• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RogueLibrarian

RogueLibrarian steals into 2019

6 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Stressing out over a (short-term) money crisis and not getting much work done. Time for a podcast and a walk around the block; hopefully moving my body around will help.

Doh!  Hope it levels out soon.  Money stuff is always aggravating...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Moros said:

Doh!  Hope it levels out soon.  Money stuff is always aggravating...

Endlessly so. 

In better news, KARATE IS REALLY FUN and I feel better after hitting some stuff.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Bay City Michigan. (I'd never heard of it either. :) )

Oh shit... you'll be just up the road from me (up the road as in like an hour, anyway)

• Like 2

On 1/2/2019 at 10:37 AM, RogueLibrarian said:

So, here's a thing. This is the year in which I'll turn 50

No, this must be a lie. I would have never guessed this. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Stressing out over a (short-term) money crisis and not getting much work done. Time for a podcast and a walk around the block; hopefully moving my body around will help.

That sucks dude. What podcast did you listen to?

6 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I always say that not having children keeps one young.

Maybe that's why I still get carded. :D 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

That sucks dude. What podcast did you listen to?

Friends of mine do a podcast called Supercontext where they do a deep dive on a different piece of culture (novel, movie, album, etc) every week. Interesting and distracting. :)

Thanks, everyone -- I'm fine. Not in danger of losing my house or anything. Just a post-holiday domestic budget crunch that seemed to come at us out of nowhere. Gym membership payment didn't clear yesterday while we're transferring money around to cover bills, so I was upset that I might not be able to go to karate class last night (we emailed, it was fine, they told Ms Rogue "Don't you guys dare miss your workout classes!"). This doesn't happen often, but we let Xmas get the better of us, I guess. We're on top of it, but no new video games in January.

6 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Maybe that's why I still get carded. :D 

That stopped for me about the time I started to get white in my beard. :)

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 9:03 AM, RogueLibrarian said:

This has materialized. I'm going to be writing & GMing for a LARP later this year. I'm amazed at the scope of this project. It's set on a spaceship, and they are renting out a REAL BATTLESHIP as the venue. They're installing computers, creating software and graphics to be the ship's controls, there is a costumer on staff making uniforms for every player. This thing is nuts. So I'm going to be writing a bunch of player characters, helping craft the story, and then flying 800 miles to play on a battlespaceship for two long weekends. I am embracing the "say yes to adventures" mantra.

YAY! It's happening???

26 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Meetup! I'm going to try to bug Asa Pond too. :)

Um. Bugging won't be necessary. I'm there.

22 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Bay City Michigan. (I'd never heard of it either. :) )

Not going to lie - I had to google it. About where I expected it to be but you never know in Michigan.

11 hours ago, sylph said:

Oh shit... you'll be just up the road from me (up the road as in like an hour, anyway)

Wait. Really??? Where are you fellow Michigander???

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Friends of mine do a podcast called Supercontext where they do a deep dive on a different piece of culture (novel, movie, album, etc) every week. Interesting and distracting. :)

Cool!

I'm glad the monies are under control, it's still really annoying having to deal with it. I'm sort of in the same boat after the tax office decided to steal all my money. Love the gym's attitude though! :)

On 1/9/2019 at 5:33 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

It's set on a spaceship, and they are renting out a REAL BATTLESHIP as the venue. They're installing computers, creating software and graphics to be the ship's controls, there is a costumer on staff making uniforms for every player.

O-M-G!!! :surprise:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Asa Pond said:

YAY! It's happening???

IT'S OFFICIAL. I'm gonna go to Michigan and play spaceships in November. It's called Outbound Hope if anyone wants to google it. I'm going to be assigned to write story and characters for one group/faction of characters, not sure what yet (e.g. my friend who recruited me is writing the engineering/science team since he's building a lot of their tech). There are crew and officers and colonists and a couple of small gunships. I'll get to do shit like tell the space pirates when it's time to attack. Oh, and they hired another librarian I know. I'm trying to recruit all librarian GMs now.

12 minutes ago, Asa Pond said:

Um. Bugging won't be necessary. I'm there.

SO EXCITE. 

8 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'm glad the monies are under control, it's still really annoying having to deal with it. I'm sort of in the same boat after the tax office decided to steal all my money. Love the gym's attitude though! :)

Well, it will be under control by the end of the month, and we're not gonna starve before then. :) 

I'm constantly reminded that I chose the best possible gym when Ms. Rogue said she wanted to take kickboxing classes three years ago. I was careful to pick a place that looked like it was free of macho bro bullshit (I suspect a lot of martial arts gyms have this), because I knew neither of us would be comfortable there, but I was really lucky to find a place that's owned and staffed by patient, kind, enthusiastic people. Lots of diversity and they really have a feeling of community. 

I was thinking about this last night -- if I had been at all intimidated or discouraged by my first karate class, I'd never have stuck with it past the first week.

2 minutes ago, @mu said:

O-M-G!!! :surprise:

I know! I think I maybe even get a free hat if I play my cards right. ... space hat, I mean.

Space cards.

• Like 2

Ahghgh, money stuff is the pits. But, I'm glad your gym is the COOLEST and CHILLEST and MOST SUPPORTIVE and is continuing to look out for your guys. And that punching in karate made you feel better. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I was thinking about this last night -- if I had been at all intimidated or discouraged by my first karate class, I'd never have stuck with it past the first week.

