obax ~ the long road continues

obax

I'm trying to look at these challenges as parts of a larger journey, rather than discrete units of success or failure, so despite falling off the wagon a bit in my last challenge, I'm still moving along the same long road heading towards the same distant goal. I've climbed out of the ditch where I lazed about for a while, and am moseying along once again. The Long Road continues, and so will I.

65388-1532567184-1429876386.jpeg

Goal #1 ~ Running

Run 3x/week. At least one run per week should be 2.4k, and be part of a FitPin test (more on that later).

Bonus goal: map out a few routes that won't suck too much in the hill department but will allow me to increase distance. Pick one route of 5k or longer and run it at least once during the challenge.

Goal #2 ~ Pushups and Other Things

So, the OPP has changed their fitness requirements. I no longer have to do the PREP test (though I still need to if I want to apply anywhere other than the OPP), but I do have to pass the FitPin test within 1 week of being hired, so I want to know I can pass it relatively easily before I even apply (and, if I can pass the FitPin easily, I should have the fitness to pass the PREP with just a bit of practice, so it helps if I decide I want to branch out at all). There are 4 components: pushups, a forward fold stretch, a 2.4k run, and a weird posterior chain/core thing that I can't adequately describe. The running is being taken care of in Goal #1, and the stretch in Goal #4. That means this goal is about the pushups and the Other Thing (which is what I'm calling it now, I think the OPP call it the trunk extension). So I will work on pushups every other day. One session of pushups will be a single max set, and will be part of a FitPin test (more on that later).

Bonus goal: figure out some way to practice the Other Thing on the regular....... it's an awkward thing to do (I mean, the exercise itself is awkward to perform), but I may have to summon up my 20 seconds of courage and ask the coaches at the gym, they were all more than happy to help with the shuttle run, so...

Goal #3 ~ Meal Prep

This is an on again/off again thing with me. Partly it's because I don't think ahead quite as much as I should, and run out of food with no real plan to make more, and partly because I get tired and/or lazy and put it off to the next day, and then the next day I get tired and/or lazy and put it off to the next day, and on and on until I have nothing in my fridge but 30g of moldy cheese, a couple wrinkly apples, and a single stale tortilla.

This isn't the most concrete of goals, at least not at the moment. I think for now I'm going to tackle this by making a plan for my next meal prep as soon as the current one is done (eg. if I cook on a Sunday, once the cooking is done, I'll sit down and think about what I want to make next, make a grocery list, estimate how long my food will last, and then pick a day to shop that will give me some overlap, but not lead to spoiled food). Obviously the shopping day is flexible, if I badly over- or underestimate how long my current batch of meals will last me, I'll have to shop sooner or later, but I'd like to have an idea in my head of when I next need to head to the store. I think having a plan about what I want to make and what I need to get to make it will go a long way by itself, so that's my main focus for now.

Bonus goal: simple crockpot recipes will be helpful here, I think, since I can just chop some things, throw it in the pot, and then go to bed/to the gym/to work/to whatever, and come back to a tasty meal. Even if I don't have time/energy to do a full meal prep, at least I'll have a crockpot full of food for the next day to give me some wiggle room. So I will find some new crock pot recipes, and try at least one during the challenge (suggestions welcome).

Goal #4 ~ Stretching and Other Things

My perpetual goal of physio and stretching. Daily, because if I give myself an inch and say 5/7 days per week or something, I'll take a mile and do it once and never again. Bare minimum: 4x physio exercises (3 for my posterior chain, 1 for my thoracic spine), plus quad stretch and calf stretch. In a perfect world it will also include butt/hips, hip flexors, extra hamstrings, feet and pecs.

Bonus goal: find a way to work GMB's Elements program into things. It's not logistically possible at the moment, and getting this done during the challenge is a very long shot due to things out of my control, but I want to work towards this (more on this later).

Goal #5 ~ Bedtime

I often watch TV to wind down before bed, and occasionally play video games, and often come on here. This won't change, when I say bedtime I mean TV/computer off and I start reading a magazine. Usually I'm off to sleep within less than a page. So, on nights when I have to get up early, I'll do this by 10pm. On nights when I have to work but not until later, it'll be 11pm, and on nights when I have the day off, it'll be midnight. Most often this will mean Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday will be 10pm; Sunday and Wednesday will be 11pm; and Saturday will be midnight.

