• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Raider_Nate

Best form of cardio for weight loss

A majority of my cardio consists of elliptical and jogging. I occasionally do sprint intervals. I also do weight training a few times a week. Elliptical seems to burn more calories if the machine is correct but I don’t feel like it’s working as much as when I jog or sprint. I’m more sore after jogging or sprinting. What does everyone feel is most effective for weight loss even besides elliptical, or running? 

Couple of points:

1) the calorie counters on machines lie - try a more accurate calculator like this one for a rough estimate 

2) soreness is not an indicator for efficacy

3) the best exercise is whatever you will do consistently and enjoy - the second best is whichever exercises contribute towards your goals (eg. aerobic capacity, long distance endurance, strength, speed, etc), since each activity will help with different things

And bear in mind that how people define 'cardio' is a bit of a misnomer - circuit weight training taxes the cardiovascular system, but most people don't think of it as 'cardio'. As a rule of thumb, if you can hold a conversation during the activity it's considered low intensity (also sometimes called aerobic exercise). If you're breathing harder that's a good indication that you're moving towards a higher intensity workout (moving towards anaerobic, it's a spectrum). Both are useful for cardiovascular health (and therefore can be defined as 'cardio), but they also cause different hormonal reactions as well as different caloric expenditure - and they also have different recovery needs.

Just like strength training, you can design your cardio schedule & activities around how you like to balance the triad of Intensity-Frequency-Volume. You can experiment, and see what works best for you!

Lots of people like to add 20min of medium intensity cardio after weight lifting (eg. swimming laps, moderately paced treadmill or elliptical, rowing, etc), and then aim for higher intensity on cardio-only days (eg. running, climber intervals, etc). Others prefer to focus on longer, more frequent low intensity exercises (eg. walking outside at a brisk pace for 1hr every day, hiking, reading a book at moderate pace on a stationary bike, etc.) in order to have better recovery capacity for higher intensity weight lifting workouts. There's no 'one right answer', it's just 'what I enjoy and will stick with'. Sometimes it can even vary between weeks - for example, maybe you aim for lower intensity work when you're stressed at work, and then higher intensity when you're feeling energetic.

'Hope that helps!

• Like 1

When losing weight you should make sure that it does not endangers your health.  You can eat healthy food drink so much water and use some natural adding for food.

the best exercise is whatever you will do consistently and enjoy - the second best is whichever exercises contribute towards your goals (eg. aerobic capacity, long distance endurance, strength, speed, etc), since each activity will help with different things

When I saw your title I came here to post essentially this. I used to run, and while it did help with my goals for a while, I couldn't stick to it because I hated doing it. I just was under the impression that was the only thing I could do, for some reason. You won't lose weight if you don't do it, and you don't do it if you don't like to do it.

Don't trust what the machines tell you about calories burned. Chances are they weren't normed by people like you, so your best bet is to ignore them. Focus on what is fun and what will help you do what you need to do with your cardio goals.
  • Like 1

For  building a better stamina, keep doing what you are doing. For fat loss, low intensity (aerobic) cardio like quick walks. Combine with weight training and it is a very effective way. Either do the low intensity cardio first thing in the morning or after a gym session. also, make sure to be active everyday. What a lot of people do, maybe not you, is that they workout several days a week but don´t do anything the rest of the week. So when you have a restday from the gym, go for a walk!

Edited by Hazard
Link removed.