• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

bigm141414

Bigm is here

On 1/5/2019 at 4:59 PM, CourtnieMarie said:

Love Adrienne! She’s my go-to as well. 

Seems a fair bit of nerds have heard of her channel. There's even an accountabilibuddy group doing her 30 day challenge this month. As to be expected, nerds find only the best things on the interwebs. 

20 minutes ago, Urgan said:

I hear cake helps get through the sticking points in the gym.

Must I remind you: 

Cheezburger Image 8303316992

• Like 1

Week1.1 Official start day is here! 

Yoga - Check. This was a fun one. Lots of crunches to burn zee abs. I'll definitely be revisiting this video at a later date because it was awful and I want to see how I improve. 

Lifts - rest day so nothing planned. I'll probably work on pullups and other stretching stuff this evening. 

Official start-of-challenge weigh-in: 228.2lbs at 28% BF (so says my scale, take the BF number with a grain of salt). 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

Week1.1 Official start day is here! 

Yoga - Check. This was a fun one. Lots of crunches to burn zee abs. I'll definitely be revisiting this video at a later date because it was awful and I want to see how I improve. 

Lifts - rest day so nothing planned. I'll probably work on pullups and other stretching stuff this evening. 

Official start-of-challenge weigh-in: 228.2lbs at 28% BF (so says my scale, take the BF number with a grain of salt). 

Wait, yoga has crunches? I thought it was soft and friendly.

Personally, I like to imagine that my evil electronic scale of shame overestimates my BF. 

Week1.2

Yoga - Check. A quick 17 min video this morning. Less stretch and more flowing movement. The deep lunges felt great on my hips and upper quads.Lifting - Check. See below for details. Upped the weight from just the bar and it didn't feel bad. No issues with my knees or my ankle during squats. Sliding leg curls felt good. Abs I worked on flutter kicks while I watched the Amazing Games Done quick charity live stream (one of my favorite yearly events, week long 24 hr live stream of people speed running all sorts of video games to raise money for charity). I lost count of how many sets of 20 I did. More than 5 less than 10 I think. 

sets reps rx actual
Day 1 - Tue Jan 8, 2019  
Bench 2 5   55
to 10RM then 95% 1x10, 1 5   65
90% 2x10 1 3   75
  1 10   55
  1 10   55
  2 10   55
Squat 2 5   55
90% 2x10 1 3   75
  1 10   55
  1 10   55
  2 10   55
Good morning 3 5   55
Ham raise 4 8    
Abs - flutter kicks many? 20    

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 8:47 AM, Harriet said:

Wait, yoga has crunches? I thought it was soft and friendly.

Personally, I like to imagine that my evil electronic scale of shame overestimates my BF. 

Yoga does have crunches, and the only thing soft and friendly in this challenge is my mid-section. 

Yeeeaaaah. BF% on a scale is definitely wonky. And very temperamental. I've gotten in the habit of taking a weight measurement at the same time and under the same-ish conditions daily. Basically wake up, use the restroom, and then step on the scale. That way at least I can see general trends in the data and not obsess about the raw number. 

5 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Yeeeaaaah. BF% on a scale is definitely wonky. And very temperamental. I've gotten in the habit of taking a weight measurement at the same time and under the same-ish conditions daily. Basically wake up, use the restroom, and then step on the scale. That way at least I can see general trends in the data and not obsess about the raw number. 

That is smart (the not obsessing part). If it's a bioimpedence type BF% scale, it will be heavily influenced by electrolyte levels and general fluid balance.

13 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

7 hours ago, Blocky said:

That is smart (the not obsessing part). If it's a bioimpedence type BF% scale, it will be heavily influenced by electrolyte levels and general fluid balance.

If you have the patience to watch for trends without obsessing, I applaud you. I struggle with this. The scales pretty consistently tell me I'm a bit too fat, and am verging on being unacceptable as a person. In those exact words. But I found a new muscle today in my side, so fork you, scale. 

Updates! 

Week1.3

Yoga - Check. This one threw me off since it was a very relaxation heavy session, which felt weird since I had just woke up. Thanks yoga, for putting me back to sleep :) 

Lifting - rest day. True rest day, didn't do much at all after getting off of work. 

