• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ensi

The IE Group - Intuitive Eating Support Group

I was thinking of you guys out on this thread as I started listening to a cooking audio book “Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat” by Samin Nosrat. I’ve been thinking more about flavor and cooking things yummier since I started thinking about food more intuitively.  I’m curious if anyone here has heard of the book...or has food cooking philosophies that they have discovered since starting IE. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, suzyQlou said:

I was thinking of you guys out on this thread as I started listening to a cooking audio book “Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat” by Samin Nosrat. I’ve been thinking more about flavor and cooking things yummier since I started thinking about food more intuitively.  I’m curious if anyone here has heard of the book...or has food cooking philosophies that they have discovered since starting IE. 

I have read the book! It was great, because she explains principles rather than just giving recipes. I now salt my meat as soon as I get it home, and I find it easier to diagnose and fix when dishes fall flat. I have also added an extremely richly flavoured and delicious slow cooked bolognese to my repertoire that I found on Nosrat's website. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I have read the book! It was great, because she explains principles rather than just giving recipes. I now salt my meat as soon as I get it home, and I find it easier to diagnose and fix when dishes fall flat. I have also added an extremely richly flavoured and delicious slow cooked bolognese to my repertoire that I found on Nosrat's website. 

Aha!  I didn’t to look for her website. I bet I’m going to love some new recipes. I will look for the slow cooked bolognese first!

Good blog post on different kinds of hunger, or different reasons for wanting food
https://www.rachaelhartleynutrition.com/blog/four-types-of-hunger-in-intuitive-eating

TL;DR: Four different kinds of hunger: physical, emotional, taste and practical. Eating is an appropriate response to all of these hungers.
Thanks Tobbe for this! I missed it before, but it's such a good one. I didn't know about practical hunger and I always thought I was not following IE well...

How is everyone doing? Progresses?
I started taking omega 3 supplements because I hate fish, and found myself suddenly craving for fish and seafood. It's one of the most amazing thing I have ever experienced! Yesterday I looked at pizza with meh, and went for mussles, that I thought I didn't like. It's funny and I like it!
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 3:49 AM, Diadhuit said:

I started taking omega 3 supplements because I hate fish, and found myself suddenly craving for fish and seafood. It's one of the most amazing thing I have ever experienced! Yesterday I looked at pizza with meh, and went for mussles, that I thought I didn't like. It's funny and I like it!

How unusual! I take fish oil, but I still dislike fish. I wonder if this new preference will stick?

On 8/10/2019 at 3:49 AM, Diadhuit said:

How is everyone doing? Progresses?

Doing okay. I've been staying at the same weight for several weeks, so that's something. I'm happy with what I'm eating - no feeling of deprivation. Though I do sometimes want sugary things. I still get down about my body image sometimes. 

How unusual! I take fish oil, but I still dislike fish. I wonder if this new preference will stick?

Who knows... I tend to have random cravings and they last a couple of months max. Aubergines (still having it sometimes, but decreasing), fish... they are very specific, but don't think they are emotional cravings (and now I just want to use this emojis: )
Sorry for the bad joke!

Doing okay. I've been staying at the same weight for several weeks, so that's something. I'm happy with what I'm eating - no feeling of deprivation. Though I do sometimes want sugary things. I still get down about my body image sometimes. 

Nothing wrong with wanting sugars sometimes. You might need it (or sleep, or a hug).
Body image is sooo tough! I only depise my belly, hair growth and my knees (why my mind decided knees should be round and not jointy I dunno!), but I loved my body before and will get there again. And so will you!!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Diadhuit said:

Nothing wrong with wanting sugars sometimes.

Word! I came here just to say this, but you beat me to it :) When I'm tired my body always asks for fast carbs to keep me going. It's clever that way :) 

1 hour ago, Diadhuit said:

Body image is sooo tough! I only depise my belly, hair growth and my knees

It sure is! I have a body image issue with my belly too. Diet/fashion industry has really done a good job making us all expect/want a flat stomach.

The hair thing is also all just an image they want to sell to us. A flat stomach isn't natural. Zero facial hair isn't natural. That's how they can make so much money selling that image to us. Trying to sell cellulites wouldn't make them any money, because everyone already has that!

• Like 2

It sure is! I have a body image issue with my belly too. Diet/fashion industry has really done a good job making us all expect/want a flat stomach.

The hair thing is also all just an image they want to sell to us. A flat stomach isn't natural. Zero facial hair isn't natural. That's how they can make so much money selling that image to us. Trying to sell cellulites wouldn't make them any money, because everyone already has that!
So true!! yet when I (female) have more hair than my male partner (not on the face thank God!, but on legs and arms) I don't feel relly pretty. And that is so often that reduces my love probability