DaemonCorax has a passenger (incubating pt 3.)

DaemonCorax

Yesterday evening was brought to you by Nutella! I had an apple and Nutella before going to the gym. Also got off work 45 min early, so that probably helped too.

9466bee6e2da8c6e4802dcdc27760b39a1d679ca

Climbed 8! Routes including the crack. Only fell on one big overhanging move that I fell off last time too. Still cruising 5.9 and climbing mostly 5.10. Haven't managed that much in the gym in months.

Squat 90 3x5

Deadlift 150 x5

I think I may need to stay at 90 on the squat next workout too. The overall motion feels great but I need to make sure my knee doesnt rotate inward - something that happens if I don't really focus.

At some point I need to learn to sumo deadlift. Anyone have a favorite form video? My belly will be a problem for standard eventually.

Push ups are terrible. Progressive loading is a thing. But I'm trying to feel strong anyway - the lifts really help with that.

Got a headache when I got home. Ate. Slept. Mostly okay this morning. Dreamed of ham sandwiches. Yes really.

• Like 1

Previous Challenge: DaemonCorax starts 8 weeks of stronglifts

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)
When in doubt, pick up heavy things.

Of all the stupid things! Wednesday evening we went out to dinner to one of those Brazilian steak houses for a double birthday celebration for some friends. I turned down basically everything that wasn't beef, but I still ate too much. Like uncomfortably so. My belly above my belly button swelled up and was tight and painful. It still hurt in the morning, so much so that I didn't eat breakfast. I get it that things are crowded in there, and that I haven't been able to eat what I used to consider "big" meals, but seriously? I had salad and then a delicious entourage of grilled steaks and beef ribs and a little creme brulee. Good good food. I DID ride my mtn bike to work Thursday morning, but my belly still hurt above my belly button so much that we cancelled gym plans. I medical taped my abs across the tender spot, and that helped LOTS. I left it on.

This morning it was some seriously icky weather. Not even below freezing but snowing to beat the band. Super messy roads. MFH and I carpooled. I hope to gym after work this evening unless everything turns into an ice slick.

Tomorrow is house projects.

So the fall out of all this is I have only been doing push-ups and some dips. I can't even do REAL push-ups, but I'm putting my hands on benches, the side of the bathtub, things like that, and doing them at an angle. It's easier and I don't crash my belly into anything. I got 20 done in two sets on Wednesday and maybe 10 Thursday. The dips I got a set of 10 each day too. There's a bench in the changing room at work that is a good height.

I also haven't eaten breakfast today. I had two homemade cookies around 10, and that's it. I don't know how bad this is. I'm assume that if my little passenger was mad about it I would know. Pre-pregnancy I was IF, so maybe this is ok. The one big adjustment my eatin ghas seen is smaller dinners and the addition of breakfast - usually toast with butter and cheese or avocado or something. (Yes, I am powered by fats.) As I stand here typing this, I'm a bit hungry, but my friend is about to pick me up to go out to lunch.

• Like 1

(2022 Level 1 Hunter:  STR 23;    STA 29;    DEX 11;    CON 14;    WIS 22;  CHA 4.)

giphy.gif

I need to remember this. Sigh. Because work.

*small rant to follow*

At work today a male engineer who I've worked with on previous projects and who is a lovely human asked me how I was feeling. Now mind you, this guy was one of the few outside my group who got looped into the "I'm pregnant" email. His email response was "congrats, I can't believe my kids are already X and X years old now. It's a great adventure" and so on. Something supportive and friendly like that. So I told him that the first trimester had been rough and that I was dizzy a lot and hiding it while we were working on this big equipment test together, but that I was at least still riding my bike and exercising more now. I said the biking had been great and actually helped keep my blood pressure normal (instead of astronomically low) and so forth. We were having a nice chat. A female engineer who I don't know as well was standing with him. Her contributions started with "oh, you're pregnant" and then proceeded to tell me to watch out with the bike riding and climbing and to go switch to yoga. She then waxed philosophical on how much her second kid had loosened and messed up her hip joint to the point where it didn't stay in place at the end of the day. There were some pleasantries about kicking babies, but basically the gist was she loved being pregnant, I should stop doing things she deemed to be risky, and her version was the right one. I demured. I mentioned I'd basically spent my whole adult life on a bicycle and it made me feel better and left it at that.