Week1.4 

Yoga - Check. More active than yesterday. Balance was off in some of the lunge movements so lots of wobbliness 

Lifting - See below for stats. My arms were burning after the first set of 10 OHP at 55lbs. Deloading to just the bar left just right though. So progress. DLs were okay. Still trying to relearn how to move with these, but such light weight makes it easier for me to mess up my form. Left knee groaned a bit on the 2 second set which means I was doing something incorrect. Chins were easier today than they were last week. I really need to start doing these everyday when I have a few spare moments. Pullup progress is best done by greasing the groove ya know. 

sets reps rx actual
Jan 10, 2019  
Shoulder press 2 5   55
90% 2x10 1 3   75
  1 10   55
  1 10   45
  2 10   45
Deadlift 1 5   65
to 10RM then 95% 1x10, 2 4   75
90% 2x10 1 3   85
  1 10   55
  1 10   55
  2 10   55
Superman holds 5
20s/10s

Chins - band assisted 4 8   4

On 1/9/2019 at 1:18 AM, Blocky said:

Yup. It's a bioimpedence type. Long ago I researched the equations they use to interpolate the resistive measure into a BF% and it seems every manufacture and every model has a different equation. Back in my younger days when I had a goal to reduce BF I use the multipoint tape measure method and that at least gave closer/more consistent results. 

On 1/9/2019 at 9:09 AM, Harriet said:

If you have the patience to watch for trends without obsessing, I applaud you. I struggle with this. The scales pretty consistently tell me I'm a bit too fat, and am verging on being unacceptable as a person. In those exact words. But I found a new muscle today in my side, so fork you, scale. 

Patience comes from being at this fitness thing for a long time. Back when I first started the boards I was terribly obsessed with my weight (being young and fat I thought that shedding the pounds would make me a happier person, hah!). Then after I started getting strong I cared less about appearance and scales and more about performance. One of my first performance based idols was Spencer Moorman. Back then he was this big, slightly chubby dude who was clean and jerking 200+ kilos. I still, from time to time, will watch his attempt at Grace (30 clean and jerks for time). After I noticed how well these bigger athletes moved with grace and power, something clicked in my brain and the scale number meant less as a goal and was just another data point. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigm141414 said:

Patience comes from being at this fitness thing for a long time. Back when I first started the boards I was terribly obsessed with my weight (being young and fat I thought that shedding the pounds would make me a happier person, hah!). Then after I started getting strong I cared less about appearance and scales and more about performance. One of my first performance based idols was Spencer Moorman. Back then he was this big, slightly chubby dude who was clean and jerking 200+ kilos. I still, from time to time, will watch his attempt at Grace (30 clean and jerks for time). After I noticed how well these bigger athletes moved with grace and power, something clicked in my brain and the scale number meant less as a goal and was just another data point. 

I have a similar story... for me though it was watching Misha Koklayev gracefully (maybe not gracefully... but very smoothly) deadlift 400+ kg.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

It comes from the other side of the fence, too. Skinny, weak (and I mean, couldn't start with an empty barbell weak...) person scared of putting on weight and slowly turning to flabby goo as so many office working types do, seeing what bigger and stronger looks like and deciding that was what my life needed to be about from now on. It's a conversion of thinking the scale is the sole indicator of your (lack of) virtue to using it as a proxy measurement for goals only tangentially related to daily body weight. 

• Like 3

This video is amazing. I have never done olympic weightlifting but it looks very draining, like a deadlift but more so. Very impressed by his uncomplaining persistence at the very hard thing.

And the patience thing makes sense. When I started in February last year I was totally impatient because I wanted ALL the PRs and was pretty certain I would be a fitness model, or maybe just really thin, in next to no time (and also that this was necessary for happiness). That sense of urgency has waned a bit and I'm enjoying just showing up and putting the work in, even if it's a no-PR day or even a did-worse-than-last-time day (overhead press, pfff).