Goal #6 ~ The FitPin Test

As part of the new fitness requirements, I should be practicing the entire FitPin Test at least once per week. I asked the recruiters if I could practice each element separately (an ideal situation), but alas, they told me I should not (they didn't say 'cannot', but I want to try my best to do as they suggest). So, I need to figure out how to do this. Three of the elements are easy enough to do, I go for a run, then do a stretch, then do some pushups. It's the Other Thing that will be the difficult thing to fit in. I have an idea of for how to do it (ie. I have worked out the theoretical logistics), but it requires a helper, and I will not always have access to a helper on the day I will be doing this test. The most logical day to do this test would be my full day off, which is almost always a Sunday, but Tuesday afternoon would work as well, depending on appointments/other commitments, so we'll see how this one goes...

No bonus goal for this one, just doing it is going to be hard enough.

Other Things

~ Move forward with preparing the basement for my Imminent Arrival (my mom wants to make my current room a spare room for her to go to when she has a bad night, and I want to move to the basement so I have more room to contain me and my life). If I can get this done it's a win/win, but I might have to be the motivator on this one, which means I may have to learn how to paint a wall, since I don't think my parents will pay for that but want it done before I move down there, as well as the carpet being redone, but I think that one is beyond me. Being in the basement will also give me the space to practice the Elements program whenever I want and in privacy, which will make the bonus part of Goal #4 a lot easier to achieve.

~ Explore options for courses to take to help make my resume look better than it does. This could be in person or online. One resource is CPKN, which is a site that offers police-related online courses (sadly, none are free), but another thing to look at is improving my mental health intervention skills, or conflict resolution, or something like that.

~ Clean my g-d room! I've stopped making this a goal, obviously, but it'll need to be done if I'm going to move to the basement, so a head start on that wouldn't be a bad idea. At the very least, I can try to purge some old magazines and other junk that's accumulated here and there.

• Like 6

I was really curious, so I looked it up. The test is an isometric hold, but you can train those muscles by doing back extensions on a GHD machine or a Roman chair if you have access to a gym or on a stability ball if you don’t.

When my back went out the good PT had me buy a Roman chair (US$150 on Amazon) and do reps of 15 every other day. When those were easy, slow them down instead of doing more reps or adding weight. Squeeze your glutes and brace your core and don’t hyper-extend.

Also, following.

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Solstice Challenge

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I don't know if it will be as helpful to you as it was to me, but I used to be part of a group that said "there is no wagon" because our bodies are always with us. We have times of motivation for dealing with fitness and health and times when we don't, but if we're making a lifestyle adjustment, there is no wagon to fall off of. Just some bumps in the road. Glad to hear you're safely past one of those bumps!!!

• Like 4

Hobbit Ranger seeking balance (and cookies)

Current Challenge

19 minutes ago, Librarian of Doom said:

We have times of motivation for dealing with fitness and health and times when we don't, but if we're making a lifestyle adjustment, there is no wagon to fall off of. Just some bumps in the road.

Man this is so good!  Thanks for sharing!!

She's right Obax!  You and I tend to look at things as pass or fail, off or on.    Maybe if we can edge our brains to think more like the above, it will be better overall.    Good goals as always.    We both have the meal prep thing going on too, so maybe we can swap some winner recipes!     No bed time focus this time around?  I'm still trying to get mine to work.   

• Like 1

Level 69 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

18 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I was really curious, so I looked it up. The test is an isometric hold, but you can train those muscles by doing back extensions on a GHD machine or a Roman chair if you have access to a gym or on a stability ball if you don’t.

When my back went out the good PT had me buy a Roman chair (US$150 on Amazon) and do reps of 15 every other day. When those were easy, slow them down instead of doing more reps or adding weight. Squeeze your glutes and brace your core and don’t hyper-extend.

Also, following.

