DaemonCorax has a passenger (incubating pt 3.)

DaemonCorax

So for those of you that have been following along: the past few challenges have been about me adjusting my life and reaching out to you guys for support through my first pregnancy. It's such a weird ride! Things are feeling a little less bleak this month. I'm past the halfway point. My emotions are stabilizing a bit and I'm less easy to anger. The past two weeks have also brought a marked physical change - the bowling ball that houses the tiny one is making itself known.

Last week we were on the road, driving from CO ->MD/VA->NC->CO. 4000 miles and too many relatives in about 10 days. It took a toll. MFH (My Favorite Human - although I may have to relabel him once his spawn is born!) and I got our quiet time listening to podcasts on the road, but neither of us have bodies that do well sitting still that much. We got one day at the climbing gym with his brothers, and several walks, but that was about it. Weird shoulder pains for both of us, a weird rib thing for me, and tiny one did barrel rolls when he was sick of the whole thing. Somewhere in there I got a cold. I told myself for days it was just sea level messing with me, but around Saturday it was actually a cold. I'm fighting it off just fine, but the cough has been nasty. It's one of those coughs that scares people around you and makes your abs hurt. Coughing pregnant sucks. We got home to cold cold air (4 F) and sun. Walking from the car to brunch yesterday I finally took a deep breath. This morning I dragged out my old team softshell jacket (warm AND STRETCHY), dodged some ice, and rode to work.

SO: Ramping up for week 0 and preggo challenge #3.....I'm feeling a little retrospective. MFH told the internet our news yesterday with a photo album of pics he's taken of me climbing (including leading) and snowshoeing over the past 5-ish months. Life hasn't come to a standstill. There have been some dark dark pits along the way (most densely placed in weeks 7-13 I think), but the landscape is clearing. The thing is: I can't see far ahead! My skin itches and grows nonlinearly hinting about bigger visible changes to come. I wonder about my skiing and cold weather plans when my pants choices are too tight or stolen from MFH. There are a lot of "buts" and qualifying feelings. Like the calm before the storm that rolls in over the ridge you can't see behind.

A-storm-is-coming-980x653.jpg

Caption: random internet photo

I'm not going to post my goals just yet. I'm mulling them over. Strategizing. Preparing so that I can ride out the storm without sinking back to where I was a couple months ago. You guys are a big help.

• Like 7

Previous Challenge: DaemonCorax starts 8 weeks of stronglifts

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)
When in doubt, pick up heavy things.

I've only been on the 'supportive husband' side of pregnancy, but I do remember things hitting a kind of rhythm somewhere in the middle.  Sounds like you've been very busy though!  Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for this challenge.  :-)

• Like 1

Level 48 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Info dump of the day:

https://journals.lww.com/clinicalobgyn/Fulltext/2016/09000/The_Elite_Athlete_and_Strenuous_Exercise_in.20.aspx

"In summary, counseling a pregnant athlete is challenging for the obstetric provider. Existing guidelines agree that data are scarce. Athletes are advised to consult with their health care providers; yet, providers have limited evidence from which to guide athletes. In the absence of information, providers often recommend reducing exercise intensity and/or duration22 or advise exercising at an intensity below an arbitrary maternal heart rate (such as 140 beats/min),23 a guideline that was removed from the ACOG Practice Bulletin in 1994. This is likely due to both the lack of evidence as well as liability concerns.

At the present time, it is prudent for elite athletes who wish to continue strenuous activity during pregnancy to (a) have a clear understanding and approval from their health care providers and (b) consider decreasing resistance load compared with prepregnant conditions. Activities to avoid include high impact activities with an increased risk of blunt trauma. In addition, it is important that the pregnant elite athlete be careful not to overheat when performing their sport or participating in intense training. Furthermore, due to data showing possible abnormal changes in fetal response to strenuous exercise, individualized exercise prescriptions may be warranted in pregnant athletes to ascertain whether there is a threshold level of exercise beyond which fetal well-being may be compromised.