24 minutes ago, Urgan said:

thinking the scale is the sole indicator of your (lack of) virtue to using it as a proxy measurement for goals only tangentially related to daily body weight. 

I know what you mean. I have trouble not treating the scale like an indicator of my (lack) of worth, so I'm just avoiding it for now. 

11 hours ago, Blocky said:

I have a similar story... for me though it was watching Misha Koklayev gracefully (maybe not gracefully... but very smoothly) deadlift 400+ kg.

He made that look... kinda easy! Wow. 

Patience comes from being at this fitness thing for a long time.

And from being at this being alive thing for a longer time compared to when we started. There is a lot to be said for growing older and through experiencing life learning about more ourselves and what we truly want to get out of both fitness and life in general.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I know what you mean. I have trouble not treating the scale like an indicator of my (lack) of worth, so I'm just avoiding it for now. 

I had the worst self-esteem. Worst. Fast forward to the part where I finally got a boyfriend that became a fiancee. Sort of became the leader and you can't be the leader and keep kicking yourself in the head at the same time. Well, maybe you can, but it's tricky, requires a lot of flexibility and compartmentalization borderline on a split personality. The first thing I did was just not tell myself the bad things I would say in my head and out loud. Like, I still believed them but just didn't dwell on them, write them, or repeat them. I did this because I couldn't actively confront and refute the bad things because I still believed them and really didn't even want to refute them. It gets easier to emotionally separate from the emotional attachment you have to the negative self-image as a description that fits you. Or negative whatever, it works on the scale, it works on abstract concepts. The words you tell yourself really matter and while you don't have the scale in your face all the time is a great time to practice just not assigning improper value to it. 

tl;dr accidental self-therapy is a thing. It exists.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Blocky said:

12 hours ago, Urgan said:

It comes from the other side of the fence, too. Skinny, weak (and I mean, couldn't start with an empty barbell weak...) person scared of putting on weight and slowly turning to flabby goo as so many office working types do, seeing what bigger and stronger looks like and deciding that was what my life needed to be about from now on. It's a conversion of thinking the scale is the sole indicator of your (lack of) virtue to using it as a proxy measurement for goals only tangentially related to daily body weight. 

11 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

And from being at this being alive thing for a longer time compared to when we started. There is a lot to be said for growing older and through experiencing life learning about more ourselves and what we truly want to get out of both fitness and life in general.

There's some sagely Warrior positivity going on in here. I like it. 

11 hours ago, Harriet said:

This video is amazing. I have never done olympic weightlifting but it looks very draining, like a deadlift but more so. Very impressed by his uncomplaining persistence at the very hard thing.

I love my deadlifts as much as the next meathead, but second to that is the olympic lifts. It's ballet with a barbell. Everything about the lifts, the mechanics, the techniques, the details, the wide variety of training requirements hits all points in the pleasure centers of my lizard brain. Not necessarily any harder than other strength sports but it's my jam. :D

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Urgan said:

I did this because I couldn't actively confront and refute the bad things because I still believed them and really didn't even want to refute them. It gets easier to emotionally separate from the emotional attachment you have to the negative self-image as a description that fits you.

Thanks for sharing, I really like reading others' stories. Recently I've been reading some body positivity books and I agree with them theoretically, but don't really feel it about myself. Well, not on bad days. But I think going through the motions and making the right noises can be a way to grease the groove of positivity, as it were, even if you're still emotionally attached to the negative thoughts. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bigm141414 said:

I love my deadlifts as much as the next meathead, but second to that is the olympic lifts. It's ballet with a barbell. Everything about the lifts, the mechanics, the techniques, the details, the wide variety of training requirements hits all points in the pleasure centers of my lizard brain. Not necessarily any harder than other strength sports but it's my jam. :D

You make it sound so appealing I want to try it! *runs off to google olympic lifts and watch videos*

13 hours ago, Harriet said:

Thanks for sharing, I really like reading others' stories. Recently I've been reading some body positivity books and I agree with them theoretically, but don't really feel it about myself. Well, not on bad days. But I think going through the motions and making the right noises can be a way to grease the groove of positivity, as it were, even if you're still emotionally attached to the negative thoughts. 