Inside my head I was hopping up and down yelling "we can do things differently and still have it be ok! I am *expletive here* bigwall climber, don't you think I know if I'm hurting myself??!!"

*end small rant*

tenor.gif?itemid=4960595

Why are women so critical of each other? Me doing something different from her doesn't mean either one of us was wrong. I can't imagine how much more depressed months 2-4 would have been without my bike commute. It almost makes me cry thinking of it.

• Like 4

On 1/4/2019 at 4:26 PM, DaemonCorax said:

I refuse to believe I need to let my mental and physical health decay during this time where I am doing something that, while intense, is biologically "normal." I also believe I will be a better parent if I am not depressed. Of course.

This is so wonderful to hear.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:37 PM, DaemonCorax said:

I need to remember this. Sigh. Because work.

*eyeroll*  She is not you she doesn't get a say. I loathe people like this. I think it's party society and partly just people that think they know best. I commend you on staying calm, I would not be able to.

And oh my god "my hip joint can't stay in place for an entire day" is a horrifying thought even when you're not carrying the weight of a whole other human being in you already. 

• Like 1

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

Sounds like things have been going well overall, good work with the creative push-ups!  

One of my favorite things about people is that moment of realization when I figure out what they are.  I'll be listening to someone talking, and trying to sort out why they aren't making any sense, and then suddenly it dawns on me - "OH, they're ignorant!". Then I feel better and their words soften and run together into a pleasant droning hum, and I can think about something else while I'm disregarding them.  :-)

• Like 3

Level 48 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Yeah "ignorant" isn't even the word I would use. It's something like (to sound like a hippie for a minute) not making room for other people to have a different experience from you. Unlike her I don't love being pregnant. I have moments of appreciation of the squirming life form letting me know he's ok in there. But there are so so many parameters to this. I'm not sure why remarks like this bother me so much - I wish I could just ignore it. I don't believe her, it just makes me angry that this is an acceptable way to discuss pregnancy: "You're doing it wrong."

• Like 2

So this weekend we went skiing again. Saturday was fresh snow! We skied up the same road as last time, but because there was so much snow we made it all the way up to the reservoir. It was amazing. There was no wind - something I almost never see up at any of the high lakes (10,600 ft) and reservoirs. We had snacks and came back down, then turned up another road for a bit to ski around on top of a lower lake that had 8" of snow on it. All in all about 5.5-6 mi of skiing and maybe 800-1000 ft of elevation. The snow was really different from last week, the front/back balance of the skis was different, but I start remembering some really powerful-feeling ways to travel. I started using my poles two handed again sometimes, easing into the skating motion - not real skate skiing though, the backcountry skis are a bit heavy for that, especially when there's snow on top of them!

These guys are having so much fun!

Snow was way fluffier and choppier for me, but this is the technique I'm remembering from childhood (24+ years ago)

Sunday was house projects. I overdid it and didn't rest enough after Saturday. Saturday even also kinda backfired because I was really hungry and got a big reuben after sking, but had to eat half of it later because feisty passenger makes my belly hurt when I eat too much. So Sunday night I had a really swollen throat and was completely wiped out and chilled. I picked up my laptop form work really early and went back home to work from the couch. Feeling pretty down. Not getting enough rest yesterday means feeling really achy and tired today, no bike ride, no work out. I am trying to disband paranoid thoughts about falling behind. By working from home I hope to give my body the chance it needs to straighten out, because right now my immune system is clearly freaking out.

• Like 3

Week 1 recap:

Monday: This day was pretty low. I was tired, the wind was crazy. I rested, which I needed to do, but I didn't feel great. In typing this I think I may be learning a tough lesson about resting after hard days outside. Sigh. 

