Radost runs again

Radost

Hiiiiii I’m back!  I kinda burned out in the fall with my cat health drama and all but I’m feeling the need for some structure and challenge AND I’M RUNNING AGAIN AND IT’S WONDERFUL. Except for the part where my discipline is so lacking that I’m getting like 1-3 runs per month, whoops.  So. Goals!

Fitness

* run at least once every week - pass will be 75%

* strength train 2x/week - pass will be 75%

* stretch every day - pass will be 80%

Diet

* food journal every day

* be mindful of snacking at work

* I need to figure this out. Something needs to change but I just don’t have the energy for counting calories (and that hasn’t been a successful strategy for me in the past) and there’s no obvious, straightforward things to cut down/out. My best success was a few years ago when I just went for the “half your plate” veggie goal and - in concert with running 2-3x/week and being so sad even chocolate had no appeal - that worked great. Now, I think I can make the activity levels happen, but I have no plans to get my heart broken and suffer unexpected financial stress, sapping enjoyment from almost everything in my life...

Speaking of which...

Life

* get my files fully transferred to the new computer. It’s been a month, ffs. Pass is 100%

* 30 mins/week of prep for the Fate ttrpg I’m planning to run once my current D&D game wraps in a month or two. Pass is 100% but I can get bonus points for extra time. 

Swag

If I pass all sections this go round, I’ll commission the art I’ve been thinking about putting on a workout shirt. Then next challenge if I pass I get to make the shirt. :)

And yeah, auto-fail on this if I don’t get a proper diet goal in place by the end of Week 1. 

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Radost said:

AND I’M RUNNING AGAIN AND IT’S WONDERFUL

YAY!! Running is wonderful! I'm glad that you are back. Is your foot all better now? 

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

On 1/3/2019 at 8:07 AM, jonfirestar said:

YAY!! Running is wonderful! I'm glad that you are back. Is your foot all better now? 

Basically?  I definitely still feel strain there sooner/more than on the other side, especially if I get lazy about stretching, but it's firmly in the zone of "occasional strained feeling when pushing my limits" and no longer in the zone of "pain that sometimes intrudes on or prevents activities." 

Whatever reason that took you away from us, I am glad you have found your way back to help contribute to the tide of success the Rangers are building for 2019.  Together we're unstoppable!

• Like 2

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Zero week recap:

It's good to be back!  This week, at least, I successfully used shame accountability to get my butt in gear, fitting in a run and a strength training session because dammit I was not going to come in here with nothing to report.

I think for diet, I'm just going to do a food diary + be mindful of snacking at work for now.  If that evolves into something more...active? as the challenge goes on, great.  If not, it gives me a baseline to get some direction from for next time.

Life goals are on track.  Spent probably an hour on Fate stuff, finally finished adding all my music to the new iTunes, and moved my non-work-related documents to the new computer.  Still to come are photos and probably some other stuff that I can't think of without actually tooling around on the old computer.  Got to get this done ASAP, though, because this time when I opened the machine up I fully busted a chunk out of the case where it was cracked around the hinge (which was the reason for upgrading) and now there's wires and shit fully visible.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Radost said:

Got to get this done ASAP, though, because this time when I opened the machine up I fully busted a chunk out of the case where it was cracked around the hinge (which was the reason for upgrading) and now there's wires and shit fully visible.

Well so long as it's still working. The innards are fairly robust. 

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

On 1/7/2019 at 2:34 AM, jonfirestar said:

Well so long as it's still working. The innards are fairly robust. 

Mostly.  The power cord is housed right beside the hinge and those wires have come loose, so it's hard to get it plugged in properly.  But yes, I think it will remain a viable backup for a while despite its many problems.

Food journal is proceeding okay.  I hate it, but I think it's good for me, and it's just...hating seeing those words on the page.  I can cope with the amount of time it takes up and it's not stressing me out like trying to calorie-count my home cooking does. 

Running is in danger of not happening this week.  I tweaked my ankle on Monday, you know how you sometimes, like, sit on something funny or just walk weird or whatever, not even actually twisting the ankle?  So I hoped it would be fine after I slept on it, but it was still really bugging me yesterday, and trying different shoes/insoles hurt rather than helped.  Today I foam rolled my calf and knee and doubled up on socks, and it has been a lot better, so fingers crossed it's 100% tomorrow and I can get a run in, but if not I'll sub a third strength training session and cry a little inside. 

I'm almost there on the computer.  I've transferred my photos from 2013-present, just need to transfer my pre-2013 archives (man, I need to cull those one of these days...) and find whatever other random stuff needs to move, so I hope I'll be done this weekend!  And then we can go back to just having two computers taking up the dining table!

• Like 3

Well, it looked good for a while, but week one was a hard fail in the end. 

Fitness:

failed on running (kind of excusable with my ankle trouble)

failed on strength - just got one workout in, 50%

succeeded at stretching every day, 100% there. 

Diet:

completed food journal in the first half of the week but stopped halfway. Fail. 

Life:

made some progress on the computer stuff and achieved my RPG goal, so that’s a small success. 

This week I'm starting fresh on the food journal rather than worrying about catching up. I’ve also already done my run for the week, so that’s a good start, and I’m not working extra shifts at the preschool, so it’s likely that I’ll be able to squeeze in a lunchtime workout on Thursday at least.  I think I’d better also hold myself to not picking up Skyrim on Saturday until I’ve met my fitness goals for the week. 

