• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chemgeek

Chemgeek comes out of the Fade

Holidays. Not great for scheduling, sleep, routine, diet, exercise, MH, productivity, physical health, or basically anything that isn't dwelling entirely in my own head (which, like the Fade in Dragon Age is a place that parallels but doesn't necessarily faithfully reflect reality). The holidays are a sinkhole for all my self care in general. Annnd so I wind up stuck in The Fade. 

This challenge is all about getting out of The Fade. Things that are good for getting me out of my head: 

1. Exercise - get back to at least 5 hours a week. Doesn't matter what kind. 

2. Sleep - sleep at least 8 hours. Every night. Full stop. 

3. Routine - set myself a project so I have structured time during days off. 

4. Outside - Get out of the house at least  2x a week not related to work. 

5. Fun - spend at least 30min on something fun. Every day. 

6. Clean - spend at least 30min on cleaning a room or rooms. Every day.

7. Food - cut out needless quantities of holiday junk food. No junk unless making food from scratch, keep busy enough I can only make junk maybe once in a week if that.

• Like 2

Accountability: I am going to go for a run at the track right after breakfast which I am having at 1PM because I was in The Fade until 3:30AM last night and chose to sleep until noon. This will get me out of the house (I like my hermiting a bit when I get the chance but I haven't left The Hermitage in a week) and tick off an hour of exercise AND I am eating a healthy breakfast so win all around. 

(This is why I plan to never retire. Without structure for my day I fall apart into a mental sludge puddle and I am not really disciplined enough of a person to self impose structure before I sludge puddle for a while. Some folks do well with unstructured time. I am not one of them. Too much free time leads to too much thinking. Too much thinking leads to brooding. Brooding leads to sulking and next thing I know I am unironically listening to Numetal staples from my youth as if I am still an angsty teenager and that's about where my headspace is too. Busy and structured me is best me. Both in terms of my ability to function like a human and not a sludge puddle and also in terms of my general physical and mental health. FSM help me if I ever get a serious illness that imposes a bunch of unstructured free time, because I honestly don't think I could cope. I would end up lost in the Fade for sure).

What I am saying is: sludge puddle time is over. Time to get functional human again.

Also lesson learned: no more booking off more than a week of vacation time at once unless I am scheduled up to my eyeballs.

• Like 1

Did the thing. Despite having done sweet eff all for the past 2 weeks and not running regularly since summer I broke 1hr on my 10k which I have been trying to do off and on for a year.

Apparently just concentrating on my form and doing 3 to 1 laps run to walk and ignoring pace entirely is the key to shaving a full 11 minutes off my 10k compared to my previous PB. 

Seriously. 11 minutes. I would gripe about getting rewards when I have been sliding the past two weeks but OTOH I can chalk it up to diligence in attending ball hockey and martial arts all last quarter so what the hell, I will take it. :)

note: my previous PB was 1 hour 8 minutes so it is not as amazing as it sounds but still. I broke 1 hour by 3 and a bit minutes. Not too shabby.

(Edit to clarify: Ran 10.5k in 57 minutes. Not really sure where I passed the 10k point but safe to say I destroyed my previous PB.)

• Like 2

Yeah after reviewing my run and pegging my performance relative to other runners I think ALL runs that I am not working stairs or sprints are going to be"nice, easy form runs" from now on. Cuz holy crap. I did a better 10k pace than my typical 5K pace. And went from a significantly below average pace to above average by a bit. More of that plz.

Congratulations on the running PB!

I hear you on the benefits of a good routine. I hope that everything else picks up quickly for you.

Congratulations on the progress with your running!! that's great news!!

Also I am so excited for your challenge theme, I'm a dragon age nerd and I love what you're doing!  I'll be checking in for sure!!

1 hour the day before yesterday. Rest day yesterday (DOMS was real. Also I made the mistake of wearing my old worn out runners cuz I didn't want to dig my new runners out of my bag... Bad idea. My feet were so sore yesterday. And my midfoot joints were crackling like rice crispies. Not using old runners again.).

I had planned to do stairs today but the arena is closed for an event so instead I will break out some new kit I got for the holidays and do a bodyweight / exercise band routine for upper body and do leg day at the track tomorrow. That's after I cooked real food for breakfast and did dishes and cleaned the kitchen a bit.

And after THAT I am going to get out of the house for groceries. Lookit me adulting all this adulty stuff like a functional adult and everything. :P

EDIT to add one of the things I really like about my generation (hey fun fact Millenials are pretty much anyone between 20 and 40 so we're not exactly children anymore, news articles about us to the contrary notwithstanding) is we're the ones who made a word recognizing that adulthood isn't a state of being, it is a process and a choice. That to me is what adulting as verb represents: the idea that if you're a bit of a screwup adult, that's not the end of the world.  You can work on your adulting skills and get better, as opposed to many folks from earlier generations I know who seem to view all the skills of adulthood as innate moral traits and immutable.

