• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor brutal gif

B.R.U.T.A.L.

Bold.Rangers.United.Together.Attempt.Lifting

Seems like there are quite a few Rangers this challenge which are getting back to (or are continuing) a lifting routine. That's why me and @jonfirestar thought it would be fun to bring us all together in one thread so we can thrive off of each other, in a friendly competition kinda way.

Now i'm not quite sure how we are going to make this work, but a thing that popped into my mind right now is:

Weight --> Reps --> RPE --> E1RM --> Wilks points, per lift

That way we can update with our last training results, calculate an estimated-1-rep-max, and thanks to the wilks points compare to each other. People who aren't familiar with RPE E1RM and Wilks points. I will elaborate in due time.

So if you are in need of some friendly lifting competition, sign up and post your last workout, so we can get this party started! Also if you have good ideas for how to format this thing, let's hear it. It's suppose to be a fun competiton, aimed at excelling in our lifting workouts.

Now i will be off, visiting the rangers i know that are lifting this challenge, if you know a Lifting Ranger that i haven't visited yet, feel free to direct him or here!

And if you have any personal questions, DM or tag me!

• Like 11

I'm intrigued...  Not quite sure what my goals will look like yet, but I like the group accountability.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

let's do this :) 

8 hours ago, Terra said:

I'm intrigued...  Not quite sure what my goals will look like yet, but I like the group accountability.  

7 hours ago, Librarian of Doom said:

Definitely wanting to get back to some kind of lifting program this challenge. I'm in!

3 hours ago, bker1370 said:

I'm in.  Let's get this party started.

19 minutes ago, Morag said:

I wantz it ze preciousss!!

Sent from my phone via Tapatalk

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor schweet gif

Actual people in here!!!

Hehehe, all good. Here is an example of how i envision this little competition.

Like i mentioned i want a way to let us all compete with each other. I know for myself i thrive on a little friendly competition. So i was thinking about a way to be able to compete against each other, no matter what gender or weight you are. So i have come up with somewhat of a formula.

I need the following from you as information:

1. Your weight
  2. Your gender
  3. Type of exercise
  4. Exercise Weight
  5. Completed reps in a set
  6. RPE

RPE stands for Rate of Perceived Exertion. If you never heard of this you can follow the next links. It's a system to evaluate your lifts, thought up by Mike Tuchserer explained in text here and on youtube by Alan Thrall in part1 and part2.

Now i haven't been working that long with RPE scores, and they can be pretty hard, especially if you go lower than RPE 7. But don't overthink it, any guesstimation is good, remember this is a friendly competition, and you putting up bigger numbers than me is just going to make me go harder!

With those 4 pieces of information i can calculate an e1RM per type of exercise. This is a calculated, estimated, 1-rep-max.

For example:

Type of Exercise = Back Squat

Exercise Weight = 256 lbs

Completed Reps = 4

RPE = 9

This calculates into an

e1RM = 296 lbs

My Weight = 84.8 KG (187 lbs)

My Gender is male.

So here comes our friend Mr. Wilks, and he came up with a coefficient:

(The Wilks Coefficient or Wilks Formula is a coefficient that can be used to measure the strength of a powerlifter against other powerlifters despite the different weights of the lifters.)

And according to Wilks my score for an e1RM of 296 being a 187 lbs male = 88.49 Wilks

So now we have a score, which "should" be mostly equal for men and women of any weightclass. So i want to make a (google) spreadsheet, with a list of exercises everybody does, putting in the names of everyone that wants to join, and if you post your numbers here i can recalculate them into a Wilks score and it should be pretty easy to compare yourself to other Lifting Rangers.

Now i will start by posting the numbers i have since i started my new weightlifting program last sunday.

Please let me know what you guys think of the format and if this somewhat workable or if we have to completely overhaul the mechanisms!

Remember it's supposed to be fun, so anything goes!

• Like 7

Mr_Willes: 187 lbs Male

Weights:

Back Squat: 4 reps @ 256 lbs @ RPE9 = 296 lbs e1RM

1 count paused BenchPress: 4 reps @ 127 lbs @ RPE9 = 147 lbs e1RM

2 count paused DeadLift: 5 reps @ 205 lbs @ RPE9 = 245 lbs e1RM

2 count paused Squat: 5 reps @ 242 lbs @ RPE9 = 289 lbs e1RM

Overhead Press: 4 reps @ 112 lbs @ RPE9 = 130 lbs e1RM

Pendly Row: 10 reps @ 116 lbs @ RPE9 = 164 lbs e1RM

Wilks Score:

Back Squat: 88.49

1 count paused BenchPress: 43.95

2 count paused DeadLift: 73.25

2 count paused Squat: 86.40

Overhead Press: 38.87

Pendly Row: 49.03

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mr_Willes said:

Here is an example of how i envision this little competition.

Okay let's see if I understand this using yesterday's workout. What are you using to calculate the e1RM? 

jonfirestar: 207lbs Male

Weights:

Bench: 15 reps @ 132 lbs @ RPE 9.5 = 198 lbs e1RM

Bent over Row: 8 reps @ 137 lbs @ RPE 9 = 170 lbs e1RM

Dumbbell Incline Press 5 reps @ 115 lbs (that's 57 *2 is that the right way to do it?)  @ RPE 9 =  128 lbs e1RM

The rest of this workout was bro stuff and pullups so we'll ignore that. 

