVER EXTREME COLD SNAP".

Meanwhile in Finland and Minnesota it's colder than my freezer and people seem to be surviving just fine. I don't know why as a nation we are so flimsy about the weather!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, annyshay said:

Antarctica is going to be warmer than Minnesota. Only because it's summer there, but still.

Hahaha going to Antarctica to escape the cold. Brilliant! :lol:

14 hours ago, @mu said:

Yes, if an up period is really up, you actually need to recover a little bit from it (physically / mentally). It's not even a failure at all, even if it feels "low" comparatively of course.

It's a bit like a deload phase in a way. It's a planned low and a very useful one at that. If it is not planned or somewhat expected and you keep trying at the same level of activity, it's frustrating and disappointing...and you could get injuries (physical and mental too) from that.

Yes all very true. I've just never seen it that way before. I had this convo with a friend recently, not directly related to me but more generic, when we were talking about what's "better", highs or lows. A bit of a dumb topic as it's all so very individual and how do you measure it anyway, but I think that was the first time that I even considered that it might be harmful even in mild cases. Or not harmful, but draining.

Now this time I was quite aware of the "high" and decided to appreciate it for what it was but being aware that it was going to pass and that it wasn't a bad thing. It felt like the right approach. Maybe in the future I could even learn to channel it productively for short term projects.

13 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Hmm, that is a real good insight to have - how there's a hidden downside of sorts to sporadic busts of energy (easy to overcommit). 

SO. RELATABLE. If I have a metric that makes me a "failure", however dumb that metric may be, it's a real downer for my self-esteem and mood. Also, not calling our usual lives bland and boring would likely help us all. I feel like your daily wins practice is a good way to find joy in the everyday?

It is, and I think it's going to help in the future. It's funny how in the 15+ years I've been dealing with the lows I hadn't given the any thought until now.

It's not like I don't find joy in the daily life, I do, but it's not the same technicolor feel which makes it seems bland in comparison. The daily wins are not necessarily joyful, but often self care for me takes the form of doing boring adulting tasks and getting shit done, rather than bubble baths. ;) But they do make me feel more mindful and like I'm doing something proactive and that feels good. :) 

4 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

English people are so pathetic. When it gets around 0'C the newspapers are full of headlines like "COUNTRY GRINDS TO A STANDSTILL AS SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW SETTLES ON PARTS OF THE UK" and "TRAINS CANCELLED OVER EXTREME COLD SNAP".

Meanwhile in Finland and Minnesota it's colder than my freezer and people seem to be surviving just fine. I don't know why as a nation we are so flimsy about the weather!

The English could certainly use a little more sisu in their lives. ;) 

• Like 4

Was creeping on my parkour teacher on IG today and got so inspired! She's such an unassuming, casual teacher and then I saw her IG and she's actually quite the badass! Muscle up for reps, parkour, cool corde lisse stuff, handbalancing...

Here's a little snippet, mainly to show what our gym looks like. It's small but I really like the way it looks with the reddish wood. :) 

• Like 8

She's awesome!

I thought a training place for parkour would be more padded? (asking from complete ignorance). All those edges were making me nervous.

• Like 1