SO TRUE! The first session can really make or break an activity and it takes so little to make someone feel welcome.

6 minutes ago, raptron said:

Ahghgh, money stuff is the pits. But, I'm glad your gym is the COOLEST and CHILLEST and MOST SUPPORTIVE and is continuing to look out for your guys.

All true. And the money stuff bites us on the ass far less frequently than it used to.

Gym has kind of become one of our happy places, much to my surprise. Last night I was commending Ms. Rogue for getting back on the fitness train since returning from the holiday break, and she said she really thinks of it as "me time" where she's doing something only for herself and she's accountable to no one else. I really like that.

6 minutes ago, raptron said:

And that punching in karate made you feel better. 

If I've learned anything on my fitness journey, it is that PUNCHING IS GREAT.

Seriously, I went most of the previous 47 years doing practically no punching. I was really missing out.

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

SO TRUE! The first session can really make or break an activity and it takes so little to make someone feel welcome.

The first couple of classes I was literally kicking myself off my feet and falling on my ass, and the instructors were right there with a hand up and "Yep, happens a lot at first, don't panic. You good to go? Great," and then a couple of weeks later were stopping me to point out how much better and more confidently I was doing the moves. That's helping me every time I'm struggling with a new move now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Meetup! I'm going to try to bug Asa Pond too. :)

Presuming I don't run fleeing from the state by then, absolutely! (This winter has not been bad but I am TIRED of winter overall)

1 hour ago, Asa Pond said:

Wait. Really??? Where are you fellow Michigander???

Ann Arbor-ish. You?

30 minutes ago, Asa Pond said:

All this karate talk is making me miss Krav Maga. :(

One more year of school and then you'll have time to add KM back into your life, right?

30 minutes ago, Asa Pond said:

Jealous because you sound like such a badass!

I'm trying, babe. I don't always get there but I'm trying. :)

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

+1!

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Gym has kind of become one of our happy places, much to my surprise. Last night I was commending Ms. Rogue for getting back on the fitness train since returning from the holiday break, and she said she really thinks of it as "me time" where she's doing something only for herself and she's accountable to no one else. I really like that.

Feels very similar here. My space, my time. I still have to make do with a busy schedule sometimes, but I've gotten better at preserving that space (physically and mentally).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I always say that not having children keeps one young.

Without any real research, just observations, I concur and believe this to be the truth. 

3 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Thanks, everyone -- I'm fine. Not in danger of losing my house or anything. Just a post-holiday domestic budget crunch that seemed to come at us out of nowhere. Gym membership payment didn't clear yesterday while we're transferring money around to cover bills, so I was upset that I might not be able to go to karate class last night (we emailed, it was fine, they told Ms Rogue "Don't you guys dare miss your workout classes!"). This doesn't happen often, but we let Xmas get the better of us, I guess. We're on top of it, but no new video games in January.

The Holiday debt we put ourselves in makes January rough for a lot of people. You got this and it will stabilize soon. :) 

Also your gym sounds amazing. I'm happy you and Ms Rogue found it!

Up at 6am. Back from an all-day conference out of town (good but tiring, lining up my professional service plans for the year), returned rental car, walked a mile back from the rental car place, hopped into my car to buy stuff for pizza and salad tomorrow, came home, did a load of dishes, threw laundry in, now in pajamas watching Netflix for the rest of the evening. So tired. 

I will no doubt crash hard and reasonably early tonight; kickboxing class tomorrow morning. I need to total my points for the week at some point, but not tonight. :)

• Like 5

On 1/9/2019 at 6:26 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

In better news, KARATE IS REALLY FUN and I feel better after hitting some stuff.

HITTING THINGS IS FUN

On 1/10/2019 at 7:46 AM, RogueLibrarian said:

IT'S OFFICIAL. I'm gonna go to Michigan and play spaceships in November. It's called Outbound Hope if anyone wants to google it. I'm going to be assigned to write story and characters for one group/faction of characters, not sure what yet (e.g. my friend who recruited me is writing the engineering/science team since he's building a lot of their tech). There are crew and officers and colonists and a couple of small gunships. I'll get to do shit like tell the space pirates when it's time to attack. Oh, and they hired another librarian I know. I'm trying to recruit all librarian GMs now.

This sounds AMAZING. I got to visit an aircraft carrier once and the whole time I was totally pretending to be in Battlestar Galactica. So this sounds amazing.

On 1/10/2019 at 7:11 AM, RogueLibrarian said:

Just a post-holiday domestic budget crunch that seemed to come at us out of nowhere.

Man, that's tough. I'm having a little bit of that too and it's tough. <3

• Like 2

16 hours ago, traaki said:

HITTING THINGS IS FUN

Confirmed: Just back from hitting things (kickboxing class, so hard, did not pass out or barf, enjoyed hitting things)

This sounds AMAZING. I got to visit an aircraft carrier once and the whole time I was totally pretending to be in Battlestar Galactica. So this sounds amazing.

Obviously Galactica is a big influence on this one. The director is a big military SF fan.

Man, that's tough. I'm having a little bit of that too and it's tough. <3

I guess everybody does from time to time, and I think there's a lot of it going around this time of year. But we made it to the next paycheck. :)

14 hours ago, tourennatrix said:

:o so much excitement and adventure! Glad to see you're doing so well :)

HEY BUDDY LOOK WHO'S BACK I did a double-take when I saw your name pop up! Hi!

• Like 1