• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ensi

The IE Group - Intuitive Eating Support Group

16 minutes ago, Terah said:

It would be strange if I was there making a salad for the family that my husband would show up with pizza... Why would she do this? Didn't you tell her you would take care of dinner?

She was following her intuition/cravings I guess, and just wanted pizza more than chicken salad that day...

1 hour ago, Tobbe said:

She was following her intuition/cravings I guess, and just wanted pizza more than chicken salad that day...

Even still, she should have called you to discuss it. I would get very angry if my husband did something like this. 

I try to incorporate the foods that the rest of my family loves every week, and often ask them what they want that week before grocery shopping. Do you do that too? Giving her some control over dinner might keep her from doing things like this. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Terah said:

Giving her some control over dinner might keep her from doing things like this. 

This is already in my plans :)  I wrote about it in my challenge thread 

She will get to decide what to eat, and cook it, for at least four meals in the next two weeks.

• Like 3

Just read this article, and found it helpful, especially the last section was powerful

https://vinccitsui.com/blog/2018/11/weight-gain/

"Does it really matter?"
Interesting! Does it really matter?
I would say yes and no. Mainly yes until doctors concentrate on that number alone and dismiss your diseases until you lose weight.
Thanks for sharing and sorry for the rant

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Diadhuit said:

Yes, sorry, English is not my first language. This is a typical Italian way to express the concept :)

Don't worry, just wanted to make sure I fully understood you.

I agree that weight stigma is a very real problem :( But it really is just the stigma, not the weight itself!

Question: If you eat dairy, is eating reduced-fat dairy products ever the right choice? Or should you always go for full-fat because that's tastier? Like should I ever opt for the no-fat Greek yogurt, or should I always pick the regular Greek yogurt (that is 10% fat here)?

2 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Question: If you eat dairy, is eating reduced-fat dairy products ever the right choice? Or should you always go for full-fat because that's tastier? Like should I ever opt for the no-fat Greek yogurt, or should I always pick the regular Greek yogurt (that is 10% fat here)?

It depends :p

If I eat full fat dairy products I have to make sure there is a bathroom nearby the entire day. No fat and half fat don't tickle my insides like that (other kinds of fat don't either, guess I'm just weird here). So go with what works for your body. If you think full fat is tastier, then go for it! I believe it's even healthier too because the fat makes you absorb the nutrients better or something like that.

• Like 2

^^^ What Terah said. ;) Depends if you're prioritising taste or calories. Vit D (which is often added to dairy) is a fat soluble vitamin/hormone, hence the 'better absorption' thought process. But so long as you're eating a good range of different foods it's not really an issue you need to worry about. There are also some studies that show a correlation between 'whole fat' dairy and a lower body weight, but those results aren't replicated when you examine studies done with low fat dairy, so some people take that to mean that full fat dairy is more healthy - but the only thing it actually shows (at least for now) is a correlation, not a causal relationship.

In general, low fat dairy isn't bad for you, and if you want to keep your fat intake balanced against the rest of your macros, it could be a good choice. Conversely, some low fat dairy stuff is absolutely disgusting (see: skim milk) - so, kinda up to you. :P Personally, I tend to go for 2% milk (which is less than homogenised at 3.5% dairy fat, but not as watery as the 0-1% stuff), 0% greek yogurt since I can't tell the difference in the taste anyway, low fat cheddar because I find the full fat stuff super greasy, and full fat whipped/heavy cream (because low fat whipped cream is a travesty). :D

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Defining said:

Depends if you're prioritising taste or calories.

Shouldn't we always, 100% of the time, prioritize taste? And I thought the mere mention of calories was a big NO-NO when doing IE. Is it not?

Vit D (which is often added to dairy) is a fat soluble vitamin/hormone, hence the 'better absorption' thought process.

Here they only fortify the low fat stuff with extra vit D, just because you can't absorb what's already there well enough with the lower fat. In full fat milk (~ 4% fat) you can absorb all the naturally occurring D so they don't need to add any extra.  But no matter - I supplement with extra D vitamin anyway during these winter months because we don't get much sun...

In general, low fat dairy isn't bad for you

I know, but I do question the additives they often put in the lower fat stuff... 

0% greek yogurt since I can't tell the difference in the taste anyway,

I totally can! The 10% stuff is so much creamier and smoother Yummy The 0% yogurt is drier and has less flavor (fat is a great carrier of flavor!)

And now I'm even more confused :(  I found an Instagram account by a Registered Dietitian who says she's all about "Food Freedom" and "Intuitive Eating". And in her feed this image pops up.

41553544_714790558888608_3745641763608642966_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fbma3-1.fna.fbcdn.net

And my thought was: Isn't it diet mentality to think about the number of calories in something? And why air popped popcorn? Regular oil-popped in a pot, with melted butter on top, is obviously more tasty!

What do you think about this?

Same account

37063605_508252279616911_189417193149038592_n.jpg?_nc_ht=instagram.fbma3-1.fna.fbcdn.net

This IG post was about "½ a plate of vegetables, 1/4 plate lean protein, 1/4 plate complex carbs".

Where's the sauce? My mouth would feel like a desert eating that! And why "lean protein"? What's wrong with fatty meat, like salmon? And what if you're feeling like more carbs than just 1/4 plate because you need more quick energy at that time?