Bottom line: on the basis of current research, it is not possible to generalize beyond current guidelines for exercise during pregnancy for the elite athlete. Every athlete, and every pregnancy, must be individualized, and caregivers must be vigilant in maintaining trust and open communication with their highly active patients. Providers should be aware that although pregnant women need to and are often counseled to listen to their bodies during exercise, athletes may have a no pain no gain mentality, and may not listen to their bodies as well as they should. Women must be made aware of all the warning signs and symptoms when exercising, and must be urged to not ignore them if they occur."

Sigh. We can do better can't we? What is an "elite athlete" anyway?

• Like 2

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)

58 minutes ago, DaemonCorax said:

on the basis of current research, it is not possible

You know, the more I learn about modern medicine, the more I understand how little anyone knows about anything.  My BIL is a Doctor/Midwife person, and often complains about the woeful lack of meaningful research.

Do you know about the Barbell Medicine guys?  It sounds like you're asking the kind of question that they're really good at answering.  They have a forum on their site where they answer questions directly.

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

KBO. - Churchill

Continuing to be active while pregnant is definitely challenging! I did CrossFit all through my last pregnancy since I was doing it when I got pregnant, but it definitely required changes to my mindset (and gave my coach a conniption when I tripped and fell in the third trimester, although I didn't fall on my stomach and everything was fine). All of this to say, good for you for planning for activity, yes, it's confusing and frustrating how little we know about exercise during pregnancy, and feel free to message/ping me with questions.

• Like 3

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

17 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Do you know about the Barbell Medicine guys? 

I don't! But I will look now. In general I have found much more guidance in the powerlifting and Crossfit references on the web than anywhere else. Unless you're a runner. And I'm not. And the idea of that much impact on my belly late in pregnancy makes me wince. I would rather hike up a huge mountain 8 months preggo than run on pavement.

12 hours ago, Librarian of Doom said:

I did CrossFit all through my last pregnancy since I was doing it when I got pregnant, but it definitely required changes to my mindset

Yeah I don't CrossFit per se, but I have a pre-climbing background in lifting, and revisiting lifting has felt very good physically and very empowering mentally. I met with a local amazing CrossFit coach during the last challenge and she gave me a workout program to strengthen my shoulders and regain some of the ground I lost while being exhausted and depressed in the first trimester. In my journey of becoming a stronger human, my shoulders were the last to show up and the first to leave.

So yesterday ended up being a lot, sort of. As I mentioned, I rode in (8.5 mi). The sun was wonderful. Then we went to the gym after work. We have been going in the AM and this was confirmation that we should STILL be going in the mornign. I'm just more tired in the evening. I lifted, and then only climbed 3 routes plus the crack before calling "dinner." We just have 1.5 weeks with barely any activity though, so that added to things too. Also riding in AND going to the gym in the same day isn't something I've been doing much.

Squats: 80 lbs 5 x 3sets

Deadlifts 140 lbs x5

Some shoulder work.

3 pitches of 5.10-ish, and the crack.

Using this as a starting point will inform what this challenge looks like. I gotta keep up my shoulder exercises!

• Like 3

This morning I got up and did 3.23 of my five shoulder exercises:

• "Monkey taps" with the pull-up bar, one foot on the ground, 3 sets x 10 reps
  • Inverted ring rows 3x6
  • Push-ups with shoulder shrug at top 3x10. Sadly these were done on my knees.
  • 25 bad pull-aparts. I'm supposed to do 100! Will try to work them in today

Then I rode to work. It was maybe 15 degrees warmer this morning and the ice was gone except for one longish shady stretch where there wasn't any traffic anyway, so I could just swing out around it.

Having lunch with a friend. No other workouts today. BUT I'm picking up my new-to-me skiis at the shop this evening for Sunday :D Also since MFH is much more excited about crosscountry/backcountry skiing than snowshoeing, he's gonna help me get up early.

• Like 2

Alrighty gang. Here's my challenge, not drastically different than last time:

Goal 1:  Don't let the shoulder demons win! Everyday that I don't climb, I have to do my shoulder exercises. I did almost all of them this morning except barbell rows, which I can't do in my basement. Bonus points for actually getting in 100 band pull-aparts, which is the bit I missed this AM. Possible points: 4 a week.