There's a GHD machine at my gym (it's a crossfit gym, so not a tonne of fancy equipment), but the open gym hours are not super convenient for me and my work schedule, so I don't want to rely on that alone (that's where my 20 seconds of courage comes in, not so much asking if it's cool if I use it, because I'm certain it will be, but using it while people are watching, since I would most likely be using it before or after class). I might consider getting a roman chair if I could find a cheap one, I assumed they were more expensive than that (though in Canadian dollars, who knows...?) I do have a stability ball, though, and using what I've got is certainly cheaper than buying new equipment. It never occurred to me to do a back extension on a ball, I'll have to give that a try. It's a place to start, anyway, thanks for the suggestion!!

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Man this is so good!  Thanks for sharing!!

She's right Obax!  You and I tend to look at things as pass or fail, off or on.    Maybe if we can edge our brains to think more like the above, it will be better overall.    Good goals as always.    We both have the meal prep thing going on too, so maybe we can swap some winner recipes!     No bed time focus this time around?  I'm still trying to get mine to work.   

I'm still struggling with bedtime. To be honest, I kinda forgot about it (I remember being like 'I feel like I'm forgetting something' just before I hit the post button...) but I sort of feel like it's always in the back of my mind anyway (regardless of how often I go to bed on time or not, I'm almost always aware of when my bedtime is, and how badly I'm missing it or not missing it), so maybe I'll just leave it out this time and see if it goes better or worse than when I put it in.

And ya, that's kinda of what I'm trying to do with looking at these challenges as parts of a larger journey. For me, ultimately, there is a pass/fail goal (either I meet the requirements for police or I don't), but I don't have to be 100% between now and then to still make progress, and that's what I'm trying to focus on.

• Like 1

Zero Week Update (Thus Far)

Did 3x10 pushups yesterday. Ran today, 4.1k in 25:something, which is slow for that route but the sidewalks were treacherous enough that I had to slow down to a walk at every corner or risk wiping out, and even the straight sidewalks were slippery. I love winter, but I really wish my city could do a proper job of clearing sidewalks...

Other than that, not much going on goal-wise. I've done some physio etc., but I can't remember when (I definitely did it Tuesday after my run, but that might be it), food prep was done a few days ago and I have one thing thawing in the fridge to replace some stuff I'll probably finish tomorrow. I have the whole weekend off so I may give the FitPin test a try. I already know my score will be not great, but gotta do what I gotta do.

• Like 4

I don't know if it's the new year rolling around or what, but everyone seems to be coming up with these wonderful and inspirational things. I mean:

On 1/3/2019 at 4:26 AM, obax said:

I'm trying to look at these challenges as parts of a larger journey, rather than discrete units of success or failure, so despite falling off the wagon a bit in my last challenge, I'm still moving along the same long road heading towards the same distant goal. I've climbed out of the ditch where I lazed about for a while, and am moseying along once again. The Long Road continues, and so will I.

Following as always :) 

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

iatetheyeti's odyssey: part one || part two

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

On 1/2/2019 at 10:26 PM, obax said:

65388-1532567184-1429876386.jpeg

Your pic made me think of how I'd respond you as that lone gunman...

No one walks alone in the Rangers, my friend.  Your back is always covered and your front always supported.  B)

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

Current:   Cry Havoc™: Bladesong of the Warhawk

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

On 1/5/2019 at 8:08 PM, Rurik Harrgath said:

Your pic made me think of how I'd respond you as that lone gunman...

No one walks alone in the Rangers, my friend.  Your back is always covered and your front always supported.  B)

Thanks man. Actually made me tear up. But just, uh, for, like, only 1/2 a second. Yeah....... I'm not teary, you're teary!

Seriously, though, I definitely feel alone a lot in real life, with respect to my fitness stuff (which is why I was so bummed when I thought I'd have to give up the crossfit), but in life in general too, so that's a good reminder. Especially because this tends to be the first thing to fall by the wayside when I feel like I'm having a rough go...

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, obax said:

Seriously, though, I definitely feel alone a lot in real life, with respect to my fitness stuff (which is why I was so bummed when I thought I'd have to give up the crossfit), but in life in general too, so that's a good reminder. Especially because this tends to be the first thing to fall by the wayside when I feel like I'm having a rough go...

