• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RogueLibrarian

RogueLibrarian steals into 2019

THANKS, EVERYONE! I'm feeling very good about it. @sylph, this may or may not actually be the last time I actually have to do this. We don't always go up for full professor. We're weird; librarians here are faculty but not tenure-track, one of a few populations on campus (I think there are some clinical nursing faculty who are NTT as well, but it's unusual). I have no obligation to go up again if I don't want to, and there are only a small handful of full profs in the library. (I think even our dean is an associate prof.) If I'm still here in five years I'll probably start thinking about it. :) Probably will partly depend on how much of a raise I get this time....

• Like 2

OH HECK KARATE AND BATTLESHIPS AND PROMOTIONS  you are having the best 2019 *so far.*

rando thoughts after reading all these pages at once

* yo karate is the best, right? what kind of sparring does your class practice - is it contact with full pads? no contact with just gloves? something in between? 

* that space battleship game sounds freakin AMAZING. also, getting to meet up with MI peeps!!!

you're doing amazing, friend. so amazing.

• Like 1

Oh right, fitness

Last night I made a big batch of vegetable fajitas, added some refried beans for protein. Very simple and good. Also picked up salad stuff, hoping I'll have time and energy to make salad for tonight's dinner before (or late dinner after?) karate class. But I also have to stop to buy cat food. If not salad tonight, then tomorrow night before D&D.

Just now, karinajean said:

OH HECK KARATE AND BATTLESHIPS AND PROMOTIONS  you are having the best 2019 *so far.*

2 weeks in, no complaints

* yo karate is the best, right? what kind of sparring does your class practice - is it contact with full pads? no contact with just gloves? something in between? 

Karate is so fun! We do contact with full pads. I'd have to pick up a set of gear and we're on a no-extra-expenditures policy until the end of the month, but I will be doing this soon even though (because) it scares me. Stuff that scares you is worth XP, right?

* that space battleship game sounds freakin AMAZING. also, getting to meet up with MI peeps!!!

Right? Not until the end of the year, but it's gonna be amazing. 

I've seen a ship map for the game, and all of a sudden, WHOA, that's a real 400-foot battleship. (I don't think I can share the map yet, but when/if it goes up on the website I will). 

you're doing amazing, friend. so amazing.

Feeling good, babe. Thank you. (Ms. Rogue is in NYC for a few days next week, but it's a quick hit & run trip with little free time, so I am not tagging along on this one.)

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Asa Pond said:

Omg I'm so behind. CONGRATS ON THE PROMOTION! So stoked for you friend!

Also look at you lookin all assassin-y in that picture. 

22 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Grats on the recommendation, that's a great boost for the year. Very nice pictures, too, you look super focused and deadly assassin-y. 

Can I just say that you friends telling me I look assassin-y is really one of the best thing that's happened to me this week? And that's a week in which I got the thumbs up on promotion. Thank you.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, raptron said:

BIG-ASS-SALAD. :D 

Love me a big-ass salad. @Manarelle, you crazy.

• Salad (1/1): evidence above
  • Meal prep (1/1): very good & easy & healthy fajitas. Will cook again.
  • Workouts (2/3): 2 karate classes, and I'll probably take a gym break tomorrow afternoon and kickboxing is on Saturday's agenda, so I'm knocking this one out of the park so far.
  • Writing (0/1): Tomorrow? Like 100 words even? Putting it on my calendar.
  • Setting 2019 big goals: still in progress. 
  • Like 1

Also, Karate Buddy and I chatted with a different instructor last night after class and he confirmed that yeah, we can't start sparring soon enough. It's required for green belts (he didn't specify whether that meant "to reach green belt" or "after you achieve green belt," but I'm not too far below either one). He spelled out what gear we need and said that I can order a set through the school or find my own; Ms Rogue said I should probably just get it through the school, to support them and also then I know I'll have the exact kind they recommend. He added "And you'll also need a jock strap" and I was like "Great THANK YOU I love discussing this in front of my new young female friend"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Also, Karate Buddy and I chatted with a different instructor last night after class and he confirmed that yeah, we can't start sparring soon enough. It's required for green belts (he didn't specify whether that meant "to reach green belt" or "after you achieve green belt," but I'm not too far below either one). He spelled out what gear we need and said that I can order a set through the school or find my own; Ms Rogue said I should probably just get it through the school, to support them and also then I know I'll have the exact kind they recommend. He added "And you'll also need a jock strap" and I was like "Great THANK YOU I love discussing this in front of my new young female friend"

DeficientAngelicHoneybadger-small.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Love me a big-ass salad. @Manarelle, you crazy.

Weird-o (said in a loving tone, but still). Glad it works for you. 

22 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

LOL. In much the same way that (many of us) females recognize the need and dislike for sports bras, and wish they and other female realities could just be discussed without difficulties, we also recognize that there are practical concerns for men. The few times I've accidentally hit a guy there (fencing, stage fighting, etc), I felt really bad about it.... much better to be protected, no need to feel whatever about it. 

That said, @raptron's gif is spot on, sorry. :)  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Weird-o (said in a loving tone, but still). Glad it works for you. 

830528_1.jpg

LOL. In much the same way that (many of us) females recognize the need and dislike for sports bras, and wish they and other female realities could just be discussed without difficulties, we also recognize that there are practical concerns for men. The few times I've accidentally hit a guy there (fencing, stage fighting, etc), I felt really bad about it.... much better to be protected, no need to feel whatever about it. 

it's just god I wish SOMETHING could be easy for men in this world, you know

kidding please don't hit me

That said, @raptron's gif is spot on, sorry. :)  

True and fair.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Was about to give up and take writing off the challenge for this month, but then wrote a page or so that I'm happy with, and I enjoyed doing that.