Tuesday: Rebound powered by Nutella! Rode, climbed, lifted. Goal 3: +2, Goal 4: +1

Wednesday: Rode in. Did a little bit of shoulder work. Goal 2: +1, Goal 1: +.5

Thursday: Rode. Recuperating from eating to much, of all the stupid things. Goal 2: +1

Friday: 35 and slush/snow is terrible biking weather. Meant to go to the gym but didn't because we decided to get up early to ski. Had lunch with a friend. Goal 4: +1

Saturday: Skiing! Goal 2: +1, Goal 4: +1

Sunday: House projects. Not resting enough apparently. Repotted my giant aloe plant :)Goal 4: +1

Goal 1:  Don't let the shoulder demons win! 0.5/4 I need to do better with this. I miss my muscles.

Goal 2: Stay outside 3/4 Some weather interfering here.

Goal 3: Who says I can't gain muscle? 2/4 Preserved energy for Saturday, but not enough.

Goal 4: Find something that makes me happy everyday. 3/7 Not a good week and it shows.

I feel I've really slacked on the shoulder stuff. I'm having a hard time looking at that lack of progress objectively. This whole week seems to have been plagued by really bad mood, a few setbacks, and a lot of highs (skiing, gym) and lows (everything else, changing shape) with respect to how I feel about my body.

• Like 3

Having a tough start to the week again. We both went to a class that was supposed to be on mood disorders in pregnancy last night, but it predominantly focused on postpartum. I asked MFH what he thought in the car ride home. Without getting into too many details, we have some communication things to work out. I'm not sure that his perception that all joint anxiety in the house stems from me is correct. I'm the one with the messier adulthood, to be sure, and he does have a better emotional toolset than I do much of the time. But I think he's relying on that being completely true too much. I think the challenge of "dealing with me" in this time may be shining a light on some gaps in his understanding. I don't know. I've been in a pretty big hole for the past 18 hours or so.

OrderlyLinearBinturong-small.gif

I'm actually at work, but this would be my preferred state right now.

• Like 3

I'm hanging in there. MFH had to scoot off to work really early yesterday and I pretty much bawled my eyes out for the next 45 minutes. After that class Tuesday evening I just felt like I fell down a deep hole talking with him. And just like I can't seem to "fix" my moods, I can't fix his reaction (withdrawing from me) either. He took a big step yesterday though: he called his old therapist from a few years ago. I pretty much told him, in my less upset moments, that I couldn't objectively explain what was happening to me or even what I need from him, so he's going to go see her and perhaps gain some insight. In spite of all his emotional intelligence, this is something very foreign. When we got home in the evening he said some nice things and gave me hugs. That helped too. I have felt trapped, on the brink of isolation, but my fantasies are those of escape (desert, mountains, little cabin, etc), not of harm. My feelings toward the tiny thing inside me are warm at best and complicated at worst, but fiercely protective. The darkness is still sitting there right behind my eyes, on the back of my neck.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

This morning we got up and went to the gym. Getting there in the evening has been hit or miss, so a shorter workout is better than none.

• Climbed 5 routes (one 5.9, the rest 5.10s), no falls. My core felt a lot better than last week.
  • Did some lat pulldowns (one set x6, #8 plate) and dumbell rows (35 lbs, 5reps a side, a few sets) in between big lifts.
  • Squats 95lbs 3x5
  • Deadlifts 155 x5

Rode the mtn bike to work the usual 2.5 mi gym->work route. +1 for a happy morning.

