• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

20 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I calculated how big my amrap set sould need to be in order to take the lead from you again. I don't think that's going to happen tbh ;) 

Still it's a much smaller gap than the one we have on BP. But on that lift, with yesterdays numbers, i'm also within 10 Wilks points!

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor comin to get ya gif

This is really just to trigger @Charlie_Quinn and @Rhovaniel

4 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Still it's a much smaller gap than the one we have on BP. But on that lift, with yesterdays numbers, i'm also within 10 Wilks points!

In that case if I were to update with my numbers from yesterday you'll probably be ahead of me in the bench. That 6kg bw difference between us is screwing me over ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

In that case if I were to update with my numbers from yesterday you'll probably be ahead of me in the bench. That 6kg bw difference between us is screwing me over ;)

Nah man, you did like 10 reps with over 70!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

Nah man, you did like 10 reps with over 70!

8 reps at 72.5kg :) You saw the video! But it cuts my lead to just 5 points. It's probably more accurate than the crazy amrap numbers I was putting in during my hypertrophy phases. 

I drove up my bech today with 77.5kg for 7 reps. My PR is only 80kg so I'm looking to smash that very soon :)

• Like 1

Aw, man! I updated the spreadsheet to include the 2 additional pounds the scale had listed for me and my Wilks scores went down. :(  I mean, I know that's how it works, but still disappointing to see those numbers go the other way for 2 measly pounds.

But, the bench was too easy last time so I upped the weight 20 pounds this time instead of the 5 pounds SL 5x5 recommends to 135 lbs (61.235 kg) and was still able to pump out a set of 10 with a little energy left in the tank at the end. That has me pretty pumped because I had started really low with that weight when the ribs were hurt and going heavier with no soreness doing the movement of the next day excites me. Plus, squats were back to feeling like my form was on. The last two sessions I was able to move the weight but I felt like my knees were moving inwards as I pushed up out of the bottom of the movement. Last night was a lot better, and slightly easier even though the weight keeps going up. Bent over rows keep getting harder as the weight goes up. Might be reaching a threshold there and am getting dangerously close to not completing the 5x5 in a workout. That's a good thing, right? :D 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jstanlick said:

But, the bench was too easy last time so I upped the weight 20 pounds this time instead of the 5 pounds SL 5x5 recommends to 135 lbs (61.235 kg) and was still able to pump out a set of 10 with a little energy left in the tank at the end. That has me pretty pumped because I had started really low with that weight when the ribs were hurt and going heavier with no soreness doing the movement of the next day excites me.

Sounds like solid progress, but as one who has seen the other side, be sure to ride the wave for as long as possible. Don't go jumping this far, cause by the time you reach a plateau it's gonna be a pretty hard mental game. Not progressing for quite some time. Making this big jumps will only hit the plateau earlier. My own personal experience in this, just keep doing the jumps as prescribed. That way you have milked everything you can from Linear Progression. After that jump on something else, i can recommend The Bridge. It's a free program from Barbell Medicine.

Plus, squats were back to feeling like my form was on. The last two sessions I was able to move the weight but I felt like my knees were moving inwards as I pushed up out of the bottom of the movement. Last night was a lot better, and slightly easier even though the weight keeps going up.

Sweet! We need some number pushers on there, so come get for us!

Bent over rows keep getting harder as the weight goes up. Might be reaching a threshold there and am getting dangerously close to not completing the 5x5 in a workout. That's a good thing, right? :D 

That's the main goal for Linear Progression. What's your tactic after you hit failing the 5x5?

• Like 1

I need to chime in on the spreadsheet. Did deadlift 190x5 and back squat 135 2x5 in my workout today. Not gonna try to navigate it on my phone though.

Personally when 5x5 failed me, I would ooze into 531 stuff. Historically, shortly thereafter winter would end and I would go back to playing outside instead of powerlifting.

I used to lift October to February roughly. My DL would go from about 135 to 210 1RM both winters I was dedicated to this, and then I would lose it over the summer. It occurred to me today: I am stronger now than I was 5 years ago and not pregnant. Weird.

• Like 1

Yeah funny how these things can go...

I started a few (4) years ago, on my own, with Stronglifts. Worked up real smooth till something around a squat of 110-120KG and a DL of 140KG (which was really ugly and certainly not good for my back).

Next i did a few years on and off lifting, now i started seriously again at the start of the year, with entering a PL beginners meet end of May. Just to have a goal.

This renewed focus made my Squat grow from a previous PR 1RM of 140KG to 140 KG for 5 reps and a 1RM of 152.5 KG!

Over the years i never got back to deadlifting more than the ugly 140 i did once. But now i'm doing 4x140 KG, and a 152.5 1RM. Though i still hate doing heavy deadlifts for multiple reps. It's a mental thing.