This should be the first place you visit when you're having a rough go.  Call on us, and we shall appear in our dozens, with cloak and bow and lightsaber and pistols and spaceships and bestial companions to support you.  No Ranger walks alone! 

Doubly true for my inbox should you ever need some personal support or motivation.  :)

• Like 3

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Last Weekend of Zero Week

Saturday was a No Pants Day. I intended for one of my days off to be a No Pants Day, and I woke up Saturday with a headache from the crazy weather changes we've been having, so I decided that would be the day. I technically had to put on pants at one point, to go out to sell a thing I had advertised on kijiji, but the rest of the time, I spent the day lazing on the couch, talking with a friend who's going through a bit of a rough patch, watched Independence Day on TV (it was just on as I was finishing the phone call with my friend, and I couldn't find anything better), then watched Sherlock all evening. It ended up being a pretty decent No Pants Day, and when I went to bed that night I felt like that was really what I needed.

Then I slept poorly that night, and now I feel like I need another No Pants Day... I sort of had one today too, though I put on pants to go to the dog park with a friend and our pups. The north wind was blowing like crazy and the temp was dropping, and I was so cold by the time I got home, I just sort of curled up on the couch with a blanket and didn't go out for a run like I intended...

One thing I did accomplish, though, was moving my mom's treadmill from the basement to the spare room, which is the first step in making the basement my own. It didn't fit through the door, so I had to disassemble it, but of course we had every size of Allen key except the one that fit the bolts, so I had to go by 2 sets of Allen keys because I didn't know if I needed metric or SAE sizes. So now we have every conceivable size of Allen key known to man, but I successfully disassembled, moved, then reassembled the treadmill (and it still works!) Next step is getting paint, moving the furniture, and painting the walls. My dad will want to do it, because he doesn't think I'm capable of doing anything on my own, but he takes FOREVER to get anything done, so once the paint is in the house, I may just have to acquire a paint roller, brush, and tray, load up a YouTube instructional video, and go at it when he's not looking. My mom's itching for this to be done too, and is toying with the idea of just ordering the new carpet for installation, which would force my dad to paint before it comes, but I feel like that will backfire and result in paint getting on the new carpet sometime next year...

Plan for Tomorrow

Message the gym owner and see if I can chat with him before the noon class, then attend the noon class. Then I work 1:30-9:30, so even though I have to be up early on Tuesday I'm not sure a 10pm bedtime will happen. I want this to be a thing but I'm not actually sure if I can make it happen, I just can't fall asleep that quickly after getting home from work. I guess all I can do is try...

A Note

Despite what I told Starpuck, I decided to add in a bedtime goal, I'm not very good at sticking with that goal, but I think not having one will make it worse... So it's 10pm on nights when I have to be up early the next day (generally, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday), 11pm when I don' start work 'til 1 (Sunday and Wednesday), and midnight when I have the day off the next day (Saturday).

• Like 3

I am not brave enough to paint before I installed new carpet. I've always painted before I put in the new flooring. 

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

13 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

No Ranger walks alone! 

Heck yeah!   And you and me are linemates!    Like Lemieux and Jagr!   Or Toews and Kane!   Or ... or, I don't know any of your teams epic pairings.    But you get it!

13 hours ago, obax said:

then watched Sherlock all evening

You reminded me I still need to get S4 giong on this.

You are *SO* one of my people Obax.   You got the same offer from me that you do from DR.  And hey, my cell phone doesn't count Canadian calls as extra stuff, so I can totally give you some digits to text or call if ya want.

You'll nail the painting project.  I actually LOVE painting walls.    Here's a tip my dad always would say, "Don't skimp the paint on the roller.    Keep it wet!"    A lot of people try to really spread the paint with excessive roller strokes, applying more and more pressure to make the paint go further.    He would always say to not do that.    Let the paint and the roller do the work.

