• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
rketterman

RKetterman...rebooting

“Have you tried to turn it off and on again?”

On again off again is the story of my life.  

Who am I?  I’m a father of a 2 year old boy. I’m a husband.  I’m a chef.  Life got crazy.  Like Jack Nicholson stuck in a hotel during a snowstorm crazy.  I do ok on my own but better with the support of the community.  I lost 30 lbs on my own last year but gave myself too much wiggle room so I’m here to use the challenge to keep me on track again.

What do I want?  To get a healthier life so I can live it with my wife and son.

How am I doing it?  One step at a time.

Eat Better: Cheeseburger in Paradise -Jimmy Buffett
Rule 1: Keto 7 days a week. 26 net carbs, 137 g Fat, 179 grams protein per day.
Rule 2: Plan ahead.  Make menus, meal prep, expect the unexpected. Track

Exercise more: Let's get physical -Olivia Newton John
Rule 1: Take the stairs at work as much as possible.
Rule 2: Exercise 2 days a week for at least 15 minutes each day

Mental health: (You Drive Me) Crazy -Britney Spears
Rule 1: Read for 20 minutes each night before bed
Rule 2: Plan some travel time for this year.  1 major vacation and 3 mini (weekend or day trips)

Level Up: Opportunities (Let's make lots of money) -Pet Shop Boys
Rule 1: Create a family budget for 2019
Rule 2: Track expenses for January

This may seem like a lot to some but really most of the goals under each category work hand in hand with the exception of the mental health section.

• Like 2

So it's only fitting that the challenge officially starts tomorrow and I have a 6 month check up first thing.  I'll be creating my general health baseline tomorrow I guess.

• Like 1

So I'm on track for a pretty good week this week.  Menu was planned, had to switch a few meals around because of scheduling issues but I stuck with it.  I did my meal prep for the entire week last Sunday and packed my lunch for work ahead of time.

My lunches were all the same-garlic butter chicken thighs and bacon, parmesan cauliflower puree.  I also had some hard boiled eggs for snacking.

Dinners were/are:

Sun -pizza for wife and son, pizza quesadilla with low carb tortilla for me

Mon-burgers, no bun for me

Tues-garlic parmesan chicken thighs

Wed-bacon and eggs

Thu-chicken salad 

Fri-fried chicken for wife and son, roasted thighs for me

Sat-chili!

I've had celery and peanut butter for snacks as needed.

I've realized I'm not a strict Keto diet but I'm definitely low carb.  My carb intake was a little higher than planned but my body still got back in to ketosis after the disaster that was the holiday season.  

My budget for the year is created and expense tracking is going well.  I'm using an simple app that I can share with my wife.  Any purchases or bills paid and we just log it before we leave the store.  

Reading every night before bed (currently Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard).  Definitely helps me wind down.  

I have some ideas for the vacations/trips, just have to talk to the wife about them before hitting the planning stage.

I'm not going to hit my exercise goal this week BUT I am taking stairs at work every day, every chance I get!

Overall I'm feeling great! My appointment on Monday went so well that I don't have to go back until next year.  Blood pressure is "beautiful" according to the doc.  So im calling this week a win overall.  

So I didn't check in last week. Overall it was a good week. I did have some issues with my carb intake and finally figured out the issue was with the tracking software I was using.  Well, more like the options I was choosing in the software weren't as accurate as I originally thought.  So this week is about accountability and making sure that the food I'm putting in my tracker is as accurate as possible.  

While exercising still hasn't become a regular thing I am working on it.  I'm using the stairs at work all the time.  With a soon to be 2 year old I find it hard to make time for my exercise goals.  I will have to reevaluate things and try to incorporate this in to my next challenge.

So, overall my experience was positive.  Due to some technical issues I haven't been able to check in as much as I would like.  I was also trying to track my progress on a spreadsheet, which I lost thanks to the technical issues.  

I've been tracking my food intake consistently and have had a good outcome.   Even with the hiccups halfway through the challenge I managed to get back on track and lost about 6.5 lbs during the 4 week period!

I've been taking stairs EVERY day multiple times a day.  This has been my primary source of increased activity.  Reading was the easiest part of the challenge.  I think I missed all of 1 day and that was while I was sick.  

I've managed to plan out 3 of the 4 "vacations" so I'll take that as a win.  I have been able to create my budget and track spending for the month and I just have to update it to finalize the month.

Sum it up: 1) Got started. 2) Got screwed up on my carb intake. 3) Got sick.  4) Had technical issues.  5) Got a promotion.  6) got back on track. 7) Ended on the high notes.