I don't think I'll make the gym this afternoon, but it's warm enough that I'm going to try a walk around the block after having been at my desk all day. Then when I get back, grocery list for weekend meal prep so that I can stop at the store on the way home.

I can see that next challenge I'm going to need to add another weekly "work on projects" goal. That worked well last year.

Kickboxing class tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 6:13 PM, RogueLibrarian said:

Great THANK YOU I love discussing this in front of my new young female friend"

You only make it as awkward as you want it to be. :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I google-imaged jock strap because I wasn't sure it was the same thing I had in mind :D  I always assumed the behind was thong-like because of the shapely butt shape  (male aerialists also wear this) but no, it's a plain hole with strings around the butt. I learned something.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

You only make it as awkward as you want it to be. :P 

That's where I'm a viking.

22 minutes ago, @mu said:

I google-imaged jock strap because I wasn't sure it was the same thing I had in mind :D  I always assumed the behind was thong-like because of the shapely butt shape  (male aerialists also wear this) but no, it's a plain hole with strings around the butt. I learned something.

I *think* he was likely talking about a cup protector rather than what I think of a jock strap (which I think of as a support garment, not a protective one). I guess I'll find out. :)

OKAY LET'S STOP TALKING ABOUT THAT FOR A WHILE

Friday afternoon capper before a long weekend: This year's merit raises start January 1 rather than July 1, so I get a raise on this month's paycheck! (And promotion raise is still hypothetical but I expect another one July 1.)

• Haha 2

This discussion reminds me of a very funny thing I saw once as a teenager going to the local university pool.  Inside of every locker, they have a big sticker that says "HELP US PROTECT YOUR VALUABLES - USE A LOCK" 

One day I had found the sticker inside my locker had been defaced to read: "HELP US PROTECT YOUR VALUABLES - WEAR A JOCK" :D 

17 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

OKAY LET'S STOP TALKING ABOUT THAT FOR A WHILE

Oops, sorry... 

Congratulations on the raise :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kickboxing class done -- tough one today and I had to stop and catch my breath a few times. 

All obligations for today have been met and I've got nothing to do but watch TV  and relax until time to make dinner.

• Like 4

Forgot to note that the scale is starting to nudge in the right direction for the first time since holiday break. I'm going to try to keep nudging it. Ms. Rogue is going to be away the latter half the week, so my meal plan is simple with lots of green stuff. We've been watching an Asian food/travel show so I'm going to try to come up with something Asian-inspired and veg-heavy for tomorrow.

Today is a very, very lazy day. I'm going to do the bare essentials (some laundry and dishes and the never-ending litter box), stay in sweat pants all day, and enjoy. Tomorrow I'll at least venture out for groceries, and karate class is on tomorrow night despite the US holiday. It'll actually be good to have a reason to get out and put clothes on, I think (even just karate pants).

I got spontaneously inspired last night and wrote a bit more to capture some ideas that came to me before they slipped away, and worked on a scene I hadn't been happy with and like a lot better now. It made me happy and it's starting to feel good and not like a chore.

I'm also feeling a lot more positive and enthusiastic about work than I was  when we first came back from holiday break. I guess a promotion and a raise didn't hurt :) but I'm also starting to feel more engaged and happy about my plans for the year. I think I just needed a couple of weeks to mourn the end of break and get revved up again.

• Like 3

super excited that you are engaged and happy!!!

also super bummed I missed the conversations about athletic supporters. My dad always would say "why do I want to join the boosters club for your school? are they calling me an athletic supporter?!?!?" which always made us laugh and laugh and laugh.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, karinajean said:

super excited that you are engaged and happy!!!

Karate is the first workout(-adjacent) class I've ever taken where I'm consistently sad that class is over. 

also super bummed I missed the conversations about athletic supporters. My dad always would say "why do I want to join the boosters club for your school? are they calling me an athletic supporter?!?!?" which always made us laugh and laugh and laugh.

Look, I know what I said but it's never really too late. And since there's so much interest in the situation, I'll be sure to update everyone as events unfold.

Pretty good week last week--

• Salad (1/1): have also bought crafting materials to make another one tonight, so I'm set for this week too.
  • Meal prep (1/1): we watched Asian travel shows this weekend, so yesterday I attempted to make a Korean chili sauce for veg & rice (bok choi & mushrooms & garlic & tofu) yesterday. After driving to three stores to find Korean ingredients, I don't think it was close to correct (but was tasty); we're going to buy a pre-made one to compare with and I'll keep adjusting. 
  • Workouts (3/3): 2 karate classes & a kickbox.
  • Writing (1/1): feeling better about this goal and having more fun writing recently. I have maybe loosened a rusty valve a little bit.
  • Setting 2019 big goals: still in progress. I'll look at Rings & Handstands pack for an idea of a target (I feel like achieving a muscle up might be a tad optimistic). Maybe a karate sparring goal? Maybe "fight Nazis"? 

Ms Rogue leaves town tomorrow morning for a few days; I've got my elements for next meal prep of spinach/beans/rice, which is incredibly easy to cook (chop spinach, put it all in a big skillet and cook with salt/pepper/spices to taste, serve with hot sauce) and I can happily eat for days, but she doesn't like much so I usually make a big batch while she's out of town.

Realizing that since we're not doing Dragoncon this year, I don't have a cosplay outlet lined up for the immediate future. I feel like I could rock La Volpe (L) or Machiavelli (R) from AC2 if I put my mind to it (and bought some pieces from more competent costumers).

tumblr_ny8u1x3VII1r6tmsdo1_500.png

Note to self: put Thai language lessons on next challenge.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1