• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ensi

The IE Group - Intuitive Eating Support Group

Welcome to the IE Group!

tumblr_o90nw3TtaB1rhl1gao1_500.gif

This group is for everyone, who wishes to practice intuitive eating. It doesn’t matter, if you’re just starting or if you’re a seasoned veteran: everyone’s welcome! This group is for sharing ideas and experiences around intuitive eating, and to offer guidance with issues that members might have.

Rules:

• Intuitive eating is a very personal experience, so we’re not here to tell one another how to do it “right”. Instead, we support everyone to find their own way and navigate through their issues
  • Discussion should be mostly about intuitive eating and everything that has something to do with it
  • Personal venting is allowed, but put it under spoilers
  • Do not share material that encourages dieting or food restrictions - this group is not the place for that
  • Sharing material on intuitive eating is allowed
  • Avoid discussing exact calorie amounts or goal weights, as some might find this triggering (or put them under spoilers, too)
  • Taking part in challenges and other activities is optional. Use this group in any way you find helpful
  • Taking part in discussions that you find difficult or emotionally taxing is not expected of you. If something's too much for you to handle, feel free to skip the discussion
  • if you have any issues with the group (topics of discussion, atmosphere, conflicts etc.) OR you have a topic you feel uncertain about, send a PM to the group moderator (currently: Ensi) and the moderator will help you out with your problem

It is very likely that there will be discussion surrounding eating disorders and/or unhealthy relationship with food, since many discover intuitive eating after a long time of dieting or suffering from an eating disorder. This is why it’s important to understand that we are not trained psychologists, therapists, or dietitians: this group doesn’t replace getting professional help for your issues with food, but we’re here to offer support to one another. Some of us might have a healthy relationship with food, some not, and it's all OK: we're here to learn and grow :)

How to join? Come and say hello! If you wish to give a brief introduction of yourself and/or a link to your current challenge, that would be lovely :) ( But don't feel pressured to share any information you'd rather keep to yourself.)

What are the challenges about? The point of the challenges is to give one another mental support as we do things that are new and/or scary to us. For example, we might try eating our fear foods, or spend a week paying extra attention to our hunger or satiety signals. We encourage you to come up with your own challenge ideas and tell us about them: this is a wonderful opportunity to get support for something specific you're struggling with!

Current members:

• Ensi
  • Terah
  • Tobbe
  • Mad Hatter
  • TheGreyJediRanger
  • Arkania
  • Tanktimus the Encourager
  • RedStone
  • suzyQlou
  • Mahalak
  • annyshay
  • Cheetah
  • Diadhuit
  • Defining

Intuitive Eating Resources

Books

Videos and podcasts

Articles

Activities and exercises

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Mad Hatter said:

Shiny! Thanks again for setting this up, you rock.

Thank you for the wonderful suggestion to bring the group here! And at the same time, I'd like to apologize for my absence...! It's been a bit hectic IRL, but I will do my best to take part in the conversation from now on :)

Still catching up from the old thread earlier today. @RedStone thanks for posting your hand-written note. It was really helpful for me to see. I’m playing with some different kind of journling, and I tend to overthink things. I’m going to simplify and just include a few things at a time. 

Ok. Now I’m ready to jump back in. Thanks for setting this up, Ensi!

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, suzyQlou said:

Still catching up from the old thread earlier today. @RedStone thanks for posting your hand-written note. It was really helpful for me to see. I’m playing with some different kind of journling, and I tend to overthink things. I’m going to simplify and just include a few things at a time. 

I'm so happy to hear! I know what you mean about over thinking the journalling, I'm a big journaller but at the end of the day it's usually no more than a few sentences or a few short paragraphs at best but it helps me ^_^ The food journals are more like logs for me tho, quickie and scrappy, a week or so usually gives me a pattern to look at! One thing at a time, simple is good :) Good luck!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, suzyQlou said:

Setting an intention to journaling has helped me a lot...! It keeps me from overthinking, and I've gotten better with time (for example, "I need to vent about this thing" and then I just focus on venting). It's OK to start small!

• Like 2

On 1/3/2019 at 1:54 AM, Tobbe said:

Started reading this (very old) thread at another forum http://happyeaters.spruz.com/forums/?page=post&id=E4C215B4-0F9C-481E-ABF1-450C277861F7

Only read the first page this far, then I got sucked down some other Internet rabbit hole... But already, in the first page, found two things I'd like to quote :) 

"If guilt and body shaming actually worked, you'd be a swizzle stick at this point."

"You quit being a hateful jerk to yourself. From there, you can do anything."

On page two now, and here are two more quotes

"I think of it [your body] as something to be cherished and cared for like a child or a pet. I'm the adult responsible for its care. Would I not like my child anymore if she gained weight? Would I punish her with insults, neglect, and more food? How about hating your bulldog for not having a greyhound body? 