This article, if anyone's interested, is a super comprehensive look at depression during pregnancy. Only part of it deals with medication. Don't read the comments:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/31/magazine/the-secret-sadness-of-pregnancy-with-depression.html

• Like 3

that is a good description of depression. and I think you are doing great! against strong odds.

my wife had some pretty bad depression during her pregnancy and particularly! after.  so I can probably best emphasize with your "MFH", and like him ;  trying to help say the right things, share the right feelings...

but depression is SUCH a monster. its not easily fixed.  I'm glad your looking for some help and I'm also very, very glad your active.  I think that can make a big difference

I think you will be a great mom. you have such clarity of thought!  early childhood can be tedious and long; but little things can matter a lot.  there's also a degree of trust and companionship that isn't as close as when he/she grows up.  and I think it seems that you bonding with your new baby.

alas that NYtimes only allows a certain amt of reads per month without a subscription.

as far as the WALL goes, its interesting that sometimes week by week there are differences.  does this happen a lot with you, too?  I feel that one week I can easily climb something and the next week its beyond me.  is this a matter of not remembering good beta on the route?

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

We went to the first of ten (yes, ten!) birth classes class night. The whole thing was mixed - the other couple there are nice, but the teacher rubbed me the wrong way on a few points. I know we're going to disagree about pelvic floor strength vs relaxation. We already started to. MFH and I missed the first week, so she asked us to come by a few minutes early next week to discuss the subject matter, most of which is around exercise. I know some of what's coming will be really good - relaxation techniques and so on. But the conversations around core strength and pelvic floor are SUCH a mess. I'm a strong believer than when your lower core (whole thing here) is strong AND has full range of motion (think, relaxing the pelvic floor in a deep squat), you're setting yourself up for success in almost anything. Muscle tightness and muscle weakness in many cases go hand in hand. Muscle tightness can also be caused by training improperly over too narrow a range of motion, but the key word here is "improperly." So I get rankled when people tell me that squatting heavy will tighten lower core and pelvic floor muscles to the detriment of my ability to relax those muscles. Nope. So seeing this conversation coming 10 miles away and getting irritated isn't worth, but over-sensitive preggo me is already grumbling to the point where MFH could see it in my body language. Derp. Big middle finger to all the people who say that letting your core get out of shape so that it's "soft for childbirth" is the way to go. Why?! Those poor muscles have a lot of work to do! They need to be stable!

• Like 3

I obviously have no idea at all....BUT i believe you know what you are on about and hope you can feel better about all this. Keep doing what is working for you DC

I guess what I mean is: think about one way people commonly injure themselves - reaching for something, using their strength out at the extent of their range of motion. If this place becomes a comfy stable place to do an action, there is less likelihood of injury. If things are weak and unstable, or tight, then injury is more likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, DaemonCorax said:

Big middle finger to all the people who say that letting your core get out of shape so that it's "soft for childbirth" is the way to go. Why?! Those poor muscles have a lot of work to do! They need to be stable!

I've never heard this before but that is the stupidest reasoning I can imagine. I join you in giving the middle finger to those people

• Like 2

Sadly, the whole child-birthing field is thoroughly steeped in misinformation and nonsensical lore.  I'm sorry that you're running afoul of it, but I'm not surprised, and it sounds like you're not either.  I'm glad that you're strong in the face of it. 

I hope that you guys use this opportunity to work out some issues. 

Depression sucks, and I hope that it lets up for you soon.  I'll say a prayer for you.

• Like 1

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

KBO. - Churchill

On 1/17/2019 at 11:08 AM, Salinger said:

That is so cool!

I'm hoping very much that my mood is episodic. I think it is. I've encountered more minor versions before, but I think the hormones plus the previous experiences have been sort of a double whammy.

Yesterday was another rest day. I'm still so tired and really don't want to get sick, or have my previous cold return. Today I rode. I put my comfy seat and seatpost on my mtn bike (the dropper post is not as comfy) and enjoyed the ride much more. We MIGHT gym this evening. I did 20 push-up and 20 dips and a bunch of deep bodyweight squats here and there throughout the day, so that's good. I would like to get back in the shoulder demon battle, but again, so tired. It's not even "I worked or evercised to much" tired. It's whole body, not-getting-great-sleep tired. Tomorrow should be fairly chill, then skiing on Sunday, but I have Monday off to hoard energy.

Found this lady's instagram today.

https://www.instagram.com/quadslikequinn/

GOALS. I'm smaller or shorter than her (my base weight being around 135-138), but her abs and shoulders are something to strive for. And she has 3 kids.