Goal 2: Stay outside Ice allowing I should be riding every day we don't go to the climbing gym at least, plus one day every weekend spent outside whether climbing, skiing, hiking whatever. This is good for me mentally AND physically. If it's not safe to ride, I need to find something else to do that day. Possible points: 4 a week.

Goal 3: Who says I can't gain muscle? This is both a climbing and lifting goal. The goal is to still climb two days a week and lift two days a week. Lifts include 3x5 squats and a set of deadlifts at a bare minimum, with Bonus points for barbell rows. Target is to increase load by 5 lbs a week until that doesn't make sense. Possible points: 4 a week - 2 for lifting and 2 for climbing.

fit-woman-gym-pregnant.jpg?w=945&h=574&fit=crop&crop=faces&auto=format&q=70

Caption: From EliteDaily, Swedish trainer Sara Wiss

Goal 4: Find something that makes me happy everyday. I will note it here. The past two days it's definitely been sun on the way into work on my bike. Bonus points if it's not bicycle related. Possible points: 7 a week.

I feel like I'm fighting through sludge a little bit here. As I get bigger and heavier, the loads I fight doing pull-ups or climbing get heavier even if I haven't had a chance to compensate. The points are basically how many times I feel I should be doing this a week. So that looks like working out six days a week - 2 gym days and 3 riding days during the work week, plus an outside day on the weekend. I'm also informally trying to up my protein intake.

The rest day also needs to be a day of doing "chores", but I'm not going to micromanage that here. Most of them are 2-person things and if I micromanage them here it's going to be too indulgent of my stressful tendencies to overplan. Some goals include: pricing out a gun safe, designing the climbing setup for the basement, welding the 2" adapter into the trailer hitch on the car (MFH is doing this, but I might get to help!).

On another note: Y'all want to help me find some superhero mom's? I need gifs :) and inspiration!

MV5BM2JlNDk4NTgtZTU3MS00YWE2LWFlNGYtNDhh

Caption: Hippolyta as shown in the Wonder Woman movie. Bad. Ass.

• Like 2

@Cheetah I went to the Barbell Medicine site, got a little overwhelmed, but rediscovered Alan Thrall! This guy's videos make me so happy :) When I was introducing a friend to lifting last winter, I first stumbled across him. He's great. And strong men with beards are awesome....especially when they like metal and have a sense of humor.

conan.jpg

Caption: The fuzzy and strong Alan Thrall

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

Alan Thrall

Oh yes, we do love Alan.  :-)

I did a little searching on the BBM forum and it seems as though they covered the topic of lifting during pregnancy in one of their videos.  The bad news is they have a lot of videos, and they're not really well organized.

The good news is I had some time on my hands and I found it.  :-)  Spoilered because I don't know how to make thumbnails small.

Spoiler

It's the last thing they talk about, at 49 min.

• Like 2

KBO. - Churchill

Thanks for the video! They seems to basically say what everyone else says "go for it, but we really don't know." No one wants to get in trouble with ACOG.

My athletic history has some pretty intense periods in it, and at no time in this 5 month journey have I felt like I'm doing harm. I know what it feels like to bonk, to nearly black out from exhaustion, calorie deficit, or heat. I know what it feels like when my morning coffee has made my heart rate to high. I haven't been too worried because in the first few weeks of being pregnant my body was already loudly talking to me: "we will not let you pant" it said. "You must breathe deeply. We don't want to sprint." Since these messages have been clear, and I trust them, I've been carrying on. When I went snowshoeing a couple weeks ago it was my first time at altitude in a while. As usual I was breathing hard the first 10 min. My progress uphill remained slower, but once I hit my stride I was able to run and goof around like usual. There was just a maybe 20% off the top of my peak output. And it wasn't that I COULDN'T if I had to, it was that there were strong messages to hang out where I was effort-wise.

With weightlifting, it's a bit different. The efforts are so much shorter duration! I am mindful of letting my heart rate chill and waiting 2 min between sets, but so far it's smooth sailing.

