• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RogueLibrarian

RogueLibrarian steals into 2019

15 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

a Thailand trip to visit my family there, with a side stop in Hong Kong first

Both places with great food options.  Lots of things to see too, sure, but seriously - The Food!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ooh adventures ahead, how exciting!

18 hours ago, sylph said:

Travel adventures, ahoy! :D

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Both places with great food options.  Lots of things to see too, sure, but seriously - The Food!

Yep! I lived in Thailand with my dad as a teenager, and I get back to Asia far far too seldom. I'm very excited.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Basically all I do in Thailand is eat. :D 

We do about 75% family time and some solo tourist stuff. And my dad has a beach house where we'll spend half the trip.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

We do about 75% family time and some solo tourist stuff. And my dad has a beach house where we'll spend half the trip.

Wow, that sounds great.  

34 minutes ago, raptron said:

How'd your body feel after the kickboxing kicked in? :) 

I am not in pain today! Just a little sore. I'm thinking about maybe karate class tonight if I'm not wiped out from my first day back to work.

ooooh amazing travel!!! 

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Basically all I do in Thailand is eat. :D 

3 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

but you WILL eat, right? like, everything? and tell us about it?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, karinajean said:

but you WILL eat, right? like, everything? and tell us about it?

I PROMISE 

I'm actually talking to a NF person over on Facebook and getting veg recommendations for Hong Kong. In Thailand I just nudge my sister or stepmom and say "Hey tell them to make us something veg please" if my Thai isn't up to the task.

• Like 3

Back from my first karate class of the year! 

We had an exercise where everyone circled up and took turns in the middle, and the outside of the circle all had big shoulder pads like shields. They came at the center person one or two at a time and the center person had to strike their pads a few times before they backed off. Closest thing I've done to sparring yet and it got my adrenaline way up!

Also talked to the teacher about the next test level, and I am going to try for it at the end of this class cycle (8 weeks). I'll be going for advanced gold belt (yellow with a black stripe).

So, I think I might start going twice a week. I'm having so much fun.

• Like 8

13 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

So, I think I might start going twice a week. I'm having so much fun.

Do it!!! 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 1:37 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

Set some big 2019 goals

Let's brainstorm this a little.

Karate: I would be very proud of myself if I could hit blue belt this year. I think that's realistically possible if I stick with it. There are several blue belts in class and I think I could get there. (I keep meaning and forgetting to take a picture of my school's belt rankings so I can keep track. They have a few extra basic/advanced ranks between the colors once you start to advance.)

Rings & Handstands stuff: I keep wanting to do more of this kind of thing, so I bought the NFA pack a few months ago when it was on sale. I need to look through it and make a plan to start working with it, and maybe translate that into a goal.

Backyard gym & monkey bars workouts: sadly underused. Is this anything?

Writing: I would love to finish a draft of my novel this year. A rough, sketchy draft would make me happy as long as it exists written start to finish. I need to set some concrete goals if I want to achieve this.

Climbing: I love doing it, but I resist going because it requires contact with another human at the gym. There's solo bouldering, but our bouldering room is small. If bouldering is a goal, I need to figure out what I want to achieve rather than just "show up and see what happens."

All of the above plus kickboxing classes: Is way too much and I have to prioritize some things. (I also have a job and a marriage and other stuff going on.)

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Karate: I would be very proud of myself if I could hit blue belt this year. I think that's realistically possible if I stick with it. There are several blue belts in class and I think I could get there. (I keep meaning and forgetting to take a picture of my school's belt rankings so I can keep track. They have a few extra basic/advanced ranks between the colors once you start to advance.)

Karate was a pretty cool end-of-year portal opening on your side :surprise: Really looking forward to read more about your progress and self-confidence coming UP!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, @mu said:

Karate was a pretty cool end-of-year portal opening on your side :surprise: Really looking forward to read more about your progress and self-confidence coming UP!

Thanks! Obviously I've been pretty excited about it the last couple of months. I think -- if you'll all permit me a moment of introspection -- I have had an internal narrative (chronic anxiety is a motherfucker) telling me that I was too weak, or fragile, or slow, or too whatever, to ever try something like martial arts. That's something I've been trying to push back against harder and harder as time goes on. I'm very slowly teaching myself that saying yes to challenges is way, way more rewarding and it's really giving my confidence a shot in the arm.

consider-john-frazzled-frazzlemygimp-hom

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Afternoon workout:

Some basic bodyweight stuff, push/legs/core, with extra sets for the mini/sidequest, and I practiced my belt kata moves and some of the moves we learned yesterday that I think I'll have on my next test. I tried not to wipe myself out since I have class tomorrow, but also won't be able to work out Thursday and Friday, so let's keep this party moving.

• Like 1

I love your 2019 plans, but especially the karate stuff! Your enthusiasm is infectious and your growing confidence is really inspiring. :) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I love your 2019 plans, but especially the karate stuff! Your enthusiasm is infectious and your growing confidence is really inspiring. :) 

Thanks! Inevitably I run out of steam and start grumbling, but I'm enjoying the high while it lasts.

SO HERE IS A THING.

On 1/6/2019 at 1:10 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

And another possible creative/adventurous/fun project with some travel later in the year that I'll talk about if it starts to materialize.

This has materialized. I'm going to be writing & GMing for a LARP later this year. I'm amazed at the scope of this project. It's set on a spaceship, and they are renting out a REAL BATTLESHIP as the venue. They're installing computers, creating software and graphics to be the ship's controls, there is a costumer on staff making uniforms for every player. This thing is nuts. So I'm going to be writing a bunch of player characters, helping craft the story, and then flying 800 miles to play on a battlespaceship for two long weekends. I am embracing the "say yes to adventures" mantra.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

This has materialized. I'm going to be writing & GMing for a LARP later this year. I'm amazed at the scope of this project. It's set on a spaceship, and they are renting out a REAL BATTLESHIP as the venue. They're installing computers, creating software and graphics to be the ship's controls, there is a costumer on staff making uniforms for every player. This thing is nuts. So I'm going to be writing a bunch of player characters, helping craft the story, and then flying 800 miles to play on a battlespaceship for two long weekends. I am embracing the "say yes to adventures" mantra.

THIS IS SO COOL! :o

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Whoa. That is remarkably elaborate :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Whaaaaat. That's dope! Where is it??

• Like 1