Stupid, huh? Yet, that's what we do to ourselves. It's not ok. It's never ok. It's abusive. "

"I used to think, "I'll like myself when." That is so horrible. It's not even true. If you're miserable and you hate yourself at this weight, guess what? You'll still be miserable and still hate yourself no matter what you weigh or what size you wear. You can't hate and punish yourself happy. The love comes first, then the good habits, then the healthy fit body."

• Like 4

Read all pages now. Didn't really find much more to quote. So, don't feel the need to read more than the two first pages if you don't want to

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Sounds like a good time to repost @RedStone's journal prompts!

I'm adding the prompts to the resource list :)

4 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

I'm in as well. Trying to set up a good journal that is not too much to keep up with!

Welcome to the group! :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tobbe said:

"I think of it [your body] as something to be cherished and cared for like a child or a pet. I'm the adult responsible for its care. Would I not like my child anymore if she gained weight? Would I punish her with insults, neglect, and more food? How about hating your bulldog for not having a greyhound body? 

Stupid, huh? Yet, that's what we do to ourselves. It's not ok. It's never ok. It's abusive. "

This is good! I actually thought of my body as my "animal companion", when I started IE and recovering :D It helped a lot!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ensi said:

This is good! I actually thought of my body as my "animal companion", when I started IE and recovering :D It helped a lot!

Especially this part is gold! "How about hating your bulldog for not having a greyhound body?" Made me chuckle :) 

• Like 2

So, I had a couple of wins yesterday Thumbs Up

My wife's parents came to visit us to say "hello" to our newborn baby girl, and my wife wanted to have something to put on the table when they arrived, so she baked her favorite apple pie. I had a small piece of it, with some vanilla ice cream, when they visited. Later that night, my wife and I put on a movie and had some sweets in front of the TV. I opted for another piece of the apple pie with more ice cream. After finishing it all I immediately regretted eating all that pie. But, get this! Normally my thought would have been "Ohh, no, I shouldn't have eaten all that pie. That's way too many calories". But yesterday it was "Ohh, no, I shouldn't have eaten all that pie, I really didn't enjoy the last part of it all that much. I should have stopped eating while I still had full enjoyment of the food". This is such a big shift in my thought process!

And, as if the above was not good enough, after finishing that plate I started thinking about what to have more as soon as no one could see me (i.e. my wife had fallen asleep). I started getting this "this will probably turn in to a binge" feeling. I was thinking of having more ice cream, but with banana and peanut butter instead of pie. Started fantasizing about all the different sweet foods we have in the fridge/cupboards/freezer. But then I managed to switch my mind and thought process to "I want to be kind to my body", "I don't want to undo all the progress I've made" and similar thoughts, and instead chose to go brush my teeth and go to bed with my wife. And it felt great :)  

• Like 9

Hey people. I kind of stumbled into eating intuitively after I hit a mental road block when it came to doing any more calorie restriction. I was inspired in part by Mad Hatter, Arkania and Tobbe's challenge threads over the last few months. I'm fortunate to have never developed an eating disorder, though I can't say my relationship to food is all that healthy. I'm hoping to be more intentional about eating intuitively (ie, not emotionally, and not following a strict "diet plan").

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jett said:

I'm hoping to be more intentional about eating intuitively (ie, not emotionally,

Here are some good thoughts about emotional eating, please read them (they're all quick reads) :) 

https://isabelfoxenduke.com/the-most-common-emotional-eating-mistake/

https://isabelfoxenduke.com/how-emotional-eating-is-saving-your-ass/

https://isabelfoxenduke.com/my-ultimate-take-on-emotional-eating/

So I had a weird food moment today that I wanted to ask you all's opinion/input on :)

I was planning to cook this Indian dish for dinner, but then my wife said she wasn't feeling like Indian food today, and instead was going to make rice pudding for her and the kids. I hadn't thought about rice pudding for a single second as a food I wanted today, but when she mentioned it I did think it sounded better than the Indian dish. So I told her to please cook an extra portion so that I could have that too.

Now, the thing is, I always think rice pudding sounds like a delicious idea. But when I eat it I'm always disappointed and it never reaches up to my expectations. It just doesn't taste as good as I think it will. It's like I like the idea of rice pudding more than I like the actual meal. And I know this. But still, if I had said "no" to the rice pudding and had made my Indian dish for dinner instead I know I would still have felt like I was missing out... 

So how do I deal with this? What do I do in this situation?

33 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

So how do I deal with this? What do I do in this situation?

It seems like your concern is about which food is the more delicious? Or which one you "want" more?

My question to you is, does this really matter? Both could be tasty, though maybe neither one is perfect. But it fills your tummy when you're hungry, and you're eating with your family. What difference is it, really, if it's slightly disappointing rice pudding, or Indian food that only you were in the mood for?