• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RogueLibrarian

RogueLibrarian steals into 2019

Happy new year, Assassins!

So, here's a thing. This is the year in which I'll turn 50.

But we all know that Assassins continue to kick ass a lot longer than that.

tumblr_oleja96tBG1vxwe9to1_500.gif

It's been a really good year. I discovered martial arts, I made some career strides, and I'm generally getting my shit together. The eternal boss fight against middle age continues as I strive to level up in strength and resilience and looking good naked.

DIET

• Salad once a week. 
  • Healthy meal prep every weekend.
    • I gained a few pounds over the holiday break; time to work on getting lean around the middle again.

EXERCISE

• 3 workouts a week: probably karate class, kickboxing class, and a freestyle
  • Don't miss a karate class
    • Another belt test in two months.

LIFE

• Something something writing. Let's say writing at least once a week this challenge. I didn't get very far with this last month, but I really want to jump-start this habit again.

SIDE QUESTS

• Set some big 2019 goals
    • Probably one of these will be writing related, and one about doing some work with the Handstands & Rings pack I bought a few months ago

Backstory, if you're just joining us: I'm a vegetarian bi librarian sometimes author who loves rogues thieves and assassins and Ninja Warrior and I just earned my first karate belt a few weeks ago and I like hitting heavy bags and doesn't rock climb as much as I'd like to and I'm trying to write a novel and I meditate every day and I think you're caught up.

• Like 6

LET'S DO THIS WEEK 0 wooooo

I have the rest of the week off work. 

Kettlebell class on the calendar for about four hours from now. Tomorrow I'm taking kickboxing in the morning. LET'S SEE HOW WELL THOSE TWO GO BACK TO BACK

Healthy lunch of the traditional southern New Year's collard greens and black-eyed peas. Making a big-ass salad for dinner and some hummus to have around as a snack. The holiday desserts are almost gone and I'm almost back to my habit of fat-free yogurt for dessert.

Karate class starts up again next week.

54 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Backstory, if you're just joining us: I'm a vegetarian bi librarian sometimes author who loves rogues thieves and assassins and Ninja Warrior and I just earned my first karate belt a few weeks ago and I like hitting heavy bags and doesn't rock climb as much as I'd like to and I'm trying to write a novel and I meditate every day and I think you're caught up.

so-hot-right-now-23482456.png

Look forward to seeing you keep kicking butt this year!

55 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:
    • Another belt test in two months.

Whaaat so soon?!

22 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Look forward to seeing you keep kicking butt this year!

I will strive to give satisfaction!

22 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Whaaat so soon?!

Well, there's one every eight weeks at the end of a class cycle. I don't have to test every time. :) But I think advanced gold test (my next one) is pretty similar to the previous test, so I'll probably do it? I'll find out next week what's up.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Well, there's one every eight weeks at the end of a class cycle. I don't have to test every time. :) But I think advanced gold test (my next one) is pretty similar to the previous test, so I'll probably do it? I'll find out next week what's up.

Cool! If you're ready you should absolutely go for it.

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Cool! If you're ready you should absolutely go for it.

I didn't think I'd be ready for the last one and I was wrong, so I'll talk to the instructors about it first. But I haven't seen anything to indicate that there's new material to be learned for advanced; I think I just have to ... be better at it? We'll see.

35 minutes ago, raptron said:

Another week off? Cushyyy. ;) 

Right? We took off three days before my break due to Ms Rogue's work schedule, so I've had an extra long one this year. Not a complaint.

12 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

strive to level up in strength and resilience and looking good naked

Seems we're both in same fight against middle age :D 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Kettlebell class on the calendar for about four hours from now. Tomorrow I'm taking kickboxing in the morning. LET'S SEE HOW WELL THOSE TWO GO BACK TO BACK

NOPE that was a wildly optimistic plan. Not up for kickboxing today. Kickboxing Saturday. Today I'll try to take a walk if it's not raining.

22 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

So, here's a thing. This is the year in which I'll turn 50.

But we all know that Assassins continue to kick ass a lot longer than that.

It's been a really good year. I discovered martial arts, I made some career strides, and I'm generally getting my shit together. The eternal boss fight against middle age continues as I strive to level up in strength and resilience and looking good naked.

You're an inspiration to everyone... I'm hitting 40 this year and am definitely aiming for still lifting at 100. Keep on owning it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

You're an inspiration to everyone... I'm hitting 40 this year and am definitely aiming for still lifting at 100. Keep on owning it. 

LukeSkywalker.jpg

^me except I know what I'm doing much, much less

5 hours ago, Moros said:

Following! 

shirt-1487605343-acdb6141b940834ac0e1b6a

:encouragement:

deaG26Hl.png

3 hours ago, Asa Pond said:

bOtil90YBAA6ZZdfgNPegRsAEjWNnQyrl7vITTKk

heyyyyy pretty lady how YOU doin'

25 minutes ago, karinajean said:

more detail about salad please --> I am expecting it is as fancy as you are. 

Aw shucks. I'm fancy?

Lettuce, artichoke hearts, tomatoes, olives, chickpeas, red onion, spinach. Not sure that's fancy. :) I just made some hummus to snack on this afternoon and I'm making goulash (zucchini and tomatoes and beans) for dinner, a recipe I haven't tried before. Ms Rogue is working late (she works in TV and has a broadcast tonight) so I'm on my own for the evening.

I slept poorly last night so I took a glorious nap after lunch today, enjoying the extra vacation very much. I think this is a sweatpants on the couch day; I always forget how intense their kettlebell classes are, especially after a break. (They're short, so somehow I always think they'll be easier, but they are like 150% of a kickboxing class and I discover new muscles the next day.) And now: Netflix or Xbox? There's really no wrong answer.

Tomorrow I'm headed out to have lunch with my tattoo artist over in Athens. We usually have a beer but I've gotten pretty good at stopping at one.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

^me except I know what I'm doing much, much less

I mean to be fair you do seem to be a lot more well adjusted than living like a hermit in the middle of nowhere.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I mean to be fair you do seem to be a lot more well adjusted than living like a hermit in the middle of nowhere.

sames. don't buy into the luke skywalker hype. you generally don't whine that much or resist making the right decision. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Hello, Rebels -- let's have that last week 0 check-in:

Kickboxing class this morning. Man, that's tough to come back to after a break of a couple of weeks, but I made it through at something close to full steam. How much am I going to hurt later? Interesting question.

Big-ass salad for lunch. I made pizza for dinner last night, only had one piece with a salad, and am saving leftovers for dinner tonight. We've got lots of veggie leftovers for lunches the first part of the week. I don't need to do meal prep today as a result, but I will have to start that routine again next weekend now that I'm going back to work tomorrow. (sob)

I can't take a gym break tomorrow at work, but I might do a Monday night karate class; if not, I will do a Tuesday workout. I need to get a regular schedule on my calendar again now that the semester is starting back up. I'm not looking forward to the January gym crowds!

Some potentially exciting 2019 adventures are taking shape. For one thing, we're talking about trying to do a Thailand trip to visit my family there, with a side stop in Hong Kong first. And another possible creative/adventurous/fun project with some travel later in the year that I'll talk about if it starts to materialize.

• Like 5