My sibling’s just started going to the gym at their workplace, and I think they would also really enjoy a D&D-themed workout shirt, so I gotta get on track and earn my swag. 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Radost said:

With your injury last year. 100% excusable. If it's not feeling good take the rest. 

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

But you succeeded in listening to your body.

This week I'm starting fresh on the food journal rather than worrying about catching up.

Good idea. Don't feel weird if you skip a few days, right now it's not a habit to write things down so it'll be hard.

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20

My Fitness Pal - inactive

On 1/15/2019 at 2:14 AM, jonfirestar said:

With your injury last year. 100% excusable. If it's not feeling good take the rest. 

*cough*differentfoot*cough*

I’ll take the cheerleading, though, thanks! 

On 1/15/2019 at 7:24 AM, Echoceanic said:

But you succeeded in listening to your body.

Skipping the run was a good choice, for sure, based on my energy levels this week, which are high and free-flowing! I’m still pretty challenged by the food journaling but met my exercise goal and tacked on an extra run for the mini-challenge!  

To give some perspective on just how uncomfortable I am with calorie counting, a board games/D&D friend was mentioning on Thursday that she’s tracking her food and maintaining X caloric deficit and it’s going great and she’s seeing some results and likes the program she’s using to track. Yay! I love when friends are happy about healthy changes in their lives!  But somehow when she described her X cal deficit, I immediately thought about how impossible it would be to maintain that myself, and I’ve been frequently revisiting for days now the way I felt at about an X/2 deficit when I maintained that for a while, and even that is giving me the stressed anxiety feels. I guess I just need to really take some time to remind myself that it’s okay if staying strong is more important to me than getting small, and just because X is easy for someone else doesn’t mean there’s something wrong with me if a much lesser version of X is really hard for me, just that I’m different. 

• Like 2

Week 2 belated roundup

Fitness:

Running - success with style! Ran twice, didn’t break anything!

Strength - success.

Stretching - 5/7, success but barely. I actually stretched all but one day, but several of those days I didn’t do a full stretch, just hit the most important muscles in 5 minutes or less. 

Diet:

Fail again. I may need to change this goal because Week 3 is going no better so far. 

Life:

No progress on computer stuff

only 15/30 minutes spent prepping my game 

Got to step up. Week 3 is going okay fitness wise but slow on everything else. 

• Like 1

Week 3 fitness goals accomplished!  Well, I guess I still have two nights’ stretches to follow through on. But that should be no problem. 

I ran my usual route for the first time in forever today and it was hard as balls. I’ve just started my period, so I’m sure that played into it, but it does support my hypothesis that it’s a tougher route than the streets I’ve been running as I work up to distance. I was feeling kind of down for a bit as there was a very fast dude running the other way who passed me three times in the 3.5k loop of trail that forms the centre of my route. But I finished with an average time of...my average time, so I’m trying to remember that it’s not about whether I look like a Fast Person Running Fast, but whether or not I’m challenging myself and growing and improving. 

Speaking of challenge and growth, I signed up for my first race! It’s coming up in early June in a town a couple hours from home, so I’m hoping to book an Airbnb and make a romantic weekend of it, but it’s totally possible to drive up day of if I need to. I went for the 10k “sport” race, so next month I’ll be making sure I get two runs per week and gradually lengthening one. Ideally I’ll be able to get back to doing 12-13k for my long run so that 10 is nice and chill, but I have to be careful of my foot still, so we’ll see. 

• Like 3
On 1/24/2019 at 3:26 AM, Radost said:

I actually stretched all but one day, but several of those days I didn’t do a full stretch, just hit the most important muscles in 5 minutes or less. 

Something is better than nothing.

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20

On 2/1/2019 at 12:45 AM, Echoceanic said:

Something is better than nothing.

So true!  Although also half-assing it is not the same as completing goals.  Overall, I'm feeling good about my daily stretches, though I wish I was better at making time for extra stretching throughout the day/getting stuff that's not on my regular list.  For example, at bedtime I always hit my gastrocs and soleus calf muscles and my hamstrings, then usually do 1-3 of hip flexors, glutes, groin, quads, or hamstrings again from a different angle.  But I've been finding that foam rolling my calves and knees has been really beneficial when I can make time for it.  I do add it in at bedtime, but then it's taking the place of something else that's also beneficial...

• Like 1

Final wrap up:

fitness

I kicked ass on my fitness goals!  Technically I just passed, since one week I only met one goal, but my subjective experience of going from “I commit to running once a week” to “I’m jazzed about running twice a week” while maintaining my strength training felt like a major win. 

diet

I utterly failed to meet my goal in this area. I thought food journaling would be enough better than actual calorie tracking that I could manage it, but I was wrong. It doesn’t help that I have a lot of snack tables in my life atm - some of them mostly very healthy, but it’s overwhelming to try and write down the eight different things from fresh veggies to homemade pickles to vegan miso/nut cheese, and I’m stubbornly unwilling to not try everything. So I’ll figure out a different approach next time. 

life

Won one, lost one.

I was so. close to getting my computer transferred over - pretty sure I got all the files, but several of my playlists got messed up when I imported them to iTunes and I’m only about 1/3 of the way through fixing them. Womp-womp. 

I did great work on campaign prep, though. Pretty sure I managed well over two hours over the four weeks and I have a fair bit of material to show for it. 

swag?

not this time. Maybe next. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Radost said:

but my subjective experience of going from “I commit to running once a week” to “I’m jazzed about running twice a week” while maintaining my strength training felt like a major win

That is a major win. 

• Like 1