To me, adulthood is a choice. Do I choose to moulder on the couch or do I choose to be responsible for my life? And the act of adulting is taking steps to embody my idea of "adult" like how running is enacting the steps needed to call yourself a "runner".

Pun not intended. :P

• Like 3

Nice body weight upper body workout: did it all but had to modify the hover push-ups and the last set of walk outs. If you want to kill your upper body this is great for it .

Did the thing. Hardest part was V pull ups. Not sure lack coordination or what but those are hard. 

Realized I am only 1K from daily step goal so doing track laps till I hit it before I leave.

Hit step goal. Also need to pack for a work trip tonight (will try for a strength day tomorrow, DOMS and jetlag permitting. Haven't done that stairs routine before so don't know how unhappy my legs will be with me tomorrow).

So. Funny story:

I was hangry after gym. Partner was doing stuff with a friend downtown and couldn't pick me up for about 40min. 

Cue cranky child voice, "But I'm hungry NOOOOW!"

So I decided to run home. It's only 2.5k, not a big run. At -3 out it was nippy but not unreasonable. 

But.

I forgot something. Something important.

The important thing was that I left my keys at home. Oops.

TL;dr that's how I wound up weirding out the neighbors by clearing the driveway in running gear without a jacket in winter until my partner got home.

And today my legs are moderately dead but I am travelling anyway.

• Like 3

On 1/5/2019 at 11:03 AM, chemgeek said:

And after THAT I am going to get out of the house for groceries. Lookit me adulting all this adulty stuff like a functional adult and everything. :P

EDIT to add one of the things I really like about my generation (hey fun fact Millenials are pretty much anyone between 20 and 40 so we're not exactly children anymore, news articles about us to the contrary notwithstanding) is we're the ones who made a word recognizing that adulthood isn't a state of being, it is a process and a choice. That to me is what adulting as verb represents: the idea that if you're a bit of a screwup adult, that's not the end of the world.  You can work on your adulting skills and get better, as opposed to many folks from earlier generations I know who seem to view all the skills of adulthood as innate moral traits and immutable.

To me, adulthood is a choice. Do I choose to moulder on the couch or do I choose to be responsible for my life? And the act of adulting is taking steps to embody my idea of "adult" like how running is enacting the steps needed to call yourself a "runner".

Wow, look at you getting out and doing all the things. I'm glad to see that you are healthy and getting to be active again.

It's odd to me to see all the criticism of Millenials. Ten years ago the economy was in free-fall. No one could get jobs, especially not young people with no experience. That made the whole generation start on bad footing. The job situation is better now but real wages have not increased at all. It is no fair to compare the life choices of Millenials to Boomers or even GenX.

I like the concept of adulting as an active choice. I feel forced into it a lot of the time. Knowing that I can put it aside for awhile is important to my mental health.

My observation is that in the 20th century, most people had a crash course in adulting when they became parents. Contraception was only available in the last 25 years of the century. People who were careful or lucky could take longer to explore options in their 20s. Lots of people had to suddenly face responsibility for kids. Some did better than others with that. I saw older adults treat married young adults much differently than they treated unmarried people the same age. I think the main difference was that jobs paid better so that young people had the opportunity to live on their own earlier.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, chemgeek said:

Did the thing. Hardest part was V pull ups. Not sure lack coordination or what but those are hard. 

It's not just you, man. Compression work is hard, especially if you focus on quality. It'll make you strong in the core once you get it, but it's not exactly a standard move these days, ever since planks and hanging work became the darlings of the fitness world.

6 hours ago, chemgeek said:

Morning brings core and breakfast and digging through the better part of 300 work emails, all before 7:30. 

Yay for getting sleep, core and breakfast. All giving you the strength to face sooooooo much work.

I hope your trip goes well and you get to do some fun things too.

Or not. Rhinovirus used common cold. It's super effective! Chemgeek has asthma flare!

Instead of martial arts, I am going to bed early tonight to try to sleep it off.

• Sad 1

Woke up 3x last night, never woke up enough to realize that if I have a cold and am sleeping poorly and my chest feels funny it is probably an asthma flare and I should take puffers. Sooooo when I woke up this morning I am 1, almost as tired as if I didn't sleep 10 hours and 2, in a mild bordering on moderate asthma exacerbation. 

Going to work and gonna see how it goes. If I am still wiped at noon, I will bail and go home.

I posted a hidden thing by mistake. Here is the post: 

Tho I skipped yesterday, luck made me make it up today. I had to unpack a new piece of lab kit and wound up with a pile of bubble wrap bigger than me. It was physical work and I am tired.

• Like 2