Wilks Score.

Calculating using the e1RM

Bench Press: 56.17

Bent over Row: 48.23

Dumbbell incline Press: 36.31

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Okay let's see if I understand this using yesterday's workout. What are you using to calculate the e1RM? 

jonfirestar: 207lbs Male

Weights:

Bench: 15 reps @ 132 lbs @ RPE 9.5 = 198 lbs e1RM

Bent over Row: 8 reps @ 137 lbs @ RPE 9 = 170 lbs e1RM

Dumbbell Incline Press 5 reps @ 115 lbs (that's 57 *2 is that the right way to do it?)  @ RPE 9 =  128 lbs e1RM

The rest of this workout was bro stuff and pullups so we'll ignore that. 

Wilks Score.

Calculating using the e1RM

Bench Press: 56.17

Bent over Row: 48.23

Dumbbell incline Press: 36.31

I'm using an excel sheet that i got when i acquired my new lifting program. But there also is an online version:

RPE to e1RM:

https://weightroom.uk/tools/rpeestimator

(i just learned that it has a max 10 rep cap)

Wilks converter:

https://wilkscalculator.com/lbs

When i input your numbers i get the following:

Bench: 15 reps @ 132 lbs @ RPE 9.5 = N/A (due to being over 10 reps)

Bent over Row: 8 reps @ 137 lbs @ RPE 9 = 180 e1RM

Dumbbell Incline Press 5 reps @ 115 lbs @ RPE 9 = 137 e1RM

Now lets crosscheck with my excel sheet:

Bent over Row: 181

Dumbbell Incline Press: 138

So that's pretty good. We can use above tools to do the converting. IF we don't do more than 10 reps in a set, because that wouldn't be PowerLifting, it would be cardio...

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor cardio lifting

Sounds good?

But i am willing to make the conversions for everybody, if they just put up the numbers from lifting together with their weight (and gender) of that day, i will make conversions and put them in a google spreadsheet for everyone to see.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

So that's pretty good. We can use above tools to do the converting. IF we don't do more than 10 reps in a set, because that wouldn't be PowerLifting, it would be cardio...

I can't agree to those terms :) Especially since both 5,3,1 and the Juggernaut Method, two very popular powerlifting programs, use AMRAP sets that can and should be more than 10 Reps if you can manage it and I'm sure going to be lifting more than 10 Reps when I do my deadlift set tomorrow. 

What's the formula on your excel sheet? I'll either add something into my own spreadsheet that I am using to track my training or I can cobble something together so that everyone can use it? 

Picking apart: https://weightroom.uk/tools/rpeestimator it looks like the formula is simply

weight / RPEIntensity

The RPE intensity number is the secrete sauce but you can extrapolate that down to 0.6 for 15 reps at RPE 9.5

Soooo

132 / 0.6 = 220

Bench: 15 reps @ 132 lbs @ RPE 9.5 = 220 lbs e1RM 

Wilks 62.41

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think the 1rm estimation I used previously, which was the Epley Formula  and doesn't take the RPE into account, might be more accurate since I estimate my own potential 1RM to be between 195 and 200lbs ;) but I'd like to compare things to the formula you are using.

Alternatively we could just use a different formula for when the reps go over 10. https://strengthlevel.com/one-rep-max-calculator it gives lower overall numbers but it'll still work. 

• Like 2

I love the nerd-heavy air in here. I have no clue either way, but I love the conversation! Discuss!

Sent from my phone via Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Thom Ulfhedinn said:

Saves my brain power if you use it.

I suppose you will want me to convert my weights from kilos to pounds.

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

Not necessarily i do my own lifting in KG, i have an excel sheet set up that converts. So you (we) are all good!

4 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I can't agree to those terms

LOL, that's what you get setting up a competition amongst likeminded nerds!

I just burst out laughing reading that first line!

4 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

:) Especially since both 5,3,1 and the Juggernaut Method, two very popular powerlifting programs, use AMRAP sets that can and should be more than 10 Reps if you can manage it and I'm sure going to be lifting more than 10 Reps when I do my deadlift set tomorrow. 

What's the formula on your excel sheet? I'll either add something into my own spreadsheet that I am using to track my training or I can cobble something together so that everyone can use it? 

Picking apart: https://weightroom.uk/tools/rpeestimator it looks like the formula is simply

weight / RPEIntensity

The RPE intensity number is the secrete sauce but you can extrapolate that down to 0.6 for 15 reps at RPE 9.5

Soooo

132 / 0.6 = 220

Bench: 15 reps @ 132 lbs @ RPE 9.5 = 220 lbs e1RM 

Wilks 62.41

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think the 1rm estimation I used previously, which was the Epley Formula  and doesn't take the RPE into account, might be more accurate since I estimate my own potential 1RM to be between 195 and 200lbs ;) but I'd like to compare things to the formula you are using.

