• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Curl Brogo

Brogo: 2019 edition

Happy New Year!

Time to set a bunch of goals for the year.

My primary goal is to lose weight and stop feeling like shit... I want to tidy up my diet and get a little exercise to get my energy out of the gutter, and fix up my mood. Fucking winter.

Exercise: Workout 2x / week minimum, move more

2 workouts with the Kettlebells or a barbell

Move more at work and on weekends. Walk, stretch... don't know yet, gotta get creative. When I'm standing at a machine at work, I should step away and walk around, or do some squats.

Eat: Gluten Free, Pescatarian

I was doing this last summer, it was working, I stopped because I started drinking, met a girl, and went off the rails. Time to get back on.

Right now I'm doing a short juice cleanse type thing to fix what the holidays have done to my diet and craving cycles. Then I'm ditching gluten, meat, poultry, dairy, sugar and a bunch of other shit that makes me feel bad, and tired, and overeat and get fat.

Produce: Art, every spare moment

Why do anything else?

I'm submitting a piece for a show on Friday, then a couple of my friends might commission some paintings from me for their house. I also have to improve my website and social media presence.

Learn: Spanish

Yes, it's useful, blah, blah, blah...

There's an semi-elderly Mexican woman that I work with. She speaks very little English, and she has insulting spanish nicknames for every one who works at the shop and I want to learn them all.

Practice: Mindfulness

I need to overcome the winter SADs and power through my moments of irritability and bitterness that accompany the hunger of dieting by realizing that all that we experience is just ephemeral phenomenological bullshit.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Time to set a bunch of goals for the year.

I'm really glad you're back with us. How's the art coming along?

I'm submitting a piece for a show on Friday, then a couple of my friends might commission some paintings from me for their house. I also have to improve my website and social media presence.

Well, you answered that question! That's awesome! :)

Learn: Spanish

Me too!

Welcome back, buddy. Let me know if I can help in any way.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

There's an semi-elderly Mexican woman that I work with. She speaks very little English, and she has insulting spanish nicknames for every one who works at the shop and I want to learn them all.

I used to work on a construction crew at one point, the rest of the crew was comprised of 3 Mexicans and a Peruvian.  I can only speak very limited Spanish, but I learned ALL the swear words :D 

• Like 3

Exercise:

I got a couple short workouts in during zero week.

I warmed up with 10x10 KB swings, then for the first I did super sets of of Front squats and Presses, the other was RDLs and dips, and finished both workouts with some planks.

At work I was working on a new job where I had to pick 65 lbs aluminum bars, carry them up a couple steps and put them in the machines without bashing the shit out of them, so my deadlift muscles and biceps got a better workout than other weeks.

Diet:

Mostly okay. Mostly gluten free, a couple of meals with chicken or beef, but a lot more soy and vegetarian protein than usual. Feels good. I had a piece in an art show on Friday. I met up with friends beforehand for beers, then we grabbed a cocktail at a distillery afterward.

Just did my shopping for the week. I'm leaving meal prep this week up to Stouffer's... there have been these "Healthy" meals which are mostly rice, veggies, and a meat and some are gluten free or very nearly (no noodles at least). Beyond that, breakfast will be bananas and pea protein milk lattes (thanks to the espresso maker I got for Christmas). Dinner: fish/tofu, rice and veggies.

Art:

So art show, Friday. Last night I was on a painting binge (if you follow me on IG you know).

[shameless_self-promotion]

I also spent some time updating my website... https://johnhvalastudio.com/

Paintings are for sale, and I can accept donations and commisions for support. You should all go check it out. Also, like and share my facebook page if you haven't yet.

[/shameless_self-promotion]

Spanish: I think 4/5 days this week I hit my 50 xp goal on Duolingo. I got out my Spanish books and CDs. Hopefully I can do more this week.

Mindfulness: I know I reminded myself of this in a couple dark moments, but no significant effort on it.

• Like 6

I just published my first blog post on my website, and I want to check and see if I'm seeing what everyone else sees. So...

If you're reading this do me a quick favor...

Go here: https://johnhvalastudio.com/blog

Read it or don't read it, whatever... and either leave a comment or report back here whether or not you saw a place to leave a comment.

• Like 1

I could (and did) read the post but coldn't leave a comment.

Very interesting read. The bit about the water on the window made me think of your thesis and I could see the commonality - branches breaking off and coming back together seemingly at random.  A very clever way to end your piece. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback. 

I'm still learning WordPress so... 

I was seeing a place to comment when I viewed it through my account but not when I went to the site in a second browser. I figured you might need a WordPress account to comment. Lame. There's probably some widget or plug in I need to get comments. 

• Like 3

Good on you @Curl Brogo for the blog. And it's cool that you're learning something new (WordPress) in addition to everything else you have going on. Well done, my friend.

giphy.gif 

• Like 1

Progress stuff:

Exercise stuff: Haven't done anything this week thus far... Hmm.

Diet stuff: Eating crappy "Healthy" microwave meals, drinking juice, and soy milk lattes like a beast.

I signed up for Imperfect Produce... once a week I get a box of organic vegetables that are not pretty enough for supermarkets... and I got my first haul yesterday. Got a pretty good variety. I made a stir fry with some of the carrots, snow peas, and the habanero peppers they sent. But I have to figure out what these two, black, softball sized roots are. My guess is some type of rutabaga. Anyway, I'll be getting a lot more veggies from now on, and a wider variety too without the enormous price tag.

Mindfulness stuff: Kinda turned a page on this goal yesterday afternoon. Basically, just loosened my mind up to the point where I've been pretty open and accepting toward life. Mostly though, I think I'm just lacking sleep and calories. Sleep has been rough this week since my calorie intake has dropped significantly and foods have changed. But, I got through the tough parts, I'm adjusting, and my mood is improved.

Art stuff: My first blog post got me 67 subscribers!

• Like 6

Well done on the subscribers - it makes blogging more real when you know that someone is reading it.

The veggie box sounds like a great source of food inspiration.

• Like 1

Workouts: I got two in last week on Tuesday and Thursday evening, gonna try to repeat that this week. I've also been keeping steady with a morning stretch/warmup routine while I wait for coffee and breakfast. Gotta keep that up too.

Diet: I guess chicken is pescatarian now... I don't care, I cooked 5 lbs of chicken breasts, I'm eating it all. Other than that I eat a lot of soy and fish and eggs. The veggies keep coming. I upgraded to a bigger box of veggies. The smaller one was lasting me five days, the next bigger size should last me a week.

Spanish: I have not been spending any time on this lately :(

Mindfulness: I have been exceedingly mindful. Seriously, like too much. Sometimes you have to ignore shit, to get other shit done.

Art: Steadily producing, starting to plan a large work, like X feet by Y feet, X and Y > 3.

Also, the painting that I put in a show got 5-6 sec. of screen time in a video for an NPR news (radio) show.

Here's the piece:

The video is on my studio FB page

So clearly...

giphy.gif

diddy_money.gif

• Like 4