• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RogueLibrarian

RogueLibrarian steals into 2019

5 minutes ago, sylph said:

That's a really good question. If you are content, maintenance is fine. If you aren't content, why not? Because you feel like you *should* be always working harder, or from a genuine dissatisfaction or desire to improve? If it's because of a nebulous *should,* where is that coming from and why?

Or should you perhaps be working harder on being more content? ;) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

:lol: I’m getting such karate kid vibes from that statement. 

We played five minutes of dodge ball at the end of class tonight (we often open or close classes with a playground-style game; yes, again, I'm almost 50). This dude is, as I said, a black belt who's built like a tank. Apparently he wasn't even aiming at me, but at my friend next to me. Solid hit to the eye/cheek. It must have looked pretty impressive, because the whole class went "OHHHHH" when it connected. I just yelled "I'm good, I'm good!" but he came up after class to shake my hand and apologize. I was half hoping it'd leave a bruise so I could spend today going "Oh, just took a hit in karate class, nbd" and then not explaining the details.

27 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Or are you genuinely content with the status quo? Sometimes it's hard to tell. It also depends on the current life situation, sometimes you're in a pushing phase, sometimes not and that's ok. I think just pushing can easily lead to burnout.

22 minutes ago, sylph said:

That's a really good question. If you are content, maintenance is fine. If you aren't content, why not? Because you feel like you *should* be always working harder, or from a genuine dissatisfaction or desire to improve? If it's because of a nebulous *should,* where is that coming from and why?

Both of you are wise and entirely correct and asking me the right questions. I have gotten a little hooked on forward momentum and improvement and "leveling up," which is a good thing, as it keeps me motivated, and keeps me recognizing and giving myself credit for accomplishments. The downside is that, as you've noted, I tend to bust on myself when I have an off week, or if I'm not continuing to push harder at whatever rate I "should" be; my desire for progress often clashes with my tendency toward anxiety and self-criticism. (Believe me, I've had conversations with my shrink about "should"; she dings me when I apply it to myself in conversation.) I'm talking about it here because spelling it out helps me spot it in the wild and recognize that it's not always useful or realistic.

My more positive counterpoint comes from pausing to recognize that a) I've got a really good and active routine that I stick to very regularly and genuinely enjoy, b) I'm probably the most physically active member of my real-life friend group, c) I've made huge strides from when I joined NF 3 years ago (that was really when I said "Okay, I'm really going to do this" and started taking my fitness seriously").

• Like 4

I love playground games! I was a little surprised you'd do that in a karate class, but I love it.

1 hour ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I was half hoping it'd leave a bruise so I could spend today going "Oh, just took a hit in karate class, nbd" and then not explaining the details.

I'm sure this day will come too. :D 

My more positive counterpoint comes from pausing to recognize that a) I've got a really good and active routine that I stick to very regularly and genuinely enjoy, b) I'm probably the most physically active member of my real-life friend group, c) I've made huge strides from when I joined NF 3 years ago (that was really when I said "Okay, I'm really going to do this" and started taking my fitness seriously").

This is all fantastic. Not to mention that your activities are badass!

6 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I love playground games! I was a little surprised you'd do that in a karate class, but I love it.

My school does a lot of kids' classes, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the instructors just bring over their favorite elements from kids' class to adult class occasionally. :) Usually we do this stuff as a warm-up to get heart rates up and so on. There's a game called "pizza" where everyone holds a small foam punch target on their hand palm-up like you're delivering a pizza, and you try to knock other peoples' pizzas off while protecting your own. (If you get got, you have to do burpees.)

I'm sure this day will come too. :D 

I have no doubt. :) We're looking to see if sparring gear is in the end-of-month budget as we catch up on post-holiday bills.

This is all fantastic. Not to mention that your activities are badass!

I'm trying. I feel very busy, but I feel good these days and I'm proud of my progress. A lot of what I'm complaining about is just my process for figuring shit out as I go; talking about it with you all and putting it into words so I can look at it with a little more objectivity helps me think it through.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RogueLibrarian said:

A lot of what I'm complaining about is just my process for figuring shit out as I go; talking about it with you all and putting it into words so I can look at it with a little more objectivity helps me think it through.