Alternatively we could just use a different formula for when the reps go over 10. https://strengthlevel.com/one-rep-max-calculator it gives lower overall numbers but it'll still work. 

I took the easy road cause even though i have the excel sheet i don't want to pick it apart. I'm pretty sure it will be one of those rabbit holes.

... 30 mins later ...

I briefly ventured on the rims of said rabbit-hole, but i'm not going in, my excel-fu is not good enough to understand this.

I will see how far the excel sheet goes for reps...

It does over 25 reps... So we can use that too, but you would have to trust me on the calculations...

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor do you trust me gif

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

LOL, that's what you get setting up a competition amongst likeminded nerds!

I just burst out laughing reading that first line!

:D this is one of the few places I feel totally comfortable just letting the nerd loose and having fun with it! 

7 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

I briefly ventured on the rims of said rabbit-hole, but i'm not going in, my excel-fu is not good enough to understand this.

You could accidentally just copy the formula and paste it into a whatsapp message with my phone number on it. Just sayin.

I actually don't have a problem with purchasing a program except the Bridge 3.0 wouldn't be the first one I buy from BBM - I'm very probably going to use one of their GPP templates for when I come off of my current strength block since that would nicely slot into the time I have between the end of the strength phase of my programming and when I do my first Ultra OCR.

20 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor do you trust me gif

Hmmm, well, you are the man who grabbed my arse within moments of first meeting you. But you did ply me with chocolate and beer afterwards soo... 

original.gif

Looking at the formula is mostly to satisfy my nerdy curiosity but if you want to crunch the numbers go for it. Did my own estimation of the bench come out close? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Did my own estimation of the bench come out close?

Can't do 9.5 in the sheet, but

15 reps 132 lbs @ 9 RPE = e1RM of 218 lbs

Sweet, i'll try to set up an google spreadsheet tonight and will link it here and in the firstpost.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mr_Willes said:

Can't do 9.5 in the sheet, but

15 reps 132 lbs @ 9 RPE = e1RM of 218 lbs

At RPE 9 mine would come out at 216 lbs. So I'm not far off. I think the numbers I'm using are less specific 

Well this looks like fun! Monday's workout:

1. Your weight - 75.3kg
  2. Your gender - Male
  • Type of exercise - Overhead Squat
  • Exercise Weight - 42.5kg
  • Completed reps in a set - 1
  • RPE - 9.5

• Type of exercise - Front Squat
  • Exercise Weight - 77.5kg
  • RPE - 8.5

• Type of exercise - Squat
  • Exercise Weight - 100kg
  • RPE - 9.5

9 minutes ago, Jarric said:

Well this looks like fun! Monday's workout:

1. Your weight - 75.3kg
  2. Your gender - Male
  • Type of exercise - Overhead Squat
  • Exercise Weight - 42.5kg
  • RPE - 9.5

• Type of exercise - Front Squat
  • Exercise Weight - 77.5kg
  • RPE - 8.5

• Type of exercise - Squat
  • Exercise Weight - 100kg
  • RPE - 9.5

Type of exercise - Overhead Squat

e1RM= 43 KG

Wilks = 30.56

Type of exercise - Front Squat

e1RM= 79

Wilks = 56.14

Type of exercise - Squat

e1RM= 102

Wilks = 72.48

• Like 1

ok,  I'm "in"

and I intend to begin weight lifting on Friday.

Absolutely NO smurfin' idea what those numbers mean....

but

I will try to figure out how to calculate them.

lets do this!  how does this go again- you pick up the magic sword and go "by the Power of grayskull", right?

tenor.gif

seems more brawny than

by the Power of a Wilks of 59.78!

... but if you guys Insist!

I totally need to get the awesome physique!  and there is no magic sword around....

question.

can you get RPE from your heart rate (HR/10)

or is it better to estimate your rpe?

2 minutes ago, TGP said:

question.

can you get RPE from your heart rate (HR/10)

or is it better to estimate your rpe?

Basically RPE comes down to, how much do you have left in the tank.

Could you do one more rep? RPE9

Could you do more 3 more reps? RPE7

Could you do not one more rep? RPE10

So this always a guesstimate, you have to guess what you got left in that set.

This also means that for the same exercise an RPE9 the weight could be 100 or 150, depending on what kind of set you are working.

• Like 1

I always do reps of 5 in sets of 3...

so lets talk of the Last Set.  if I can barely push it 1.MORE.TIME

is this a RPE of 10?

but... I've already done that motion 15 times; it can't be near my my 1 REP Max. ?

----

my feeling is that I'm best to get my heart rate; get the average Heart rate, subtract from resting pulse and divide by 10.

would this be a good way to do it?  by that calculation, I'd sure get a RPE of 5 - 7

actually THIS;

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/#gref

is pretty darn close to what I did before.

2 alternating workouts- both of which are "full body".  3 sets of 5.  add little amounts of weight frequently.

its been so long since I programed that I've entirely forgotten WHY , I set up the program like this but....

I held it together for about half a year and progressed nicely.

so... BRUTAL is brilliant! I totally need to get back to it.

• Like 1