Pregnant women totally have a lot going on in their bodies. Of course there are compromises on how we improve or maintain during this time - which is why lifting is more rewarding than climbing right now. But with over 15 years of some pretty hard stuff under my belt, I would be miserable doing less. I refuse to believe I need to let my mental and physical health decay during this time where I am doing something that, while intense, is biologically "normal." I also believe I will be a better parent if I am not depressed. Of course.

I just wish so much of the US wasn't brainwashed into old ideas about what pregnant women and women in general are supposed to be like.

::end rant::

I think the double workout Wednesday hurt my progress on my cold after doing nothing while on the east coast. I rode in yesterday morning but got struck down in the late afternoon by a combo of heartburn and a migraine from my sinuses still being messed up. Still got to pick up my skis! Went home and self medicated with beef stew and mashed potatoes and sleep. My head isn't great this morning. I'm driving in and hoping to summon energy for the gym this evening. Work is pretty chill right now, so I am hopeful.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

Of course, there's always @Elastigirl, but I DO believe that's already taken in our guild :)

636588280379507537-Incredibles-2.jpg?width=3200&height=1680&fit=crop

One of the reasons I chose Elastigirl was because she is a strong mom and I love Hippoloyta too!

It seems to me that as someone who is so fit, and is used to being active, you have a very good innate sense of what is working for your body and what isn't. I think if you just pay attention to that as far as how hard to push yourself, you will be fine.

• Like 3

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

No bike ride this morning. Stuffy head. Feeling kinda glum. In the meantime, the thing to cheer me up in this moment is Rocket gifs. Partly I went hunting for these because of the gif @Rurik Harrgath posted, and partly because Rocket is awesome. Definitely not in my "superheros who are moms" category, but so so cute and ferocious.

gplus5615346889795536605.gif

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

No bike ride this morning. Stuffy head. Feeling kinda glum. In the meantime, the thing to cheer me up in this moment is Rocket gifs. Partly I went hunting for these because of the gif @Rurik Harrgath posted, and partly because Rocket is awesome. Definitely not in my "superheros who are moms" category, but so so cute and ferocious.

d8f226a647f7a6406dbf7dee40110fb3.gif

Also...

200.gif

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

7 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

pick up my skis

I never did ski, but I spent a lot of weekends snowboarding when I lived in the mountains.  :-) 

I hope you feel better soon!

KBO. - Churchill

Yeah these are just old school cross country setups w metal edges - I'm excited though.

Friday was a total loss. Went home from work because the sinus pressure was giving me a migraine. Watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2, because that's what's on Netflix :)

Today after brunch we hit the gym.

5 routes plus a crack pitch. I climbed clean except for two big overhanging moves that I just felt like I couldn't get lined up right for.

Lat pull down on "7" whatever that means 4sets of 10 reps
Squat 85 3x5
Deadlift 145x5

The increase in weight on the big lifts surprises me. I'm trying 5 lb bumps every time I go in and there's no big struggle. My preggo body doesn't seem to want to help out my shoulders at all, but it's cool with getting back in the groove on lower body compound lifts. Weird, but I'll take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh so tired. I was awake at 4:12 this morning due to howling wind and being super thirsty. Sigh.

Today is a rest day. Not planned. Friday was a rest day too, so I'm beating myself up about this a little.... We have 60 mph wind gusts today, so no biking, and my core is exhausted from skiing yesterday.

tumblr_otocso8JHT1t3wylzo1_400.gif

So skiing: The nordic backcountry setups are so cool. Last year I picked up a setup on CL for $75 and got out twice. I hadn't been on skis since elementary school, so some things came right back and some didn't. The skis I'm using this year are smaller than the ones I bought last year (I gave those to MFH to use). An old coworker who also works ski patrol GAVE them to me and they're so so nice! I have no experience going downhill on skis, and MFH has no experience with free-heeled skis of any kind. So we found a snowy forest road and went out and experimented. After a bunch of practice runs on the bottom section of the road, we went up the full 2 mi and came back down. It was a lot of learning. And several crashes - but I'm pretty good at falling, so most of them I fell uphill on my side. At the beginning of the day I was doing really well and getting my turning down . On the long descent though we were both pretty tried an falling down a lot. I finally figured out the pizza pie thing and had a nice controlled second half of the descent. So so tired though. Little stabilizing muscles in my hips were tired while skiing, but afterwards it was my core. They were working pretty hard I guess, holding my belly and doing all the skiing things at the same time. Oof. I don't want to stretch or tear those muscles, so resting today is good.