It really does! 

22 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

I feel like I have not changed my diet goals in many challenges. Partly it's because I feel mostly good about my eating choices. I eat very little sugar (have cut back in my coffee), I have miraculously broken my cheese habit (I rarely eat cheese except on weekly homemade pizza), and I'm doing well eating salad and green vegetable-centric dishes regularly. I always bring a yogurt or fruit for afternoon snacks at work, and dessert is always yogurt (I can't keep enough fat-free Greek yogurt in the house, the rate we both eat it these days.) 

I know folks already chimed in on the maintenance vs. contentment vs. always moving forward, etc. But I feel like food in particular is one of those places where having a routine that you like and seems to do well by you IS the ultimate goal. :) And it looks like you found it? If you want to keep telling us about it and checking that box, please do! 

Hell yes. :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, raptron said:

I know folks already chimed in on the maintenance vs. contentment vs. always moving forward, etc. But I feel like food in particular is one of those places where having a routine that you like and seems to do well by you IS the ultimate goal. :) And it looks like you found it? If you want to keep telling us about it and checking that box, please do! 

Okay someone with GUILD LEADER under their icon told me I'm doing it right so NOW I CAN RELAX A LITTLE BIT about it

18 minutes ago, raptron said:

Hell yes. :)

Thanks, buddy.

• Like 2

Very good, very difficult kickboxing class this morning. Pizza for dinner tonight (w salad). I've got meal prep stuff for sesame/veg noodles tomorrow.

Work is having an 8-week fitness challenge with prizes, so "track workouts in app" is definitely going on the next challenge to help me remember.

• Like 1

Week 1 wrapup!

• Salad (1/1)
  • Meal prep (1/1)
  • Workouts (3/3)
  •  Writing (0/1): This is the one goal that didn't really go as planned, half success over the challenge. I am having trouble collecting enough mental energy to focus on it, and I think I'm guilting myself because I feel like I "should" be writing, even though there's no deadline and no obligation except what's in my head. I'm going to let this one go next challenge and just let the spirit move me as it will for now.
  • Setting 2019 big goals: I'm declaring victory on this one, though, even with only two big goals in the signature. I've decided to take a cue from the Dungeon World RPG's GM advice and intentionally "leave some blank spaces on the map" to fill in as time goes on and I discover what else is up this year. 

I have apparently over-meal-prepped. There's more leftovers in the fridge than I can keep up with right now, so ... I guess no problem with lunches this week. Last night made sesame veggies with noodles.

tk2VXAvl.png

As usual by week 4, I've lost the plot trying to keep up with commenting on everyone's threads, but please believe that I'm trying my best and you're all killing it. :) Thanks for sticking around this month. I'll put up a new challenge very shortly.

• Like 4

Looks yummy! 

I like that you only have two goals for the year so far. Much easier to make them actually happen!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

This is the one goal that didn't really go as planned, half success over the challenge. I am having trouble collecting enough mental energy to focus on it, and I think I'm guilting myself because I feel like I "should" be writing, even though there's no deadline and no obligation except what's in my head. I'm going to let this one go next challenge and just let the spirit move me as it will for now.

Very good idea. A goal does not have to be win vs failure, it's also a way to recognize that maybe now is not quite the time yet.  And that's fair enough I think.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, @mu said:

Very good idea. A goal does not have to be win vs failure, it's also a way to recognize that maybe now is not quite the time yet.  And that's fair enough I think.

I put it up as "optional/side quest" this month just to keep it on the radar.

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Looks yummy! 

It turned out well!

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I like that you only have two goals for the year so far. Much easier to make them actually happen!

I think so too -- I was trying to force more in there and realized I'm putting needless pressure on. If they arise organically they'll be more likely to be things I'm passionate about.

2 hours ago, karinajean said:

ooooh, sesame anything with veggies.... so good@

So easy. Stir fry some veggies (any), mix rice wine vinegar/tahini/soy sauce, serve with noodles.

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Over-prepping is a nice problem to have. :D 

Yes. :)  I'm getting the hang of it.