Also - bed times.    I hear ya.   I also can't fall asleep quickly sometimes.   So my plan is to just use the bedtime goal as a way to get into a good bedtime ROUTINE.   Like, "shut down screen time 20 minutes before lights out" - I can still write down bujo stuff, or sketch in a pocket sketchbook, or read a book book... but screens are off.    Eventually, I figure, getting into habits that support falling asleep once in bed, will be good.     Oh!  I just remembered hearing somewhere, to NOT do other things in your bed ever.   Like don't read in your bed, or watch tv in your bed, let the bed itself be a sign to your body that it is for sleeping.   (I don't follow that myself, hah, such a rebel - but it does seem like a logical suggestion.)

Sorry for spamming you in this post!

• Like 2

Level 69 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

Spoiler

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

1 hour ago, Starpuck said:

Heck yeah!   And you and me are linemates!    Like Lemieux and Jagr!   Or Toews and Kane!   Or ... or, I don't know any of your teams epic pairings.    But you get it!

Since I'm not really a hockey guy, how about...

BriefSociableGhostshrimp-small.gif

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Ok, but I get to be Moose.   I mean Sam!   Wait... SHE should be Moose, since ... Canada.  ;)

• Like 1

Level 69 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

Ok, but I get to be Moose.   I mean Sam!   Wait... SHE should be Moose, since ... Canada.  ;)

Dibs on Dean, at any rate.  Cuz #emotionalbaggage, #unhealthycopingmechanisms, and #whiskey haha

• Like 1

On 1/6/2019 at 1:08 AM, Rurik Harrgath said:

No one walks alone in the Rangers, my friend.  Your back is always covered and your front always supported.

All of what he said. No doubt about it. 

16 hours ago, obax said:

Saturday was a No Pants Day.

The best days for sure!

16 hours ago, obax said:

but he takes FOREVER to get anything done, so once the paint is in the house, I may just have to acquire a paint roller, brush, and tray, load up a YouTube instructional video, and go at it when he's not looking. 

I'm going to second Starpuck's roller advice. I had to repaint a few ceilings in the last place I lived and I did the whole spread the paint thinner with the roller thing. It did not go well. At all. It looked awful and patchy and I had to give it a couple more coats than I'd planned to get rid of that patchwork look. 

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

iatetheyeti's odyssey: part one || part two

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

10 hours ago, Starpuck said:

You reminded me I still need to get S4 giong on this.

You are *SO* one of my people Obax.   You got the same offer from me that you do from DR.  And hey, my cell phone doesn't count Canadian calls as extra stuff, so I can totally give you some digits to text or call if ya want.

You'll nail the painting project.  I actually LOVE painting walls.    Here's a tip my dad always would say, "Don't skimp the paint on the roller.    Keep it wet!"    A lot of people try to really spread the paint with excessive roller strokes, applying more and more pressure to make the paint go further.    He would always say to not do that.    Let the paint and the roller do the work.

Also - bed times.    I hear ya.   I also can't fall asleep quickly sometimes.   So my plan is to just use the bedtime goal as a way to get into a good bedtime ROUTINE.   Like, "shut down screen time 20 minutes before lights out" - I can still write down bujo stuff, or sketch in a pocket sketchbook, or read a book book... but screens are off.    Eventually, I figure, getting into habits that support falling asleep once in bed, will be good.     Oh!  I just remembered hearing somewhere, to NOT do other things in your bed ever.   Like don't read in your bed, or watch tv in your bed, let the bed itself be a sign to your body that it is for sleeping.   (I don't follow that myself, hah, such a rebel - but it does seem like a logical suggestion.)

Sorry for spamming you in this post!

Not spamming, 'tis all appreciated. Is it bad I can't come up with an epic Canadiens pair? I always went for the goalies anyway, Patrick Roy was my guy when I was a kid. And thanks for the painting advice! My dad would for sure be one who skimps on the paint on the roller, which is maybe why his paint jobs aren't usually very good...

9 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

I do not get this reference, but I get the point of it. I have no idea which one is Moose, but I will gladly accept that moniker (I've actually never had a nickname before, so that might be kind of fun!)

8 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

All of what he said. No doubt about it. 

The best days for sure!