Pretty unbelievable that this was achieved in just 2 months of training...

I think you guys had this mostly updated,

but I redid the calcs for the latest results and here is the leaderboard

you guys have pushed deadlift (particularly)  a long, long ways!

DEADLIFT

OVERHEAD PRESS

SQUAT

BENCHPRESS

1 124.29 jonfirestar 1 44.54 Mr_Willes 1 123.65 jonfirestar 1 62.37 jonfirestar                              
2 115.32 DaemonCorax 2 40.81 jstanlick 2 112.46 Mr_Willes 2 60.30 jstanlick                              
3 108.56 Mr_Willes 3 40.78 jonfirestar 3 84.55 DaemonCorax 3 55.18 Mr_Willes                              
4 98.41 Charlie_Quinn 4 35.53 jarric 4 78.17 jstanlick 4 43.71 Raxie                              
5 82.88 Librarian of Doom 5 29.81 Raxie 5 72.66 jarric 5 26.25 Thom Stepan                              
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2019 at 1:08 AM, Mr_Willes said:

That's the main goal for Linear Progression. What's your tactic after you hit failing the 5x5?

Honestly, I’m usually on to my summer running program by now, so I’m not sure. I’ve never had this problem before. I have been thinking of using the FitBod app and seeing how adding AI into my programming works. I tried the app and it gave me 3 free workouts before it wants me to buy a membership. I’m ridiculously cheap, but $50 for a year of programming that is supposed to adjust based on your results seems cheap enough for me. 

On 3/6/2019 at 4:03 PM, DaemonCorax said:

istorically, shortly thereafter winter would end and I would go back to playing outside instead of powerlifting.

This checks out. This is how my years tend to go. But, I am enjoying getting stronger this time around. So, I’m going to ride this as long as I can and go from there. 

2 hours ago, jstanlick said:

Honestly, I’m usually on to my summer running program by now, so I’m not sure. I’ve never had this problem before.

I think the usual course of action for LP, when you start failing lifts is to lower your weights by 10%. This gives you a running start again at breaking past the point where you last failed. But there is also a program that is free, and has worked for many people as a good follow up to LP. I'm a big fan of them and their programming. Be sure not to get lost in their abundance of information they put out, that is a little tricky.

The program is called "The Bridge". It's a small ebook with a training program that is meant to be for the people who had drained the linear progression.

It also uses the RPE a lot to scale your workouts, the same way we use it here in BRUTAL.

If you have any questions, be sure to hit me up!

2 hours ago, jstanlick said:

I have been thinking of using the FitBod app and seeing how adding AI into my programming works. I tried the app and it gave me 3 free workouts before it wants me to buy a membership. I’m ridiculously cheap, but $50 for a year of programming that is supposed to adjust based on your results seems cheap enough for me. 

That seems pretty good too, i would just be curious, who and what is behind "this program". But as a deal it does not sound that bad. The last programs i bought were 44.99 for an 8 week program, and 49.99 for a 12 week program, but i didn't mind with the meet happening at the end of those programs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

That seems pretty good too, i would just be curious, who and what is behind "this program".

I was trying it out and then I noticed someone at the gym using it. So, I asked him about it. He likes the fact that it takes feedback from you on its version of RPE and then tries to map out rest and exercise progression as it learns more about you and your recovery time per muscle groups. Plus, you tell the app what kind of equipment you have access to and what your goals are and it puts together a plan based on that. The idea is a personal trainer in an app. I'm not sure how good it is or that I'll ever know without trying it. Anecdotally, I know of one person IRL that likes it. For $50 for the year I might be willing to try it out. I think you can also go month to month for $7/month. I might try that out just to see how I like it first. I'm also going to checkout the Bridge. Thanks for posting the link!

• Like 1

Assuming we're keeping this going from last challenge, I just updated the leaderboard with my new numbers from Friday.

After being super low energy and super depressed about it, I am trying to embrace the fact that all my body wants to do right now if grow a baby, sleep, and deadlift.

Squat: 140 for reps

DL: 195 for reps

If I pass 210 while still pregnant I'm going to laugh, because 5 years ago that was my 1RM.

Still. I feel puffy. A bridemaids dress sent me into the mental darkness yesterday because my lat/tricep definition is nonexistent right now, but my pecs and arms were too big for the dress. The rest of the damn thing fit fine!

• Like 2

New program and new numbers. So I've adjusted various things around and most of my numbers have dropped since I'm no longer doing crazy AMRAP sets. I'm still well in the lead with the Deadlift but I've dropped down the ranking with the Squat and OHP. Since I'm currently training for an Ultra Marathon (or 3) it will be interesting to see how my numbers fair over the summer.