26 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

I found an Instagram account by a Registered Dietitian who says she's all about "Food Freedom" and "Intuitive Eating".

Unfollow.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

What do you think about this?

It all depends on your goals. Gentle nutrition is a part of IE, and for some people it means educating themselves about calories. IE is not about free for all, but about eating sensibly. If you need to be aware about calories for that, AND can use this tool without falling into destructive habits, than so be it. 

But I do agree that this should be an afterthought when it comes to IE, definitely not the main focus. 

Also: I'm sensing that you are reading here "popcorn is good, peanuts are bad". But if you need some more healthy fats in your dietor if you need to gain weight, this would be the other way around. 

And about the plate: this is a general heathy nutrition principle. Again: this should not be the focus of IE, but it can help you redefine normal eating if you need that. And yes, I would add some sauce to this bland meal. 

This dietician does seem to have her priorities backwards when it comes to IE... 

11 minutes ago, Terah said:

Gentle nutrition is a part of IE

I know. And I know it's one of the last things you're going to learn. But I still find it interesting :)  Like, when do you choose a less tasty option, like using half-and-half to make a sauce instead of heavy cream, or 0% Greek yogurt instead of the much tastier 10% stuff? Or if you're having a soda, do you *have* to pick the one with real sugar in it, just because going with the diet soda is diet-mentality and not part of IE?

15 minutes ago, Terah said:

Also: I'm sensing that you are reading here "popcorn is good, peanuts are bad".

No. To me they're equal. To me they're both "TV snacks". Something you only eat because they taste good. In my mind they both equal candy.

17 minutes ago, Terah said:

And about the plate: this is a general heathy nutrition principle.

Yeah, to me this looks like something someone at Weight Watchers would tell you to eat.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tobbe said:

Like, when do you choose a less tasty option, like using half-and-half to make a sauce instead of heavy cream, or 0% Greek yogurt instead of the much tastier 10% stuff? Or if you're having a soda, do you *have* to pick the one with real sugar in it, just because going with the diet soda is diet-mentality and not part of IE?

Personally I'd always go for the tastier option if they're side by side. :) But it could be that having a lot of heavy cream in a sauce might make it too fatty for your digestion to handle it for example. Or sometimes it might actually suit the dish better to not make it so rich.

One case where I do choose nutrition over taste is when I'm starving and need food right now. 

You can always pick whatever soda you like better! The thing to remember is that one meal or one drink is not going to make a difference on the grand scheme of things. The gentle nutrition part here is not so much diet vs regular soda, but rather to not make soda a staple of your diet.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Unfollow.

Don't worry, I'm not following her. But I did find that she had some posts that were on point :)  

ig1.jpg.f31bc752310909fd19b9882f68114494.jpg

ig2.jpg.9be30e571de58f0ca5c83c4edc2ead14.jpg

ig3.jpg.ee801469980f3d3b2185906d53e77b3c.jpg

ig4.jpg.a454e0d883dec78c78998f4012152ca7.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

:( :very_drunk: But I like it! :D I know what you mean though... 

It's fine to like soda! And it's fine to drink it! But if you drink loads of it everyday, maybe your body won't be quite so happy. But if it doesn't cause any issues and you like it then whatever. There are better things to worry about.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Personally I'd always go for the tastier option if they're side by side.

Yeah, I was thinking in situations where both were equally available to you. Like when you're in the grocery store and you're thinking "Should I go for the 15% creme fraiche, or the tastier 36% creme fraiche, with no additives, that's right here next to it?"

14 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

But it could be that having a lot of heavy cream in a sauce might make it too fatty for your digestion to handle it for example.

I think I once heard about a person with that problem... Myself I have no problem drinking heavy cream straight out of the box, or eating mayo by the spoonful. Not to mention my youngest son who usually comes out to me in the kitchen when I'm cooking and asks for a piece of plain butter to snack on :D 

16 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Or sometimes it might actually suit the dish better to not make it so rich.

This is true. I actually opted to have milk in my pumpkin pie instead of heavy cream when I made it for thanksgiving for exactly that reason. Didn't think of that until now that you mentioned it. (Then, of course, I served whipped heavy cream on the side instead to the pie :)

4 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

It's fine to like soda! And it's fine to drink it! But if you drink loads of it everyday, maybe your body won't be quite so happy. But if it doesn't cause any issues and you like it then whatever. There are better things to worry about.

I do feel a little funky if I down more than two Red Bulls/Monsters in a row... But you're totally right, I have bigger issues to worry about than that right now!

13 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Not to mention my youngest son who usually comes out to me in the kitchen when I'm cooking and asks for a piece of plain butter to snack on :D 

Haha I love butter but eww. :lol:

• Like 1

Honestly, the popcorn photo looks yummier to me than the plain peanuts. And both would satisfy my need for a salty snack with a beer. So I think it’s good to see both side by side. I don’t think it’s terrible to know the calories in both. It’s kind of a reminder that I may get full on peanuts faster than I think - and may need to pause to re-evaluate before I gobble the whole bowl without thinking. 

The healthy plate is a reminder of a good place to start. After I start with a balanced plate, I can make changes based on what  my body is telling me in the moment. But if I start with a burger and fries every time, I may not give my body a chance to tell me it wants more lean meat or veggies. 

• Like 1