DSC07086.JPG

Caption: Internet photo. There were some big (for me) corners!

I am really stoked that MFH had a great time too. He hates snowshoes and I have no interest in resort skiing, so this is a great meeting in the middle. With the skis we have, conditions don't have to be groomed or anything, so a lot of outside time can happen in the next couple months. I'm sure around month 8 I'll feel differently, but we'll see.

• Like 3

On 1/4/2019 at 12:20 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

200.gif

Ugh this is so appropriate right now! I was ok for a bit yesterday, but I tanked again in the evening. I seem to have put on a little fat around my hips. A little. I should not obsess. I should be thanking my body for giving me a healthy pregnancy AND doing all the things. The fat probably helps me not get super super hungry while skiing uphill in the cold AND keeping my feisty passenger alive. But I feel squishy. I don't feel like myself. I'm mourning the muscle I've lost in my upper back and shoulders and arms. My thighs hit my belly on the way into work this morning - my road bike days are over. Time to switch bikes. I can't get down on the hoods of my road bike very well for a prolonged period of time. My handlebars are 3-4" lower than my saddle on this bike. On my rigid mtn bike, they're dead even. Time to commute on the mountain bike. These physical things are little and temporary. I'm disappointed in myself for being discontented with a process that is medically going very well. As I told Sal - we need to be nicer to ourselves, but I'm sure not great at taking my own advice.

MFH gave me a hug this morning and lent me his fleece. I had to meet with folks from another company this morning and I just didn't want to discuss my new life stage/body/etc. His fleece is a little big, but oh so soft. It's helping. I wish there was less cultural brainwashing around pregnancy.

• Like 3

Week 0 summary:

Monday: still driving across the country

Tuesday: holiday, made very happy with the cold CO air, Goal 4: +1

Wednesday: Climbed and lifted, AND rode to work, Goal 3: +2, Goal 2: +1, Goal 4: +1

Thursday: Did my shoulder exercises, rode to work Goal 1: +1, Goal 2: +1, Goal 4: +1

Friday: Sick, sort of cheered myself up with Rocket Goal 4: +.5

Saturday: House things and gym for climbing and lifting, happy about lifting progress, Goal 3: +2, Goal 4: +1

Sunday: Sking! Goal 2: +1, Goal 4: +1

Goal 1:  Don't let the shoulder demons win! 1/4

Goal 2: Stay outside 3/4

Goal 3: Who says I can't gain muscle? 4/4

Goal 4: Find something that makes me happy everyday. 5.5/7

Note that although I did do some shoulder work at the gym, I'm not counting it. I need the motivation to get in and do them separately in the basement. Yesterday was a fail - I was going to, but my neck hurt so much (maybe from being awake at 4 am and sleeping funny), that I was just overwhelmed in the evening. Today I'm trying to do push-ups here and there throughout the day, but I might climb later.

That looks like a really good zero week!  Keep up the great work!

3 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

we need to be nicer to ourselves

I agree.  I can't imagine how hard it is to be patient with the process.  But you're doing a great job of working through it! 

KBO. - Churchill

15 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

. As I told Sal - we need to be nicer to ourselves, but I'm sure not great at taking my own advice.

MFH gave me a hug this morning and lent me his fleece. I had to meet with folks from another company this morning and I just didn't want to discuss my new life stage/body/etc. His fleece is a little big, but oh so soft. It's helping. I wish there was less cultural brainwashing around pregnancy.

Yes please take on your advice to me <3 be kind to yourself, you are doing something amazing. 

But although i dont / cant understand what you are feeling...i can empathise. It must be difficult for you with so many changes happening. Im glad MFH is being supportive to you. Thats important. 

Thanks for all your support recently. Sending you masses of hugs xx

• Like 1