• Like 2

Yesterday evening ended up doing nothing except some inverted rows in the basement on the rings. I changed the height and the motion makes much more sense now.

This morning I was in a terrible mood. A dozen little things hurt and were uncomfortable the last night. So the morning got delayed by the cat, and that was ok. Went to the gym with a looming to do list for the rest of the day.

Got 5 routes, one of which was 5.10+ with an overhang, and 2 crack laps

Squat 95 3x5. This was a form check day. I stacked some plates on the floor to check for depth in the first set. I wasn't confident that my weight increases were genuine. Felt cruiser though. Will add weight next time I'm in there.
Deadlift 155x5 same deal.
Inverted ring rows 3x5
Took the 50 lb dumbells for a walk. These carries are so useful - they help my posture, my back, shoulders, and grip. Typically my grip was limiting factor in deadlifts a few years ago. We'll see how it goes this time.

I'm in a better mood after this, not surprisingly. Hopefully skiing tomorrow.

• Like 3

Sounds like a really good gym session, keep up the good work!

I hope you have a happy day today.  Have fun in the snow!

• Like 2

KBO. - Churchill

Sunday was mixed.

The good: Ski again. We started with another couple who are good friends (she's 1.5 weeks behind me on the preggo train) and did the same reservoir road we've been doing. This repetition wasn't the original plan, but it was the best option given insane winds and visiting doggos. The MFH hit a trail. We've been working up to the whole "trail" thing - much much narrower than a fire road. The snow is fluffier, but still, definitely a step up technicality-wise. I got hung up on a couple downhill bits where (1) the trail turned and I couldn't see what was next at all and (2) I realized the snow bank I was dragging a pole in was actually full on large rocks. It was all ok, but on the way back up (it was 1 mi down to a good turnaround point and a mile back - total 6 mi on the day including the reservoir road) we started talking about the communication stuff. I had been kinda prickly in the morning. It was all very tense and unpleasant. And so it goes.

Yesterday was a holiday for me. I hung out with a friend and went skating with her and her family. I stayed out in the cold too long and got kinda tired after Sunday's adventure. BUT I MADE CHILI! I rarely make chili the same way twice in a row. This week's iteration was 2 lbs or ground beef and 1 lb bison, 2 sweet potatoes, a lot of cumin and coriander, and a porter in addition to the typical chili powder spice profile. It was gooooooood. Served with polenta and bread, it was soft enough that I was able to eat a whole meal without my feisty passenger getting mad about all the food I was piling on his head. Yes. This is a thing.

MFH and I hit the gym this morning, and then I rode the 2.5 mi to work.

We got 5 routes + 1 crack lap in. Insanely, I got on a 5.11. I couldn't finish it, but I got the first 2/3 clean. I fell once on the last route of the day too. The muscle-building feedback loops seem to be working again. I've put on almost 20 lbs in the past 24 weeks. My days are shorter and my climbing is slower. My power output is different, but it's there.

Squat 100 3x5 (finally triple digits)

Inverted rows 3x5

Deadlift 160 x5 (finally passed body weight of me+passenger)

The physical changes with pregnancy are so nonlinear it makes my head spin. I was so so exhausted weeks 7-12 or so. I lost muscle. I was dizzy. Now I'm entering the stage where I stretch my lunch out over the afternoon (read: leave food sitting on my desk until I can finish it) so I don't feel sick and uncomfortable. When I get tired I feel like I've been hit by a truck. But the funny little vein above my right bicep is coming back. So weird. Tomorrow marks the completion of week 24.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

The good: Ski again.

Yay snow!  I'm more than a little jealous. 

I MADE CHILI

Yay chili!  One can live on a diet of nothing but chili indefinitely.  It is literally the perfect food.

the gym

Sounds like good gymming!  Well done!

physical changes

It's more than a little nuts.  But it sounds like you're doing a great job adapting as you go, and I think that's the best anyone can do.  Keep it up!  :-)

KBO. - Churchill