I'm going to second Starpuck's roller advice. I had to repaint a few ceilings in the last place I lived and I did the whole spread the paint thinner with the roller thing. It did not go well. At all. It looked awful and patchy and I had to give it a couple more coats than I'd planned to get rid of that patchwork look. 

Thanks man! For the support and the seconded painting advice. I think between me and my mom we can cause the paint to be in the house in a relatively short amount of time, then I just have to have a couple of free days and I'm off to the races!

• Like 2

Week One, Monday

Crossfit today. After doing no lifting for 2 full weeks, I'm pretty sore tonight, and my legs felt a little shaky during the squats, but I got them done. Tried to pin down the owner for discussions, but he had a lot going on and had to go right after class. He's not worried about it, so I'm going to try not to worry about it also. And really, I don't care if he wants to put off getting paid, but if it goes on too long I'll feel like I'm taking advantage, even though it's his doing and not mine, but I'll try to ignore that until he has some time to figure it out.

Worked 1:30-9:30 after that, and I was right about not making my 10pm bedtime, I didn't even eat dinner until 9:50pm... I'm turning things off after posting this, but, while I was pretty tired all day long, I'm not feeling very sleepy, so who knows when I'll actually fall asleep.

I did not do pushups nor stretching/physio today (beyond the bit of stretching I did after the gym), though I probably should have done at least the later, considering my soreness. But I'm prioritizing sleep, so I just ate then got into bed to commence winding down.

I might try to squeeze in a run tomorrow, but I volunteer in the morning and then have a few appointments in the afternoon, one of which is physio, and I definitely don't feel like doing anything after that (and he recommends not to do anything other than stretching anyway), so I'm not sure if that'll work out. And that's all assuming I can even walk properly after all the squats today, so........ If I don't get a run in, it's not a big deal, I'll run on Wednesday instead, it just means I only get to the gym twice this week instead of my hoped-for 3 times.

• Like 3

True story, our dear friend and teammate, who was in the states for 3 years for work, ran with the nickname Moose while on our team.  It definitely comes from a place of respect!   We went with Moose, because our goalie, also from Canada, went by Turtle.   (Because her strap got under her skate, while coming out to challenge a girl on a breakaway, and she went belly side up as the girl skated by... aka turtle.)

• Like 1

Level 69 ~*~ Ranger

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Week One, Tuesday

Took a rest day. I am so sore... That, and the appointments, which were closer together than I first realized (good thing I checked my calendar before my physio appointment...), and a run was not in the cards today. So I will run tomorrow after work.

Gonna do my pushups after posting this, though that will put me past my 10pm bedtime. I went to a movie tonight with a friend (Bumblebee), and didn't get home until about 9:30pm, and there's no way I'm falling asleep by 10... I will do the quick version of my physio and stretching as well. And that's really it for today

• Like 1

Week One, Wednesday

Still so, so sore... Even walking at a normal speed was painful... Needless to say, I did not run (the blizzard outside may have had something to do with it as well...) Tomorrow morning I will run for sure though, normally 2 days is enough to more or less recover when I'm really sore like this...

Got some food prep done, some taco beef, a pot of rice, and a phyllo pastry casserole type thing that I made up one day. Did my stretching and physio, though I feel like I could just spend all day stretching (I may do a bit more after posting this). It's not a pushup day, but I might do a few back extensions using Sloth's swiss ball idea (they're not easy for me to do in the space I have, but I can probably do a few before I get frustrated and/or fall off the ball). I should make my bedtime of 11pm.

Gonna spend some time this weekend thinking about a way to record all this in, like, a checkbox form, or something. I saw someone's whole year on a couple pieces of graph paper (each box was coloured for a thing accomplished), so I might see if I can do something like that (I'm not sure I'm up for trying to have a complicated BuJo thing, though maybe this would be a gateway to that). I'm doing a good job of remembering to fill out my fitness log, so if I do this along with that I might just remember to do it. I think it'd be helpful for daily goals like the physio/stretching or bedtime, and help me see that I am accomplishing things even when it feels like I'm not (for example, because I missed my run today I feel like I didn't really accomplish much, but I accomplished all my other goals. Being able to see that might help a bit with sticking with it).

• Like 1