Fake it 'til you make it totally works for changing deep-rooted mental habits. The brain will eventually adapt and follow along with the motions you've been going through, and the negative emotional attachment will break and redirect itself.

I don't know if this is something you've tried in the past, but what seems to work very well for me is to meditate over positive self-talk. I've come a very long way from the insecurities and self-loathing I used to base a very negative self-image on. Because I'm paranoid about relapsing in that direction, I spend a lot of time and effort maintaining a positive self-image, and even more on a positive body-image. Taking a positive statement about my self or my body, and then reflecting on it for several minutes, has really helped me over the years.

• Like 1

Alright, let's have some updates. 

Week1.5

Yoga - Check 

Lifting - Nah. Was a rest day my dudes. 

Weeks 1.6

Yoga - Check. This was a challenge. I knew right away. The video's thumbnail was of crow pose. Which meant a bunch of balance-y stuff. And I was correct. Lots of one legged movements. Great for training my ankles and overall sense of body, but man does it humble me to know that I need two feet on the ground at all times. Saved the video for later playback because damned if I am not going to get better. 

Lifting - Check. See below for the deets. Things went well. Just for fun I added a behind the neck Sots press (like the video except with the bar behind me) on my last squat. The joys of light weights. Dips were okay. Still working on getting them right on the rings. I swing too much. As with the chins work, I really should be greasing the groove with these every day. Abs, I haven't done yet, but plan to do a variety of stuff during the afternoon. Still got time. 

sets reps rx actual
Day 3 - Jan 12, 2019  
Squat 2 5   55
3x10 @ 90% 10RM 1 5   65
10+1 sotts 2 3   75
  3 10   55
Bench 2 5   65
3x10 @ 90% 10RM 1 5   75
  1 3   85
  3 10   65
Dips - Band assisted 4

Good morning 3 5   65
Abs        
  • Like 1

Week1.7 

Yoga - Check. A quick 20-ish minute video. 

Lifting - Check see below for the deets. Overall it went well. Except I kept losing count on the tempo squats. Ended up 8-9 seconds in the hole on several sets. I guess you could say I was achieving zen while sitting in the bottom of my squat. Joints felt good too. I think I am stating to remember how to do this lifting thing. 

sets reps   actual
Day 4 - Jan 13, 2019  
Deadlift 1 5   65
3x10 @ 90% 10RM 2 4   75
  1 3   85
  3 10   65
Shoulder press 2 5   55
3x10 @ 90% 10RM 1 5   65
  1 4   75
  3 10   45
Tempo front squat 1 1   55
Tempo = 07x15 1 1   65
to heavy single then 1 1   75
3x3 @ 82.5% 3 3   55
BB rows 5 10   65
Superman holds 5
20s/10s

Week 1 Summary

So let's wrap up the week overall: 

Yoga - 7 for 7. No issues here getting in a session every day. 

Lifting - Check, I have followed the program without too many modifcations. It's starting to get easier to find the motivation to do this. Half way through my 4 week block. 

Drinking - No drinks at all in 2019 so far. So that's good. A couple of stressful work days in the the last few weeks but I didn't give in to the urge to have a beer or whiskey. 

Looking to the week ahead I have 2 back to back 7am meetings (hooray global company!) on Wed. and Thurs. That means that my morning routine will have to be efficient. Wake up, yoga, coffee, shower, get in the car. Probably won't have time for breakfast so I'll need to pack a bit extra for lunch. As for the lifts I am fast approaching the end of my current program so I need to figure out the next section. I've got some ideas so I'll be spending the week piecing together the next 6 or so weeks of my training. Stay tuned to details. 

• Like 2

On 1/13/2019 at 7:12 PM, bigm141414 said:

Drinking - No drinks at all in 2019 so far. So that's good. A couple of stressful work days in the the last few weeks but I didn't give in to the urge to have a beer or whiskey. 

This is pretty awesome. Reducing my wine consumption was one of the hardest things for me because it brought such enjoyment and no one glass seem that harmful. I had to get to a point where I was really sick of not getting enough sleep and willing to try anything.